IGNORED

Censor the bible for your children!

cate

Look, we all know the bible is full of sex and violence and all the stuff from which fundies want to shelter their children. This mother has no problem with her kid reading about prostitutes in the bible...she just doesn't want her to know the word 'prostitute.' But 'harlot' is okay. Trufax.

A friend sent me this link. I don't think I've seen it discussed here and I've got no idea where she found it, but it made my day! http://networkedblogs.com/o0dBM

This is the blog:

newlifeonahomestead.com/2011/10/whiting-out-her-bible-not-for-young-eyes/

I have her on my google reader; showed up as a suggestion because I follow a lot of farming blogs. I remember I saw this a couple days ago and thought WTF? I must've overlooked the krazy previously.

If you look through the comments she comes across as less crazy, but maybe that's just in relation to the true crazies who believe she is blaspheming the word of God by not using, exlusively, the KJV. There is one commentator who sounds like she might fit well on this board. She is clearly a fairly fundamentalist Christian but argues that all Holy books were written by men and also believes that other religions aren't doomed to hell.

Guest Anonymous

I can sympathize with being surprised that the Veggie Tales Bible is so, um, inclusive (rather than a select collection of bible stories) - but going back in time and translation to wipe out what the "offending" words actually mean, well....no. Now the kid's going to want to know what's been whited out even more...

Edited to add - funny the KJVers argue its use based on how the meanings are safely obscured (i.e. admitting that the current translations are valid, just inappropriate for the youngsters).

Archived