IGNORED

Kendra & Joe Part 12: Another day, Another Duggar on the Way

Georgiana

13 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

I hoped and still hope W&K would use Phillipa for a daughter. An elegant name that honors a beloved sister and granddad  and remembers both family and a Queens name to boot. Seems perfect at least  to me. 

I thought that might have been the reasoning behind using Pippa’s middle name - so it honours both sides of the family and keeps everyone happy. Plus it’s a lovely name as well.

• Upvote 4

I'm friends on FB with a former co worker.She had triplets in December.She already had a girl...Joei,her triplet,boys are:King,something unpronouncable....Sakai or something,and Sheldon,Jr.

She posts pictures a lot and all four of her children are cute as can be.

• Upvote 3

My mother would have strangled anyone who shortened my name.  Oddly  she, my father and brother all went by the shortened version of their names.

I named my son a perfectly reasonable name.  I always called him it out full.  It was only when he got a cell phone at 15 and I got his voice mail that I realized he had a whole existance as "Nick".   

When he got home I said to him..ummm  do you want me to call you Nick?   Nope  he wants me to call him Nicholas.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 8
  • Love 2

23 minutes ago, Greendoor said:

My mother would have strangled anyone who shortened my name.  Oddly  she, my father and brother all went by the shortened version of their names.

I named my son a perfectly reasonable name.  I always called him it out full.  It was only when he got a cell phone at 15 and I got his voice mail that I realized he had a whole existance as "Nick".   

When he got home I said to him..ummm  do you want me to call you Nick?   Nope  he wants me to call him Nicholas.

I had an aunt like your mom. she insisted we call my cousin by her full name no nicknames and she'd get so pissed if we used a nickname. now that cousin is mostly known by a nickname. that's why when i Have kids I won't pick any name that I hate a nickname for so Victoria for me because the name Vicky just makes my skin crawl. 

• Upvote 3

My husband and I both really liked Victoria but our surname starts with a B and in Australia VB is a well-known and cheap beer.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 14

On 4/12/2019 at 2:53 PM, Meggo said:

Uh - was Kendra's mom really born in 1980? 

I thought she and I were maybe the same age - but uh - nope. I was born in 74. 
I could - I suppose be a grandma by now. I mean - my son is 6 so that would be a stretch. But we've been married for 17 years. And were together for 4 before that... 

And my husband does regularly get Grandpa references from people he doesn't know. (He was at the bakery on the island we have a cottage - and the island knows Mr.Meggo - he was a deputy mayor - they KNOW him - and the new bakery lady said our son would have to ask Grandpa if it was okay if he had a cookie. My poor kid was like "Bampa's here? WHERE???") 

Ditto. I looked it up and I’m older than several of the in law parents. I was shocked because I just barely had a baby.

• Upvote 5

On my mom's side of the family we all knew being called by our middle names meant we were in trouble. 

• Upvote 7

Naming your kid is hard. There are always people that judge the name or say it is a terrible choice.  I LOVE the name Henry and wanted to name DS that DH was cool with it but when we told people the name they would grumble or look at me weird. My bitch of a mother said "that is a horrible name for a child and if you name him that I will call him something else"  It was so bad that we changed his name, there were still a couple grumblings but everyone seemed more ok with Elijah over Henry.  I had no idea a name would make people so crazy.  When I got pregnant the 2nd time after we found out it was a girl I didn't tell anyone her name until it was on the birth certificate. I said if you don't like her name, that is YOUR problem, we like it, it is her name now shut up and call her that. 

11 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

On my mom's side of the family we all knew being called by our middle names meant we were in trouble. 

Oh yeah, when you get middle named you know you are in trouble.  I go by a diminutive of my name so when my full name comes out with the middle name, yep I knew I was in deep shit.

Edited by allthegoodnamesrgone
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

That was the case in my family too. When you heard the middle name you knew it was bad.

• Upvote 4

51 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

That was the case in my family too. When you heard the middle name you knew it was bad.

My middle name is my maternal grandmother’s name. Mum never used it and I don’t actually know whether dad can even pronounce it ? 

• Haha 7

Even our dog knows if her middle name is called she is in trouble. It is pretty much reserved for when she gets into the trash. 

• Haha 13
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I had an aunt like your mom. she insisted we call my cousin by her full name no nicknames and she'd get so pissed if we used a nickname. now that cousin is mostly known by a nickname. that's why when i Have kids I won't pick any name that I hate a nickname for so Victoria for me because the name Vicky just makes my skin crawl. 

Our dog is Victoria. We call her Tori. Not a fan of Vicky either.

8 hours ago, SHERA said:

Ditto. I looked it up and I’m older than several of the in law parents. I was shocked because I just barely had a baby.

It just occurred to me. Of course they are young parents. There is nothing else for them to do in a cult that denies education and where seemingly few actually work. And this is why I love that Jana appears to be bucking the trend. If she has watched her parents’ BS and decided, ah hell, no, good for her. She’s already raised a gaggle, and knows the drill. Perhaps that is not what she wants. Could anyone really blame her?

6 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

Even our dog knows if her middle name is called she is in trouble. It is pretty much reserved for when she gets into the trash. 

I just realized this weekend - our dog doesn't HAVE a middle name. I had nothing to call her when she tried to steal food off the kitchen table!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 15

On 5/4/2019 at 9:59 AM, twoandthrough said:

Neither of our daughters have a family first name, but they both have family middle names. I love that! Not as much pressure, haha. First daughter has the same middle name as me and my mom, and that name just happens to be my husband's mom's first name (spelled differently) too. Second daughter has the feminine version of my dad's first name for her middle name (he passed away when I was 18). I love calling her by her full name because it always reminds me of him! :)

This is our kid's situation too, name we liked for the first and family middle names that are represented on both sides.

my daughter has my mom's middle (and her mom's as well) and a great aunt on my husband's side for her middle

had we had a second daughter, she would have had DH's mom's middle (which is also my middle!)

but we had a boy, and he has my husband's name as his middle but that also happens to be my great grandfather's first name and my grandfathers middle.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

On 5/4/2019 at 6:15 PM, Smee said:

I think i could easily name a Duggar-sized family, including multiples, if only I didn’t have to get my husband on board. He vetoed so many of my favourites - Adelaide, Ezra, Lydia (which he also RUINED for me by saying it makes him think of Chlamydia) Dominic... when I was pregnant with #2 I gave him a list of 50 boys names I thought I could use and told him he could start crossing them off but there had to be at least 10 left for a shortlist. He really struggled to accept even 1/5 of them. Then we had a girl haha.

Adelaide and Dominic were two of our favorites. If we had two daughter or two sons. We had one of each so we never got to use Adelaide or Dominic but I still am holding on to them if we have that surprise third baby (doubtful that will ever happen).

On 5/5/2019 at 1:25 AM, Smee said:

My MIL kept asking what we were going to name our son when I was pregnant and we refused to say. At some point she said “just promise me it won’t be something boring like Michael or John or worst of all DAVID”. So when he was born, my husband called her and said “it’s a boy!! His name is David” and she screeched back “no it’s not! What did you name him?” She loves his name, but we really could not have cared less if she didn’t. Baby #2 was called “Baby Dave” my entire pregnancy, to the point where many of my friends and acquaintances assumed we had found out we were having a boy and were shocked when she came out a girl.

My grandmother was insistant that we name our son David. That was not happening seeing as how my father, father-in-law, brother and my husbands cousin (who is basically his brother) are all named David. It's confusing enough and my that's with my Dad going by his middle name. No more Davids are needed in this family. 

• Upvote 3

I could easily name a quiver but not with my husband. I'm lucky the two we have have names and are not just Kid 1 and Kid 2. He vetoed almost every name I gave but didn't have any options to replace them. Finally with our son we decided on a name but to be honest it is not my favorite. It fits our son but I really had a couple choices I liked much better. With our daughter we used the name we had picked for our first, had he been a girl, and that had been easier to chose. 

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Naming your kid is hard. There are always people that judge the name or say it is a terrible choice.  I LOVE the name Henry and wanted to name DS that DH was cool with it but when we told people the name they would grumble or look at me weird. My bitch of a mother said "that is a horrible name for a child and if you name him that I will call him something else"  It was so bad that we changed his name, there were still a couple grumblings but everyone seemed more ok with Elijah over Henry.  I had no idea a name would make people so crazy.  When I got pregnant the 2nd time after we found out it was a girl I didn't tell anyone her name until it was on the birth certificate. I said if you don't like her name, that is YOUR problem, we like it, it is her name now shut up and call her that. 

Oh yeah, when you get middle named you know you are in trouble.  I go by a diminutive of my name so when my full name comes out with the middle name, yep I knew I was in deep shit.

I'm sorry your mom was so horrible about the name Henry. If we have another son he will be named Henry after my husband's grandpa.  I think its one of those older names that have become cute again. We went with Gabriel for our first and thankfully no one said anything negative (besides FIL who made a stupid joke about calling him Gabriella which fell pretty flat). Its kind of surprising but our families have been pretty cool about not giving unsolicited opinions so far when it comes to raising our child. My dad mentioned giving cereal to my son as an infant at one point and I just said that's no longer recommended and left it at that. 

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, JesSky03 said:

I'm sorry your mom was so horrible about the name Henry. If we have another son he will be named Henry after my husband's grandpa.  I think its one of those older names that have become cute again. We went with Gabriel for our first and thankfully no one said anything negative (besides FIL who made a stupid joke about calling him Gabriella which fell pretty flat). Its kind of surprising but our families have been pretty cool about not giving unsolicited opinions so far when it comes to raising our child. My dad mentioned giving cereal to my son as an infant at one point and I just said that's no longer recommended and left it at that. 

My mother is pretty judgmental an not afraid to wield that nastiness like a badge of honor.  Now I don't mind it at all, and I'm glad we changed our minds weather by force or by choice, I don't know if the name Henry would have suited our son as well as Elijah does, I really do love his name so it wasn't the end of the world, I just wish my mother could be a normal person once and a while.   

• Upvote 4

On 5/3/2019 at 7:34 AM, Smee said:

My youngest daughter has a nickname that is used much much more often than her full name, but my mum hates it because the nickname is also a boys name in its own right and not the most intuitive nickname for her actual name (think Leo for Eleanor instead of Ellie). So mum tries to use a different nickname and my daughter doesn’t answer and I go “who’s Ellie?” ? she had her chance at naming kids 30 years ago, it’s my turn now.

Quoting myself because I went to a shop today and had the following exchange with the guy trying to sell me soccer boots:

him (to daughter): What’s your name?

Me (after she goes shy and doesn’t answer): Leo*

Him: Leo?

Me: Short for Eleonor*

Him: Eleonor, that’s an unusual name. She’ll get called Ellie*

Me: no, part of using Leo was to avoid Ellie, and she goes by Leo probably 90% of the time. My mum tried calling her Ellie but it didn’t stick. 

Him (over the next 20min helping me pick boots): Ellie, what do you think of mum’s boots? Ellie, which ones do you like better? Here, Ellie, do you want to be a big helper and carry this box?

Etc.

I’d always said I didn’t dislike the not-nickname, and if she chooses to go by it later in life that’s fine, but now I’m not so sure. It just sounded so WRONG on her and I was kind of offended that he completely ignored the part where I explicitly said that’s NOT what anyone calls her.

*not the actual names

• Upvote 9
  • Angry 2
  • WTF 5

On 5/4/2019 at 1:33 PM, TheMustardCardigan said:

My fiancé has two older brothers that are a year apart and then I think he was kind of an "oops" baby 7/8 years later. Middle brother's middle name is the same as my fiancé's first name. I think his mom really liked that name and when the unexpected opportunity arose to use it as a first name for a baby, she went for it. 

My sister did this with her youngest kid. They used two of their favourite names for their first kid and when the younges was born they couldn’t find another they liked as much. I think it’s sweet they share one name. 

I have friends that gave both of their two kids the same middle name as their father. Middle names are rearly used so I think you can do what you want with them. Miniway has two middle names, one from each side of the family. 

On 5/5/2019 at 2:42 AM, VelociRapture said:

Part of that was just wanting to have something special to surprise them with when she was born and part of it was just on the off chance someone would accidentally say something that would make us change our minds. We’re planning to keep the name secret this time as well. It’s kind of fun having a secret just between the two of us right now.

It seems people find it much easier to comment on a name before the baby is born. Once the baby is there and already named most people shut up about how much they hate a name. Not my mother though. She ”had to tell” us Miniway was not a good name for him. She says she’s ”used to it now”. And that’s the thing, once the kid becomes their name you forget that girl you hated in highschool that was named the same. 

1 hour ago, Smee said:

Quoting myself because I went to a shop today and had the following exchange with the guy trying to sell me soccer boots:

Me: no, part of using Leo was to avoid Ellie, and she goes by Leo probably 90% of the time. My mum tried calling her Ellie but it didn’t stick. 

Him (over the next 20min helping me pick boots): Ellie, what do you think of mum’s boots? Ellie, which ones do you like better? Here, Ellie, do you want to be a big helper and carry this box?

Etc.

I’d always said I didn’t dislike the not-nickname, and if she chooses to go by it later in life that’s fine, but now I’m not so sure. It just sounded so WRONG on her and I was kind of offended that he completely ignored the part where I explicitly said that’s NOT what anyone calls her.

*not the actual names

That is horribly rude. I would have told him off and gone to another shop. 

Edited by Iamtheway
  • Upvote 12

2 hours ago, Smee said:

Etc.

*not the actual names

I'm so sorry. That's crappy. If your told the name you use that name. That's it. You don't get to ignore that name or nickname and use a different name. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Smee said:

Etc.

*not the actual names

Next time just call him something ridiculous but non-offensive that is not his name, or teach Leo to do it. Like "thanks carrot peeler for wrapping up my boots", "lamp shade do you have these boots in my size?" 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1

Mostly I just rolled my eyes, like WTF dude, you know we’re going to walk out of the shop and never see you again, she’ll continue her life as “Leo”, and her 2yr old brain is not going to remember your random old white guy opinion and change her life accordingly.

• Upvote 1

My daughter has an uncommon name, and you can NEVER find it on a key chain or souvenir license plate, The closet we've come had her named spelled with a J, not a G like we spelled it, and even at 19 she is still bitter, and every time someone posts something with those cheap little trinkets she copies me and says "from the poor child who never got personalized ANYTHING". 

I told her I should have just named her Edwardo since you can ALWAYS find Edwardo on all that stuff. IKR Edwardo, odd, for a small childs thing. 

• Haha 11

34 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

My daughter has an uncommon name, and you can NEVER find it on a key chain or souvenir license plate, The closet we've come had her named spelled with a J, not a G like we spelled it, and even at 19 she is still bitter, and every time someone posts something with those cheap little trinkets she copies me and says "from the poor child who never got personalized ANYTHING". 

I told her I should have just named her Edwardo since you can ALWAYS find Edwardo on all that stuff. IKR Edwardo, odd, for a small childs thing. 

My cousin, Claudine, could never find anything with her name on it either! And you should see the names they write on her cups at Starbucks! One of the best ones was something like Quadzine..... Claudine is not that unusual of a name! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

• Georgiana locked this topic