IGNORED

Dillards 72: Peak Pathetic

Jellybean

9 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

am starting to think that Jill is in a very bad place and that things are going to get worse. ?

It's been done before, I know but just the contrast between the 2 pregnancy announcements speaks volumes:

1.jpg

Spoiler

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry but I laughed at Jana's bread photo because it DID look really nice and Jill was all up in her comment section like "Yay memories!" too.

I wonder if she'll try to do the same recipe and post a photo?

8 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Have we figured out how Jessa and Jinger have steered to healthier foods while Jill just sticks to cans?

because that is jill in a heartbeat. She thinks like her parents taught her. She will never evolve for fear of actually having her own thought. She thinks if she doesn't use canned food she is doing something wrong. 

6 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Jill should take food photography advice from Jana. She has nailed it. 

But I don't like Jana's recipe. She should put the measurements so people can weigh it instead. Who in the right mind would count out 17 cups? You'd lose count halfway through and have to start all over. Put it in bloody weight units. 

17 cups??? What about normal people who aren’t feeding a small army? What measurements do we use?

4 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Who in North America has a food scale? They're not common here like they are in Europe.

That said, it might've been easier if she used litres or gallons.

A quick google suggests you can get one at amazon, walmart, target, kroger etc. 

#noicantandwontcountto17 

17 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

A quick google suggests you can get one at amazon, walmart, target, kroger etc. 

#noicantandwontcountto17 

I sometimes use one to weigh how much I'm eating because I track my calories.

I made bread just yesterday and used about eight cups for two loves.

There is plenty to snark on and even more to BEC over about Jill. But I do appreciate how much Jill stays connected with her younger siblings. There is frequently talk about how she's not close to Jessa or Jinger or whatever, but maybe that's because she always cared more about being her buddy group leader. In the November pictures update, she has several pictures with the younger kids and it's one of the first smiling Jordyn pictures I've seen in awhile. She seems to pick them up and drive them places regularly and to host them at her house as well. That must be very nice for the kids to get out of the house and have someone actually caring about them individually.

We live in the US and have a food scale. We probably bought it on amazon. I don't use it that often but my husband does. He likes to actually measure and weigh things out properly whereas I like to just eyeball it, but it does come in handy.

5 minutes ago, artdecades said:

Jill looked so genuinely happy in those pictures. She never looks like that in pictures she posts anymore. 

I absolutely agree. I hadn't noticed the stark difference in her general happiness level until seeing those photos side by side. I truly hope she is well mentally. I know I have had a bout with postpartum anxiety (not diagnosing her - no idea what she has going on, if anything) after my second child was born in late 2017. It's still not resolved, but it's getting better with actual help from a professional therapist. That said, I have moved across the country twice since then (military husband), much like Jill has been yanked from place to place (so glad she's settled near home for now, for her own sake), and my husband works REALLY long hours, much like Derick's school schedule, I'm sure. It's a lonely place to be home with two kids all day every day and feeling like a single parent (though at least we have my husband's income). She knows a ton of people in her area, though, so I would hope she's getting out and about with friends (if she has them). I know that's made a world of difference for me, and it's tough starting from scratch meeting people every time we move.. but for my own sake, I have to get myself out there. The break I get from my 3 year old from half day preschool three days a week (while the baby naps!) is a godsend to me. Jill doesn't even have that break. I hope she's utilizing family/friends to get some time for herself. 

28 minutes ago, JesSky03 said:

We live in the US and have a food scale. We probably bought it on amazon. I don't use it that often but my husband does. He likes to actually measure and weigh things out properly whereas I like to just eyeball it, but it does come in handy.

I have a food scale, sometimes I use it for food, mostly I use it for weighing my yarn (so I know how much I used, and consequently, know how much I have left!)

3 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'm sorry but I laughed at Jana's bread photo because it DID look really nice and Jill was all up in her comment section like "Yay memories!" too.

I wonder if she'll try to do the same recipe and post a photo?

Actually, my first thought when reading Jill's comment was more along the lines of "lol I remember when I was the kitchen slave baking all those breads". It's a bit sad to think that Jana probably is responsible for all those household chores (or at least delegating them and making sure stuff gets done) now with no end in sight. Just my idle speculation, though.

17 cups is easy - use the 4 cup scoop 4 x and the 1 cup scoop once :-).   But yeah, that's a crap ton of bread!

1 hour ago, artdecades said:

Jill looked so genuinely happy in those pictures. She never looks like that in pictures she posts anymore. 

Even Derick looked pretty adorable in the early photos, like a sweet young guy.   And then in that pic where they were holding up the outfit to indicate Sam's sex, he's just turned into some hippie weirdo.   Like, what happened to him in 2 years??

I live in America and love my food scale. It's more reliable and if you grind your own wheat you can do just the right amount. Finally you can use recipes f errr I'm other countries where its the standard 

1 minute ago, justoneoftwo said:

I live in America and love my food scale. It's more reliable and if you grind your own wheat you can do just the right amount. Finally you can use recipes f errr I'm other countries where its the standard 

I don't have a food scale, but that's because I'm an eyeballer on most things! And for yeast bread, the amount of flour will never be an exact amount whether it's weighed or measured, because things like elevation and humidity screw with how much flour you need. I usually throw in a few cups, then start adding less and less until it's ready to knead, and then add tiny bits to reduce stickiness. Putting too much flour in will make your bread dry and tough, but too little and you have a heck of a mess on your hands. 

This has been your unnecessary cooking advice of the day. :my_biggrin:

1 minute ago, Lisafer said:

I don't have a food scale, but that's because I'm an eyeballer on most things! And for yeast bread, the amount of flour will never be an exact amount whether it's weighed or measured, because things like elevation and humidity screw with how much flour you need. I usually throw in a few cups, then start adding less and less until it's ready to knead, and then add tiny bits to reduce stickiness. Putting too much flour in will make your bread dry and tough, but too little and you have a heck of a mess on your hands. 

This has been your unnecessary cooking advice of the day. :my_biggrin:

I tend to be really scientific about baking, but yes some people have that skill! I just don't, although after following a recipe for a while I start eyeballing. 

Oh, when someone said perhaps Izzy being made to sit up on that perch as some sort of (danger!) punishment, I got chills.

That made perfect sense. It's the three year old form of     blanket training.

They do not ever show understanding of what their kids need. I'm sure that Izzy and Sam need to run around,jump, explore, pick up worms in the yard, get dirty, dig holes, and my question is, do they ever get to do these things? We see Spurge and Henry playing in the yard.... but i don't think I've ever seen Izzy in the grass.

Kids need to wiggle and squirm. Do you know that, Jill and DWreck?

9 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Jill should take food photography advice from Jana. She has nailed it. 

But I don't like Jana's recipe. She should put the measurements so people can weigh it instead. Who in the right mind would count out 17 cups? You'd lose count halfway through and have to start all over. Put it in bloody weight units. 

We don't do that here in the U.S,, some people obviously do, but it isn't as common as it is in Europe. And one thing Jana should have done was cut the recipe down by at least 1/2, I have a similar recipe, but because I suck at math I can't tell you in fractions how many times I reduce the size of  hers,  I figured by it by cutting it in 1/2 and then cutting  by 1/2 again, so I'm only making 1 large loaf of bread or 4 mini loafs.  That recipe is insane, a family of 3 or 4 can't eat 4 huge loafs of bread in a weeks time, they could but they would be mighty sick of it and mighty sick too.  That is a lot of bread, even for this bread lover. 

13 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

We don't do that here in the U.S,, some people obviously do, but it isn't as common as it is in Europe. 

What would people do if they were counting calories? I use my food scale a lot to weigh food if I know it has x amount of calories per 100 g, then I can find out how many calories I'm eating. Very useful for the 5-2 diet when on two days you only eat ~500 calories. Is there a way to count calories without a scale? I suppose if serving sizes are given in cups? 

On 1/11/2019 at 10:51 PM, ViolaSebastian said:

Have we discussed these? Apologies if we have. 

Hide contents

20984AD7-8683-4F1B-9D8A-EB195E5A7E3A.jpeg

Hide contents

1A5A7374-F85B-4C3B-ABD4-1CA7E6E63229.jpeg

Well that's a trip to the hospital waiting to happen. In the first picture I would not take the time to take a picture before getting my toddler down from that precarious situation. Kids crawl, believe me I know, but it's your job as a parent to at least attempt to prevent them from breaking an arm. That second picture though, that's all on them. I don't believe for a second Izzy built that up and managed to crawl up there with no adult intervention. 

2 hours ago, artdecades said:

she still had light in her eyes.... its not quite there anymore. 

6 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

It's been done before, I know but just the contrast between the 2 pregnancy announcements speaks volumes:

1.jpg

Hide contents

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I know this isn't the point of this post but every time I see this I want to punch that stupid hat off DD's head. Like I get irrationally angry at that hat and hair. 

3 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

I sometimes use one to weigh how much I'm eating because I track my calories.

I made bread just yesterday and used about eight cups for two loves.

Same! I track my calories and portion intake so I have a food scale and use it regularly. I've lost 110 pounds in 2 years by eating better, now I just have to keep it off. 

8 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Who in North America has a food scale? 

Me and everyone I know IRL. 

I use mine for everything! I even have one at work, we use it for food and postage. 

18 minutes ago, Sullie06 said:

I know this isn't the point of this post but every time I see this I want to punch that stupid hat off DD's head. Like I get irrationally angry at that hat and hair. 

Same! I track my calories and portion intake so I have a food scale and use it regularly. I've lost 110 pounds in 2 years by eating better, now I just have to keep it off. 

What app do you use? I use Loseit

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived