IGNORED

Dillards 71: YAAAAAY

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Derick giving them a box is probably the best thing he has done for them.

I remember the Christmas we got our first PC, my little cousin had just turned 1 and when my dad had brought down the huge box for her to play with, she was so excited and played with it for hours. He kept the box for years and other kids in the family used it as forts and houses, it lasted longer than our PC did. 

When we bought our table from Ikea it came in a huge, but very flat, box. #besthusbandever cut it up, made a door and windows in it and built a fort under the stairs. Miniway decorated it with stickers and drawings. Lots of fun. 

He has a box now that he made into a rocket ship/boat and he plays in it all the time. Why do we even buy toys?

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baby brother used to be put in a box (with cushioning) on the couch next to miniAlice so that Mom could get chores done.... MiniAlice was a very reliable big sister in retrospect.

Imagine how shitty of a father and husband Derdick must be for Jill to think him allowing her to use trash/recycling is worthy of praise. If this is praise worthy what’s regular Derick like?

I’m so glad this prompted a discussion of cats and boxes. I was about to share that whenever I get a package in the mail I leave the box out for a few days for the cats to enjoy. And this really highlights one of the many similarities between cats and children. Love of boxes. Adorable. Tiny tyrants that take over your home.

Edit: I signed up to be an organ donor when I was a teen and first got my learners’ Permit. As for signing up for things if you have minority genetics, how does having a genetic disorder affect this kind of thing?

I am an organ donor and in the marrow registry. If you have ANY minority genetics, please consider going on the registry. 

Hoarders: I'll watch an episode or 2 and get hit with the urge to throw things out. We have a bunch of stuff in our garage since we got rid of our china cabinet and curio cabinets when we moved in this place and it makes me itchy. 

22 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I am an organ donor and in the marrow registry. If you have ANY minority genetics, please consider going on the registry. 

Hoarders: I'll watch an episode or 2 and get hit with the urge to throw things out. We have a bunch of stuff in our garage since we got rid of our china cabinet and curio cabinets when we moved in this place and it makes me itchy. 

My father recently passed away and my mother is in a nursing home with dementia. WE are currently cleaning out their house (with basement) for keeping, donation, garbage and finally selling...... Every Sunday we are there and end up with 5-10 garbage bags. My mom always kept a lot of stuff but in her illness she was keeping EVERY single scrap of everything. We found about 1000 coffee stirrers from a local coffee place..... Ugh. I get overwhelmed and can only clean an hour or two at a time. I clean fast, no thinking about it. 

On 12/19/2018 at 12:12 AM, BlackberryGirl said:

Have you all read the story in Nat Geo about the 87 year old woman who donated her body to be a “ living cadaver”it is amazing, she worked with them for 15 years organizing it. 

She had many missing parts, she wanted medical students to get to know what disease looked like.  I would love to do this. 

https://www.livescience.com/64326-frozen-cadaver-27000-slices.html

I forgot to mention I was reading this late last night and was just so fascinated and lost in the story that I forgot why I was reading it and ended up wondering why I was reading about slicing up a corpse in the middle of the night.

It was my son's wish to be an organ donor,and he was.Someone has his liver,and two people have his kidneys.

I want to be an organ donor,but I don't know if I would be eligible because I'm a cancer(breast) survivor.

8 minutes ago, melon said:

It was my son's wish to be an organ donor,and he was.Someone has his liver,and two people have his kidneys.

I want to be an organ donor,but I don't know if I would be eligible because I'm a cancer(breast) survivor.

Cancer survivors can be organ donors! Every decision is case by case, and depends on type of cancer and time in remission, as well as the needs of potential recipients. At the very least, you can donate skin, corneas, bone, veins, and heart valves. 

In general, don’t get caught up in what you can/can’t donate. Register as a donor, and make sure your loved ones know you want to donate anything/everything possible. The transplant team will figure it out from there.

23 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@VelociRapture, that ad from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center about living donor liver transplants always makes me think of this one baby who was in the NICU at the same time as my daughter.  She was a term baby and therefore looked huge next to the premies who make up most of the population of the NICU.  This little girl was beautiful, but she was the same color as the yellow bins were they kept each baby's supplies.  She went home and possibly to another hospital for evaluation and then was re-admitted to the NICU.  Then she was greenish brown.  This baby was born with biliary atresia and required a liver transplant to survive.  She was finally accepted at Pittsburgh to await a liver.  This baby's mother asked one of the neonatologists about living donor transplants, but that was not being done yet.  The baby died before she could get a liver 31 years ago.

This is what my son was born with and we had the same reaction in the NICU. Everyone wanted to know what such a big baby was doing next to all the preemies and he was orangey green as well. Thankfully the treatment has come a long way and hes doing wonderful while he waits for his liver. My heart breaks for that family ?

3 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Edit: I signed up to be an organ donor when I was a teen and first got my learners’ Permit. As for signing up for things if you have minority genetics, how does having a genetic disorder affect this kind of thing?

I tried to sign up to be a bone marrow donor and I couldn't do it because I still had pins and rods from my scoliosis surgery--so sadly, I don't think you'll be able to either. :(

If ongoing neck or back pain requiring medical treatment, or have herniated, bulging or slipped discs, scoliosis, or have rods/pins still present in the back or hip as a result of back surgery.

https://www.giftoflife.org/page/content/conditions-search

Uh oh... I signed up to be a bone marrow donor, but I have scoliosis. It's really mild, but now I'm wondering if this disqualifies me.

13 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Uh oh... I signed up to be a bone marrow donor, but I have scoliosis. It's really mild, but now I'm wondering if this disqualifies me.

As I understand it, it has to be severe enough to present an issue with obtaining the marrow from the back of the hips. It seems like the real issue is the rods, which can be displaced from the pressure of procedure and potential issues from autographs that spinal fusion patients receive. So I think it's more of a concern if it's serious enough to have had surgery.

Here we go, it's okay if it's mild scoliosis:

A history of current herniated or slipped disc, severe/chronic pain, and of back surgery mandates PBSC donation only. Individuals with scoliosis are suitable if no functional impairment is detected.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281057281_Suitability_Criteria_for_Adult_Related_Donors_A_Consensus_Statement_from_the_Worldwide_Network_for_Blood_and_Marrow_Transplantation_Standing_Committee_on_Donor_Issues

17 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I tried to sign up to be a bone marrow donor and I couldn't do it because I still had pins and rods from my scoliosis surgery--so sadly, I don't think you'll be able to either. :(

https://www.giftoflife.org/page/content/conditions-search

Well that’s good to know, thanks! That makes sense. I think I’d have even more issues since there’s issues with the hardware from my fusion.

3 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Well that’s good to know, thanks! That makes sense. I think I’d have even more issues since there’s issues with the hardware from my fusion.

I was bummed when I found that out, but I tell myself that I have 25 years until I'm too old to donate, and who knows what'll happen with medical technology in the meantime? And I'm still an organ and tissue donor. ?

14 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Jill doing a holiday craft project for her kids but spending the whole post thanking Derick for letting her use his old shoebox has the same energy as Jill posting to thank Derick for putting a candle on the table while she feeds the kids, bathes the kids, and puts the kids to sleep.

This feels like a sad but all too true statement of their relationship, or at least the one they put on social media.

Back to cats - the house I lived in during HS we had an enclosed porch that our cats loved. We also kept the recycling bin in there (with no cover). We couldn't find one of our cats at meal time one day...turns out she was hanging out in the recycling bin because the last thing put in there was a stack of newspapers. This cat was obsessed with newspapers. We used to make her little tents in the living room where she would run into the paper and then walk around with it spread across her back like it was a hot fashion statement.  I wish there were camera phones then. I'd love to look at videos of that now. 

Re: Marrow/organ donation....fuck my autoimmune disease. It's taken a lot from me so far but it's also taken a lot of my chances at being a donor. Maybe I could still donate skin or eyes...,it's not a conversation I'd have with my doctors before but I will do now because I haven't thought of those things specically. Always learning something new on here. ❤️

19 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Moo (yes we have a deaf cat named Moo) was inside an amazon box inside another box. He was cleaning up the basement and moved the box in the box and in doing so startled the cat causing her to, well cat, and we found her. 

When we were moving the packers came and we put the cats in the bathroom, and then when we let them all out we couldn't find Phoebe. I spent like an hour sobbing and panicking and then Mama Peaches picked up an air mattress box that was supposed to be empty and it was really heavy and there she was. 

Couldn't agree more about organ donation and stem cell or bone marrow donation.  I have always been willing to do both and it is reflected on my DL.  You never know when you might need something yourself.  In July of this year, I was diagnosed with primary myelodysplasia, a form of bone marrow cancer.  Right now I am stable with no treatment needed and a favorable prognosis, but who knows what the future holds?  Probably can't be a donor now with this illness, but I signed up to participate in research programs hopefully to help someone else in the future.   Why not?

I registered to be a whole body donor and then after reading here did a little more digging.  It was through Science Care and when I checked it out more, it appears to be a fee-based organization, which turns me off.  I want to donate to a reputable, nonprofit organization.  Now I am not sure what to do.  There are no such places in my state, so I'd have to pay for them to take me (the transport, anyway).  I am so thrifty, that actually bothers me :blush: Really, I just want to find a reputable place. 

7 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I registered to be a whole body donor and then after reading here did a little more digging.  It was through Science Care and when I checked it out more, it appears to be a fee-based organization, which turns me off.  I want to donate to a reputable, nonprofit organization.  Now I am not sure what to do.  There are no such places in my state, so I'd have to pay for them to take me (the transport, anyway).  I am so thrifty, that actually bothers me :blush: Really, I just want to find a reputable place. 

I'm donating my body to science as well. I went with my alma mater, which has a medical school and a body bequeathal program. I'd suggest checking out universities in your area. 

On 12/21/2018 at 5:10 AM, Peaches-n-Beans said:

When we were moving the packers came and we put the cats in the bathroom, and then when we let them all out we couldn't find Phoebe. I spent like an hour sobbing and panicking and then Mama Peaches picked up an air mattress box that was supposed to be empty and it was really heavy and there she was. 

When we moved out of one house we "lost" one of the cats. We searched high and low for her. The next day she showed up INSIDE the house. She never got out, just found herself a very good hiding place. We've learned...we put them in the big dog crate we have with their litter box, bowls and a blanket. They get freaked out and hide in the litter box and usually have to have a bath when we arrive at our destination. 

Girl kitty STILL hides when some one she doesn't know comes in the house. Her current favorite hiding place is behind the dryer. 

one of my cats is very timid.  everything freaks her out!  somewhere along the way she ripped a hole in the bottom of material covering my box spring.  now whenever life is too much for her that is where i can find her.   She could probably use some sort of kitty xanex....

On 12/22/2018 at 11:07 AM, Satan'sFortress said:

The school I went to would get direct donations, and usually the hearse would bring the bodies directly from funeral homes. The school covered the costs of transportation, I believe within a 100 mile radius. If you live near a medical school or even just larger college, they may have similar programs if it's something you'd really like to do. 

I am an organ donor and I have the organ donor sign on my drivers license. My mom hates it because she thinks if I were ever to get into a life or death situation the doctors would not make a good effort to save my life ? Thanks mom for planting that seed in my head.

25 minutes ago, SillyDillys said:

I am an organ donor and I have the organ donor sign on my drivers license. My mom hates it because she thinks if I were ever to get into a life or death situation the doctors would not make a good effort to save my life ? Thanks mom for planting that seed in my head.

OMG my BFF's mother actually yelled at me for this, being like "You can't click yes, you have children! They won't try to save you!"

39 minutes ago, SillyDillys said:

13 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

OMG my BFF's mother actually yelled at me for this, being like "You can't click yes, you have children! They won't try to save you!"

You both likely know this already, but for those who are reading who don’t:

This is completely and totally false. The level of care you receive will not be dependent on your status as an organ donor. When you are admitted to a Hospital during an emergency the only thing the Doctors and Nurses are concerned about is saving your life.  Donation does not become an option until you are already dead*.

For more Organ Donation myth busting, head on over here!

*The only caveat to this is in the case of living donors, like my brother. From my limited experience there’s a rigorous screening process that includes multiple physical evaluations/tests, bloodwork, and psychological screening. This is to ensure that only willing participants fully capable of understanding and consenting to major elective surgery are chosen as donors. The living donor has separate medical professionals, or at least a separate social worker/psychologist to act as their advocate, to ensure that their wellbeing is being considered at all times during the process. The transplant team doesn’t only care about the person receiving the organ - they also care deeply about the living donor and making sure they get through the process as smoothly as possible. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived