IGNORED

Jinjer 45: First a Preacher then a Seminarian

Coconut Flan

To add to @VelociRapture's post on Duggar women not being able to cook storylines, I simply want to add we've seen the boys lack of kitchen mastery as storylines as well. Without looking anything up (just waiting for pup to be released) we saw Josiah have his own kitchen courtship adventure with reheating fajitas for Lauren. The brothers teach Jeremy how to make tater tot casserole in Laredo.

I don't recall anything with Joe trying to cook for Kendra, Josh / Anna and we wouldn't have seen JD kitchen courtship adventures yet. Maybe something about the boys making bread when someone was leaving and passing on the domain?

ETA: It's just a general "learning" storyline for them. Remember Jim Bob has his own speciality tuna dish involving BBQ sauce that they tout as a family favorite.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I swear to Bob I can not make brownies at all. Last weekend I was making some for a party and they went from uncooked to burnt in 2 minutes with me standing in the kitchen and resting them with a skewer. I threw them, pan and all, right in the trash. I also reminded the SO that I would never make brownies again. About 10 dollars in ingredients + a pan. 

Are you me??

My mum is an excellent cook and baker. She’s not very adventureus, she follows recepiets and it’s always great. She reads cooking magazines and likes trying new recepiets. 

What she doesn’t like is people helping her in the kitchen so I was really bad at it when I moved out. I’ve learnt through the years though and am ok now. I don’t really enjoy cooking or baking that much. I do like eating though. :)

Regarding Rouladen, I make it the way my dad says his grandma made it. Place the beef on top of a slice of bacon, spread Dijon mustard on the beef, add the pickles and carrots, roll it up, and secure with a toothpick. The bacon gets crispy when you brown the meat and it tastes so good! 

As for cooking v. baking - my husband and I can do both. We definitely have had our mess ups,  but we’re both pretty good at cooking and baking. If I had to pick, then I’d say he’s a slightly better cook and I’m a slightly better baker. 

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Regarding Rouladen, I make it the way my dad says his grandma made it. Place the beef on top of a slice of bacon, spread Dijon mustard on the beef, add the pickles and carrots, roll it up, and secure with a toothpick. The bacon gets crispy when you brown the meat and it tastes so good! 

As for cooking v. baking - my husband and I can do both. We definitely have had our mess ups,  but we’re both pretty good at cooking and baking. If I had to pick, then I’d say he’s a slightly better cook and I’m a slightly better baker. 

I love rouladen recipes as no 2 are the same.

9 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I am one of those people who tests exactly center on thise EvI tests. So, for example, the thought of an evening out with a group is a lot less inviting to me than PJs and Netflix, but once I’m at a function, I always have a good time and thirst for more. I’m equally happy in a group or alone, at home or traveling. I’m probably a rare bird. After retirement I stayed home for 2 years before I realized that despite social media relationships and books I needed more. We had just moved for my husband’s job and I person knew not a soul. I need up close people in my life and working with others to feel fulfilled. My health took a huge hit when I retired. 

I'm like that too. I really enjoy quiet nights on the sofa, and I'll often pick that over going out. But when my husband convinces me to go, I almost always have a great time and I genuinely enjoy being with large groups of people. I'm surrounded by hundreds of people at work every day, and while it can sometimes be overwhelming, I generally enjoy it. I occasionally like getting a drink with colleagues after work, or going to some kind of event, but most evenings I'm glad for a quiet night to recharge after so much socializing at work.

When I moved to the US and it took me 3 months to find a job, I was MISERABLE at home. In hindsight, I was probably in the beginning stages of a depression. So I don't think I'll ever voluntarily stay home or work from home. Luckily, I got much better as soon as I started working again. :)

I used to 'test' (i use that word lightly) as extremely introverted. Now I still test introverted but feel much happier and more fulfilled while interacting with groups of people, kind of like@jillyo. I tend towards depression/melancholy and just feel so much happier and more motivated in groups, though I would still probably describe myself as an introvert because I can spend lots of time alone, travel alone, etc and still feel good. I just want to see friends along the way [emoji5]

I haven't done those tests in a while, but I think I'm an ambivert. I like people, I like parties, but I definitely prefer parties with people I know well (or at least go to parties accompanied by people I know well, and then it becomes less daunting to meet new people because then there's a "node" in the social network via my existing friends), and I absolutely need to have "introvert days" on my own or just with my boyfriend after big social events. I love going out to events, hosting parties, and making new friends, but I equally love solitude. I can go from chatting with tons of new business contacts at a cocktail party to hiking through a forest completely alone and be utterly in my element in both situations. 

19 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

So why are they presented this way? My theory is that part of it is that it makes them more relatable to their audience. That, plus it makes for a somewhat interesting episode in which we learn something new about the newest cast member and we’re introduced to their family a bit more. 

Jill's blog doesn't suggest that she's really made strides in the cooking/baking department, unfortunately. I actually think that she enjoys cooking, and I wish somebody would give her even a super basic cook book to get her started. It could be a great hobby for her and a way that she feels she is somehow differentiated from her siblings which is the sort of positive reinforcement she needs.

I cannot cook or bake. It’s just not my thing.  My husband does the cooking in our home. I’ve tried, it’s a disaster everytime.

I can cook and bake equally well but I need recipes for both. I’m not good enough yet where I can just mix things up and have it turn out. 

I will be interested to see if they show JD in a can’t cook situation. I remember one of the girls showing a younger one how to make bread. She said that JD had taught her. He’s capable of homemade bread he can make other things too. 

1 hour ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

Has this been discussed here yet? Pretty sure this is the school Jeremy is/was attending.

https://www.christianpost.com/church-ministries/john-macarthur-to-students-questioning-accreditation-problems-keep-your-mouth-shut.html

Yep. That’s the school Jeremy is attending:

I love baking, but I rarely follow recipes specifically for things I've made a couple of times. Some recipes don't work and need minor tweaks (my gingerbread recipe needed a couple of changes), and once I knew my way around pretty well I learned what can easily be adjusted and what other changes will do to the finished product. I mostly learned by running out of ingredients and figuring out how I could substitute or finding a similar recipe with slightly different ingredients and seeing how it turned out. 

The Duggar girls remind me of a girl I once worked with- she was twenty, a fundie-light Jewish follower of Jesus (I guess that's a thing?) who was in her first relationship, and since they had already been together for a year, clearly they were perfect for each other. She wanted to get married by the time she was 22, have a multitude of babies, and stay at home to raise them.

Yet, she did not even know how to make macaroni and cheese out of a box. COME ON. THERE'S INSTRUCTIONS ON THE SIDE. RIGHT FRICKIN THERE. I don't think all women should know how to cook by any means, but if you plan on being a perfect little housewife and raising a brood of children, you need to feed them! With the Duggar women, I honestly don't know if Michelle has failed to raise them with the skills that their cult deems appropriate for women, or if TLC just wants to make them more relatable. Either way, it's foolish.

I'm still friends with this girl on Facebook. Several years later (past her self-prescribed expiration date of 22) she's still fundie, but single and pursuing a career in education. Wonder if she can cook yet.

I can’t believe Jinger STILL hasn’t chopped off her hair. I was so sure she would be now. Hair falls out so often after pregnancy that I know a lot of women who cut their hair shorter a few months after they gave birth. Also because it’s just easier to wash, dry, and do when it’s shorter. Plus little baby hands can’t pull short hair as easily as long hair. Alyssa and Josie both cut their hair after they got married. I knew Jinger would wear pants and become more stylish. That didn’t surprise me much. But her hair still being long is surprising me. My guess is that Jeremy likes it long :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can’t believe Jinger STILL hasn’t chopped off her hair. I was so sure she would be now. Hair falls out so often after pregnancy that I know a lot of women who cut their hair shorter a few months after they gave birth. Also because it’s just easier to wash, dry, and do when it’s shorter. Plus little baby hands can’t pull short hair as easily as long hair. Alyssa and Josie both cut their hair after they got married. I knew Jinger would wear pants and become more stylish. That didn’t surprise me much. But her hair still being long is surprising me. My guess is that Jeremy likes it long :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

Maybe she likes it long.  I've always worn mine long and never occurred to me to cut it when I had kids.

Scrunchies exist for when I need it out of the way.

You lot are reminding me of this:

I prefer my hair long. My mom thinks I look better with short hair. I've always hated short hair. She gave me that Dorthy Hamil cut when I was 6 or so and I still have a visceral reaction to photos from that era. I remember crying at school, and thinking everyone would think I was a boy. I know lots of moms with long hair. 

17 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Maybe she likes it long.  I've always worn mine long and never occurred to me to cut it when I had kids.

Scrunchies exist for when I need it out of the way.

It’s one of those things that are pushed on fundie girls their entire lives. Just like skirts and modesty. It’s like a way of rebelling. Jill got her nose pierced. Jinger wears pants. I just figured she would want to try something new with her hair now since her dad isn’t her headship anymore (he has always said he likes long curly hair). 

BTW I’ve had hair down to my butt. It’s gotten caught in my car door multiple times. I prefer to keep it shoulder length (or just past) now because it’s just easier.  I’m not saying Jinger should cut her hair. I just thought she would cut it shoulder length like Josie’s. 

I look forward to being an old woman sitting on my porch with waist-length silver hair. My mother, whose hair I am extremely jealous of (long, ultra-thick, with natural big, loose curls) was bothered by her sisters/mother to cut it shorter, because they came from an era where adult woman wouldn't have hair past their shoulders. For some reason, what had been the norm for centuries (long hair on women) got obliterated within a few short decades within the 20th century. I'm glad we've got more choice now, and I won't have to worry about anyone bothering me about my hair length when I'm older.

What does irk me, however, is the lack of choice presented to the Duggar daughters. Their options are long and curly, long and wavy, or long and straight. Even a feminine long bob is out of the question. It's ridiculous. There is more than one way to be feminine, and one does not even need to be feminine at all, if they so choose.

Long hair: You don't have to be a fundie to have a husband who strongly prefers long hair.  I have known many, MANY women who keep long hair because 'my husband doesn't want me to cut it.'  I knew a woman with thick, grey hair that she wore in a braid to her waist.  I had a pixie cut at the time and she often told me how much she loved my hair and how tired she was of her own.  But she 'couldn't' cut it it because her husband (who was the farthest thing from a fundie -- he was an atheist and slightly to the left of Bernie Sanders) didn't want her to cut it.  I think most women do want to look nice for their partners.   I'm a little the opposite myself, I have a ton of thick hair and have worn it short most of my adult life.  It was short when my husband and I met and it was short for most of the almost 33 years we've been married.  He likes it short - says it looks good on me.  Then, about 4 years ago I just got a bug to grow it out.  My husband wasn't too keen - admittedly, during the early stages of growing out from a pixie it did look pretty rough.  But I stuck with it and it is now almost to my waist.  It's more trouble to wash and dry than it was when it was short and a LOT more trouble to dye, but I really like it and am not ready to cut it just yet.  My husband likes it too, now that it's stabilized, but I know that he'll be perfectly fine with me cutting it whenever I decide to do so.  What he doesn't want me to do is let it go grey... but we're on the same page about that, so it's ok.

I'm all for women having the hair they want. If they choose to please their husbands, fine, if they choose to please themselves, fine... my husband loves long hair, BUT: while I had longish hair when I met him, my hair was in an "upward" as in getting shorter phase.

I went into nursing school with very long hair, and pinning that all up under a cap was tiring, and difficult to keep neat, as I have very fly-away hair. By senior year, I had a shoulder length bob that could be pulled back into a stubby pony tail.

By the time I met Mr. Four, it was a chin length bob. After we got married, it was more of a boy cut and has remained so, because any more I'm all about the ease of it. My family's women tend to get a bit horse-faced as we grow older, and that wasn't a good look for me with long hair... so out it went.

Going back to the introvert - extrovert discussion. I recently had a very negative experience gettting involved in my community and trying to make friends. I feel like a large part of the conflict was my trying to be friends with a lot of folks who are strong extroverts. I am not at all, but I wanted to be involved and try to meet people after living here for six years and not making any friends. It all kind of fell apart and now I have been pushed out and all the extroverts are friends together. It’s been incredibly painful and it’s made me question if friendship is even something I can find and maintain in my life. I’m mostly putting this out there because I wonder if people have experience with ‘mixed friendships’. Can introverts and extroverts really be friends? Should I try to find other introverts somehow, folks who would understand me better? I’ve only had one ‘real’ friend in adulthood and she lives in another country and I haven’t seen her in over five years. I know this isn’t the place to ask for life advice, but the Duggars aren’t breeding and we all seem a bit bored, so why the hell not? 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived