IGNORED

Weird Internet Binges You’ve Been On

smittykins

Lately, I’ve been reading and watching a lot about tiny houses and school-bus-to-RV conversions.  Admittedly, they would be kind of fun; I lived in efficiency/studio apartments for over 20 years, so the lack of space wouldn’t faze me. But as someone with a disability, I can’t do ladders, steps without railings, or lofts(I do know there are companies which manufacture accessible THs).  Plus, since I don’t drive, a bus would make absolutely no sense.

Oh well, I can dream, can’t I? ?

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

The labor unions of the early 20th century. There was a documentary on PBS about the Bisbee Deportation, and I ended up reading about it, the IWW, Big Bill Heywood, the Western Federation of Miners, Harry Orchard, the assassination of former Governor Frank Steunenberg (and the subsequent trial with William Borah on one side and Clarence Darrow on the other), and a little bit about the AFL-CIO to top it off. Some of the stuff I remembered from US History, some of it was new. And either my teacher got it wrong, about Harry Orchard being involved with the Wobblies, or I remembered it wrong. 

Once I got enough information to satisfy my curiosity, I was finished. It didn't lead to any new rabbit holes. ?

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...

Moar weird:  employee training videos, including this loss-prevention-in -the-fitting-room from Ames(defunct discount department store chain)featuring Rappin’ Grandma!

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...

OK, now I’m watching videos of someone playing different iterations of the DOOM video game.  This was a favorite of my gamer husband, and even I was known to play it on occasion, albeit on the lowest difficulty setting.  I’m a bit of a fraidy-cat. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

In a different thread, I mentioned that I’ve been researching alternatives to the Tidy Cats Breeze litter pellets, which are good but pricey(I’m leaning towards trying pine pellets).  Now I’ve stumbled upon DIY litterbox videos, which usually involve plastic storage containers with a cutout for entry.  The idea of me wielding a super-sharp knife to cut plastic...let’s just say that it wouldn’t end well. ? 

• Upvote 2

My favorite binges:

Jeffree Star (particularly the series with Shane Dawson, they are just so funny together)

videos on nuns/monks/monastic life in general (that's quite the juxtaposition with the above, lol)

Variety's Actors on Actors series (I have probably watched the Hugh Jackman/Emily Blunt one at least 5 times)

Inside the Actors Studio

Serial killer docs

Paranormal investigation videos (love the British series Most Haunted)

Bad Lip Reading videos

Justine Leconte and Audrey Coyne

Houseplant videos (Summer Rayne Oaks is the best)

Keezi Walks - youtube channel where this person just walks through cities all over the world with the camera on.  LOVE 

As my pinterest profile says....nothing if not eclectic.  ;)

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

My favorite binges:

Jeffree Star (particularly the series with Shane Dawson, they are just so funny together)

I love them both so much! Jeffree is relaxing for me to watch for some reason, and he’s very hella Scorpio like myself. I’ve been watching Shane off and on since he first started on Youtube, and I love how they’ve teamed up. 

57 minutes ago, dripcurl said:

I love them both so much! Jeffree is relaxing for me to watch for some reason,

As they would say - SAME.  LOL

I just adore Jeffree.  I think he is the real deal and incredibly intelligent.  He literally worked his way up from NOTHING to now have one of the most successful makeup brands in the country.  And yes, I teared up when I learned he and Nate broke up.  After losing two dogs last year....ugh.  But have you seen his new palette coming out next week, it is INSANE.  So gorgeous (and I don't wear makeup). :D

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I have this little game I play with real estate and geography, and I can get sucked in for entire weekends.  I pick a random spot on google maps with street view and look around for a bit.  then I go to a real estate database and see what's for sale there.  if I find a property I like, I go back to street view and find it.  then pick a new location and do it again.

while I'm doing chores, I listen to the Cinema Snob.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, catlady said:

I have this little game I play with real estate and geography, and I can get sucked in for entire weekends.  I pick a random spot on google maps with street view and look around for a bit.  then I go to a real estate database and see what's for sale there.  if I find a property I like, I go back to street view and find it.  then pick a new location and do it again.

