IGNORED

Dillards 66: Appropriate Spaces for Inappropriate People

Georgiana

One advantage of canned chickpeas is the canning liquid which is known as aquifaba.  For vegans and vegetarians wanting to cut down on their use of eggs, aquifaba can be whipped like egg whites.  

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer to avoid canned vegetables and soups if at all possible. My biggest weaknesses are canned pumpkin, canned tomato sauce/puree, and canned beans.  All are simply because of how much time they save. If I start from dried beans and fresh tomatoes, chili would be a 2 day affair. But give me the cans and I can have a delicious dinner ready in an hour or 2 (the longer the simmer the better the flavor.)  And a can of black beans is super handy to round out a vegetarian meal.

I despise canned vegetables. We were very poor and almost exclusively ate canned growing up.  I think I was 22 before I realized I could  buy frozen and they taste so much better.

18 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

One advantage of canned chickpeas is the canning liquid which is known as aquifaba.  For vegans and vegetarians wanting to cut down on their use of eggs, aquifaba can be whipped like egg whites.  

Yeah, you can even make meringues with it! 

So regarding the chicken enchiladas recipe- it has four cans of cream of whatever soup. 4 is a lot. I have a chicken enchilada recipe and it's a roux made with a few tbs butter, same amt. of flour, then you add chicken broth, green chilis, sour cream, and shredded cheese, along with the shredded chicken and tortillas. I think most of us would agree that a homemade sauce comes out the nutritional winner. But while a roux might come easy to some, I didn't master making my own gravy or sauces until I hit my 30's. And I never cooked for a family of 20 ( Jill's current knowledge base). Again, I think the issue here is that she posts these recipes like she's pioneer woman or Ina. If you're going to have a damn food blog you best post impressive stuff because food blogging is huge! I have a select few bloggers that I visit when looking for someone new. She needs to just stop already until she learns to cook well. I think, given the comments (or lack thereof) that she gets when she posts these train wrecks, shows that no one is following her for her recipes. If you want to share you expertise with the world, then be a damn expert.

2 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

If you're going to have a damn food blog

See? That's the problem. Jill doesn't know WHAT KIND of blog she even has. She just knows she's supposed to post stuff to keep the Dullard name 'relevant' in this season of life that they're in.

Can people not just blog anymore? I don't know why blogs have to be "brands" instead of just "I have a blog, these are things I like." So I don't care if she posts shitty recipes (which we can snark on) or tips on being a mom, or just pictures of her kids, or whatever. 

Her recipes are shit and she doesn't know shit about shit, but she's got the right to post what she likes. 

Just now, Maggie Mae said:

Her recipes are shit and she doesn't know shit about shit, but she's got the right to post what she likes. 

And I have the right not to like what she likes.

Thank you to those who mentioned eating what you grew up with. I will also add that were you live also affects what you eat. I am right outside one of the biggest AG growing regions in CA (and the nation). I get a weekly CSA veggie box and an every other week fruit box- It's local, organic and affordable. It also guarantees that we eat lots of veggies/fruit, as I hate to waste food/money. It is far easier for me to eat fresh-

This discussion is so relevant to me right now, I just went through my kitchen with my roommate to get rid of all the expired canned goods and gross shit the old roommates left behind... there's lots of canned tomatoes destined to become sauce, and beans that will become chili... water chestnuts and bamboo shoots for stir fry.... I love me some canned goods. I just don't like canned green/soft vegetables. Personal preference. I just don't know if it's mommy-blogger material. Then again, the Pioneer Woman has a recipe for 7-can-soup, and she has a TV show and everything, so who am I to judge?

14 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

And I have the right not to like what she likes.

So do I. I just don't understand "her blog needs to be focused on _____" when it's her blog. If she stopped posting gross recipes, what would we talk about? 

55 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

How does one ever first decide to whip up chickpea liquid? It would never ever occur to me. Just wondering...

20 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

So do I. I just don't understand "her blog needs to be focused on _____" when it's her blog. If she stopped posting gross recipes, what would we talk about? 

How about the delicious-looking, somewhat healthy food that we would like to try making? That would be nice. No problem with cans even! Like you say though, its her blog and if she wants to be a cringe-inducing mommy blogger failure, have at it. Too bad she couldn't have a real career.

3 minutes ago, Markie said:

How does one ever first decide to whip up chickpea liquid? It would never ever occur to me. Just wondering...

Sit down and let me tell you the story of Victor the Viscous Substance Whipper, who traveled around the world with a whisk whipping up every gloppy-looking fluid he found, just to see what would happen.

1 minute ago, SilverBeach said:

How about the delicious-looking, somewhat healthy food that we would like to try making? That would be nice. Like you say though, its her blog and if she wants to be a cringe-inducing mommy blogger failure, have at it. Too bad she couldn't have a real career.

I agree...what her parents have done is make her dependent, unsure of herself and so open for criticism.

If you're going to vocally/verbally proclaim your way as better, so much so that you are paid to shill on TV (despite claiming that you do not watch TV), you had better have the goods to back up your claims, either that or be prepared for the negative comments that will surely come your way.

12 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Oh please. I know this is normally saved for the other Jill, but don't tempt her or Derick to be awful. It's like saying Candy Man in the mirror, you say what would we talk about? And they will do something horrible.

Y'all made me go pull out an old cookbook.  Not sure if this is still a thing but back in the 80s (and I'm sure before that and maybe after) church ladies would get together and put out a church cookbook with their recipes.  I still have at least one from a church I grew up in in the midwest and I was curious about the preponderance of canned soup in the recipes.  (I've lived in California for over 25 years now and don't ever cook anything that could be called a casserole or hot dish, although I do eat canned soup ...mostly tomato but sometimes clam chowder... as soup sometimes and use canned beans and tomatoes for chili).

Anyway, in the main dishes sections, one section is 'meat, seafood, and poultry' but it's almost all beef and pork, mostly not with canned soup in it but a lot of ketchup or barbecue sauces.  The other main dish section is 'egg, cheese, pasta, and casseroles' and nearly every recipe there has a 'cream of' soup involved.   (Also, half of the desserts involved Cool Whip... shudder...although I'm not sure what my mom would have done for food storage containers without Cool Whip.) ?

44 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Derick...and his Twitter rants. How uncomfortable her son's look in many pics. Her shitty beliefs. 

40 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Derick...and his Twitter rants. How uncomfortable her son's look in many pics. Her shitty beliefs. 

Yeah, but that makes me feel sad. Her food is at least amusingly terrible. Trying to make jokes about uneducated unemployed bigoted homophobic former Walmart employees is just not amusing, more "I'm sad about the state of the world" and "why are people so mean" 

I start thinking maybe Jill is making comfort food, try to give her some benefit of the doubt, then I remember the pictures she posted of Israel screaming.  Can't give her any credit for comfort.

Let's See-

Midwife

Fashion Blog

Cooking Blog

Cute Kid/Family Blog

Accountant

Missionary

Ministir

Reality TV Stars

Student

Lots of swings, mostly all misses!

48 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Yeah, but that makes me feel sad. Her food is at least amusingly terrible. Trying to make jokes about uneducated unemployed bigoted homophobic former Walmart employees is just not amusing, more "I'm sad about the state of the world" and "why are people so mean" 

it makes me sad too, but also angry. She deserves better than the life she is living, especially with Derick. I doubt she even knows what she's missing out on. 

11 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

It’s all the same (cream of) crap, different day.

Next thread title? Actually it sums Jill's life up.

Just watched the video Jill posted from when she brought Wreck dinner at school. Izzy says towards the end that he likes the school. ? Ok he was talking about the snacks they had there but it still made me sad. 

Side note while catching up on another food debate here a commerical came on for Oprah's new frozen pizza line. ?

8 hours ago, PurpleCats said:

Ofwreck & fam and 99% of FJ members are not #2.  They can afford frozen veggies.

This is a side note, since your main point was about the Dillard family's budget, but I would say it's hard to quantify what members of FJ are and aren't. We have posters who have experienced homelessness, needing food stamps, and other difficulties. It would be hard to estimate a number. I'm not sure I could even estimate ages and countries of our posters accurately. 

(Personal, possibly irrelevant story under spoiler.)

Spoiler

And I could only have wished for a chance to apply online for food stamps when we needed them. We had to wait in line for over 5 hours, because my state didn't accept online applications back then, they were breaking in a new computer system, and the economy had just tanked and everybody needed help at the same time. (Actually, my kind husband waited alone for the first 3 hours, then I joined him with our 9 month old.)

WIC was much easier to apply for and renew, but SNAP was much easier to use. Aside from the renewal every 6 months that required new copies of everything from our birth certificates and car titles to our latest utility bills. Thankfully we had managed to hang onto our little house with only unemployment benefits and some family help to pay the bills.

We probably would have been eligible for some SNAP benefits for longer than we received them, but we were doing better once the economy improved, and that paperwork just flattened me for 3 to 4 weeks twice a year.

So, maybe 99% of FJers are doing okay financially, but you never know who is in what situation money-wise. Especially on the internet, where all we have to judge by is a person's words. (Unless you think that financial problems = poor writing skills, but I don't think that's what you meant.)

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived