IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 4: Please Leave the Catholics Alone and Now Gestating

Coconut Flan

Part of my work is social media marketing and I read this interesting article about how The Instagram Aesthetic is Over. The idea is that the look that's growing more popular is a lot more real and unfiltered versus the trend of stopping to get a pic in front of a bush bc you think the lighting will be perfect with your sunglasses at McDonalds.

Who knows if this changeover will keep on it's current trajectory, but gosh I hope so. 

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, Johannah said:

Is Josie the first Bates teen mom?

As @lumpentheologie said, Alyssa is the only one to come close so far. She was just about 20 years and 5 months old when Allie was born. Josie will be about 19 years and 10/11 months when Willow is born - Willow is due in July and I believe Josie turns 20 on August 4th. 

Out of the Duggars and Bateses, I believe that Kendra is currently the youngest first time mom. She was just over the 19 years and 10 months mark when she had Garrett. So she’ll barely edge Josie out for youngest first time mom. 

I believe these are the ages of the first time moms from youngest to oldest:

- Kendra Duggar (19 years 10 months)

- Josie Balka (~19 years 10/11 months)

- Joy Forsyth (just under 20 years 4 months)

- Alyssa Webster (20 years 4 months)

- Whitney Bates (21 years 1 month)

- Anna Duggar (21 years 3 months)

- Tori Smith (22 years 10 months)

- Jessa Seewald (23 years 1 day)

- Jill Dillard (23 years 10 months) 

- Erin Paine (24 years 12 days)

- Jinger Vuolo (24 years 6 months)

(I’m pretty sure I got these right. Apologies if I messed up as math isn’t my strongest area.)

So far both teen moms have been very close to 20 when having their first child. 3/5 Bates moms have been under 22 when having their first and 1/2 of the Duggars have been under 22 as first time moms. Erin is the only Bates so far to be over 23 when having her first. Lauren Duggar turns 20 next month, so she won’t be a teen mother if she and Josiah have children and the same goes for Abbie Duggar, who just turned 27, if she and John have kids. Carlin Bates turned 21 this month, so she won’t be a teen mom if she and Fundie Zoolander have kids either. 

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 14
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 2

@VelociRapture, that's so neat to see.  I had no idea Jinger was the oldest of all the Bates and Duggars to become a mom. 

Any chance you could do the same kind of list for Duggar/Bates fathers?

• Upvote 5

55 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

@VelociRapture, that's so neat to see.  I had no idea Jinger was the oldest of all the Bates and Duggars to become a mom. 

Any chance you could do the same kind of list for Duggar/Bates fathers?

Sure! Here you go:

- Ben Seewald (20 years 5 months)

- Josh Duggar (five days shy of 21 years 7 months)

- Joseph Duggar (23 years 4 months)

- Bobby Smith (one week shy of 23 years 9 months)

- Kelton Balka (~24 years) 

- Austin Forsyth (24 years 1 month)

- John Webster (25 years 4 months)

- Zach Bates (one day shy of 25 years 10 months)

- Derick Dillard (three days shy of 26 years 1 month)

- Chad Paine (four days shy of 28 years 1 month)

- Jeremy Vuolo (30 years 10 months)

So no teen dads amongst either family at this point. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 11

That is really interesting, mapped out like that.  I have to say it surprised me:  I thought all the parents were much younger at the time of first birth.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

Yeah, I definitely thought Austin and Joe were closer to 21 when they became fathers. Granted they weren't that far past it but still. Jeremy's age I have to say doesn't stand out to me at all. I know many non-fundies who became parents at 30 or even a couple of years before. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Wow just thinking if I didn’t go to college or start a career how LONG the five years from 18 to 23 (marriage) would have felt. 

• Upvote 12

pics from the baby shower. 

Spoiler

pic of Josie sitting in a rope swing drinking coffee. 

the bump. 

okay now I have to talk about how annoying Josie is with going to all these stores with her name on it. she was just shilling for Josie's botique to get her shower gown. then she went to I am assuming another store called Josie's that had baby stuff. Josie we get it, it has your name, does not mean you have to shop there. 

Remember she even went there for her eighteenth birthday. 

• Upvote 4

She really does look super young and Kelton has the male version of the "Can I speak with the manager" haircut. :P

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

She really does look super young and Kelton has the male version of the "Can I speak with the manager" haircut. :P

I have to disagree. All styled up she looks like she could be very well in her mid twenties. Not shaming. She looks beautiful but I have to remind myself how young she really is sometimes.

It is the same with Alyssa or Erin. Without make up they look super young. I guess that’s true for all of them.

I also think she looks even better now that she is married. I didn’t think she was the great beauty most here talked about but now I see it. Probably the little added weight in the face from pregnancy. In my eyes many slim people benefit a lot from a tiny bit filled out face. Or maybe I just like “rounder” faces in women. Kendra, Tori or Joy also have very pretty faces in my eyes. Much more than Jessa or Alyssa for example.

Edited by just_ordinary

On 4/24/2019 at 1:01 AM, theotherelise said:

On being surprised at how quickly they got pregnant...

There is a persistent stat that floats around that a couple has a 20% chance of pregnancy each cycle they try. I've had doctors quote it to me (as they told me to "just relax" ?). I've never found the source of this stat, but the only thing I can deduce is that it is an average. In reality, that % chance changes over time.

For people who are using timed intercourse with natural family planning (measuring body temps, tracking cervical mucus and position, etc) to try to conceive (or even just having consistent sex for much of the cycle), you have about 35% chance of pregnancy the first cycle. About 65% of people will be pregnant within 3 cycles and 80% of people will be pregnant within 6 cycles. If you make it to 6 cycles of timed intercourse with no pregnancy, then you have a 50% chance of getting pregnant in the next 6 cycles. These state include suspected ovulatory cycles. If you have evidence you are not ovulating (no periods or very very long cycles) then you do not have these odds. 

The currently propagated information causes a lot of worry from people that they will struggle to conceive.  It also goes to discount the concerns of women who have been trying for 6+ months but cannot get doctors to hear them. 

Anyway, more than twice as many people get pregnant their first cycle trying than get diagnosed with infertility. Unless Josie was having irregular periods, has some other health condition she thought would interfere with conception/pregnancy, or Kelton had concerns about his sperm health, then there was no reason to be surprised.

As someone who is currently in their first cycle trying to conceive this is really refreshing to read. Thank you!

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I have to disagree. All styled up she looks like she could be very well in her mid twenties. Not shaming. She looks beautiful but I have to remind myself how young she really is sometimes.

It is the same with Alyssa or Erin. Without make up they look super young. I guess that’s true for all of them.

I also think she looks even better now that she is married. I didn’t think she was the great beauty most here talked about but now I see it. Probably the little added weight in the face from pregnancy. In my eyes many slim people benefit a lot from a tiny bit filled out face. Or maybe I just like “rounder” faces in women. Kendra, Tori or Joy also have very pretty faces in my eyes. Much more than Jessa or Alyssa for example.

Kendra has the roundest face I have ever seen on a slender person of her age group. Man, she is all face.

I agree about how the makeup makes some of these ladies appear much older than their chronologic age. I also think that having a super thin face makes one appear older.

• Upvote 5

On 5/4/2019 at 3:42 AM, just_ordinary said:

Or maybe I just like “rounder” faces in women.

Thanks for this, I have a round face (it was Kendra-like when I was younger) and I've always thought it was pretty much a dealbreaker for attractiveness.  I see now how it can be cute, especially on the very young, but I had no idea there were people who actually preferred round faces on women. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 5

22 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

Thanks for this, I have a round face (it was Kendra-like when I was younger) and I've always thought it was pretty much a dealbreaker for attractiveness.  I see now how it can be cute, especially on the very young, but I had no idea there were people who actually preferred round faces on women. 

I have a very round face and it's a shape that looks younger at every stage in life.  I don't hate it anymore.

I wish I'd known some prefer that back when it would have mattered to me.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I have a very round face and it's a shape that looks younger at every stage in life. 

It's true, that is a plus. I'm 36 and people are usually surprised I'm over 30. 

• Upvote 4

If I saw a field of sunflowers (or anything particularly picturesque) my instinct would be to take a picture. It would not be to insert myself kissing my significant other.

I suppose it gives this shot a focal point (good in pictures). But somehow, I don't think that's what they're concerned about.

Ffs.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

I guess sunflowers are a lot less fragile than tulips but this picture reminds me of the criticism at the moment here in Netherlands of all the tourists that take pictures like this in the tulip-fields. The tulips get ruined by people standing on them and diseases are easily carried from one field to another.

Since I read that I don't really like pictures in flowerfields anymore.

• Upvote 10

2 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

I guess sunflowers are a lot less fragile than tulips but this picture reminds me of the criticism at the moment here in Netherlands of all the tourists that take pictures like this in the tulip-fields. The tulips get ruined by people standing on them and diseases are easily carried from one field to another.

Since I read that I don't really like pictures in flowerfields anymore.

Sunflowers aren't common in Europe, right? [I believe they are native to North America]. They are extremely tough--and tall!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

1 minute ago, HereticHick said:

Sunflowers aren't common in Europe, right? [I believe they are native to North America]. They are extremely tough--and tall!

Van Gogh did paint them.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Yes they are common. There are huge fields of sunflowers around Europe (not sure if they are only in the South or also in the North, but definitely not rare).

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Yes they are common. There are huge fields of sunflowers around Europe (not sure if they are only in the South or also in the North, but definitely not rare).

Whelp, I'm in my thirties but #TodayILearned. 

Totally thought they were only native and thriving in North America, like buffalo and Cheez-Whiz.

Also, I'm a double dumbass cause I never registered the fact that a Dutch dude who never left Europe painted them. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 19

I saw sunflower fields in Tanzania, Africa, so they're growing there too!

The pic makes me itchy.

• Upvote 4

There is a large farm near me that grows acres of sunflowers every year.  People come to take pictures and hayrides throughout the fields.  Bunches of the flowers are cut by volunteers and sold with proceeds going to the Make A Wish  foundation.  Plus, the farm sells its homemade ice cream (delicious!).

• Upvote 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic