IGNORED

Dillards 66: Appropriate Spaces for Inappropriate People

Georgiana

We're not dissing Chef Boy-ar-dee canned ravioli are we?  
My family has a great story of how I shamed them once when I was a kid and we went to a super nice restaurant while on vacation in Florida, and I wouldn't eat the ravioli 'cause it didn't look like the CBAD stuff.  I've grown to love the "real" stuff, but I still love the occasional canned treat as well.
But, I've already shamed myself here by admitting I like canned potatoes.
I tried canned potatoes after your recommendation here on FJ. Dried them and pan fried them. I hated it! They had a weird mushy salty graininess that I could not get over! it was an adventure in canned food haha

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, sleepy_doggos said:

I tried canned potatoes after your recommendation here on FJ. Dried them and pan fried them. I hated it! They had a weird mushy salty graininess that I could not get over! it was an adventure in canned food haha

I can my own potatoes and they are fantastic in soups/stews. 

I also live in a place that cannot produce its own food in quantities to support the number of people who live here. Frozen produce is more common than canned, though, for store-bought foods. 

I bought Spaghetti'Os with Meatballs today. 4 cans to be exact. And frozen pizza and burritos. Because with everything I have going on, cooking is not an option this week. Hopefully my kiddos don't die and will forgive me! 

Not to beat the canned food shaming to death, but I want to make something clear. There are two kinds of poor:

1) Living paycheck to paycheck:  your rent & utilities are covered and there’s money leftover for food.  You may even be able to afford other things.  You pray or hope that no unexpected expenses come up because you sure as heck can’t cover those.  

2)  Going to the library to apply for food stamps because you’re homeless and at the library you can get both free computer (with internet!) and out of the elements.  You’re bouncing couch to couch or room to roomand can never seem to get caught up because this country’s social safety net throws you a few bucks and expects you to pick yourself up by some bootstraps when you’re barefoot. 

Ofwreck & fam and 99% of FJ members are not #2.  They can afford frozen veggies.

I can *afford* frozen veggies. I can't STAND them. They are disgusting. (to me)

I have a pantry full of CANNED VEGGIES, even though I can *afford* to buy fresh/organic/whatever.

Sometimes, it's a personal preference.

And every.single.time yall get on here slamming JillyMuffin for using CANNED food, I'm gonna go to bat for that (even though that spaghetti recipe looked horrid). I use canned food. I love canned food. It's what I was raised on. 

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Irony as opposed to shame, IMHO. These are adult women, and in Jill's case, a women who has been living on her own for quite some time. She has choices, options, resources and a whole clock full of time working in her favor, yet... Let's face it, they are a family of 4 with no active income and a leader who is law school ( a luxury by any stretch of the imagination for a man in his situation). Jill has every single advantage possible, yet her decisions leave many scratching their heads, considering their cult and their message verbalized. Why is it shaming to hold a person accountable to their own voiced standards???

No one here is shaming a single, working, low income mom with limited resources, especially in terms of time, for using the open and dump method of cooking.

I like to cook and consider myself a decent and creative savory cook, but I, at times,  use canned tomatoes, kidney beans, chickpeas-

kidney beans yes - but you if you slice shallots and apple cider vinegar it's not really canned is it????

39 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

I bought Spaghetti'Os with Meatballs today. 4 cans to be exact. And frozen pizza and burritos. Because with everything I have going on, cooking is not an option this week. Hopefully my kiddos don't die and will forgive me! 

i made chicken and artichokes 

i think i have had spaghetti o's once in my life. 

I use a mixture of canned, frozen and fresh foods. I prefer canned green beans over frozen but frozen corn over canned. I’m never going to judge someone for eating canned food. Especially when there’s so much else that needs addressed.

I bought pizza rolls this weekend because I'm an adult and I can.

Also my roommate and I do Hello Fresh because I can not come up with dinner ideas on my own, plus I don't have to go shopping. 

42 minutes ago, PurpleCats said:

Not to beat the canned food shaming to death, but I want to make something clear. There are two kinds of poor:

1) Living paycheck to paycheck:  your rent & utilities are covered and there’s money leftover for food.  You may even be able to afford other things.  You pray or hope that no unexpected expenses come up because you sure as heck can’t cover those.  

2)  Going to the library to apply for food stamps because you’re homeless and at the library you can get both free computer (with internet!) and out of the elements.  You’re bouncing couch to couch or room to roomand can never seem to get caught up because this country’s social safety net throws you a few bucks and expects you to pick yourself up by some bootstraps when you’re barefoot. 

Ofwreck & fam and 99% of FJ members are not #2.  They can afford frozen veggies.

Plenty of people eat canned foods because that's what they grew up eating and/or they're not aware of the debates surrounding canned vs. frozen vegetables. I'm sure you don't intend it this way, but to assume that only the desperately poor eat canned foods is classist.

5 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

New post on her instagram

Regardless of how you feel about canned vs frozen vs fresh food, I have a hard time imagining her recipes would find a wide audience online.

Serious question: Have any of you ever actively sought out recipe's like hers online? If so, why and how often? 

And by "like hers," I mean cheap ingredients, quick prep time, heavy on canned soups and/or Velveeta, and low on vegetables or spices. 

I'm genuinely asking because I have never sought out any recipe even remotely resembling something like that. Generally, if I'm going to dump a bunch of canned stuff together it is a recipe I've made up on the spot to use up what's in the cabinets. I know my tastes aren't universal, and I'm definitely not judging cooking with canned goods, I just want to know if anyone ever googles "canned soup enchilada recipes" or something like that. 

1 minute ago, heysmilinstrange said:

Plenty of people eat canned foods because that's what they grew up eating and/or they're not aware of the debates surrounding canned vs. frozen vegetables. I'm sure you don't intend it this way, but to assume that only the desperately poor eat canned foods is classist.

And just because you CAN afford something, doesn't mean it's the best call for you or even a smart decision.  And it CERTAINLY doesn't mean you have any burden to spend your money that way.  This is a HUGE problem with American culture right now: we insist that everyone do everything they possibly can afford to do instead of encouraging them to think critically about spending money and spend only when truly worth the expense. I would 100% rather Jill save money by using canned goods than put her family at risk by spending every last dime so that there's nothing set away for emergencies, grifting off others to live a lifestyle they cannot afford, or going the Jill Rod route and spending money on trendy things to look good on social media so that there's not enough left over to provide necessities for your kids.  Canned foods are often a good, solid option and can be used in a healthy diet.  That's a GREAT area for people to choose to NOT spend and save some money so that their families can be more secure.  No one should be shamed for choosing to save money in such a reasonable fashion.  

I like canned veggies.  I like canned goods.  They are a better use of my money because they fit my lifestyle better. It would be absolutely idiotic for me to pay even $0.01 more for something that I would like less, be more likely to waste, and be inconvenienced by when there isn't a major benefit to doing so.  This is an ideal place for me to save money in my budget, and I have that in common with many Americans.  I understand that it might not be for some people because they prefer to spend their money differently, but for me and many people, this makes a great deal of budgetary sense.    

If Jill wants to use canned food, there's nothing wrong with that in itself.  There's EVERYTHING wrong about HOW she uses it, but nothing wrong about the fact that she uses it.  

When I google a recipe, I generally just google "enchiladas."

What pops up from there is anyone's guess. Although I'd never eat her "enchilada" recipe, I'm sure some people would like it. And again - I'm not going to slam ANYONE for what they choose to eat - unless, of course, they're feeding their children rat poison. But that's different.

Watching Sam getting dizzy and Israel flailing about was giving me a heart attack!  I’m too old for this lol

1 minute ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

Regardless of how you feel about canned vs frozen vs fresh food, I have a hard time imagining her recipes would find a wide audience online.

Serious question: Have any of you ever actively sought out recipe's like hers online? If so, why and how often? 

And by "like hers," I mean cheap ingredients, quick prep time, heavy on canned soups and/or Velveeta, and low on vegetables or spices. 

I'm genuinely asking because I have never sought out any recipe even remotely resembling something like that. Generally, if I'm going to dump a bunch of canned stuff together it is a recipe I've made up on the spot to use up what's in the cabinets. I know my tastes aren't universal, and I'm definitely not judging cooking with canned goods, I just want to know if anyone ever googles "canned soup enchilada recipes" or something like that. 

For me, that's "comfort food" and no...if I'm using those ingredients, 99% of the time it's to recreate something from childhood.  But sometimes I do want recipes that can be made from mainly shelf-stable foods because my ability to access temperature controlled options will be limited.  

More frequently, I'm looking for something I can just dump in a crock pot and let sit, and canned goods can be really good for those recipes as there is no prep work and they essentially come pre-measured.  My favorite crockpot pot roast cooks in a gravy that has a "Cream of Crap" soup base with French Onion dip mix and brown gravy mix.  It's definitely not something you would want to serve regularly, but it really hits the spot for me after a long distance run where I really need that sodium back.  And, you know, a lot of it is about quantity and serving size :)   And I totally get that it might sound like a nutritional nightmare, but that sort of stuff cooked in a crock pot with veggies and meat has a much higher nutritional payoff than other high sodium delivery systems like potato chips, running chews and goos (which are all like salt and sugar!), or just salt in your mouth (yes, they often hand out salt packets during marathons).  And it tastes good for such low effort.  

Jill's recipes though are next level bad.  And y'all got to realize, my actual favorite dish uses BOTH Cheez Whiz AND Velveeta, I think Cream of Chicken soup, Minute rice, and frozen broccoli.  This is the stuff I crave, so I'm by no means above using any of the ingredients Jill uses.  I very much am against using it the way she uses it though and in the combinations she does and to the people she presumably serves it to.

What I am saying is that I SHOULD be Jill's target audience, but I don't find her recipes appealing in the slightest.  So I can't imagine who her audience actually is besides humpers who are willing to try anything to form a connection with her.

I eat canned, frozen and fresh (even from the garden). Today I hangry bought fancy chickpea salad from the grocery store due to a flat tire. I took what I didn't shovel down home, mixed it with sodium free chickpeas and navy beans, lemon, a touch more feta and fresh basil stretched the overdressed mess because my place is full of half packed boxes. I have eggs enough, canned tomatoes, fresh veggies and sauce enough to smack out shakshuka to continue eating out my fridge and cabinets.

Have nutrition goals, do what you need to do to hit them and carry on munching. 

27 minutes ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

Raises hand. I admit I did, especially when my parents are I'll. I had to do it just last week. I never would cook any recipe Jill posts, simply because other recipies are much more appealing.

Pointing out that someone is perfectly financially capable of buying non-canned food isn’t classist.   Pointing out that there are people that are destitutely poor and eating whatever is available is different than “I grew up on canned green beans” isn’t classist.  Calm your downvote fingers.  

9 minutes ago, PurpleCats said:

Pointing out that someone is perfectly financially capable of buying non-canned food isn’t classist.   Pointing out that there are people that are destitutely poor and eating whatever is available is different than “I grew up on canned green beans” isn’t classist.  Calm your downvote fingers.  

So how do we classify being told to calm downvote fingers based on your views?

Personally, I often choose canned because the organic version is more affordable and readily available that way.....so double down on THAT  ! ?

31 minutes ago, PurpleCats said:

Pointing out that someone is perfectly financially capable of buying non-canned food isn’t classist.

But it is unnecessary. And ridiculous. I could shop at Whole Paycheck is I wanted to. I make enough money. I shop at Aldi. Should I be banned from there because I'm not poor? It's my fucking business where I shop and what I eat and that holds true for everybody else. Including Jill. I don't post my everyday food though, that's the difference. I post none of my food actually.

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

This is a HUGE problem with American culture right now: we insist that everyone do everything they possibly can afford to do instead of encouraging them to think critically about spending money and spend only when truly worth the expense.

It's not just culture, it's our economy. Our economy is based on consumption. We consume something like 71% of the GDP, and it's probably pretty unsustainable, and it relies on increased consumption in order to keep it growing. The directive to "keep shopping" after 9/11 wasn't about showing foreign governments that we weren't afraid, it was to keep Wall Street from plummeting. So our culture has to be this conspicuous consumerism (which I personally despise) in order to keep the economy growing.  It's not an easy problem. 

(However, the US is something like $45 trillion in debt. So I encourage everyone to shop small businesses, which will help us in the long term.) 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived