IGNORED

Lina on Yom Kippur

longskirts

Her latest post describes her experience. Yeshua makes an appearance.

I think it's clear from this that they are involved with a Messianic congregation and are not going to an Orthodox Jewish one.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to think she put this in as a joke for us:

"We took a break around 2 p.m. for Talmud study. However, being of such a delicate constitution, I decided to lie down and rest instead (the fast was taking its toll on me)."

"We took a break around 2 p.m. for Talmud study. However, being of such a delicate constitution, I decided to lie down and rest instead (the fast was taking its toll on me)."

Feh. I had a 101.5 fever and spent the entire day at services. But then again, I'm a RealJew instead of a FauxJew.

I gotta stop reading her. Her stuff REALLY upsets me to the point where its not good for my blood pressure.

Her latest post describes her experience. Yeshua makes an appearance.

I think it's clear from this that they are involved with a Messianic congregation and are not going to an Orthodox Jewish one.

Rebbe Yeshua?

Lina, you motherfucking moron. Stop using words you don't understand.

Rebbe is not some snazzy Jewish way of saying Rabbi. It is a term almost exclusively reserved for the leaders of Hasidic dynasties. A Hasidic Rebbe is a spiritual, kabbalistic leader that ordinary Hasids can have devekut with (or, in English, cleave to). Considering that Hasidism didn't exists until, oh, I don't know the 18th century more than 1,700 years after Jesus died, Jesus is not, by any means, a rebbe.

The rest of her post I am going to leave alone, because it makes me nauseous to read.

I should not be taking a Jewish history class the same semester that Lina is revealing all of her cray-zee. It just makes me angrier at her context-less adherence to pseudo-Judaism.

Or she's pregnant....

Yom Kippur was a little bit different this year in that it fell on Shabbat, so we observed both the laws pertaining to Shabbat as well as those pertaining to the holiday (no leather is to be worn, cohabitation is prohibited, no food or water allowed).

I don't think "cohabitation" is the word she wants here. Sex is prohibited on Yom Kippur.

Everybody wearing white definitely sounds like a Messianic congregation. While some Jews like to wear all white to symbolize being cleansed of sins, most mainstream synagogues have people dressed in their nice clothes of any color, with a smattering of people wearing all white. Also, she said that they did the Havdalah ceremony to mark the end of Shabbat. While it's true that Yom Kippur fell on Shabbat this year, Havdalah is done at the end of every Yom Kippur as well (minus the spices that are used when ending Shabbat.)

Or she's pregnant....

I don't think she's pregnant. However, I think that with her mentality she probably believes that because they've done it she very well could be, or her period is a day late and she's convinced she's a Mommy and TT a Daddy, much like some of the other wet-stick-pregnancy-declarers we've discussed here recently. I think Lina bothers me so much because she comes across as so condescending. I could move to France, learn some poorly pronounced French and I wouldn't DARE tell the French people about their culture and history. Lina, on the other hand is a know-it-all. I bet fives years ago the most Jewish thing she'd ever done was maybe watch "Fiddler on the Roof" on DVD.

Is that why they spent the night at their friend's house- so they wouldn't have sex? They couldn't trust themselves to be alone or they didn't want to give the wrong appearance of the having of the sex on Yom Kippur?

She said she was sure the people in the restaurant thought they were strange for wearing all white. You know she was eating up all the attention.

I love the way she mentioned Birkat Hamazon (grace after meals) when talking about the pre-Kol Nidre dinner and added, "Some of us chose to have bread with our stew." Oh, WTF ever, Lina. We know you're just a walking encyclopedia of halacha. You don't need to keep trying to prove it to everyone.

Also, this struck me as interesting:

At this point, I began to experience a very painful headache on the right side of my head. It was getting to the point where I couldn’t concentrate on the prayers anymore, so I silently asked Hashem to please take my headache away. In a matter of minutes, it left my body. I was so happy and amazed, that I remember whispering to my husband what had just occurred.

Ignoring the whole headache thing, I thought Lina and hubby were making a big production of being all Orthodox? If so, how did she whisper anything to her husband at all? Every Orthodox shul I've ever been to has gender-segregated prayer- TT should've been over on the other side of a mechitza. Now, personally, I don't love being behind a mechitza, so I'm not saying there's anything wrong at all with egalitarian prayer, but again, for someone claiming to be Orthodox and making a big deal of talking about how they said Birkat after dinner because someone ate bread, it seems like kind of a major thing to me to be davening in a gender-integrated environment. Of course, Lina doesn't daven every day, anyway, so I don't know why I'm so surprised. As usual, she seems to be missing the forest for the trees.

The Rebbe stuff is just silly. Also, the fast is 25 hours, not 24. And this?

We ended the night by gathering for dinner at one of the few kosher restaurants in town. I think we must have looked quite a sight with our completely white attire and head coverings ;)

Yeah, Lina, I'm sure the other Jews at a kosher restaurant who just got done observing Yom Kippur themselves were totally freaked out/impressed by your white clothes and kippot. No doubt they had no idea of why you guys might be wearing white on a day so significant in the Jewish calendar that a lot of the most secular Jews I know take the day off to fast and go to synagogue. It's a good thing you guys graced them with your presence, so they knew what a holy day it was!

:angry-banghead:

Nice to see that TT's condescending douchebaggery is rubbing off on her so quickly.

She's a SPESHUL SNOWFLAKE, let's not forget. More Jewish than the Jews, more Christian than the Christians, she is doing it RIGHT and don't you forget it! Those Jews in the Kosher restaurant couldn't possibly have known why she was wearing white, and a headcovering, because they're not as Jewish as she and TT are!

I seriously can't wait for the comments on her blog - is she going to let them through, do you think? The guy going by "denver yid" seems willing to play nice, but he's not mincing words. He thinks Lina and TT are playacting at something that a whole lot of people have lived and died for, and he finds it offensive and says so.

The Lina soap opera continues....

She's going really crazy on us. When they start to get like this I always feel like we're living on borrowed time. Just a matter of time until she shuts down the blog. Again.

And why is Anthony calling himself Azariah now?

I love the way she mentioned Birkat Hamazon (grace after meals) when talking about the pre-Kol Nidre dinner and added, "Some of us chose to have bread with our stew." Oh, WTF ever, Lina. We know you're just a walking encyclopedia of halacha. You don't need to keep trying to prove it to everyone.

I'm curious FaustianSlip, why do they have to say a prayer if someone had bread? I agree Lina seems to be adopting TT's attitude, or at least she seems to have the cojones now to say more knowing TT will come in to defend his sweetheart.

I like the blogger Denver Yid, who commented to Lina's calming bookstore trip:

Here's another example. Lina discusses niddah and mikveh immersion. Besides that being something not typically discussed so openly, the commandments of taharas-hamishpacha are limited entirely to Jews! Which, again, you are not, by your own admission. The spiritual reality and impurity of niddah simply does not exist within a non-Jewish woman. It makes for yet another strange and misleading item.

I like that someone else notices the strangeness of her baring all on her blog. I'm curious, are Orthodox Jewish women generally more modest in terms of discussing the things Lina puts out on her blog for all the world to see? I'm referring to menstrual cycle comments and anything related to the bedroom.

I'm curious FaustianSlip, why do they have to say a prayer if someone had bread? I agree Lina seems to be adopting TT's attitude, or at least she seems to have the cojones now to say more knowing TT will come in to defend his sweetheart.

I like that someone else notices the strangeness of her baring all on her blog. I'm curious, are Orthodox Jewish women generally more modest in terms of discussing the things Lina puts out on her blog for all the world to see? I'm referring to menstrual cycle comments and anything related to the bedroom.

If you have bread then its officially a meal. Without bread, its not officially a meal and you don't have to "say grace" essentially. :) However, I THINK you'd say the blessings for the individual items. (I'm not Orthodox but one of my dear friends is)

I only read up until the point where she prayed about her headache and within minutes it resolved itself.

They probably spent the night at the friend's house ("friend's" house) because it was otherwise too far to walk. Maybe that's not what her husband told her, so therefore she doesn't understand or won't state that as the reason. Or it seems more observant to her to say it that way.

I dunno, reading her account made me ill. It reminded me of being forced to write letters home at camp. I never bothered to report we were saying the Birkat Hamazon. Why? Because no one gives a crap!

Yesterday I went to a football game, because that's how I worship. And yet, I get to be Jew because my mother is Jewish and her mother was Jewish and her mother was Jewish... Yea, I bet that burns.

If you have bread then its officially a meal. Without bread, its not officially a meal and you don't have to "say grace" essentially. :) However, I THINK you'd say the blessings for the individual items. (I'm not Orthodox but one of my dear friends is)

Ah, thanks! I didn't even think of that. When I was at the heyday of my Born-Again stage, my boyfriend and I would say a blessing over our pops from Sonic. Hehe. ;)

I think if you have a meal without bread, you would say a truncated version of Birkat, intended for snacks. And you'd still make brachot over the individual items before eating. My bencher definitely lists a "grace after snacks" thing.

Not in any conversation presumed to be in mixed company. That's why Imamother is so hard core about registration.

I may be way off but aren't you not supposed to fast pregnant? I've been pregnant for two yom kippurs and just ate lightly.

I think in the past women used to fast while pregnant, but now you don't have to fast if you are pregnant or sick. You might not have to fast if you are nursing either. So the three possibilities are that Lina is not pregnant, that she is pregnant but doesn't know it yet, or that she is pregnant but is fasting anyway.

Orthodox women fast on Yom Kippur even when pregnant or nursing. They don't fast on the minor fasts if they're pregnant or nursing, though.

I thought the "delicate constitution" thing was just a flowery way of saying she easily gets headaches from fasting.

I wonder what she meant by "even more so" about "Rebbe Yeshua". It would be understandable if she believes Jesus died for her sins. But she says she just thinks he's the Messiah, not divine... so why would that be a reason to celebrate on Yom Kippur?

My rabbi said pretty much verbatim that if there is even a small chance of me getting dehydrated, to drink and eat something small. I'm still nursing my kid and I was running a fever so I drank and had a few crackers every time I took some ibuprofin for the fever. I ate all of 6 ritz crackers so I still count it as fasting. I didn't have to lie down. :p

When I was pregnant, I was told not to fast by my fertility dr and midwife, who made SURE as they are members of my shul. Even if I was Orthodox I would not have fasted as when I'm pregnant I black out and faint without food.

I'm really surprised that Orthodox women fast while pregnant. I would have been barfing my brains out had I attempted that.

Another reason I'm glad I'm not orthodox.

Archived