IGNORED

Dillards 75: Keep the Food Out of the Bathroom

Coconut Flan

There's like a million pictures in that blog post, but the gist is: They bought the plot of land several months ago and were busy building their house and leaving obnoxious bible verses in English and Spanish on every surface since. Looks like it's pretty much ready now. Here are some pictures of the completed house:

grafik.thumb.png.d6c6e4bfb7346012f50e792c5c56f123.png

Spoiler

grafik.thumb.png.cfdb516ec2e2093de59566dd969f1fdb.png

Spoiler

grafik.thumb.png.ee605a8e2289f196d260ca4eef69e790.png

Spoiler

grafik.thumb.png.682d471b2d964da4adbdd339c57dcca9.png

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 26

The house was likely not that expensive to build. Nothing is high end. The countertops look laminate, the appliances are mid grade, no basement, you can easily hide low grade cabinetry with white paint, small square footage, and only the front is brick. I can’t tell if the carpet is low or mid grade but I’m betting it is. 

*I am not ripping on these types of homes!*

I just wanted to point this out since he’s in law school and it seems crazy to build a house when the husband is Not working and the wife is a SAHM who makes her money doing ads on Instagram. What I’m saying is that this was not an expensive home to build before people start asking “how could they afford this?” 

• Upvote 38
  • I Agree 3

Honestly, I’m surprised by the lack of Duggar boys doing construction in any of these photos. Do they or do they not build/rehab houses as a business? Were none of her family involved in this at all? If they were it seems strange to leave them out of all the pictures. I don’t usually buy the isolated-Jill talk, but dang! 

Edited to add thought - And her dad is in real estate, but they bought land through some random agent? This whole thing is so weird and unusual in her family. 

Edited by CharlieInCharge
Added thought
  • Upvote 35

The builders' site was really easy to find based on Jill's picture of them in front of the sold sign and the town they're in. If I was a public figure of any kind, however minor, I would be a lot more careful about things like that.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 8

With all the "Duggar Construction" brothers and brothers in law in the area, I just don't understand building a new house vs. rehabbing a rundown one.

also, is that house 3 bedrooms, max? And no basement? I guess they don't intend to cram 19 kids into it

I guess this means that Derick doesn't intend for his future stellar law career to ever take him away from NW Arkansas. The US Supreme Court can rest easy now.

So they will be, at most, 10 miles away from the Duggar compound.

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 15
  • Thank You 2

20 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

With all the "Duggar Construction" brothers and brothers in law in the area, I just don't understand building a new house vs. rehabbing a rundown one.

also, is that house 3 bedrooms, max? And no basement? I guess they don't intend to cram 19 kids into it

I guess this means that Derick doesn't intend for his future stellar law career to ever take him away from NW Arkansas. The US Supreme Court can rest easy now.

I’m going to take a guess:

This was quick and easy compared to rehabbing a house with the help of your brothers. It only took a few months and was likely inexpensive. These home builders only have a few home plans to choose from and if you don’t make any upgrades or major changes, the house is built pretty quickly. 

• Upvote 18

How can they afford to build a house on zero salary? An inexpensive house still costs money to build. 

Also what's up with the gazillion Bible verses? 

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 19

1 hour ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

457BDECD-A0BD-4836-82D8-2A4BB6613C92.png

0ABF1804-335C-44EA-8A37-59754AD1B2E4.png

B456A368-507F-4C6E-85DE-86D678C4A96C.png

My thirteen year old self would've loved this... particularly the bubble writing and the VERY SOPHISTICATED foreign languages.

My thirtysomething self is giving a big eye roll.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 17
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

This house seems very small to me. 

2 bedrooms, 3 max. ...

I wonder if this is a sign that they won‘t or can‘t add more children to the quiver... 

Even if it wasn‘t that expensive to build, would they build a home if they knew, that they will easily outgrow it in a couple of years (when there are more and more kids)?

(btw long time lurker first time poster. You are entertaining me for years, thank you!)

• Upvote 41

They bought it, or Cathy bought it??  My guess is that Derick has money from when his dad passed.  He's not a spendthrift and maybe they've been living off his savings?   But, do they have a mortgage?  How do you qualify for a loan if you don't have jobs?   Cathy might have stepped in with a big down payment.

It looks like the boys might have the opportunity to have friends in the neighborhood.

I hope the Dills are not asshole neighbors.  

Its about 15 mins or so from the TTH.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4

I like their house, it is a nice simple design and I think with it not being huge and only having 2 or 3 bedrooms they believe that they probably won't have a huge family. I still think if they can they will have one or two more, I think Jill will at least want to try for a girl.

I do think they have used money left from Derrick's dad, saving's from the show and maybe some of their earnings from doing promotion's online to pay for some of the build but they must have got money from elsewhere as well.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

So relieved this wasn't a pregnancy annoucement!

That looks like a nice sized yard for the boys.

Why with the handprint and the Jill and Derick forever. Are they 15?

Good luck their new neighbors! Watch out if you get invited over for dinner,

• Upvote 19
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

I'm never quite sure where the Dillards stand with the rest of the Duggars, but it's quite possible that none of the Duggar brothers were willing to work for/with the Dillards on a rehab.  That doesn't necessarily mean they're on the outs entirely, but I think we all have some family members we would agree to do a large project with...and others we wouldn't.  Derick is, at the very least, difficult, petty, and likes to make mountains out of molehills.  You don't do a reno for someone like that in your family unless you want to hear about and be blamed for every small issue for the rest of their time in the home.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Duggars were "too busy" with other jobs to take on another project OR refused to work with Derick if he had to go into debt to finance the project (which they almost certainly did).  

• Upvote 17

They are just insufferable. No jobs, tuition, young family...only entitled folks live like this. Why work? The Dillards are the official fundie welfare King& Queen.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 3

I'm not sure I'd read too much into the small house yet. They all seem to move around a lot. This might be the beginning of the Dillard real estate empire. Still, I'm glad it's not a pregnancy announcement.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, LittleOwl said:

Thanks @MiddleAgedLady.  I saw this on twitter and thought that is the least exciting news.... wedges and ketchup. 

image.png.721261ccd74caba8202bad7764a6c8f9.png

I’m pregnant and I can assure you there is nothing more exciting than potato wedges. ?

(Except maybe cheese steak. And everything else I’m craving.)

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The house was likely not that expensive to build. Nothing is high end. The countertops look laminate, the appliances are mid grade, no basement, you can easily hide low grade cabinetry with white paint, small square footage, and only the front is brick. I can’t tell if the carpet is low or mid grade but I’m betting it is. 

I just wanted to point this out since he’s in law school and it seems crazy to build a house when the husband is Not working and the wife is a SAHM who makes her money doing ads on Instagram. What I’m saying is that this was not an expensive home to build before people start asking “how could they afford this?” 

Thanks!

And you know what? Just this one time - good for them. I’m glad their boys are going to continue to have some real stability now that their parents are putting down roots. And hopefully this means they’ve accepted that they won’t be having a massive family as well, though that’s obviously not guaranteed. 

I’m honestly just really glad this wasn’t a pregnancy announcement for little Selah Michelle Dillard or Elton John Dillard. The less kids this family has the better off they’ll all be, but especially Jill and the two boys they already have.

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I totally agree that it's not high end. Also, Rausch and Coleman seem to have a bit of a "reputation" for poor-quality homes...a brief Google search turned up some rather unhappy customers. 

What gets me is that the Rausch and Coleman website is advertising their homes at rates of around $900 per month mortgage, which actually seems a bit high for the area. For a law student and a stay-at-home parent in northwest Arkansas, that's a lot of money. Needless to say, I fully believe that J and D are not paying for this entirely on their own...

Also, is it weird that I only get interested in Duggar threads when we're talking about houses? :my_biggrin:

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 6

I'm probably going to feel stupid when I get an answer, but I'm going to ask anyway. Can anyone tell me what the writing says in this shot? I tried flipping the pic, turning it upside down. I just can't find any letters or words I recognize. It reminds me of J.R.R. Tolkien's elvish or dwarvish alphabets.457BDECD-A0BD-4836-82D8-2A4BB6613C92.thumb.png.34e70da24d8def301f411d2877b0d4d7.png.25a613220e3c3863e5ad3a5a25c735d6.png

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I'm probably going to feel stupid when I get an answer, but I'm going to ask anyway. Can anyone tell me what the writing says in this shot? I tried flipping the pic, turning it upside down. I just can't find any letters or words I recognize. It reminds me of J.R.R. Tolkien's elvish or dwarvish alphabets.457BDECD-A0BD-4836-82D8-2A4BB6613C92.thumb.png.34e70da24d8def301f411d2877b0d4d7.png.25a613220e3c3863e5ad3a5a25c735d6.png

My guess is John 3:16 in Tibetan.

Also, thank you for all your upvotes. I always feel oddly cheered up when I see you've been reading and upvoting...personally it makes me feel rather appreciated!

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

Okay, I just answered my own question, and I do feel just a little silly. This pic from the blog helped:IMG_0179-768x1024.thumb.jpg.7ab7e4bea776a73a1435109ab22abd48.jpg

It looks like he was writing more Bible verses, but this time in Tibetan script. According to Wikipedia, "The Tibetan script is an abugida used to write the Tibetic languages such as Tibetan, as well as Dzongkha, Sikkimese, Ladakhi, and sometimes Balti." Script under spoiler.

Spoiler

tibetan-alphabet-pronunciation_omniglot-com.png.79bdec63a1eafc2eb539003b72a3160f.png

I guess I need to research first and post after! :pb_lol:

ETA--I didn't see your post at first, @Lisafer. Thank you!

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
ETA
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 6

Just because they "built" a house doesn't mean they are chained to it for life, they can move, it happens all the time.  I do think the Dullard's are completely persona non grata in JB land. They have been cut off either by JB or by Derrick. Obviously M and some of the other kids will see Jill from time to time but it doesn't seem like she has any contact with her dad or he with her and his grandsons. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

Could just be timing, but as of right now, none of the Duggars have liked Jill's exciting news post. 

• Haha 2
  • Thank You 7

• Georgiana locked this topic