IGNORED

Joy & Austin 30: Who Needs Fire Safety when You Have Jesus?

HerNameIsBuffy

• 3 weeks later...

Austin's family past TV stint resurfaces... look at the way the siblings look at the newcomers! 

Anyone knows where to find the full episode?

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

Does Austin’s sister ever look like him. Wonder what ideals he brought with him to the marriage? I really hope Austin and Joy are creating their own ideals. I know they are apt to be super conservative and anti-most everything I hold dear, however, I hope they are making their own choices and not merely falling back on what they experienced. I do like their work ethic; it is noticeable when you compare it to the Duggars. 

• Upvote 10

35 minutes ago, Markie said:

Does Austin’s sister ever look like him. Wonder what ideals he brought with him to the marriage? I really hope Austin and Joy are creating their own ideals. I know they are apt to be super conservative and anti-most everything I hold dear, however, I hope they are making their own choices and not merely falling back on what they experienced. I do like their work ethic; it is noticeable when you compare it to the Duggars. 

I was thinking that about his dad...Austin is the spitting image of his father.

• Upvote 7

This is off topic, but I found it a bit silly that the American version of world's strictest parents continued to call it that when all the families they sent kids to were American. The UK and Australian versions sent kids all around the world. It is completely irrelevant, but just bugs me a little.?

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, medimus said:

This is off topic, but I found it a bit silly that the American version of world's strictest parents continued to call it that when all the families they sent kids to were American. The UK and Australian versions sent kids all around the world. It is completely irrelevant, but just bugs me a little.?

Because America IS the world. In its own opinion.

(usual disclaimers apply, not all Americans etc)

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 21
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, medimus said:

I did see the one with Austin's family, and then can't remember why, but I tuned into it again, I guess got the UK version, and was totally struck by the difference. UK kids who went to live with a family in Jamaica and there was an actually loving transformation. So different from "here is your boot camp."

• Upvote 9

21 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

Because America IS the world. In its own opinion.

(usual disclaimers apply, not all Americans etc)

Wait, we're not? rude full house GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 22
  • Love 1

On 1/22/2020 at 12:29 PM, medimus said:

You know that the US baseball championship is called the World Series?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 1/22/2020 at 9:29 AM, medimus said:

I would love to see the versions of this show from non English-speaking countries. I've watched so much of it uploaded it to YouTube.

Some of the non US parents are absolutely amazing.

I'm fairly certain that some differences in the show have to do with it airing on CMT here. That's one of our good 'ol Murica channels. Not everyone gets it. The programs are marketed to people like the Duggars.

CMT's current programming consists of original southern lifestyle and reality shows and acquired general entertainment programming unrelated to country music. The

Edited by AliceInFundyland
CMT = Country Music Television - last bit is from the Wikipedia article
  • Upvote 1

And to be even more fair to baseball, there are players who come from around the world and play for MLB teams.

• Upvote 4

On 1/22/2020 at 6:29 PM, medimus said:

I think it’s because there is definitely a mentality that in the USA everything is bigger/better/greater/harder/most complicated/most successful/most diverse ... and therefore also strictest. It might be a prejudice but this attitude of superlatives is something I notice a lot when I talk or listen to people from there. Sometimes it’s pretty annoying and obvious but even detectable when I talk to the more liberal, open people that are very educated and interested in other cultures (like around here). It’s nothing bad per se but it can get tiring. 
Anyhow, it’s not as if my folks aren’t  met with some pretty accurate clichés. 

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I think it’s because there is definitely a mentality that in the USA everything is bigger/better/greater/harder/most complicated/most successful/most diverse ... and therefore also strictest. It might be a prejudice but this attitude of superlatives is something I notice a lot when I talk or listen to people from there. Sometimes it’s pretty annoying and obvious but even detectable when I talk to the more liberal, open people that are very educated and interested in other cultures (like around here). It’s nothing bad per se but it can get tiring. 
Anyhow, it’s not as if my folks aren’t  met with some pretty accurate clichés. 

Personally when I visited I was dissapointed that the American National Gallery of Art was so Eurocentric with some American paintings (The American paintings I get, but why is the rest all Europe, why isn't there art from other locations?).

For comparison to the one we have in Australia I provide you links to the pages with maps:

America:

https://www.nga.gov/visit/tours-and-guides/map-and-visitors-guide.html

Australia:

https://nga.gov.au/visiting/default.cfm

The buildings are potentially about the same size (with the Australian one maybe being a bit smaller?).

