IGNORED

Maxwell 26: The Toothbrush Thing Is Real

HerNameIsBuffy

It appears they made the turkey gravy with milk or cream.  It will be a very light tan if done that way.  It's how my mother made it.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

So lots and lots of meat.  And pie,

You say this like there's something wrong with it! lol Midwestern American Thanksgiving without the disgusting soup green bean casserole. Pass the pie and the can of whipped "cream" please? What? Oh, ok, pass the Cool Whip then.

[joking]

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

It appears they made the turkey gravy with milk or cream.  It will be a very light tan if done that way.  It's how my mother made it.

This is how my grandma made it too. I do it like that sometimes. It does darken up some as it cooks but it stays pretty light, lighter than a typical turkey gravy. 

All the hair that must be falling into that gravy will surely turn it darker ?

This is the hill I will die on with the Maxwells. Please, for the love of God (also known as “Steve” in their household), put your hair up when preparing food for others!! 

13 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

In other news - I've got nothing. 

DSC_2855.thumb.jpg.a2f0d9100284d6dfbfab32f7853cd455.jpg

Ya know, if I was a Maxwell and Nathan's kids got up to "perform" at yet another family function, I'd have to excuse myself to the prayer closet. 

Because, COME ON!! For some reason it is bugging me today - those kids are always standing in the center of everything and doing some sort of "presentation."  

The Of Nathans need to start their own road show. 

10 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

Ya know, if I was a Maxwell and Nathan's kids got up to "perform" at yet another family function, I'd have to excuse myself to the prayer closet. 

Because, COME ON!! For some reason it is bugging me today - those kids are always standing in the center of everything and doing some sort of "presentation."  

I suspect the goal is to get the kids used to performing so they are comfortable being in the spotlight while they share testimonies with strangers...

7 hours ago, HereticHick said:

"Nathan and Melanie’s family were with a widow and friends, and some stopped in afterward."

So the widow was not a friend too? Really Sarah, was it necessary to point out that woman's manless status? 

Or was she just some random stranger who recently lost her husband, and the Maxwells decided to inflict themselves upon her?

If I was the "widow" in this scenario and knew I was being referred to in that manner, I would be offended. It's like the Maxwells are making a show of themselves: "see, we visit widows, like it says in the Bible!" Ugh.

7 hours ago, fundiefan said:

I thought that was very weird at first, but then I remembered it's Sarah Maxwell writing. There is a spin on every. damn. thing. they. say. and. do. Everything.

Makes 'em look good - or they think it makes them look good - to be giving of their time to the poor widow. 

In reality, they probably had dinner with Melanie's family and an aunt or other relative or family friend also joined the family for dinner; one who just happens to have lost her spouse. 

Yesss.  There has got to be something in the Bible about doing nice things quietly without exprecting others to praise you for it, right?  Because that’s exactly why she did that.  It basically said “oh they weren’t here because they were doing something truly giving by spending time with a widow”.  I’d guess she would argue that she said that to show a godly example or something - to show people how they should be on thanksgiving.   Fortunately the Maxwells spent theirs with another widow (GiGi).   But I think it was really to get some praise. 

45 minutes ago, OhNoNike said:

Yesss.  There has got to be something in the Bible about doing nice things quietly without exprecting others to praise you for it, right?  

Yes.  Yes, there is. I even used the King James Version so Steve would believe it  

Matthew 6 King James Version (KJV)

6 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

1 hour ago, usmcmom said:

It does look irritating that they're doing those presentations, but that's maybe their only opportunity and attempt at "normal."  Kids in real schools do possibly a winter pageant and a spring pageant or play plus a dance or music recital.  They get a chance to shine plus gain the experience in front of people.  If they went to a real church, they'd have a Christmas play or choral performance.  So it looks like Nathan and Melanie may be trying to do what they can along those lines.

Turkey, how often do you eat it?  I know people who only cook turkey once or twice a year, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  My family loves turkey, so around Thanksgiving I look for sales and try to find small turkeys and also load up on turkey breasts.  You can also buy just turkey legs, so I will throw a breast into my 6 quart Nesco roaster along with a couple of legs to satisfy my love for dark meat.  I also baste my turkey in cherry wine, a tradition my Dad started.  It gives your gravy a nice dark color.  

11 hours ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

Turkey, how often do you eat it?  I know people who only cook turkey once or twice a year, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  My family loves turkey, so around Thanksgiving I look for sales and try to find small turkeys and also load up on turkey breasts.  You can also buy just turkey legs, so I will throw a breast into my 6 quart Nesco roaster along with a couple of legs to satisfy my love for dark meat.  I also baste my turkey in cherry wine, a tradition my Dad started.  It gives your gravy a nice dark color.  

Once a year at Thanksgiving. I am not really a big fan of turkey. I eat a lot of ground turkey otherwise, in place of ground beef in things like chili & spaghetti, but no big turkey. In truth, I could go without at Thanksgiving too and I only put a little bit of dark meat on my plate. 

I am a meat eater and there are no reasons behind it other than I don't actually like it. When ham is on sale, around Christmas & Easter, I will do the same with them as you do with turkeys though. Buy as much as the freezer can hold and eat it year round. 

16 hours ago, usmcmom said:

The Von Maxwell Family Drama Troop

15 hours ago, usmcmom said:

Yes.  Yes, there is. I even used the King James Version so Steve would believe it  

Matthew 6 King James Version (KJV)

6 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly. 

Why I despise those awful collect stuff no one wants and TAKE IT to the family office charity drives. No One. I mean NO ONE should have to receive charity from those who give it--it should be anonymous. I can live with collecting the stuff in a sincere way. I can live with someone leaving the car running and dropping the stuff off and saying "Merry Christmas" [or whatever the correct greeting is] and leaving. That's IT!

I'm baffled here- what temperature is their house exactly, that puffer vests are comfortable yet several people also have bare feet? And this is just the chef in me, but I shuddered to see Mary draining the hot water off those potatoes with bare feet, too. It's a burn waiting to happen.

The National Bible Bee is next weekend in San Antonio.  Some Bontragers are studying for it. I won't be surprised if John & Chelsy  go down for it. I've been wondering if Chelsy would convince any of the Maxwells to start competing in it, but we've seen no evidence of it so far.

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

The National Bible Bee is next weekend in San Antonio.  Some Bontragers are studying for it. I won't be surprised if John & Chelsy  go down for it. I've been wondering if Chelsy would convince any of the Maxwells to start competing in it, but we've seen no evidence of it so far.

I would like to see Abbie in it. But it seems even in the Bontrager house, the boys are more interested in it than the girls. I doubt the Bons expressly say it’s for boys. But I’m guessing as they grow up in such strict gender roles, they must get the idea that more feminine activities are more important than the Bible Bee. I wish a girl in one of the families would step out and beat a bunch of boys but I doubt it. Rebekah competes but she doesn’t usually place in the top three. Liz used to compete but never placed. I don’t know if she will this year.

17 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

It does look irritating that they're doing those presentations, but that's maybe their only opportunity and attempt at "normal."  Kids in real schools do possibly a winter pageant and a spring pageant or play plus a dance or music recital.  They get a chance to shine plus gain the experience in front of people.  If they went to a real church, they'd have a Christmas play or choral performance.  So it looks like Nathan and Melanie may be trying to do what they can along those lines.

I see your point and agree that it is similar to what other kids might do at church or school. 

One difference that comes to mind is that those other kids are (literally and  figuratively) sharing the spotlight with many children of different ages. They sit and watch each performance, practice in a large group, wait for their turn on stage, etc. 

I'm not blaming Nathan's kids for any of this but I think their frequent performances could lead to a desire and expectation for attention and admiratin, especially if the other cousins (at least on the Maxwell side) don't usually stand in the spotlight. I think it could lead to a sense of entitlement - they walk into a family gathering and instantly expect all eyes to be on them. 

Or I could be WAAAAAYYYY over thinking this because one of my pet peeves is children who constantly seek attention by showing off and demanding others watch and listen to them. 

They posted in early October something about "Summer Bible Bee." Not sure if that's related or not. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 1.44.43 PM.png

Maybe Bible Bee.... Be a Light Unto the World, you know.

21 hours ago, usmcmom said:

This concept is very common in more repressed, conservative circles. We’ve established that the Of Nathans are the most restricted Maxwell grandkids, and their performances, no mater how humble, are a way they can express themselves when in other ways they cannot. It amazed me how many of my super conservative friends would condemn me for posting so many selfies, but they were drumming up money to put on elaborate plays every few months.

Yet again Joseph/Elissa and John/Chelsy were not featured. Wonder if John experienced a Bontrager Thanksgiving. Bet the food was way better than typical Maxwell fare!!

On 11/26/2018 at 3:11 AM, johnhugh said:

Stevie in drag:

DB5FAE65-A580-4FD6-A7CE-A5FDB7EDBAC3.thumb.jpeg.48e30b58fc1a90c9783b08690eac26f7.jpeg

Say what you will about the Maxwells, those white socks would never be that white after walking across my floors. I don't even own white socks for that very reason. Problem solved.

3 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Say what you will about the Maxwells, those white socks would never be that white after walking across my floors. I don't even own white socks for that very reason. Problem solved.

Most people (everyone else?) do not have numerous kidults with no other pursuits to busy themselves with besides household chores and limted business endeavors, they probably clean their floors every day.

21 hours ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

I love turkey. I usually run to the co-op a day or two after Thanksgiving and again after Christmas when they've parted out all the really big turkeys that didn't sell as whole birds. I corner the market on turkey thighs, which I then vacuum pack individually and we enjoy them year 'round. This weekend two of them ended up in a huge batch of turkey vegetable soup and we'll enjoy a roast turkey thigh (not fans of the white meat here) from time to time this winter and grilled turkey thigh in the summer.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived