IGNORED

Kendra & Joe Part 12: Another day, Another Duggar on the Way

Georgiana

3 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

That makes me think of the Cambridge babies.

Kate and William named their first boy George Alexander Louis, and their second boy Louis Arthur Charles. I suspect they really would have liked to use the name Louis for their first boy, but had to switch to George as a respectable name for a British monarch. King Louis of England - would sound as if the French had taken over :my_tongue:

I remember being a bit surprised that get opted to use Louis again, but I think you’re right that they switched George’s name around to sound more like a British monarch. Their daughter, Princess Charlotte, has the feminine version of Charles as her first name too. It’s not as obvious a connection between Charlotte and Louis, but I think it’s kind of cute that Louis’ full name has that connection with both his older siblings. All the full names sound pretty nice when you say them out loud as well, so I think they did a relatively good job all things considered. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

I wish the Cambridges had used Andrew as one of the names for a boy, as they met at St Andrews University, and I thought that would have been sweet if Andrew was somewhere in the name. 

• Upvote 8

I have talked about this before that my sister & I have 4 names. Our mother was an only child and she wanted her last name to continue so both of our second middle names is our mother’s madien name. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

I wish the Cambridges had used Andrew as one of the names for a boy, as they met at St Andrews University, and I thought that would have been sweet if Andrew was somewhere in the name. 

Maybe they didn't want to since William's uncle is called Andrew. They only living person they've honoured in the kids' names (AFAIK) is the Queen (Charlotte Elizabeth Diana). Diana (and Louis Mountbatten) are no longer living.

No, wait, I correct myself - Charles is obviously in there too. Never mind.

Edited by seraaa
  • Upvote 7

On 5/2/2019 at 10:47 AM, viii said:

Nicknames are definitely tough. Since I was 12 years old, I have wanted to name my daughter Elizabeth. I don't want Liz, Lizzie, Beth, Eliza, Elsie, etc. I want Elizabeth. However, now that I'm an adult, I know that when you use longer names, nicknames are out of your control, and there's not much you can do to change that. I think if I ever were to have a child and had a girl, I'd still use Elizabeth, but resign myself to the fact that she might want a nickname when she's able to choose. 

I love Elizabeth and all the possible nicknames! Libby, Bess, the list goes on and on! I was telling the ultrasound tech all about my plans to name the baby Elizabeth when I looked over at the screen and noticed my second boy was a boy...so no Elizabeth yet, will have to wait for a granddaughter and see if I can twist some arms!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I remember being a bit surprised that get opted to use Louis again, but I think you’re right that they switched George’s name around to sound more like a British monarch. Their daughter, Princess Charlotte, has the feminine version of Charles as her first name too. It’s not as obvious a connection between Charlotte and Louis, but I think it’s kind of cute that Louis’ full name has that connection with both his older siblings. All the full names sound pretty nice when you say them out loud as well, so I think they did a relatively good job all things considered. 

I never thought of that when they announced the name Charlotte. My first thought was Queen Victoria's cousin Princess Charlotte who have been Queen instead if she hadn't died in childbirth. But it could have been Charles. Or for Queen Charlotte. Or maybe the one they liked best out of their short list. I do think its weird they used Louis as first name after making it one of George's names. I knows really common in their family, but its still weird to me.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I never thought of that when they announced the name Charlotte. My first thought was Queen Victoria's cousin Princess Charlotte who have been Queen instead if she hadn't died in childbirth. But it could have been Charles. Or for Queen Charlotte. Or maybe the one they liked best out of their short list. I do think its weird they used Louis as first name after making it one of George's names. I knows really common in their family, but its still weird to me.

if you look at the aunts and uncles  and grandpa Charles has the name George  and Arthur in his name and Andrew has the name Edward which is also the name of the youngest son of the Queen. Prince Edward also has the middle name Louis.

Louis is also part of William's name well Harry also has the middle name Charles 

Albert is also commonly used. 

I think if Harry has a boy it will be something like Phillip James Edward 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I think it would be easy to name multiples but then I've had six girl names and six boy names all picked out for my kids for years and easily could come up with more. The first names are my favorite six boy and girl names and the middle names are family members names on both sides of my family. Having two or four at once would make it easy to cross those off. 

I think i could easily name a Duggar-sized family, including multiples, if only I didn’t have to get my husband on board. He vetoed so many of my favourites - Adelaide, Ezra, Lydia (which he also RUINED for me by saying it makes him think of Chlamydia) Dominic... when I was pregnant with #2 I gave him a list of 50 boys names I thought I could use and told him he could start crossing them off but there had to be at least 10 left for a shortlist. He really struggled to accept even 1/5 of them. Then we had a girl haha.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

if you look at the aunts and uncles  and grandpa Charles has the name George  and Arthur in his name and Andrew has the name Edward which is also the name of the youngest son of the Queen. Prince Edward also has the middle name Louis.

Louis is also part of William's name well Harry also has the middle name Charles 

Albert is also commonly used. 

I think if Harry has a boy it will be something like Phillip James Edward 

Yeah, they do that all the time. I know their working with a short list but its just still weird to me. I always wondered what the Queen would have picked if she had another daughter. Anne was actually the name her parents wanted to name Margaret but Bertie's father George who was king at the time vetoed it. Its nice that she ended up using it for her own daughter. But if she had a second? I assume Phillip would have hoped for Alice after his mother. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Smee said:

I think i could easily name a Duggar-sized family, including multiples, if only I didn’t have to get my husband on board. He vetoed so many of my favourites - Adelaide, Ezra, Lydia (which he also RUINED for me by saying it makes him think of Chlamydia) Dominic... when I was pregnant with #2 I gave him a list of 50 boys names I thought I could use and told him he could start crossing them off but there had to be at least 10 left for a shortlist. He really struggled to accept even 1/5 of them. Then we had a girl haha.

Same here. Its just so easy for me to pick out names. There's so many that I love. Nineteen kids I could use my top nineteen names with my top nineteen family names for middle names! 

I'm sorry your husband ruined Lydia for you. That's terrible. I hate when people do that. Its really hard when people veto your favorite names. My family hates my top choices for a boy and girl. Even though they've been my favorite since I was a teen. Anastasia and Sebastian. I just love them so much. Those are great names. I love Adelaide, Ezra, Lydia and Dominic. 

My brother and sister-in-law surprisingly battled it out over the girl name when they were expecting. They both had their favorite and neither would back down. My brother wanted Abigail, Abby, and my sister-in-law wanted Anna after her grandmother (while I liked Abby a little better I would have been happy either way since I used to read Babysitters Club so I was totally cool with a little Abby or Anna. Plus Anna was the name of our great-grandma). None of us expected my brother to care so much he always seemed to just go with whatever but nope.  It ended up being the reason they decided to find out what the baby was. It was a boy. My family and I braced ourselves for them to battle it out over a boy name but they never did. With in a few days they picked out one they both loved. 

• Upvote 4

I hoped and still hope W&K would use Phillipa for a daughter. An elegant name that honors a beloved sister and granddad  and remembers both family and a Queens name to boot. Seems perfect at least  to me. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, tabitha2 said:

I hoped and still hope W&K would use Phillipa for a daughter. An elegant name that honors a beloved sister and granddad  and remembers both family and a Queens name to boot. Seems perfect at least  to me. 

That's a great name. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rio said:

will have to wait for a granddaughter and see if I can twist some arms!

I know you’re joking, but this reminded me of my late FIL when I was pregnant 23 years ago.  He kept insisting we had to tell him our chosen names before the birth so that he could vet them.  And that if it was a boy it had to be George to follow a family tradition which mr k had never mentioned but which he then jumped on board.  It did not go down well with me - this nagging went on for weeks - and was added to the list of reasons I didn’t particularly like him.  He kept on about it until I stated that he’d be presented with a grandchild with a name and that he’d had his choice with his three kids.

The George thing really upset me as mr k kept on about it after that.  In the end I agreed to it being a middle name, but I was glad baby was a girl.  She has MIL and my mum’s middle names and I didn’t mention George when pregnant with my son.  Mr k must have forgotten so he has a random middle name.

TLDR; in laws take care when DILs are picking names!

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

My grandpa was quite put out with me when we introduced him to our newborn son, and boy did he let me know about it in no uncertain terms.  He did not like our choice, which is a common, easy to spell and easy to pronounce name (we have a difficult last name, so went for ease with the MiniShadowTribe’s first names). He had heard a name on a soap opera that he really liked and insisted that we change our son’s name to that. It would have ended up being the equivalent of something like Steven Stevens or John Johnson. Grandpa. NO. Since when does the grandpa get baby naming rights anyway? Just NO. 

• Upvote 16

7 minutes ago, OutoftheShadows said:

My grandpa was quite put out with me when we introduced him to our newborn son, and boy did he let me know about it in no uncertain terms.  He did not like our choice, which is a common, easy to spell and easy to pronounce name (we have a difficult last name, so went for ease with the MiniShadowTribe’s first names). 

I have a friend who has a very hard last name (starts with a “Q” & ends with an “O”) she & her 2 siblings have very easy first names. 

• Upvote 4

I've been Carm for a very long time, but I respond to my full name. Most people around me call me Carm and it's always been much easier! That being said, I won't be offended if you want to call me by my full name. I'm not offended either way. I have obtained a lot of nicknames in my time, and some have stuck and some have not. Whatever works! :) 

• Upvote 5

I think you need to be really careful with name suggestions for other people's babies. My MIL is big into naming after family members. She also mentioned as soon as we told them I was pregnant that all the girls in the family have some form of her name as their middle name like of course we would be doing that too. 

That presumption pretty much assured that we would not be doing that. I don't really want to name my kids after anyone but especially not my MIL. With our son, my husband only told them the name after we had filled out the paperwork. We will do the same when our daughter is born. 

• Upvote 12

2 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Charlotte is also Pippa Middleton’s middle name. Her full name prior to marriage was Philippa Charlotte Middleton. So I’d guess the choice was likely a nice little nod towards both Pippa and Charles.

1 minute ago, Baxter said:

I think you need to be really careful with name suggestions for other people's babies. My MIL is big into naming after family members. She also mentioned as soon as we told them I was pregnant that all the girls in the family have some form of her name as their middle name like of course we would be doing that too. 

That presumption pretty much assured that we would not be doing that. I don't really want to name my kids after anyone but especially not my MIL. With our son, my husband only told them the name after we had filled out the paperwork. We will do the same when our daughter is born. 

We’re lucky to have extremely supportive families who are careful not to offer suggestions on stuff like this, but we still choose to keep our daughter’s name a secret until she was born. Part of that was just wanting to have something special to surprise them with when she was born and part of it was just on the off chance someone would accidentally say something that would make us change our minds. We’re planning to keep the name secret this time as well. It’s kind of fun having a secret just between the two of us right now.

• Upvote 5

With both our son and the upcoming baby, we have shared names with other people including my family. The difference is that no one in my family would expect that we would follow their advice or be resentful if we didn't. My mom didn't particularly love my son's name before he was born. My husband and I looked at names again after she told me this. We decided that his name was the one we wanted and it just felt right to us. 

My mom raised me and my sisters to make our own decisions. But I do ask for my mom's opinion on things. My mom later told me that she was wrong about my son's name and that it really was the perfect one for him. 

The problem with my in laws is that they just expect everyone to fall in line and do what they want. 

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, Karma said:

I know you’re joking, but this reminded me of my late FIL when I was pregnant 23 years ago.  He kept insisting we had to tell him our chosen names before the birth so that he could vet them.  And that if it was a boy it had to be George to follow a family tradition which mr k had never mentioned but which he then jumped on board.  It did not go down well with me - this nagging went on for weeks - and was added to the list of reasons I didn’t particularly like him.  He kept on about it until I stated that he’d be presented with a grandchild with a name and that he’d had his choice with his three kids.

The George thing really upset me as mr k kept on about it after that.  In the end I agreed to it being a middle name, but I was glad baby was a girl.  She has MIL and my mum’s middle names and I didn’t mention George when pregnant with my son.  Mr k must have forgotten so he has a random middle name.

TLDR; in laws take care when DILs are picking names!

My dad came from a long line of John's but his parents and everyone else called him Ian. Him and my mum chose to break that tradition, my brother was born on my great grandfather's birthday so people definitely assumed that he would be names John. They chose a name they liked and it happened to be the name of my dad's other grand dad that had died not long before my brother was born and no one in the family said anything, even my great grand dad who spoke his mind a lot approved as he liked my other great grand dad. 

I personally think family names are better as middle names.

• Upvote 9

I too could name a pretty large sized brood with my current name list. In addition to the two we've already named, I've got full names ready for seven more. Not saying I'll have seven more, but husband and I got on a name roll one night and set up a bunch of potentials. If we ever have a daughter, and I really hope we do, I've had her named since middle school. That was a non-negotiable and my husband thankfully agreed. 

• Upvote 5

My MIL kept asking what we were going to name our son when I was pregnant and we refused to say. At some point she said “just promise me it won’t be something boring like Michael or John or worst of all DAVID”. So when he was born, my husband called her and said “it’s a boy!! His name is David” and she screeched back “no it’s not! What did you name him?” She loves his name, but we really could not have cared less if she didn’t. Baby #2 was called “Baby Dave” my entire pregnancy, to the point where many of my friends and acquaintances assumed we had found out we were having a boy and were shocked when she came out a girl.

6 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I'm sorry your husband ruined Lydia for you. That's terrible. I hate when people do that. Its really hard when people veto your favorite names. My family hates my top choices for a boy and girl. Even though they've been my favorite since I was a teen. Anastasia and Sebastian. I just love them so much. Those are great names. I love Adelaide, Ezra, Lydia and Dominic. 

Anastasia and Sebastian are lovely ? I think Sebastian was on the list of 50 that my husband crossed off *sigh* Our elder daughter has an An- name so Anastasia was too close to ever really be considered 

• Upvote 3

I love names and could easily name a Duggar-sized quiver. That's just not a problem. My family hates the name we have picked out for a girl. Cosima. They say it sounds like a disease, which was kinda hurtful. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, SorenaJ said:

I love names and could easily name a Duggar-sized quiver. That's just not a problem. My family hates the name we have picked out for a girl. Cosima. They say it sounds like a disease, which was kinda hurtful. 

Oh I love Cosima! I never heard it before Orphan Black and she's badass in it. 

• Upvote 3

I love names too and could name many, many more girls with my husband if we wanted to continue having babies. (We do not.) I would only be able to name boys withOUT his help, though. It was interesting while pregnant both times how our girl names choices are all very similar and of the same style. We only agreed on one boy name EVER, though, and it wouldn't have worked anyway with the first and middle (family) name we would have used. I wouldn't have done that to a child. Thankfully, we won't have to worry about naming a son. ?

(Not that I wouldn't want a son... but we've got two daughters, and our family is complete!)

• Upvote 5

• Georgiana locked this topic