laPapessaGiovanna

The EU elections are nearing and the right wing extremists (in Italy they are called sovranisti, a synonym of fascisti, but without the associated baggage, cos if you change the label it's different /sarcasm) are coming to the light. 

I am scared shitless of them taking a meaningful number of seats in the EU parliament.

Meanwhile here it is how it looks like when right wing nuts are in charge. A woman in Poland has been arrested because she dared drawing a rainbow halo around the Czestochowa Virgin Mary (not the original Byzantine icon, just posters found in her home). And now she risks a 2 years sentence for profanation. Because of course we need religious freedom but only if it's the right religion practiced in the approved ways.

The rise of the right in the world, fanned by Russian social media bots, is a scary phenomenon. At the elections for our First Chamber earlier this year, a rightwing nutcase party won many seats. A lot of people were (unpleasantly) surprised that that they did, because the majority of people actually do not agree with them at all. But, stupidly, not many people voted in those elections either. And so rightwing parties get a hold in politics, even though they are a minority. It seems that the lesson from the American example hasn't really been learnt yet. 

The only way you can stop the rightwingers from taking control, is by voting. It really counts if you vote. Don't stay at home, thinking that your tiny little vote won't matter, because it does. Every vote is important. 

Speaking of voting, I just did a couple of online tests to see which party my political beliefs fit most with. To my amazement it turns out that I fit best with a party I had never heard of before. Apparently they are the first pan-European party: VOLT. 

As I said, I never heard of them before, but if, like me, you are for a strong, united, democratic people-oriented Europe with grassroots politics, then maybe you should check them out: https://www.volteuropa.org/ 

Note that I'm not trying to push my beliefs onto anyone! I was just surprised that there is a pan-European party, based in most European member-states, and wanted to share that information.

The only thing I would like anyone to do, is to get out and vote for what they believe in. 

Archived