Love this!  I love looking at crazy listings on realtor.com (like yesterday I saw a Central Park West home for 63 million).  I also regularly check both my grandmothers' old neighborhoods to see what is for sale and how they look.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I still search apartment listings on Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace, even though I’m happy where I am.  I’ll go through and say, “That’s too expensive, they don’t allow cats, that one’s on the second floor...”(I’m disabled and need a first-floor apartment).

Edited by smittykins
Remove extraneous comma
  • Upvote 3

Related to my first post on this thread, now it’s “microapartments,” generally in New York City that have insanely high rents.  Many of them don’t have a real kitchen—they’re lucky to have a mini fridge and a microwave/toaster oven—and a few lack a bathroom(tenants had to share one down the hall)!  The studios I lived in were in the same building(a former hospital), and at least I had a sink/stove/fridge at one end and my own bathroom.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Related to my first post on this thread, now it’s “microapartments,” generally in New York City that have insanely high rents.  Many of them don’t have a real kitchen—they’re lucky to have a mini fridge and a microwave/toaster oven—and a few lack a bathroom(tenants had to share one down the hall)!  The studios I lived in were in the same building(a former hospital), and at least I had a sink/stove/fridge at one end and my own bathroom.

Until you added your personal experience, I was going to joke that I thought all NYC apartments were "microapartments" with insanely high rents :pb_lol:

• Upvote 1

I’m willing to bet all NYC apartments of any size are insanely expensive. :pb_lol:

(I don’t live anywhere near NYC—I’m between Rochester and Syracuse—but the three studios were all in my town’s former hospital.)

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/13/2020 at 7:34 PM, smittykins said:

In a different thread, I mentioned that I’ve been researching alternatives to the Tidy Cats Breeze litter pellets, which are good but pricey(I’m leaning towards trying pine pellets).  Now I’ve stumbled upon DIY litterbox videos, which usually involve plastic storage containers with a cutout for entry.  The idea of me wielding a super-sharp knife to cut plastic...let’s just say that it wouldn’t end well. ? 

Related to the above, now it’s been DIY litterbox enclosures.  Which is weird, because I have no intention of making or buying said enclosure.(I keep my litterbox in the “laundry room,” although I don’t actually have a washer or dryer.)

• Upvote 2

diseases i don't have, conspiracy theories I don't believe in, ancient comedy shows with (then) current events jokes I don't understand, fan fiction about shows that I don't watch...

i have no life

• Haha 1
  • Love 3

I've been looking at a lot of recipes and realize that I've never heard of lots of ingredients, techniques, cooking equipment, etc., that are apparently understood by many cooks.  There's a whole culinary world out there outside of top ramen and canned chili!

Another interest I've had is worldwide weather.  Now that I can't travel, apparently it keeps me sane to know what the weather is like in places I can't visit.

:sad-bored:

• Upvote 1

On 2/22/2020 at 4:07 AM, smittykins said:

I found myself watching this video the other day:

• Upvote 2

Tucking the bed into that corner would make changing the sheets difficult. The fitted sheet would be a bear.

8 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

fan fiction about shows that I don't watch

If you need some really great laughs, check out the "Keeping Up With The Cullens" blog. This woman takes screenshots from the characters in the Twilight series and makes them up to look like a cheesy reality show. It helps to have at least some knowledge of the Twilight Saga, but even if you don't, the jokes are funny.

Also, Cinema Sins on YouTube is great. His review of "Titanic" made me laugh for days.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

• 1 month later...

My two most recent:

1.  Action Park in Vernon, NJ, which had the reputation as “the most dangerous amusement park in America.”  A book written by the son of the founder just came out, plus there are several documentaries, some of which are on YouTube.

2. Opening and closing credits for Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood, especially the very early seasons, when it was still on NET(which became PBS in 1970).

• Upvote 1