IGNORED

Dillards 71: YAAAAAY

Coconut Flan

39 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

OMG my BFF's mother actually yelled at me for this, being like "You can't click yes, you have children! They won't try to save you!"

Is she living in some kind of Robin Cook alternative universe? If that were true people would go in for a broken toe and never come out again.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I registered to be a marrow donor at university and then promptly forgot about it.  In the last five years, I have matched and been called up twice to undergo additional tests and in once case, even had travel arranged to a medical center to complete my donation.  In both cases, a donation was not needed but to the poster who mentioned minority donations are especially needed, I think that is 100% the case.  I'm half mexican and whilst I was not given information about the recipient, both times the potential recipient was in southern Texas.  

On 12/22/2018 at 11:07 AM, Satan'sFortress said:

I registered to be a whole body donor and then after reading here did a little more digging.  It was through Science Care and when I checked it out more, it appears to be a fee-based organization, which turns me off.  I want to donate to a reputable, nonprofit organization.  Now I am not sure what to do.  There are no such places in my state, so I'd have to pay for them to take me (the transport, anyway).  I am so thrifty, that actually bothers me :blush: Really, I just want to find a reputable place. 

My late father-in-law had it all set up with the university medical center in his city.

12 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

You both likely know this already, but for those who are reading who don’t:

This is completely and totally false. The level of care you receive will not be dependent on your status as an organ donor. When you are admitted to a Hospital during an emergency the only thing the Doctors and Nurses are concerned about is saving your life.  Donation does not become an option until you are already dead*.

For more Organ Donation myth busting, head on over here!

*The only caveat to this is in the case of living donors, like my brother. From my limited experience there’s a rigorous screening process that includes multiple physical evaluations/tests, bloodwork, and psychological screening. This is to ensure that only willing participants fully capable of understanding and consenting to major elective surgery are chosen as donors. The living donor has separate medical professionals, or at least a separate social worker/psychologist to act as their advocate, to ensure that their wellbeing is being considered at all times during the process. The transplant team doesn’t only care about the person receiving the organ - they also care deeply about the living donor and making sure they get through the process as smoothly as possible. 

I know its not true. My moms always been a worrier and worse case scenario type of person. Her mom passed it to her and she passed it to me a little bit. Luckily I dorm! Sorry mom ?

I'd love to be an organ donor but my religion doesn't allow it. So instead I donate blood every 3-4 months. My ambition is to donate a kidney, when I'm done having kids.

I knew from a young age I wanted to donate any and every part of my body that can be donated. I think organ donation is a truly wonderful and amazing thing. 

On 12/22/2018 at 11:16 AM, ViolaSebastian said:

I'm donating my body to science as well. I went with my alma mater, which has a medical school and a body bequeathal program. I'd suggest checking out universities in your area. 

3 hours ago, Casserole said:

The school I went to would get direct donations, and usually the hearse would bring the bodies directly from funeral homes. The school covered the costs of transportation, I believe within a 100 mile radius. If you live near a medical school or even just larger college, they may have similar programs if it's something you'd really like to do. 

That would be my plan, as well, except that my state doesn't have any kind of medical school.  There is no facility in my state that takes body donations.  There are two nearby states that accept bodies from my state, but the family has to pay the cost to transport me.  It probably isn't that much, I just hate to be any kind of expense!

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

You both likely know this already, but for those who are reading who don’t:

This is completely and totally false. The level of care you receive will not be dependent on your status as an organ donor. When you are admitted to a Hospital during an emergency the only thing the Doctors and Nurses are concerned about is saving your life.  Donation does not become an option until you are already dead*.

Stupid 18-year-old me heard this myth and believed it and wasn't an organ donor for years as a result. Changing over to be a donor was on my 2017 "List of Boring Adult Things I Need to Do."

BTW, for anyone wanting to change over, it's a very simple process on the DMV website. Took me less than five minutes. There were waaay more boring and time consuming adult things on that list. ?

When one of my brothers became a fundie nut job, he said he wouldn't sign an organ donor card because when Jebus raised him up he was going to need everything. I don't know what he thinks happens to your body in a coffin for decades or centuries. Or why, if the afterworld is the kind of place where you actually need a human body, Jebus can't just supply you with a new cornea or liver or whatever it is you need.

A former co-worker of mine's wife died of a brain aneurysm. They did everything they could to save her, including life-flighting her to a bigger hospital. Unfortunately, she died. The organ donation team came to discuss donation AFTER the determination of brain death. When it was determined she was brain dead, the attending doctor came and asked him how he felt about donating her organs. He agreed and that was when they started the donation protocol. He was given the opportunity to say good-bye and all that before they wheeled her into surgery, and another chance afterwards. 

Her organs saved 7 people. Her heart, liver, kidneys, corneas, skin and bones were donated. 

Well, thanks to everyone here. I signed an organ card and planned on having the rest, which is probably most, cremated and in running water somewhere, but now I think I'll donate to science. If they can find anything useful, more power to them. My alma mater has a reputable medical school, so off goes the email.

On 12/20/2018 at 10:01 AM, front hugs > duggs said:

There are two times my cats love me most. When I feed them. And when I get a shipment and they have a new box to fight over.

There are many times my cats hate me. The worst is when I bring their beloved box out to the recycling.

Update: they love me. FDE5BA22-03DB-4955-88E4-B074EB7D7CEF.thumb.jpeg.baaa54eeeee24497e3eaa648c7423138.jpeg

32 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Update: they love me. FDE5BA22-03DB-4955-88E4-B074EB7D7CEF.thumb.jpeg.baaa54eeeee24497e3eaa648c7423138.jpeg

OMG this is almost the exact pic I posted on FB a week or so ago. Expensive kitty condo? Couldn't care less. Toys? Blah. Persuade him to leave the box? Over his dead body.

6 hours ago, KeshetParparNesicha said:

I'd love to be an organ donor but my religion doesn't allow it. So instead I donate blood every 3-4 months. My ambition is to donate a kidney, when I'm done having kids.

Wait, really? I’ve always thought that giving up organs you no longer need to save someone’s life is the ultimate mitzvah. I haven’t talked to a rabbi about it or anything.

1 hour ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Such happy kitties!!

My uncle recently received a kidney through an altruistic living donor. There arent words enough to thank the lady who sacrificed so much for him. He’s gone from doing dialysis 6hrs a day 5 days a week, to living a much normal life.

Not sure if its been mentioned, on Dericks IG live story of Jilly making sushi, Jillymuffin looks rather preggo to me...

I do want to mention: signing up as an organ donor is wonderful, but it's your next of kin/power of attorney who make the final determination. Make sure that you not only check the box but tell anyone who might be the one making that decision what you want!

I've been listed as an organ donor since I first got a state ID (if I can't use it, someone else may as well!) and I've been very clear with my husband, parents, and siblings that if I'm gone, pass on what they can to help someone else.

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Wait, really? I’ve always thought that giving up organs you no longer need to save someone’s life is the ultimate mitzvah. I haven’t talked to a rabbi about it or anything.

What denomination are you? As I understand it, the main issues people have with organ donation are (A) desecrating a dead body, and (B) removing organs while the heart is still beating. But I'm Orthodox, so YMMV.

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Such happy kitties!!

I’m not sure what religion @KeshetParparNesicha practices, but pretty much every major religion in the US allows for donation. Anyone interested can check here to see what their religion lists as acceptable. 

(Of course not every religion or denomination will be listed. If anyone here is interested in donation, but also concerned about religious beliefs then I’d suggest they speak with a trusted religious figure before making a decision.) 

1 hour ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

do want to mention: signing up as an organ donor is wonderful, but it's your next of kin/power of attorney who make the final determination. Make sure that you not only check the box but tell anyone who might be the one making that decision what you want!

If you do not have a living will, you should.  Someone should be making these final decisions for you if you cannot.... even if .... whatever.

3 hours ago, kiwi said:

Not sure if its been mentioned, on Dericks IG live story of Jilly making sushi, Jillymuffin looks rather preggo to me...

Jill... making sushi?

Oh, this cannot be good.  ?

Meh, the pictures probably won't be good, but then 1) I've never made sushi myself, so mine would probably not look too appetizing either, and 2) at least you can't put a can of cream mushroom soup or whatever it is she puts into every recipe into sushi. 

Or can she? :kitty-shifty:

Just now, DillyDally said:

Meh, the pictures probably won't be good, but then 1) I've never made sushi myself, so mine would probably not look too appetizing either, and 2) at least you can't put a can of cream mushroom soup or whatever it is she puts into every recipe into sushi. 

Or can she? :kitty-shifty:

She probably marinated the fish in it who are we kidding? ???

I've had the organ donor box checked on my driver's license my whole adult life, but I just realized that may not be enough now that I'm living in Germany, so I just filled out an organ donation card here.  Husband also knows my wishes.  Thanks FJ for inspiring me to do that!

You know what’s even better for keeping kids alive? Not using dangerous car seat “hacks.”

(But that mug is kind of hysterical. I’d absolutely drink out of a mug like that, even though I can only have Decaf. :pb_lol:)

In the Netherlands, starting in 2020, everyone who is 18+ will receive a letter that asks them to choose their preferred donor option (there are basically four options: yes donor (and then you can specifiy what you want to donate); no donor; i let family decide; I choose 1 specific person to decide for me). If you then don't make a choice, you will automatically be registered as a donor. However, you still always have the option to change this. 
People advocated for this system because there weren't enough registered donors, and because there were a lot of people who indicated that they were not registered as a donor not because they didn't want to be a donor but simply because they didn't want to go through all the "hassle" of registering. (I registered when I turned 18, it took me all of 5 minutes. It really isn't a hassle). So instead of a "no, unless otherwise indicated" donor system, we will be getting a "yes, unless otherwise indicated" donor system. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived