IGNORED

Dillards 71: YAAAAAY

Coconut Flan

IDK, when I  was a kid my parents bought me plenty of toys, but I also had an absolute blast building forts and making dioramas out of cardboard boxes. My parents would always save the boxes and bubble wrap from packages for me and my sister to play with; kids are expensive af, so I'm sure they were grateful for a free way to keep us occupied and out of their hair. I'm not going to fault Jill and ofJill for this one. 

Though Jill, may I suggest some synonyms for YAAAAAAY just to spice things up? Why not HUZZAH? 

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

IDK, when I  was a kid my parents bought me plenty of toys, but I also had an absolute blast building forts and making dioramas out of cardboard boxes. My parents would always save the boxes and bubble wrap from packages for me and my sister to play with; kids are expensive af, so I'm sure they were grateful for a free way to keep us occupied and out of their hair. I'm not going to fault Jill and ofJill for this one. 

Though Jill, may I suggest some synonyms for YAAAAAAY just to spice things up? Why not HUZZAH? 

It's not that she's letting her kids play with a box, it's that she thinks her husband giving her a shoe box is worthy of praising him on social media for it. 

I'm still so interested on their income since they have no job. Jill can't still be living off show money, can she?

My ex worked in a shop where sometimes large pieces of equipment would come in in huge boxes.  Sometimes he'd get to them first and open them up carefully so he could bring them home and put them in the yard.  That's all you need to do.  The kids find all sorts of things to do with a big box.  Eventually it gets rained on or they decide to see if it works as a trampoline and you put in in the recycle bin, but until then their imagination really takes hold.

6 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Hoarding.... I’m a messy person, unfortunately. I’m nowhere near hoarder level or anything, but it’s not great. I’ve been this way forever. Maybe 2019 should be the year I get my ass in gear and make it a resolution to keep my room tidier. 

I've read that this can be a symptom of untreated attention deficit disorder or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

Funnily enough my mother reckons I could have some form of ADHD (inattentive type). A few of the symptoms are covered by autism spectrum disorder which I do have. People with that can be messy; I don’t know for sure with every person, but perhaps mess just doesn’t affect them in the same way it might a neurotypical person. Some people with ASD, of course, will prefer a completely tidy environment. 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'm still so interested on their income since they have no job. Jill can't still be living off show money, can she?

Same here.  Even if they're getting a break on rent from Cross Church, it's expensive to support a family of four in the manner to which they are accustomed.  I doubt all their utilities are covered in the rent agreement.  Maybe they qualify for food stamps?  Somehow, I can't see them going through the application process.  Too humiliating.  Can you see the tabloid headlines if Jill was caught on camera paying for their groceries with a SNAP card?  They could be getting health insurance through the ACA.  I doubt they'd be on Medicaid, as Arkansas has a work requirement for that program.  There's also car expenses, and I'm sure they're not driving without insurance.  When people talk about the Dillards living on student loans, I wonder if they're factoring the expenses for a family of four?  That's a massive amount of debt, and we know what Jill was taught about going into debt.

For a long time, I've thought Jill & company are getting a payout from some sort of Duggar trust.  That could still be the case.  But more and more, I'm thinking that Kathy is contributing to the Dillard's support.  She may have come into some serious money from her first husband's life insurance.

There are two times my cats love me most. When I feed them. And when I get a shipment and they have a new box to fight over.

There are many times my cats hate me. The worst is when I bring their beloved box out to the recycling.

Derick giving them a box is probably the best thing he has done for them.

I remember the Christmas we got our first PC, my little cousin had just turned 1 and when my dad had brought down the huge box for her to play with, she was so excited and played with it for hours. He kept the box for years and other kids in the family used it as forts and houses, it lasted longer than our PC did. 

59 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

There are two times my cats love me most. When I feed them. And when I get a shipment and they have a new box to fight over.

There are many times my cats hate me. The worst is when I bring their beloved box out to the recycling.

I currently have a box in my family room that has been there for two weeks. My kitten loves to jump in it and have his toy mice thrown at him. 

14 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

About the burial/cremation/donation topic:

I’d like to take a moment to urge anyone reading this to consider registering as an organ donor. In the US alone:

1. One person is added to a transplant waiting list every 10 minutes

2. 22 people die each day because the organ they need isn’t available in time

3. One organ, eye, and tissue donor can potentially save up to 75 lives.

Its a simple process to register and can be done here for our US posters. Every major religion allows for a person to donate their organs after their death because it’s a final act of love and compassion. Donor families are not responsible for any costs associated with the donation - only the costs from before the donor’s death and the cost for their funeral. Celebrities do not get preferential treatment when it comes to waiting lists - they go by order of who needs the organ the most and is in good enough condition for the transplant surgery to take place. And, most importantly, being an organ donor will not change the level of care you receive should you end up in a life threatening situation. Doctors and Nurses always prioritize the wellbeing of the patient in front of them.   

This is a subject very close to my heart. My brother became a living donor almost a decade ago when he donated nearly half his liver to a boy from our hometown. He was just weeks from death when my brother was found to be a match. 

The first NICU Nurse to care for my daughter was also a recipient of organ donation. She was born with liver disease and a decade age she became extremely ill. She would have died had a student at her college - who did not know her - not stepped forward to donate part of his liver to her. Because of his selfless choice she is alive today providing exceptional care to NICU patients and their families.  

And finally, a sadder story. A third young person from my hometown was also born with liver disease and had received a lifesaving transplant. Unfortunately, she became sick a few years later with something that wouldn’t have been an issue for most people. She had to stop her anti-rejection meds due to treatment for the illness and her donated liver began to fail. She ended up back on the transplant list and had an almost transplant thatdidnt happen because I think she had a fever and that prevented them from performing the surgery. She died at the age of 18. 

So please, consider donating if you aren’t registered yet. And if you are then please urge the people you know to register as well. Your organs aren’t going to be much use to you after you’re dead, but they could end up saving someone else’s life. 

Done- I have it on my license but have registered at Donate Life now.

7 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

Related to this, I would also like to beg anyone here on FJ to consider registering as a stem cell donor.

This is of very personal significance to me as my sister was diagnosed with leukemia (AML) last year. She fought through 5 rounds of chemotherapy and was in remission this summer. She just had another checkup and has been found to have had a relapse.

So for the second year in a row, she will be spending Christmas in hospital undergoing an even harsher chemotherapy to try and stop the disease again. She will also miss out on her daughter's second birthday, after having missed out on her first birthday last year.

If After (because I refuse to believe any other outcome) the chemotherapy is successful, she will be prepared for a stem cell transplant provided they can find a suitable match. Due to our very mixed origin and the fact that mixed/non-white people register less for stem cell donation, this may be very difficult. They already tested me as her only sibling last year, and unfortunately I'm not an option :(

Please, please, register for stem cell donation. Especially if you are non-white or of mixed origin.

It is usually very easy, in most countries you just need to provide a DNA sample on a cotton swab. And even the process of donating itself no longer requires an operation.

Please. Someone's life may depend on you.

Also, if you can, consider donating blood. I know it's a bit of an industry, therefore perhaps avoid intermediaries and donate directly at a hospital. Many large hospitals have the option of donating directly. Blood is needed not only for victims of accidents, shootings, etc. but most of the time for people with cancer. People suffering from leukemia, for example, depend on donated blood to keep up their blood count after receiving chemotherapy.

Again, please. Your contribution can make a huge difference.

Thank you. ❤️

Definitely get on the stem cell/bone marrow list! It's something you can do and go about living your life, you just regrow the cells.

I donated to my uncle 8.5 years ago and his leukemia is gone and he thanks me every birthday he has! I'd do it again in a heartbeat for just about anyone. My back was sore for a few days and I had to eat a extra bit of red meat for a bit, but that's easy! 

Appliance boxes are the BEST! We cut out windows and were drive throughs, used the boxes whiile playing cowboy, as stage coaches, and tunnels, and mines, and anything you could think of.... they did last for years!

My cat will come sprinting out of where ever he is hiding if he hears us opening up an amazon package. 

If there's multiple things in the box, he won't wait for us to get everything out before hopping in.

One of my cats is in love with boxes and gift bags Every year for my birthday, one of my friends gives me a present in a gift bag. Every year said cat whines and cries until I take the presents out of the bag and give her the bag. 

Organ donor, I am one. It was recently added to our provincial health cards to make sure that everyone had the option to be a donor. 

My siblings and I loved boxes when we were kids. We got a refrigerator or something and it was delivered without a box. My mom asked and they gave us TWO!! huge boxes. We used them until they were destroyed and had a great time!

4 minutes ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

My siblings and I loved boxes when we were kids. We got a refrigerator or something and it was delivered without a box. My mom asked and they gave us TWO!! huge boxes. We used them until they were destroyed and had a great time!

I remember a big box and me decorating it as my castle. 

Once my dad’s truck was filled with empty boxes. I can’t remember why, but it was glorious. My brother and I created mazes and different rooms and hung out for hours. It rained that weekend and my brother returned to the house, but I just grabbed a book and hung out in the boxes and listened to the rain.*

*californian here. Our rain is occasionally fierce, but often gentle. Ensconced in my layers of box-maze-rooms, water wasn’t an issue.

Have a cat who loves boxes. Joined FabFitFun this year (and not cause of Jill's one day post ?) But on their forum they have a "reveal" thread where people post pics of their box contents (they have lots of add ons you can pick besides the standard box). At least half the pics include excited cats and dogs hovering over the boxes, which then the convo always turns into the pets.

My cats is also obsessed with cabinets. I have accidently shut him into the pantry twice because of him jumping in there without me seeing. #catmomfail

39 minutes ago, OldFadedStar said:

My cat will come sprinting out of where ever he is hiding if he hears us opening up an amazon package. 

If there's multiple things in the box, he won't wait for us to get everything out before hopping in.

We were looking for one of our cats a couple weeks ago, She's deaf so she can't hear us calling her and we couldn't find her anywhere. DD was really freaking out that something happened to said cat since it had been a good 30 minutes and we couldn't find this cat in our 1800 sq foot home.  As I'm talking #2 off the ledge that the cat is IN the house SOMEWHERE and she will come out when she is good and damn ready, she can't hear us not a whole lot we can do if she's in cat nap mode.  Anyway long story short about an hour later hubby screams from the basement, and when we go down there he's laughing his ass off. Moo (yes we have a deaf cat named Moo) was inside an amazon box inside another box. He was cleaning up the basement and moved the box in the box and in doing so startled the cat causing her to, well cat, and we found her. 

10 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

I’ve been an organ donor for many years but getting pretty old so don’t know if they can use anything now!

jill posted this and she’s praising the fool for giving the boys an empty box to play with!  Those are really expensive boots the jerk bought himself!!

Hide contents

F039AC4F-15A2-4D47-89CE-3A7114B037F0.thumb.jpeg.181939598104539179a27e5efbd250d4.jpeg

I love Sam, he always looks sooooo over it all!  

Sam has a perpetual look of "what have I gotten myself into????" to me.  So, did Derick actually make the push box, or just provide the box and Jill did the rest?  Inquiring minds want to know!  My guess is he provided the box and then rested after his busy day being the #besthubbyever!

6 minutes ago, bella8050 said:

Have a cat who loves boxes. Joined FabFitFun this year (and not cause of Jill's one day post ?) But on their forum they have a "reveal" thread where people post pics of their box contents (they have lots of add ons you can pick besides the standard box). At least half the pics include excited cats and dogs hovering over the boxes, which then the convo always turns into the pets.

My cats is also obsessed with cabinets. I have accidently shut him into the pantry twice because of him jumping in there without me seeing. #catmomfail

I remember a quite a few years back, I couldn't find my cat. I looked everywhere. I could hear the jingle from his collar, but no cat. i heard the noise coming from the refrigerator and was convinced he had gotten stuck behind it. Turned out he was in the little cabinet above the frig just hanging out. 

4 hours ago, Flossie said:

My ex worked in a shop where sometimes large pieces of equipment would come in in huge boxes.  Sometimes he'd get to them first and open them up carefully so he could bring them home and put them in the yard.  That's all you need to do.  The kids find all sorts of things to do with a big box.  Eventually it gets rained on or they decide to see if it works as a trampoline and you put in in the recycle bin, but until then their imagination really takes hold.

It's been several decades but I still remember when my parents got a new refrigerator from Sears and we kids got the box it came in to play with.  I believe it was at times:  a store, our apartment, a fort, a classroom, .....  we had a blast with that box until it could take no more :)  Cannot believe my mom did not take a picture of us playing in it, and include it in her annual Christmas letter to friends and relatives, thanking our dad for providing that box for us!!!  Sheesh mom, way to fail on being a good wifey.

Jill doing a holiday craft project for her kids but spending the whole post thanking Derick for letting her use his old shoebox has the same energy as Jill posting to thank Derick for putting a candle on the table while she feeds the kids, bathes the kids, and puts the kids to sleep.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived