IGNORED

Weird Internet Binges You’ve Been On

smittykins

Earlier this week, the SO and I were having a discussion about politics. I mentioned that our (hopefully going to be recalled) "governor" isn't even from our state, he's from Scranton. The SO was like "well, so is Joe Biden." And I realized and said "I think I know more about Cher than Joe Biden" (I'm still going to vote for him) And of course, we had to prove it. Turns out, I DO know more about Cher than Joe Biden. And also Brittney, Christina, Lady Gaga, Amy Winehouse, and even Taylor Swift. 

But that lead me down a Sonny and Cher rabbit hole and if it wasn't for covid, I would be booking a Cher concert in Vegas and associated travel. 

And now I also know the life story of Joe Biden. Which is tragically sad, just like most female pop artists, but in a different way. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Lately I've been going down the document cloud rabbit hole.  That's one of the sites that news organizations and journalists use to store and display primary source documents on web sites. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Now I've dived head first into the sovereign citizen rabbit hole, watching videos where they flame out when they try pulling their bullshit on law enforcement and judges.  Been watching some of the reaction videos from people like natalielawyerchick.  For example this one of the agent, the settler, the individual, and the person David Hall being told he's not leaving jail.

If I go in to small town practice I get the feeling I'm gonna be coming across some of these sovereign citizen cannons of douche.

• Upvote 4

Sovereign Citizens can range from wacky wingnut to the truly homicidal. 

When I lived in SW corner of Colorado many years ago (25+), one Sovereign Citizen decided that not getting a septic permit/completion inspection from the county was THE hill they would die on.  

There was also the truly bizarre incident in  SW Colorado at the end of May 1998, when three guys stole a parked water truck near Durango, headed west, killed a police officer outside Cortez, and continued west through McElmo Canyon.  IIRC, one of the three left the group near Hovenweep National Monument and probably died not long after.  A second person set up a sniper's nest just outside Bluff, Utah and shot, but did not kill, a policeman.  The remains of the third man were found many years later. 

I found this all absolutely fascinating because I worked in the area between Cortez, CO and Bluff, Utah for many years, so the landmarks were all very familiar.  It's rugged, rugged canyon and mesa country. 

This all spawned one of the biggest (and least coordinated) manhunts in the history of the West and resulted in two books:  

Dead Run: The Murder of a Lawman and the Greatest Manhunt in the History of the West 

FBI Diary: Home Grown Terror 

If interested, I'd suggest reading the books in the order listed above. 

There is no evidence of what the ultimate motive was for these three. Some suggested that the water truck was stolen to ultimately create a fertilizer bomb, similar to that devised by Timothy McVeigh, to possibly blow up Glen Canyon Dam, but no one really knows. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

I've been re-watching On This Day in Tudor History and videos from Inked magazine.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

And now I'm proceeding down the Judge Jeffrey Middleton 3B District Court rabbit hole.

This judge is having an interesting run of Ds lately in his virtual court room.

Oh, Zoom court! I just can’t quit you! Lawyers have had a… hard time adjusting to the new virtual world. Let’s review: there was the lawyer caught shoveling food in his face while on camera, another responding to a judge with “sneaky bitch,” the classic having sex on camera during a hearing, or the disturbing sharing your racist views with the world when you thought you were no longer recording, and it’s been a lot. Even with vaccine rollout rapidly picking up pace, the benefits of online court proceedings are real, so we don’t expect them to stop any time soon.

Perhaps you’ve heard of the latest Zoom court debacle. A Michigan man was set to be sentenced after entering a plea for having no insurance and driving with a suspended license. He appeared in court, from the inside of car… in the driver’s seat… and yes, he still had a suspended license.

Judge Jeffrey Middleton called out the defendant for his unpaid fines, and yeah, he noted the whole appearing-in-court-from-the-driver’s-seat-while-having-a-suspended-license thing:

This isn’t the first time Judge Middleton and APA Davis have gone viral for their legal work. As a writer on the internet, I admire the clicks the pair has generated. In their last brush with acclaim, Davis was the prosecutor who noticed something was amiss during a hearing in an assault case, and it turned out that defendant was appearing at the hearing FROM THE VICTIM’S HOUSE, despite having a no-contact order. In that case, Judge Middleton immediately revoked bail, and had the defendant taken into custody.

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Lately, I’ve been watching clips from the “I’m From Driftwood”(first-person LGBTQ stories)and “Gays With Kids” channels on YouTube.

I’m a straight woman.

• Thank You 1

I've gone down a rabbit hole of Mennonite wedding videos....so very interesting to see the extent to which these weddings look the same or different from non Mennonite weddings. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Now I'm on the various organists playing the wedding procession music from Sound of Music.

If the FJ YouTube demon knew how to play organ I'd be uploading my own version to YouTube and sharing it here.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

And I just found a Bayeux Tapestry meme generator

I'm already putting it to good use....

BayeuxFT.thumb.png.936ae7cd0983e28f0cd7058874a2ab0d.png

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, 47of74 said:

And I just found a Bayeux Tapestry meme generator

I'm already putting it to good use....

Ooh. If I get a few minutes, I think I'll try to make a medieval version of @happy atheist and @Coconut Flan 's axe murderer meme!

Spoiler

5994d50a531be_axmurderer.jpg.3a45a54be165ec7504bfb.jpg.9c151cfb8d4add72aa7d6fb373a38c08.jpg

"Verily I say to you..." :pb_lol:

• Haha 3

On 5/11/2021 at 4:25 PM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

"Verily I say to you..." :pb_lol:

Well, this is what I came up with...

Spoiler

TheGloriousTaleOfBayeux.thumb.png.ebc3ee496377d100281a7060bf444d57.png

• Love 7

My most recent binge has been “$10/20 weekly grocery store/Dollar Tree emergency food budgets.”  Fortunately, I haven’t been in that situation in awhile, but I did pick up some good ideas, just in case.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Now I'm on to the 11'8" (now 12'4") can opener bridge in Durham, North Carolina and the video of various idiot drivers losing fights with that bridge.

Oh to have been a fly on the wall when the various supervisors of the various drivers found out about the damage.  Like, dude, where the fornicate is the roof?  Or the rental companies when the truck comes back missing parts that were sheared off.

• I Agree 4

@47of74, I’ve been hooked on this for a few months too!  It’s amazing that so many drivers run the light and ignore the sign.  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, catlady said:

@47of74, I’ve been hooked on this for a few months too!  It’s amazing that so many drivers run the light and ignore the sign.  

If I owned a business in the area with trucks of any height beyond a pickup truck my rule would be you don’t go near that bridge in a company vehicle. And cover that in orientation that violations even if there’s no damage are a firing offense. 

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 4

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

I was howling with laughter while watching this:

My husband watched this with me and was reliving fond moments of when he helped move our daughter from Tennessee to Pennsylvania.  He had some fun times trying to park the UHaul truck, especially towing a car.  Who knew you needed skills, lol!  Thanks for posting. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Past few days I've been binging on massage videos on YouTube.  As achey as I've been over the past few weeks it's relaxing to watch those videos and makes me feel a bit better until I cat get in and have someone work on my back a bit.  Especially my lower back.  The massage at O'Hare the other day did a world of good. 

• Upvote 3

Tiny adjustments and houses are fascinating, although I never want to have to actually live in one. I went down the rabbit hole on watching videos of expats living in Japan (mostly in tiny apartments!) which led to watching more videos showing typical soviet designed apartments in Russia. Then various videos about life in small traditional communities in various eastern European countries. I guess I'm just curious how other people live. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

YouTube videos for the Litter Robot.  Being on SSDI, I am in no place financially to drop $500+ on a litter box*(and my Mom would roast me alive if I spent that much on a litter box!), and they sometimes malfunction, and many pet experts discourage them on principle(mainly because you can’t monitor their bathroom habits for any issues).

But…I can’t stop watching.

*Obviously, if any FJers can afford one and it works for you, more power to you. :)

Edited by smittykins

• 2 weeks later...

Judge Middleton had enough of a sovereign citizen the other day.

And following that little incident Ms. Davis spoke for all of us.

• Upvote 1

And here's someone doing a review of the Judge Middleton throw down.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

My latest weird binge is the safety video briefings manufacturing and construction companies have their subcontractors watch;

When I was on a project at a manufacturing plant I had to watch a video similar to the above once each year even though I was in IT and was almost never out on the floor.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Videos of itty bitty kittens learning how to use the litterbox.

I need help. 😛