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Someone Out There said:

Personally when I visited I was dissapointed that the American National Gallery of Art was so Eurocentric with some American paintings (The American paintings I get, but why is the rest all Europe, why isn't there art from other locations?).

Because Americans are taught that America is the child of Europe and Europe is where culture comes from.  So racism, basically. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

The US is geographically a lot closer to Europe than it is to Asia, so rich people from the US have historically had better access to European art. Most art ends up in museum through donations from private collections - the US National Gallery is largely built around donations from five families. Other museums in Washington DC do have art from other parts of the world, notably the Sackler (Asian) and the National Museum of African Art. Major collections on the west coast of the US have more Asian art. Museums in the southwest tend to have more Latin American art. The US is not the best at everything, but we also are not always the worst (and we definitely do not have a monopoly on racism).

Edited by mpheels
  • Upvote 13

3 hours ago, Someone Out There said:

For comparison to the one we have in Australia I provide you links to the pages with maps:

America:

https://www.nga.gov/visit/tours-and-guides/map-and-visitors-guide.html

Australia:

https://nga.gov.au/visiting/default.cfm

The buildings are potentially about the same size (with the Australian one maybe being a bit smaller?).

There’s a Smithsonian American Art Museum. It shares the old Patent Office building with the National Portrait Gallery. They’re across the street from the FRC (Josh’s ex-employer). Although everyone thinks that the National Gallery of Art is part of the Smithsonian, it’s not. The Smithsonian one is the one that focuses on American Art.

https://www.si.edu/Museums/american-art-museum

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

18 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

There’s a Smithsonian American Art Museum. It shares the old Patent Office building with the National Portrait Gallery. They’re across the street from the FRC (Josh’s ex-employer). Although everyone thinks that the National Gallery of Art is part of the Smithsonian, it’s not. The Smithsonian one is the one that focuses on American Art.

https://www.si.edu/Museums/american-art-museum

I forgot about the American Art Museum! Plus there are significant collections of traditional/folk arts in the Smithsonian American Indian museum. And tons of works from US artists in the National Portrait Gallery. Plus the Hirshorn (which I don’t like as much as National Gallery East, but they support contemporary artists from all around the world). What it really boils down to is fine art collections in the US are decentralized. I don’t think there is any one museum that captures the full breadth of what is available across the major US collections. It’s unfortunate that the National Gallery is named in a way that makes it seem to be the biggest/best/most important collection, because it is not, IMHO.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, mpheels said:

I forgot about the American Art Museum! Plus there are significant collections of traditional/folk arts in the Smithsonian American Indian museum. And tons of works from US artists in the National Portrait Gallery. Plus the Hirshorn (which I don’t like as much as National Gallery East, but they support contemporary artists from all around the world). What it really boils down to is fine art collections in the US are decentralized. I don’t think there is any one museum that captures the full breadth of what is available across the major US collections. It’s unfortunate that the National Gallery is named in a way that makes it seem to be the biggest/best/most important collection, because it is not, IMHO.

I wouldn't expect a gallery to have the full breadth of what is available (I know the ones in Australia don't).  I was just surprised that it was essentially a European collection with some American Art and I expected a bit more variety from around the world given it was the National Gallery.  Potentially it is overshadowed by the Smithsonian and all the buildings and collections it has which is why it has concentrated on what it has.

I did enjoy the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC, but I think that was a larger building as well.

3 hours ago, mpheels said:

The US is geographically a lot closer to Europe than it is to Asia, so rich people from the US have historically had better access to European art. 

Agree with your post in general, and thanks for the museum listings - just wanted to point out that the above depends on where in the US you are. San Francisco is as close to Tokyo as it is to Paris, and Mexico is a shorter drive than Portland. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

I had a dream last night that Joy & Austin had a baby girl and they named her Science. I don't remember what her middle name was - but in my dream, I came in here and we were just ripping the name to shreds. Can't top Spurgeon - but also - the irony of a Duggar naming their kid Science? 

I've been having messed up dreams lately.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 26
  • Love 1

I'm calling it now - Science Evolution Forsyth, first of her name, breaker of fundie values, queen of her own throne.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 23
  • Love 3

22 hours ago, NoKidsAndCounting said:

I'm calling it now - Science Evolution Forsyth, first of her name, breaker of fundie values, queen of her own throne.

and hopefully? good at science. Otherwise - that's just mean.

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic