IGNORED

Dillards 71: YAAAAAY

Coconut Flan

I attended a conference at Disney World in January. It was my first time in the parks in 20 years. I was traveling solo and managed to get a seven dwarves fast pass at the last minute. It worth going once with a fast pass, but I don’t think I would wait in the standby line for it, and really would prefer to ride thunder mountain several times in a row. 

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

A couple years ago my parents found spices in our spice cabinet that were labeled by my grandpa. He passed away  in 1997 :shifty-kitty:

My friend once found food in his parents pantry that expired in the 90:s. They had moved twice. He keeps it at his house now. :)

15 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

My friend once found food in his parents pantry that expired in the 90:s. They had moved twice. He keeps it at his house now. :)

Is your friend related to me?

@Alisamer, my youngest daughter and went to Disney World in late January/early February this year to celebrate our birthdays.  We could not get Fast Passes for the Avatar ride in Animal Kingdom and there was no way we'd have done it otherwise.  My daughter planned everything out and we got Fast Passes for most everything else including a  meet and greet with Mickey in Magic Kingdom.  Unfortunately, Toy Story Land (or whatever it's called) was not open yet and so we could not ride Slinky Dog Dash.  My oldest daughter, her husband and their two little girls were there a couple of weeks ago and they did the things we did not including Slinky Dog Dash and Avatar.  There are a few rides that the younger granddaughter is too short for though.  I'm totally ready to go back!

@mpheels, maybe we were there at the same time!

We have a family tradition of not attending our own funerals. Several of us have already donated our bodies to science, others are planning to. The various schools and agencies cremate you when they are done and send a box of ashes to you in about 3 years.

we have our daughter’s ashes in a cookie jar made for us by her high school art teacher. When my sisters house burned down, I rescued her baby’s cremains and my mom’s cremains. For a while we could hold a family reunion in my bedroom!  Its been a few years, its funny now. 

I want to be scattered near the house in the Adirondacks where I was raised til I was 9. Our son wants to go to a body farm. 

The body farm is my husband's plan. :) It's soooo fascinating!

I'd donate my body to science, but imagine the poor med student who gets my cadaver:  no uterus, no ovaries, no appendix, no gall bladder, no breasts (other than the post-mastectomy implants), scleroderma patches, missing knee cartilage, and about a dozen other scars. At least I still have my own teeth... LOL

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I'd donate my body to science, but imagine the poor med student who gets my cadaver:  no uterus, no ovaries, no appendix, no gall bladder, no breasts (other than the post-mastectomy implants), scleroderma patches, missing knee cartilage, and about a dozen other scars. At least I still have my own teeth... LOL

They aren't all med students! I did a cadaver study as an undergrad and we got some medical history, but we also pulled out a HUGE tumor and put it in a jar. No idea if that was how she died or not.  They need all kinds of bodies!

Oh, I know (I was pre-med), but I was just using that as an example.  hahahah

Cool on the tumor! My university added a cadaver lab, but I was gone before it got used. I was SO bummed!

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Alisamer, my youngest daughter and went to Disney World in late January/early February this year to celebrate our birthdays.  We could not get Fast Passes for the Avatar ride in Animal Kingdom and there was no way we'd have done it otherwise.  My daughter planned everything out and we got Fast Passes for most everything else including a  meet and greet with Mickey in Magic Kingdom.  Unfortunately, Toy Story Land (or whatever it's called) was not open yet and so we could not ride Slinky Dog Dash.  My oldest daughter, her husband and their two little girls were there a couple of weeks ago and they did the things we did not including Slinky Dog Dash and Avatar.  There are a few rides that the younger granddaughter is too short for though.  I'm totally ready to go back!

@mpheels, maybe we were there at the same time!

I waited in line forever for the Avatar ride. I wouldn’t wait that long to go on a second time, I don’t think. But it was amazing. Truly one of the best rides at Disney.

The ride simulates riding a Banshee and you straddle the seat. Though the ride also vibrates, which made my friend and I giggle. We determined that this ride was designed by only men, or they didn’t listen to women on the team (or women thought it was funny/made the ride more fun and didn’t say anything). I could ask an imagineer I know but that might be awkward.

43 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

“Excuse me, Professor. The appendix is supposed to be there, right? Did I cut in the right place? Can I get another cadaver? This one is missing several organs.”

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Alisamer, my youngest daughter and went to Disney World in late January/early February this year to celebrate our birthdays.  We could not get Fast Passes for the Avatar ride in Animal Kingdom and there was no way we'd have done it otherwise.  

Ooh, great time to go. We got to do the Avatar ride during the annual pass preview (this required scheduling a whole trip only a few weeks out and within 10 minutes of getting the email notification - and the weekend times were already gone by then!). It is AMAZING. Exactly the sort of ride Disney was missing, and completely immersive. Currently the best most advanced attraction on property, IMO, though I'm betting Star Wars will have something to beat it. But yeah - it took us over 25 minutes to walk through the shortest route of the standby line with no one in it, just to see the atmosphere. That line must be insane. It's truly amazing though - i wouldn't wait 4 hours for it, but I'd be willing to wait an hour and I don't wait more than 20 minutes for anything else. 

Have you all read the story in Nat Geo about the 87 year old woman who donated her body to be a “ living cadaver”it is amazing, she worked with them for 15 years organizing it. 

She had many missing parts, she wanted medical students to get to know what disease looked like.  I would love to do this. 

https://www.livescience.com/64326-frozen-cadaver-27000-slices.html

4 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

They aren't all med students! I did a cadaver study as an undergrad and we got some medical history, but we also pulled out a HUGE tumor and put it in a jar. No idea if that was how she died or not.  They need all kinds of bodies!

We found one with a "kiss me" tatoo beyond his beltline :DDuring our anatomy/dissection course...

I've said harvest what you can (except the eyes- as bad as my vision is, it would be cruel to give them to someone hoping to see) and burn the rest. I'd want the pin from my women's club dropped in, and my cremains buried in the same country church cemetery where my Dad is, my Mom will be someday, my grandparents are, my great aunt and uncle are, and where I know a lot of people.

@Audrey2,  I have crappy vision as well, but I will be an eye donor.  They just want your corneas for transplantation purposes.  My aunt had a corneal transplant a few years ago due to having Fuchs dystrophy.  You can still donate your corneas and help someone who faces blindness as my would have if she'd not gotten new corneas.  Transplanting the eyeball itself is not yet possible as they'd have to sever the optic nerve.  

On the topic of this thread drift, I just read an awesome book by Caitlin Doughty, called From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death. She's a woman who worked in a crematorium traveling the world to explore the different traditions surrounding death and burial, and the body farm is the focus on one of her chapters. It's so cool! I highly recommend this book to anyone in my euroamercan bubble, because I think our culture is really weird about death. We ignore it, basically, don't want to interact with it on a personal level. It's so different from every other culture, and so different from even fifty years ago, we've lost touch with our own mortality, I think. That's just my opinion, but I found that book to be really fascinating and eye-opening. She also has a Youtube channel, check it out!

I wanted to recommend a book too, Stiff by Mary Roach. It is all about cadavers and what happens to them. She goes to medical labs and talks about the history of different kinds of scientific research. She visits body farms which, at the time of the book, were relatively new and rare. It's been a while since I have read it but its so fascinating.

12 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

If it's something you want to do and/or are comfortable with, do it! The students will not be sad. 

Each semester we were assigned a new body, and the one I learned the most from was a female in her 30's with a history of ovarian cancer that had metastasized. The chemo port was still in, there were extensive tumors everywhere, and I lost count of how many times I had to walk out of the lab to get it together. She was a reminder that life is fragile and she could just as easily be me.  But also, seeing a disease process from the inside out like that was invaluable. 

Our lab also had an elderly married couple that was kept together, always, and eventually cremated together. That one was sweet. 

15 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Is your friend related to me?

Or me?? 

My son was at my moms about 2 years ago and she said "We played in the snow and I made him some of that Spanish cocoa." 
Confused - I asked what she meant. She pulled out the container of cocoa we bought when we were in Spain in 1992. It expired in 1996. She said "Well - I still drink it - it's fine." 
The most amazing thing was - she MOVED it. She packed it up and moved it to a new house! 

(along with the ashtrays they had from the early 70s - even though neither of them ever smoked and they weren't fancy ones - just boring plastic ones - those damn things survived at LEAST 6 moves. I said "Can we throw them out now?" They said no - they didn't want to have to deal with it right then.) 

Jill has posted the chickenetti recipe on her blog, a few people have commented about the Velveeta and the cream of chicken soup on Instagram.

19 hours ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

Will you post about how #besthubbyever brought it home to you, complete with open mouth selfies?

He is the BEST Husband ever!   But I already drank all the milk so no selfies (Never took one and I plan to keep it that way)

After my husband died I thought I would be alone forever and was fine with that.   Then Mr. Moon came in to my life.   He was going through a divorce from a woman who ran around and didn't appreciate him.   (She then married a guy who beat the crap out of her a few times and she is still having to work at age 70)      I would have loved to have sent her a Thank you note for dumping him so that I could have him!

3 hours ago, artdecades said:

I wanted to recommend a book too, Stiff by Mary Roach. It is all about cadavers and what happens to them. She goes to medical labs and talks about the history of different kinds of scientific research. She visits body farms which, at the time of the book, were relatively new and rare. It's been a while since I have read it but its so fascinating.

I read that book years ago and LOVED it. Very informative for my curious mind. 

21 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

A couple years ago my parents found spices in our spice cabinet that were labeled by my grandpa. He passed away  in 1997 :shifty-kitty:

That may be taking "waste not, want not" a bit too far  :giggle:

This is how the prop people for movies and museums get their stuff... from people like us who keepImeanhoard our old stuff. Eventually our kids sell it to the people who put in on a shelf in a museum.

About cadavers: Mr. Four said he never wanted to donate his body to a medical school because when he was in medical school the students would take out the livers and play football with them and he thought it disrespectful.

They remove the entire eye when corneas are donated. I've assisted at a few enucleations. It gets a little weird when the eye starts rolling around in its socket... they have to cut all six eye muscles, so it does some weird gyrations while they're doing it.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived