IGNORED

Seewalds 37: Yes, Jessa is Pregnant

Jellybean

@NakedKnees I really couldn't read the 1st 2 books so I just skimmed over them the 3rd was a little better, and the 4 and subsequent books were, amazing. It is rare that the movies do the books justice but I think they did an amazing job on them as well.  My kids didn't know what to do when the HP series ended in 2012, those movies had spanned all but 1 year of my 2nd child's life, and she was 12 1/2 when the last move came out. my son was born as the 1st HP was being published it encompassed the childhood of so many young adults today, it is crazy to realize that Ron, Harry and Hermione, are now or about to turn 30.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Anna Bolinas said:

Obligatory "no name could be worse than Spurgeon" comment.

Hahaha. You must be new here, we have found many, many, many names that are worst then Spurgeon! 

I'm very mixed on Harry Potter. I loved the first four books and couldn't wait for the fifth one. When I got it, I was so disappointed. I hated it. I read it quickly, but I felt like nothing was happening for the majority of the book. Other then Sirus whining and Harry brooding. So, I brushed it off as a bad book in my opinion and said I would read the next one. I did and I hated that one even more. My friends were hugely into Harry Potter and my only question when they finished it was "Did Harry die?" I must admit I was slightly disappointed when he didn't. I did read the last book in 2014 and I have read them all this summer. 

I never liked Snape as a character because as a much bullied kid, I could never see me punishing my tormentor's kids for what they did. That would make them just as bad as they were. I don't think that there is much good in Snape. However, everyone is allowed their own version of him. That being said, that type of obsessive love is not healthy. 

16 minutes ago, sleepy_doggos said:

I would be more on board with Harry and Ginny if they had picked a more enjoyable actress for her role. The Ginny in the movies was dry and boring. She and Harry had no chemistry!
Ginny on paper is amazing.

I'm going purely on books right now. I didn't watch past the 4th movie 

34 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm still sad he's gone, losing him and Bowie at the same time was brutal. Both such talented men. I love everything Alan Rickman did, I just watched Robin Hood Prince of Theirs this weekend, he was a brilliant Sheriff of Nottingham, evil and funny. 

Same. My favorite character was probably Metatron in Dogma, but he was brilliant no matter what script was put in front of him.

22 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Why not? You must not remember or know about a show on back in the 80's called Newhart, The hilly billy brothers.  

daafb652b1c71379ac4d9968f2fee15b.jpg.7c48e8fada90108717342fa0b58e6c9f.jpg

Fun personal anecdote: I went to a catholic school with a dress code, but we were allowed to dress up for Halloween. Come that day, the boy I had a crush on shows up at his locker (next to mine) with his two best friends, all in ratty looking jeans, flannels, thermal undershirts, and knit caps. I asked if they were Larry, Darryl, and Darryl, and was mortified when I realized they weren’t wearing costumes, and that, my fellow FJers, is how I found out the grunge look was a thing.  

6 minutes ago, sleepy_doggos said:

I would be more on board with Harry and Ginny if they had picked a more enjoyable actress for her role. The Ginny in the movies was dry and boring. She and Harry had no chemistry!
Ginny on paper is amazing.

BOOK GINNY FTW! Movie Ginny is terrible, Bonnie Wright is lovely but had no chemistry with Dan Radcliffe, and also she was given terrible script/screenplay to work with in her role. Book Ginny has so much personality and even if she's not the deepest character in the series she's certainly well-developed enough of a character to match Harry. She's clearly clever, more laid-back, has a sense of humor, and takes no shit. 

More Harry Potter drift.... 

*My biggest issue with the Snape redemption story is that we never really see him regret his thoughts, behaviors, or actions.....only their *outcomes*. He never stops being an asshole, never even owns up to being an asshole, only goes around all butthurt - sure he makes hugely important and world-saving decisions later in life because of his butthurtness, but I personally don't think that's enough for redemption. He's not evil - he stands between the Trio and werewolf-Lupin in POA and prevents the torture of students in DH (not out of care for them but because he's half-decent and doesn't actively desire the deaths of children...) - but that doesn't make him good, either. I think Snape's best, truly good moment is following through on the plan to kill Dumbledore, sacrificing even more of his reputation to save Draco. 

*I love Lily Luna and her alliteration! (but hate the -us -us of Albus Severus lol). I feel like so many people don't like the choice of middle name because "Luna isn't as important as the rest of the namesakes"....but really, baby was born TEN years after, so we really don't know. If JKR really wrote the epilogue first, maybe the Lovegoods were originally supposed to be more critical to the series than ended up. Or maybe something happened between Luna and Harry/Ginny before or after the series that we miss out on. 

iirc Harry and Ron were born in 1980 and Hermione was born in 1979. So the characters would be nearly 40 now.

I'm working in a bar where this recent Def Leppard promo is on the inside of the bathroom door in the ladies' room. Does anybody else think the frontman kind of looks like an alternate universe blond rocker Snape?

defleppardjanuary2018bandpromo_638.jpg

Of course, there's also 90's Trent Reznor,

Spoiler

hB10C7835

Ron and Herminone had negative chemistry in the movies. They seemed to repel each other. The books almost sold the relationship, so maybe with different casting and scripts it could have worked in the movies. Of course you can hardly cast 10-year-olds based on sexual chemistry. I think the time Ron imagined Harry and Hermione kissing was included in the book as an excuse to do a dream-sequence kiss in the movie, and it was much better than they were with their actual partners.

I always saw Ron and Hermoine's chemistry as opposites attracting, and this is what I see in the movie too. I remember at the end of Chamber of Secrets, Ron gets a loving look on his face when Hermoine shows up in the dining hall alive and well at the end of the movie. There are moment of romantic tension between the two in the other films, but their dynamic is definitely that of an odd couple.

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm still sad he's gone, losing him and Bowie at the same time was brutal. Both such talented men. I love everything Alan Rickman did, I just watched Robin Hood Prince of Theirs this weekend, he was a brilliant Sheriff of Nottingham, evil and funny. 

Agreed. Robin Hood is still one of my favorite movies - Alan Rickman and Michael Wincott could have sat around reading the phone book to each other and I'd have watched. (I also still watch Labyrinth at least once a year, for Bowie.)

I adored Snape in the HP books. Yeah, he was terrible, but he was really complex and interesting. I've always found the full-on hero boring, and preferred villains and anti-heroes. Give me Starscream over Optimus Prime any day. Plus, Snape=Alan Rickman, who was perfection.

I hope Jessa has a girl, and they look around after a couple months and decide their family is complete. I am glad all the Duggar kids seem to be not actively trying for as many babies as possible, at least. Surely at some point one of the horde will look around and be like "OK. This is good. This is enough." Probably Jinger, or one of the younger girls.

39 minutes ago, justodd said:

Fun personal anecdote: I went to a catholic school with a dress code, but we were allowed to dress up for Halloween. Come that day, the boy I had a crush on shows up at his locker (next to mine) with his two best friends, all in ratty looking jeans, flannels, thermal undershirts, and knit caps. I asked if they were Larry, Darryl, and Darryl, and was mortified when I realized they weren’t wearing costumes, and that, my fellow FJers, is how I found out the grunge look was a thing.  

That is hysterical! 

Didn't JK Rowling say she sort of regretted putting Ron and Hermione together? Because it was just a sort of wish fulfillment on her end? Or something like that?

34 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I'm working in a bar where this recent Def Leppard promo is on the inside of the bathroom door in the ladies' room. Does anybody else think the frontman kind of looks like an alternate universe blond rocker Snape?

defleppardjanuary2018bandpromo_638.jpg

Of course, there's also 90's Trent Reznor,

Hide contents

hB10C7835

I'd go with Trent. 

I have never read the HP books. My son got the first three but I don't recall him reading past the first one. he never showed much of an interest and I don't read fantasy. He could read pretty well by the time he was 2 or 3. I read to him but it was a lot of Thomas the Tank Engine, which he also read the original stories on his own. As he got older he read a lot of mysteries and classic kids books. I do read horror and once he was in middle school, I introduced him to some of my favorites like It. 

On 1/9/2019 at 2:19 PM, Four is Enough said:

Joyce Meyer Seewald! LOL!

It's a red herring move... Jessa used to do the pillow thing a lot at first.. now it seems they all try to cover their midsections for photos.

I thought this said John Mayer Seewald while scrolling through ?

Just now, Carm_88 said:

Ben reading to Spurgeon and Henry who are clearly very into the book! 

Just look at Henry's little gut, I love a baby/toddler belly, they are just the cutest little boys.  Part of me wishes Jessa could post #besthubbyever #thisishowitsdone or just something snarky at Derelict. 

3 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

And its a normal children's book! No Tuttle twins! 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

he was a brilliant Sheriff of Nottingham,

Nottingham Castle had an actor play the sheriff and he used to TERRIFY a very little LittleOwl.  I wonder how differently I would have reacted it if was Mr Rickman... Hmm 

(if he doesn't threaten to cut my heart out with a spoon) 

13 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Ben should give Derrick a some lessons in how to choose an age-appropriate book and animate the reading to capture the child's attention & imagination.

I heard that there was a Harry Potter thread drift over here (that I fully take credit for starting), so I had to come back. Long post ahead.

Re: Snape. I dislike him because he’s such a child abusing asshole. Yes he had a traumatizing childhood, but that really doesn’t excuse it. And he only stopped being a Nazi because the woman he had an unhealthy obsession with was killed. To me he didn’t change sides because he realized Voldemort was evil, but for selfish reasons. I do have respect for him becoming a double agent, but it was always about Lily. It wasn’t about Harry or doing the right thing or defeating wizard Hitler, it was about Lily. As he said he didn’t care about Harry, he “always” loved Lily. The always thing from him just creeps me out.

Maybe part of him did care about Harry. And he did protect students from Voldemort as headmaster. But I don’t think he ever admitted caring about anyone but Lily to himself. He is a complex character, and someone said he was both the lost cowardly and most brave. I just don’t like him.

And I agree that Hagrid doesn’t get enough credit. Hagrid picked Harry up from the rubbles of his home and sobbed when he left Harry with the Dursley’s. He’s the one who came and fetched Harry to introduce him to the wizarding world and is the first person who told Harry the truth about who he is. He truly loves Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

I think the name Lily Luna is really pretty. The main reason I wouldn’t name my child that is lillies are kitty poison and I don’t want gifts of lillies from people who think they’re being clever. I might also be mildly allergic. My dad is pretty allergic.

23 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

I'm really bothered by the name MACUSA. That doesn't sound like a US governing body to me. Something like MACOTUS might make sense (like POTUS or SCOTUS), or my friend suggested the North American Federation of Wizards since it apparently predates the US (which makes the name make even less sense).

I agree that it super duper doesn’t fit at all . Jo has put so much effort into so many tiny little details and she couldn’t have given that a little bit more thought? Maybe they changed the name of MACUSA from something else after the US became a thing? I’m afraid to find out because Jo has come up with really whacky things lately. Like it was revealed recently before the adoption of muggle plumbing wizards just pooped where they stood and used a vanishing spell. Which is all kinds of horrifying and disgusting. And Hogwarts students don’t learn that spell until their 5th year, I believe. So so younger students just poop on the floor and walk away? 

22 hours ago, BernRul said:

I don't know, I think there's something beautiful and poetic about it. It shows how far Harry has come as a person. 

I trimmed the post, but very beautifully written. I hadn’t really thought of it that way before. And it really does show excellent character growth.

12 hours ago, Markie said:

Other than Luna perhaps, it doesn’t appear that Ginny had any input in her children’s names. 

Maybe she wasn’t allowed to give input after naming Ron’s owl Pigwidgeon? 

10 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

Also does any listen to the "Harry Potter and the Sacred Text" podcast? I only just found it, but I am actually enjoying the idea and the fresh look at books I have read so many times. I also loved my English classes in high school so it is kind of neat to use some of those skills I learned way back then on a text I actually like.

I just started listening (I know, it’s shocking I didn’t start when it first came out) and I love it so far. L

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I’ve been reading the books to my two year old for a while now. We’re currently on Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry is having dinner with Hermione and the Weasleys at the Leaky Cauldron before heading back to school.) My daughter LOVES Harry! She gets all excited when she sees him on the dust jacket and her little Harry Potter shirts are her favorites to wear. Our library also has a Dobby statue in the kids section and we always wind up going over to say Hi and Bye.

I usually read a few pages while she’s in the bathtub now, but sometimes she’ll let me read to her while she plays in her room. Other times she takes the book away and “reads” on her own. If she doesn’t seem interested in it then I’ll grab a picture book and read that to her instead. 

Your daughter is amazing, FYI

4 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

Love the Harry Potter drift. I'm overall okay with the name "Albus Severus." That detail is far from the top of the list of travesties that The Cursed Child gave us. I still consider it canon, but man, the Wizarding World's solid understanding of time travel helped me get through metaphysics in university, then Cursed Child came and RUINED IT. Ugh. Yeah, Harry's kids' names don't bug me that much.

Snape is a well-wrought and complex character. I honestly don't find the abusive/problematic parts of his character to be much worse than Dumbledore's or Sirius'. I genuinely think that before he became a wizard nazi in school, he and Lily's relationship was one of the most precious and beautiful parts of the series. What happened due to his horrible choices was tragic and I've always been satisfied with how it played out in the story. The "Snape was an abuser, no further discussion" side of the HP fandom has their right to view it that way, but that's just not for me. 

I love "Harry Potter and the Sacred Text," but my all-time favorite Harry Potter podcast is "Witch, Please." I think a lot of Harry Potter fans on FJ would love it, especially the initial section (roughly called "Season 1") of the podcast where they go through each book and movie applying an academic but intersectional feminist lens.

FUCK CURSED CHILD!!!

Thanks for the other podcast recommendation! I’ll have to check it out!

C6302921-814F-458C-A4C7-2EE37DA3BA7F.jpeg

Also I saw this the above other day which fits this conversation. I can totally see this happening. A poster said uniting James and Severus’ names would be an amazing gesture, but I feel like James would give him shit for it in the afterlife  “YOU PUT MY NAME WITH TOGETHER WITH THAT GREASY HAIRED SLIMEBALL?”

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived