IGNORED

Katie and Travis: Will It Last?

PurpleCats

5 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

You think they will officially courting before Trace and Chaney? Even if we are still not sure if Traney are courting or getting to know or what else...

I could see an announce from one of them (Katie or Tace) be made around Christmas, or if not for Christmas for the "I love you day". I guess will see pretty soon.

Honestly think trace is courting and that was what the article was for. But something got messed up along the way with wording. Kelly did say they were courting later. I mean did any of the other siblings get an article just for dating?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

time for some BEC . . .

I noticed Katie and Travis went to Fogo de Chao for their NYC dinner date. It's a nicer chain restaurant located in bigger cities across the US. Out of all the amazing and trendy places in NYC, that's what they chose? Almost reminds me of the Rods and how they'd be sure to check out the Olive Garden ;) 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

58 minutes ago, kmachete14 said:

time for some BEC . . .

I noticed Katie and Travis went to Fogo de Chao for their NYC dinner date. It's a nicer chain restaurant located in bigger cities across the US. Out of all the amazing and trendy places in NYC, that's what they chose? Almost reminds me of the Rods and how they'd be sure to check out the Olive Garden ;) 

To be fair they are young, clueless, sheltered 18 year olds what can you really expect? ?

I am happy she did get to experience some of NYC though. 

• Upvote 10

9 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

time for some BEC . . .

Several reasons:

1.The closest location to them is in Atlanta, so they almost certainly haven’t been there before.

2. It’s a flat-rate all-you-can eat buffet, so no surprises when the check arrives. That’s especially helpful if UP or their families are paying. (But I’m guessing it was filmed and the restaurant paid for the publicity or at least comped their meal.)

3. They’re hungry young people, so they want ALL THE FOOD.

4. Brazilian food probably does sound exotic to them. If they’re nervous about trying a new cuisine, it’s reassuring to be able to get something else if they don’t like the first thing they try.

They’re probably exactly the kind of customers FdeC wants (tourists wanting something just a little different), so it’s a good partnership (assuming it is one).

Right after I posted this, I checked Facebook, where Fogo de Chao popped up immediately to suggest itself for my holiday feasting.

Edited by QuiverFullofBooks
ETA FB ad
  • Upvote 7

Even though it's a chain I'd put Fogo a few notches above the Olive Garden. Several.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I think it’s probably their youth. I lived near Chicago in my late teens and whenever we went into the city we always ended up at the Cheesecake Factory. ?

• Upvote 10

If Travis really courtposed on this trip, when do you think we will hear from them? Maybe I love you day? I don't see them announcing something around Christmas, but maybe after new year day? ?

• Upvote 2

When we went to NY over the summer we stayed pretty normal with the type of food we ate since I am really picky and if I go to a new place for the first time I don't want the food I eat to change too. I ate what I usually ate but just at New York restaurants we had never heard of before. I think the most well known restaurant we ate at was Hell's Kitchen during our first night there. Actually it's funny because my aunt got all her food recommendations from a guy she knows who used to be in the Book of Mormon. He has a good taste in food though. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Oh Travistie (Travis-Tee rhymes with Katie) as an apt couple name?

This had my vote! It may be the best fundie couple name I’ve heard ?

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I'm sure it's simply a matter of them being young with a very limited world view. They probably think that's a really exotic restaurant choice. 

This is a prime example of why I am super particular about who I travel with, because nothing drives me more bonkers than going to a new place and eating at chain restaurants. I live in a pretty small area that doesn't have a giant selection of chain restaurants (mostly local seafood and specialty places because I'm in a resort area). We also don't have much in the way of shopping so it's not uncommon for us to drive 1.5 hrs go to make a Target/Mall/Sam's run and go eat somewhere we don't that often. Don't get me wrong, I love Panera as much as the next person and there are plenty of times when I'm in another town shopping we go there or PF Changs, etc. But when traveling to a large city or some new vacation spot I'm all about finding the favorite local spots.

