IGNORED

JinJer & Felicity 44: The Glossy Veneer is Slipping

Jellybean

The point was the Duggars are all about having that thrifty image and it's funny when they fly in premium cabins. Their thrifty asses would be in basic economy if they stuck to it. :pb_lol:

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts on their recent instagrams:

1) Of course they would go to a Cubs game/Jeremy is wearing a Cubs shirt. They're assholes, plus can't possibly be around too many scary scary black people at a White Sox game. Wonder how they coped with being around so many drunk people.

2) My (pastor) father-in-law was at the game today (with my Cubs fan uncle-in-law, who is usually an otherwise good person despite being a Cubs fan) and from the looks of it they weren't sitting too far away from JinJer. Wish I'd known sooner; would've loved to have my FIL talk to JinJer so they could hear what it sounds like to be Christian without being hateful.

So last week San Antonio and this week Chicago. Does Jeremy ever actually work???? Wonder if they're filming in Chicago?

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

So last week San Antonio and this week Chicago. Does Jeremy ever actually work???? Wonder if they're filming in Chicago?

He probably proselytizes whilst travelling and considers it time well spent.

2 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

I've never understood this.  When I was in highschool my mom's fundy lite Church was raising money to send some kids my age to Scotland on a missionary trip.  I was baffled...they have churches and Christians in Scotland...why do their souls need saving specifically by some teenagers from the Chicago burbs?

I did a semester abroad in Europe and because my dad paid for it I didn't need to worry about anyone else's eternal soul.  But I guess going on someone else's dime and handing out tracts is another way to go.

Let me save Jeremy some time:  Chicago, like Scotland, has churches and plenty of Christians of all flavors.  If one wants to learn about Jesus there are plenty of locals more than capable of evangelizing...trust me.  

We're good.  Feel free to stay in Texas.

3 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

If someone proselytized to me on a plane, I'd tell them exactly where to go and how to get there.

22 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

If someone proselytized to me on a plane, I'd tell them exactly where to go and how to get there.

This never happens to me.  Sometimes it's good to have the world's most unapproachable demeanor.

But if it did my response would be the same as to the JW and Mormons that come to the door every now and then.  "I'm Catholic" makes them stop speaking immediately and bolt down the porch away from my house.  They don't stick around, probably afraid I'll show them my cloven hooves.

@HerNameIsBuffyI tell them I'm Episcopalian, and last time they didn't know what that was. Our priest tells them he's an Episcopal priest, and it doesn't stop them. They continue to try to convert him. Think of the extra points you'd get in heaven for that conversion. :smellie_lol:

I've actually had good experiences with LDS missionaries. It's hard to imagine them actually stop speaking and run off by being told someone believes a different religion. The countries where they are most successful tend to be Catholic countries, so I don't think they're scared of Catholics.

I know less about the JWs, except that people tend to confuse them with the LDS often, that their door to door people are local rather than being missionaries away from home, and often they don't want to be knocking on doors but have to lest they be shunned by their family and friends (and from what I understand, a lot of LDS missionaries don't like knocking on doors either). There was a JW woman who used to knock on our door every so often for years, and other than handing out some tracts she barely mentioned religious stuff. She just liked to pet our dog, who she knew by name.

Just now, Rachel333 said:

It's hard to imagine them actually stop speaking and run off by being told someone believes a different religion.

The running was hyperbole, as was reference to my cloven feet...but I've done this for years and they absolutely do stop and just go on their way.

I don't smile at them, nor do I say anything else so there is no abusive verbiage....they just leave and others in my family have had the same experience.  

Maybe it's a look we get when being highly annoyed at having to answer to the door to unsolicited nonsense - but they have never pressed the issue after that.

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

The running was hyperbole, as was reference to my cloven feet...but I've done this for years and they absolutely do stop and just go on their way.

I don't smile at them, nor do I say anything else so there is no abusive verbiage....they just leave and others in my family have had the same experience.  

Maybe it's a look we get when being highly annoyed at having to answer to the door to unsolicited nonsense - but they have never pressed the issue after that.

I figured you were exaggerating for comic effect. :pb_lol:

They probably just realized you weren't going to be interested in what they had to say, so leaving seems like the appropriate thing to do. That's nice that they just drop the issue, actually; I've encountered missionaries from other churches who wouldn't do that.

My problem is that I actually really do like talking to LDS missionaries about their church. :pb_lol: I've actually had some good, mutually respectful conversations with them even though I was clear that I disagreed with them. I even had one tell me that she thought I knew more about the church than she did.

I've also almost solely talked to female missionaries; I wouldn't be surprised if the men were less respectful.

1 minute ago, Rachel333 said:

I've also almost solely talked to female missionaries; I wouldn't be surprised if the men were less respectful.

They have almost always been men in my experience.  And tbf they wouldn't have a lot of time to keep talking as I would have no problem shutting the door on them if they kept talking.

I don't enjoy talking to them :) .

In fact I consider myself extremely polite for not lecturing them on how rude and intrusive I think it is to impose on people, who have indicated no interest, in their homes.

Slightly related, but last week I saw a piece of paper on the floor in my foyer.  I picked it up and opened the door and there was another one stuck under the door....tracts from the local reform church a few blocks away.  I was livid.  These people came by door to door and littered in my house.

I wanted to take them and go over there, drop them on the floor of their vestibule, and tell them if they want to send hard copy spam they should do it properly and pay the mailing rates so I could toss it with the rest of the junk mail.  However, I was far too lazy so I just threw them out and bitched about it to a few lucky souls.

Seriously, do not come to my house with this stuff.  I have the internet, if I want information I'll ask for it.

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I don't enjoy talking to them :) .

I got that. ;) 

And yes, most people don't really like unannounced people showing up at their door. (I've seen people complain that millenials don't answer the door if they're not expecting it, which... yeah? :pb_lol:) Other than the JW woman, I can't think of many instances of missionaries showing up at our door. Most of the time I've encountered missionaries it has been out in a public space.

I think LDS missionaries don't bother me too much because it is so clear what they're doing. There's not really any room to misinterpret their intentions when they introduce themselves as missionaries, and it's easy to just not talk to them if you're not interested at all. The type I dislike the most are the ones who try to build up a relationship first only because they want to convert you. I've seen a lot of Christians do that with international students in particular and it's infuriating. They make the students think they just want to be friends but only really care about converting them. I've talked to some people who were really hurt when the Christians they thought were their friends ignored them once it was clear there was no chance they would convert.

1 minute ago, Rachel333 said:

I can't think of many instances of missionaries showing up at our door. Most of the time I've encountered missionaries it has been out in a public space.

I think LDS missionaries don't bother me too much because it is so clear what they're doing. There's not really any room to misinterpret their intentions when they introduce themselves as missionaries, and it's easy to just not talk to them if you're not interested at all.

That's a really good point, I do appreciate the honesty about what they are doing.  I've known people through my fundy-lite family members who did the faux friendship thing and I dislike that so much more.  Not because I was sucked in, but I felt bad for politely rebuffing such "nice people."  It's emotionally manipulative and preys on the lonely.

That was when I was younger.  I've since lost the guilt for politely declining interaction.  

Public places that kind of thing doesn't bother me at all.  They can approach, I can ignore...just as if they were passing out flyers for a politician or white sale.  

The JW missionaries haven't knocked on my door in years, but I can tell them I'd be dead if not for some complete blood exchanges when I was born.  

"Friendship" evangelism is absolutely deceptive and manipulate. I definitely prefer the direct approach of LDS and JWs. I do abhor prostelitization attempts of all sorts. Every single person who prostilatizses would bitterly resent being prostilatized to. Funny how that works, isn't it? 

Just now, Pecansforeveryone said:

Every single person who prostilatizses would bitterly resent being prostilatized to. Funny how that works, isn't it? 

That's not totally true in my experience. For one thing, they often love the challenge!

Yes, some people do love the challenge. I agree that LDS are more receptive to an open conversation than many evangelicals. Many, many would resent the prostelization attempts. 

7 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Is there something significant about the watch or cufflink here? I don't get it.

I think the cuff link has the seminary logo on it.

Jeremy strikes me as the type to stare at himself in the mirror each morning and tell himself how awesome he is.

20 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I was baffled...they have churches and Christians in Scotland...why do their souls need saving specifically by some teenagers from the Chicago burbs?

One of the most amusing "missionaries" I've seen is the one who wanted money so the family go to the mission field of Atlanta, GA. Like there are no fundie churches in GA. ?I don't think they got a lot of support.

Ever since we put up a ton of no trespassing signs people have stopped trying to come by my house to save our heathen souls. If anyone did though, I think the first question I would ask is if they are a Trump supporter, they are bound to say yes in this area and I could tell them that morally I couldn't ever attend a church that condoned violated so many biblical laws. 

On 9/28/2018 at 11:58 PM, spatulahandeddancer said:

My thoughts on their recent instagrams:

1) Of course they would go to a Cubs game/Jeremy is wearing a Cubs shirt. They're assholes, plus can't possibly be around too many scary scary black people at a White Sox game. Wonder how they coped with being around so many drunk people. 

2) My (pastor) father-in-law was at the game today (with my Cubs fan uncle-in-law, who is usually an otherwise good person despite being a Cubs fan) and from the looks of it they weren't sitting too far away from JinJer. Wish I'd known sooner; would've loved to have my FIL talk to JinJer so they could hear what it sounds like to be Christian without being hateful.

There are lots of black Cubs fans and white Sox fans! I would vomit if I was at the game and saw that asshole Jeremy. And they saw lots of us black folks just being in Chicago, should have visited the DuSable Museum while here and tried to expand their little minds. What did they come here for anyway? Ugh.

20 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I've seen people complain that millenials don't answer the door if they're not expecting it

Long way from a millennial here, and I don't either.

I've always found the door to door missionaries polite, easy enough to offset or not answer after peeping through and seeing the outfit. 

The one time it happened to me in a hotel I was startled and almost livid over it. Clearly, I didn't live there and could not join their church, had a hotel Bible in the drawer and did not want to have a conversation. I wonder if there are number goals or something or if Boston was just particularly intense about souls right after the terror attack.

This little baby does a great job keeping the missionaries away. (She's a tad reactive to the doorbell).

20180712_120606.jpg

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived