IGNORED

Lina on Yom Kippur

longskirts

I think in the past women used to fast while pregnant, but now you don't have to fast if you are pregnant or sick. You might not have to fast if you are nursing either. So the three possibilities are that Lina is not pregnant, that she is pregnant but doesn't know it yet, or that she is pregnant but is fasting anyway.

Or she thinks because she had kosher sex that she's immediately pregnant. I suspect she is naive enough to not realize that it doesn't always work the first time...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hum well when I don't drink enough water, my kidneys start to hurt and sometimes I get kind of like low blood sugar, I feel nausea, then I start trembling and then get hot wave. I'm sure that if I had been in a religion practicing fasting I would have had a doctor's note to get out of it lol

It's really weird of her to think she's so special in kosher restaurant... O_o but then is it confirmed that they go to a Messianic place?

Some women are able to get out of fasting for health reasons. But in Orthodoxy there is no blanket exemption for all women who are pregnant or nursing on Yom Kippur.

There was a thread about this on imamother recently, you can get individual exemptions (after talking to your rabbi, where ideally you will bring in the fact that your doctor recommends you fast as PART of the information he's supposed to weigh when offering his yes or no) but it's not a blanket thing. Also some people get a sort of medium answer where they can drink (or maybe eat) but it has to be done in constant small increments.

Arguments then ensued over whether a doctor's recommendation that you shouldn't fast should really be given too much weight, since surely doctors are all looking out to protect themselves and so will over-recommend everyone be cautious more than they REALLY need to, etc.

I'd just like to say I'm no fan of any religion that attempts to control what and when you eat or how you dress. Even less a fan if the rules are different depending on gender.

If a faith is more about control and rules than it is about faith, something's wrong.

Or she thinks because she had kosher sex that she's immediately pregnant. I suspect she is naive enough to not realize that it doesn't always work the first time...

This, this, this... . Another part of the special snowflake syndrome that is Lina and Love.

Possibly stupid question: why don't they have a kosher kitchen? Since they started from scratch when they got married, couldn't they just make it kosher?

Possibly stupid question: why don't they have a kosher kitchen? Since they started from scratch when they got married, couldn't they just make it kosher?

Presumably the kitchen itself was not new - meaning people cooked there before they did and may have cooked non-kosher things. Even if it's brand new you might have to kosher it....not sure. There is a whole process you have to go through to properly kosher your kitchen. I am no expert but I think it involvs a lot of boiling water and possibly a rabbi to give you the ok.

The odd thing to me about this is....if they are worried about their non-kosher kitchen, it doesn't really make sense to only refrain from cooking meat there. Technically they shouldn't cook ANYTHING there until it's done, right? Because they don't know what has been touched by milk, what has been touched by meat, and what has been touched by things that are treif (like pork). So why would you cook there at all???

Here's an article from chabad: http://www.chabad.org/library/article_c ... itchen.htm

What Kosher restaurant could they have found? No real jew breaks fast and runs right out to open his business. They certainly werent doing the prep work during the day...

What Kosher restaurant could they have found? No real jew breaks fast and runs right out to open his business. They certainly werent doing the prep work during the day...

Not true...I don't know about Austin, TX but in Los Angeles tons of kosher restaurants opened late in the evening after yom kippur.

Wow, just read that article about koshering a kitchen. The initial work seems daunting enough, but I'm fascinated by the whole cooking process - not using the same sinks for meat/dairy, the same knives, pots, etc etc. It seems that it would be easier to be vegan than go through all that...maybe I'm just lazy though :)

Presumably the kitchen itself was not new - meaning people cooked there before they did and may have cooked non-kosher things. Even if it's brand new you might have to kosher it....not sure. There is a whole process you have to go through to properly kosher your kitchen. I am no expert but I think it involvs a lot of boiling water and possibly a rabbi to give you the ok.

The odd thing to me about this is....if they are worried about their non-kosher kitchen, it doesn't really make sense to only refrain from cooking meat there. Technically they shouldn't cook ANYTHING there until it's done, right? Because they don't know what has been touched by milk, what has been touched by meat, and what has been touched by things that are treif (like pork). So why would you cook there at all???

Here's an article from chabad: http://www.chabad.org/library/article_c ... itchen.htm

I'm starting to get the feeling that Judaism is a heaven for clean freaks. lol

I see! I wasn't sure what had to be done to make a kitchen kosher. Since they fake their way through everything else, you would think they would do some sort of fake koshering and call it a day. And I am totally confused about why they are okay with eating unkosher vegitarian meals but not meat. I'm not even pretending to be Jewish and even I know that isn't cool. They are weird.

I've always loved the Chabad instructions for koshering. Perhaps Lina and TT don't have a blow torch?
I have to admit that the thought of Lina and TT drying to just DIY and make it up as they go along (as they usually do) in THIS area, with a blow torch aimed and firing, is just... too funny. :lol:

Guest Anonymous
I have to admit that the thought of Lina and TT drying to just DIY and make it up as they go along (as they usually do) in THIS area, with a blow torch aimed and firing, is just... too funny. :lol:

At one point when I was married to my daughters father I had a desire to keep kosher again, without the benefit of dual ovens, refrigerators etc. I was involved in Chabad at the time and they had folks come out to you home to help you kosher a kitchen (Los Angeles). Anyhow these Bubbies pulled up in a huge old black Lincoln, with duffle bags and came into the house. They proceed to the kitchen to unpack and they unload 3 freekin' blow torches!!

As an Ortho Jew and pregnant with a tendency to dehydrate even on non fast days, I was given a "heter", permission by a rabbi who is knowledgeable in the laws of fasting while "sick", to do what is called shiurim. Basically, every 9 minutes, I was allowed to drink 1.5 oz of something. It is a huge headache, and in a way, fasting is much easier than doing shiurim.

Basically, having more than "a shiur" breaks the biblical commandment of fasting, but having less just breaks a rabbinic prohibition, which is why if you're sick, etc... your first step is doing shiurim, but if you're still dizzy, etc... while doing shiurim, then you can break the fast fully.

I've been married 5 years and have been nursing non stop or pregnant for the past 5 yom kippurs, and have done shiurim for all of them. For tisha b'av, my rabbi says just to not fast, because its a rabbinic fast, even if a serious one, so there's no reason to do shiurim which is a way to make a biblical prohibition less serious...

For all other fasts, I do nothing.

Most pregnant or nursing women do fast yom kippur; its just because I dehydrate easily and want to prevent premature labor in the beginning of my third trimester...

As an Ortho Jew and pregnant with a tendency to dehydrate even on non fast days, I was given a "heter", permission by a rabbi who is knowledgeable in the laws of fasting while "sick", to do what is called shiurim. Basically, every 9 minutes, I was allowed to drink 1.5 oz of something. It is a huge headache, and in a way, fasting is much easier than doing shiurim.

Basically, having more than "a shiur" breaks the biblical commandment of fasting, but having less just breaks a rabbinic prohibition, which is why if you're sick, etc... your first step is doing shiurim, but if you're still dizzy, etc... while doing shiurim, then you can break the fast fully.

I've been married 5 years and have been nursing non stop or pregnant for the past 5 yom kippurs, and have done shiurim for all of them. For tisha b'av, my rabbi says just to not fast, because its a rabbinic fast, even if a serious one, so there's no reason to do shiurim which is a way to make a biblical prohibition less serious...

For all other fasts, I do nothing.

Most pregnant or nursing women do fast yom kippur; its just because I dehydrate easily and want to prevent premature labor in the beginning of my third trimester...

Very interesting, thank you for posting that! I went to a conservadox shul in Los Angeles and that was my first pregnant-yom kippur. The rabbi there just told me to do whatever I was comfortable with and didn't go into any of this. Nowadays we go to a reform synagogue (because our choices are basically that or chabad) so I just did what I did before (this was last year - this year I am not pregnant - hurrah!).

Btw, totally possible that Lina and TT went to a kosher restaurant not owned by jews, like a vegan indian restaurant, or vegan budhist restaurant. Which with largely non Jewish clientelle, still might make them look different in their white garb. And could explain why it was open post yom kippur.

Who are the friends with Lina and TT? Are they actual Jewish people who are humoring them or other wanna-be more Jewish than thou Christians?

Who are the friends with Lina and TT? Are they actual Jewish people who are humoring them or other wanna-be more Jewish than thou Christians?

As far as I can tell, they attend a FauxJew congregation somewhere

Guest Anonymous

Actually I've just gotten the approval to enter a closed messianic womens site that Lina belongs to. They are pro Pearl and Ezzo :angry-screaming:

I will report back once I have some info.

Actually I've just gotten the approval to enter a closed messianic womens site that Lina belongs to. They are pro Pearl and Ezzo :angry-screaming:

I will report back once I have some info.

Guest Anonymous

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

What she does with her own damn self is up to her, but I want Talibaby to be safe & unhurt! This is BAD!

This forum is on the foreskin of the messianic movement. But the site is all bunked up and for shit to navigate. So far I can find LD is a member but I cannot search for posts directly. They do link her blog and feature photos she has on her blog.

Ya know I feel like I'm gonna need a mikvah before I'm done with this, can someone help me inflate the kiddie pool?

This forum is on the foreskin of the messianic movement.

Holy crap, glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.

Archived