My last work trip to NYC I had a really picky person with me. We were leaving the convention we were at to walk back to our hotel and ended up at Olive Garden....in NYC....because every place I tried to get her to stop "looked dirty". I finally threw up the white flag we just ate there because I was starving and tired after a long day and was just ready to eat and get back to our hotel. I have another friend who I would have to travel with on some work trips and she used to be the same way. She was also a very nervous traveler and finally I had to start telling her she was either going to have to get on board with my restaurant picks or we could go our own ways for dinner. She'd NEVER venture around a new place on her own so she didn't have a choice but to come with me after that. ?

• Upvote 8

Tourists very, very often stick with places they know or know of when they visit NYC - that's why all the most touristy areas are full of chain restaurants that don't really exist in other parts of the city. You know your neighborhood is about to go to shit when an Applebee's moves in. ?

(Speaking as someone who lives in NYC with several chains popping up in my area over the last few years! No Olive Garden yet, though...)

• Upvote 5

Is Fogo de Chao not an expensive, nice restaurant for most of you? I'm really surprised at some of the responses. You're not really getting out of that place without spending at least $70 per person, sans alcohol (which is on par with the local, renowned French restaurant in my area that everyone gets engaged at). Bethesda, Maryland is pretty uppity and people go there on nice dates all the time. You have to make a reservation for Friday or Saturday nights. 

I understand wanting to try a local place while traveling, but I'm just really surprised some people think it's like going to Red Lobster for prom. Maybe I'm out of the loop here.  Do you guys think of Ruth's Chris as a mid range restaurant too?

Also, I'm pretty sure there isn't a FdC in their area, so it makes since they'd want to try it, since "exotic" is relative. My friend recently had family visit the D.C. area from out of town and they wanted to have their "splurge dinner" there since they'd heard about it but didn't have one anywhere near them. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

I understand wanting to try a local place while traveling, but I'm just really surprised some people think it's like going to Red Lobster for prom. Maybe I'm out of the loop here.  Do you guys think of Ruth's Chris as a mid range restaurant too?

I think of both FdC and Ruth's Chris as chain restaurants. We don't have either one of them here, and I don't particularly want them to come and push out local businesses that already exist. I won't say no to FdC while traveling, but I'm also not putting on a dress. I've never been to a Ruth's Chris, but one of my friends posted some pics of one while on vacation. She's also a fan of the Olive Garden so I figure RC is something like a more expensive/higher quality Texas Roadhouse/Outback/Cattle Company.

• Upvote 6

The best restaurants around here all look like they've failed the health inspection. Lots of hole-in-the-wall mom and pop places, a few local chains (I'd sell my soul for Roberto's and they just opened one across the street, literally). Hubs and I used to pick one of those places a month and go to eat there. I REALLY want to hit the Cuban place again but it's on the strip...and well, that ain't happening. Gonna have to see if they're on Grubhub or something. You know the Chinese is good when half the Asian population is there on any given night. Then, of course, if you want upscale and seriously expensive, that's available too. But, that's on the strip and I ain't going. I mean, Wolfgang Puck (I wasn't that impressed), a few other fancy places...I prefer the hole-in-the-wall joints, great food, not expensive, no "dress code".

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, feministxtian said:

The best restaurants around here all look like they've failed the health inspection. Lots of hole-in-the-wall mom and pop places, a few local chains (I'd sell my soul for Roberto's and they just opened one across the street, literally). Hubs and I used to pick one of those places a month and go to eat there. I REALLY want to hit the Cuban place again but it's on the strip...and well, that ain't happening. Gonna have to see if they're on Grubhub or something. You know the Chinese is good when half the Asian population is there on any given night. Then, of course, if you want upscale and seriously expensive, that's available too. But, that's on the strip and I ain't going. I mean, Wolfgang Puck (I wasn't that impressed), a few other fancy places...I prefer the hole-in-the-wall joints, great food, not expensive, no "dress code".

What do you think of Lotus of Siam? Food Network makes a huge deal about it, but I thought it wasn’t any better than my local suburban places in Northern Virginia.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Is Fogo de Chao not an expensive, nice restaurant for most of you? I'm really surprised at some of the responses. You're not really getting out of that place without spending at least $70 per person, sans alcohol (which is on par with the local, renowned French restaurant in my area that everyone gets engaged at). Bethesda, Maryland is pretty uppity and people go there on nice dates all the time. You have to make a reservation for Friday or Saturday nights. 

Also, I'm pretty sure there isn't a FdC in their area, so it makes since they'd want to try it, since "exotic" is relative. My friend recently had family visit the D.C. area from out of town and they wanted to have their "splurge dinner" there since they'd heard about it but didn't have one anywhere near them. 

I think most people are really just reacting to the fact that with all the choices in NYC, they picked a chain restaurant. It really speaks more to me about how "country" they are and how sheltered as opposed to the chain being necessarily bad. However, if this was filmed for UP, there is a good chance that they didn't have a choice. So it might only speak to product placement.

• Upvote 7

13 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I've never even heard of Fogo de Chao so I have no real opinion about it, but I think the reaction is more about them choosing a chain rather than a local place, not how expensive the restaurant is. Any chain is going to be less special since it can be found in a lot of places - although I get choosing to go there if they've heard about it and there isn't one near them. And not everyone wants to go out of their way to find and decide on a great local place if they don't have any context for what is around.

I also would guess, as suggested above, that this is as likely to be product placement as it is to be their actual choice.

• Upvote 5

It's just that in NYC the streets are literally LINED with local, pop-up, or mom & pop restaurants. Many are super trendy with unique menus and crazy interior design aesthetics. Well known or celebrity chefs will release limited menus. Some are super intimate and romantic with only five tables. There are constantly articles coming out of the "top new restaurants." Most can't be found anywhere else in the country and are one of a kind. Expensive menus aren't the only threshold for a cool NYC spot! 

It's not like a suburban downtown where you pick the most expensive one and it's probably the nicest. Fogo de Chao is expensive, but it's not a unique NYC experience. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I know people who flat out refuse to eat at a non-chain restaurant. And strongly prefer national chains at that but will consider regional chains if no national ones are available. They would not eat at FDC because it's way too exotic.

I went to NYC with a person like that and they wouldn't eat ANY pizza. Said they only wanted to eat at a REAL restaurant (meaning a chain) and then suggested that we go to a pizza hut. I refused. After much squabbling, we ended up at Shake Shack and they complained the rest of the time that we had to eat there bc they wanted a real restaurant. Never again will I travel with them.

I think Ruth's Chris is definitely nicer than Outback or Olive Garden. And would be a good choice for a birthday dinner or anniversary if you wanted to have a nicer than average/special experience. You wouldn't go there for a normal dinner out (at least most people don't seem to go there on a random Tuesday, imo) but it's not so special that I'd want to choose it while on vacation. I haven't been to FDC but I'd be willing to try it if I were ever in a suburb type place that had one.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1

6 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

What do you think of Lotus of Siam? Food Network makes a huge deal about it, but I thought it wasn’t any better than my local suburban places in Northern Virginia.

never been there. We preferred the not fancy places...I've never been impressed by Food Network choices. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Kelsey said:

I went to NYC with a person like that and they wouldn't eat ANY pizza. Said they only wanted to eat at a REAL restaurant (meaning a chain) and then suggested that we go to a pizza hut. I refused. After much squabbling, we ended up at Shake Shack and they complained the rest of the time that we had to eat there bc they wanted a real restaurant. Never again will I travel with them.

The answer to that is to either decide in advance who picks which meal, (barring anything like "im deathly allergic to seafood, veto) and then stick to it. If it was your turn, then she can pick the next one. Although I'd just be annoyed that I was wasting a meal on Pizza Hut, which I would likely only eat if every other pizza place barring Papa Johns has gone out of business. (And maybe Sabbaro, which, is that still a thing?) Or you know, try to appeal to reason. "Friend, we are in New York City. It's known for food! I want to try all the things. What if we split up and meet up after dinner, if you are so intent on eating greasy pizza?"

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Kelsey said:

I know people who flat out refuse to eat at a non-chain restaurant. And strongly prefer national chains at that but will consider regional chains if no national ones are available. They would not eat at FDC because it's way too exotic.

This is hilarious to me, I've never met anyone like that! I know a lot of people who are the complete opposite, they'll never eat at a chain. You can do that very easily in NYC though, it would be a lot harder to always eat at a chain. I think if I were traveling with someone like that I'd probably volunteer to walk them to the place they wanted and say we can meet up later.

Eating at Pizza Hut in NYC! ?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic