IGNORED

JinJer & Felicity 44: The Glossy Veneer is Slipping

Jellybean

I live in gated complex so no missionaries. 

I don't talk about my faith much at all. If someone asks (like a friend of mine), I'll talk. Otherwise, nope. I try to live what I believe because actions speak louder than words. (1 Corinthians 13). Maybe you can call that "relationship evangelization" but I won't deliberately try to make friends with someone just to evangelize them. The friends I'm talking about are long standing friends, who've I've known for awhile. They might ask something because I've mentioned going to church or they see my bible on the coffee table. I don't hide what I believe, I just refuse to go bother people about it. I mean, if YOU bring it up, I'll talk. If you don't, I don't say a word about it. 

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

Maybe you can call that "relationship evangelization" but I won't deliberately try to make friends with someone just to evangelize them.

You are just living your life authentically....that's the opposite of relationship evangelization where people deliberately target people with the goal of conversion cloaked in friendship.

41 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

You are just living your life authentically....that's the opposite of relationship evangelization where people deliberately target people with the goal of conversion cloaked in friendship.

I can't do that...I'm an introvert who hates social situations. I'm happy by myself. Pretty much, my only social interaction is online. I don't "read" people very well, so face to face is hard for me. 

21 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I've seen people complain that millenials don't answer the door if they're not expecting it, which... yeah? :pb_lol:

Yeah, if it's someone I know, they'll text me something like "hey I'm on my way, be there in five." Or if I ordered pizza, I'll answer. Or if the say "this is the police." But otherwise no, because it's probably someone trying to convert me and I'm in my pajamas and I just don't feel like talking face to face with a stranger. I'm baffled that people would want to answer th door unexpectedly. 

I opened my door yesterday to find a boy, maybe 12 or so, selling cookies and crackers as a fundraiser for some program I've never heard of.  It was not a school fundraiser because I asked and he said no.  $8 for a box of Nilla wafers.  I'm not sure, it might have been something fishy, but I paid $8 for them.

I can still remember as a child, hitting the ground, and hiding from the JW's. Now I just pretend not to be home. :P

The neighborhood we live in constantly gets hit with missionaries, sales people, weird meat trucks, and of course kids selling stuff. Now our kids grew up here so I know just about everyone and will almost always buy something from a kid. But those other folks drive me CRAZY. One time, a guy was trying to sell us a bottle of cleaner for $40. It looked like Mr. Clean, with a different label on it. My husband had a beer in his hand and when we said no to the cleaner, the guy lowered his voice and asked if we wanted any weed. Husband was like ha ha I wish but no thanks! 

19 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

My husband had a beer in his hand and when we said no to the cleaner, the guy lowered his voice and asked if we wanted any weed. Husband was like ha ha I wish but no thanks! 

Man! I live in the wrong neighborhood!!! No one has ever knocked on my door to ask me if I want to buy weed!!!!! I'm so jealous!!! 

3 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

There are lots of black Cubs fans and white Sox fans! I would vomit if I was at the game and saw that asshole Jeremy. And they saw lots of us black folks just being in Chicago, should have visited the DuSable Museum while here and tried to expand their little minds. What did they come here for anyway? Ugh.

Oh I know! (white Sox fan here :)). But I could 100% see them not wanting to go to the South Side at all because they don't actually know the city/bother to learn anything besides the stereotypes.  I wish they would think to visit the DuSable Museum! Any maybe the Field Museum too, so they could learn a thing or two about evolution...

6 hours ago, formergothardite said:

One of the most amusing "missionaries" I've seen is the one who wanted money so the family go to the mission field of Atlanta, GA. Like there are no fundie churches in GA. ?I don't think they got a lot of support.

Ever since we put up a ton of no trespassing signs people have stopped trying to come by my house to save our heathen souls. If anyone did though, I think the first question I would ask is if they are a Trump supporter, they are bound to say yes in this area and I could tell them that morally I couldn't ever attend a church that condoned violated so many biblical laws. 

Last night a Mennonite lady came to my door. Not the greatest time for anyone to try to push beliefs on me. I said No Thanks and closed the door.

On 9/27/2018 at 7:53 PM, VelociRapture said:

For anyone needing a new ear worm, here’s the latest craze among toddlers:

(Spoiler: I actually somehow love this song, probably because it’s the first song my daughter has gotten obsessed over and because she finds it so funny when I do the dance moves.)

Miniway sings this all the time. My favourite was when he did ”baby fish” when we were at the sushi restaurant. :goldfish:

On 9/29/2018 at 12:06 AM, SassyPants said:

It doesn't fit the rhetoric of "buy used and save the difference" though-

He can sleep anywhere and has never, not once, experienced jet lag. Last weekend we flew from Heathrow to LAX and he sleep for 9 of the 12 hours- and it was a day flight. It is maddening!

I don’t know your husband but I hate him a tiny bit. Still remember how tired I was during our flight to Australia last year. I couldn’t sleep at all. 

3 hours ago, BernRul said:

Yeah, if it's someone I know, they'll text me something like "hey I'm on my way, be there in five." Or if I ordered pizza, I'll answer. Or if the say "this is the police." But otherwise no, because it's probably someone trying to convert me and I'm in my pajamas and I just don't feel like talking face to face with a stranger. I'm baffled that people would want to answer th door unexpectedly. 

I once answered the door at my in law’s house in pyjama pants and the guy asked if my parents were home. I was almost 30. And no, I did not want to know about Jesus. 

1 hour ago, Shadoewolf said:

Jeremy was officiating a wedding for friends in Chicago, that's why they were there.

20180930_162247.jpg

Is Jeremy his new headship?

7 hours ago, formergothardite said:

One of the most amusing "missionaries" I've seen is the one who wanted money so the family go to the mission field of Atlanta, GA. Like there are no fundie churches in GA. ?I don't think they got a lot of support.

Five or six years ago, I went to the library once in the summer. All over town on the drive and in the library, I was seeing teenagers and a few adults in matching t-shirts. Finally got a good look at one in the library. The front had the name of an evangelical church in Texas and the back said "(Year) Youth Mission Trip to (Name of my town + state). 

We have a high median income for the state here. We have somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 churches for a population of about 9000 and a ridiculous number of them are small evangelical or fundamentalist congregations. What on earth they thought they should take a mission trip here for is totally beyond me. Per the shirts, it was a four day event and all anyone saw them doing was hanging out in parks by themselves or wandering around downtown with empty trash bags. I'm sure that they collected donations from friends and family to travel here to do that, too. 

1 hour ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Last night a Mennonite lady came to my door. Not the greatest time for anyone to try to push beliefs on me. I said No Thanks and closed the door.

I had 2 on Friday. I opened the door, put my hand up and said "no thank you" and "good luck on your endeavors."

They were pleasant as was I-

2 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Wow I have never heard of Mennonites doing the door to door thing! I live in an area where Mennonites are really prevalent, maybe that's why.

4 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I'm eagerly awaiting the girl guides! I want cookies dammit!

Guides sell cookies now? When I was a guide we went door to door doing jobs for money. I'd rather sell cookies.

According to Instagram comments and the coffee shop they went to, it appears the wedding he officiated was in Aurora. I live one town away, it’s probably the closest I will ever get to a Duggar. (Whew)

I got nosy and looked at the brides Instagram, she looks normal. She even had wine and booze on her page so I imagine Jinger went to a wedding with booze and music. 

4 minutes ago, TeaELSee said:

in Aurora

Not too far from my neck of the woods.  I glad they didn't stop by...I hate drop ins.

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Guides sell cookies now? When I was a guide we went door to door doing jobs for money. I'd rather sell cookies.

They do! Mint ones in the Fall. Vanilla and Chocolate ones in the Spring. Although the Vanilla and Chocolate ones may be in the Fall too. That being said, I'm only interested in the mint! Still no cookies!

@nst, one of my granddaughters is a Brownie and another just "flew up" this year to Junior Girl Scouts.   The girls both love their involvement in Girl Scouting.

My most awkward "door to door" story was a when I was younger, still living with my parents.

My Mom opened the door to a bunch of JW. But her surprised when she saw that right in front of her was one of her childhood friend, who had converted to JW. Of course the guy had completly cut ties with anyone from his past when he converted, so he could not have known this was her house. (Also to add, my mother was - and is still friends with the JW brother's). From his own face, he was also shocked but clearly recognized her as well.

Needless to say it was one of the most bizarre and uneasy moment I have witnessed. He was with his teenage daughter and he awkwardly tried to introduce her to my Mom and was bizarrely trying to explain how they knew each other. I don't remember if he gave her a pamphlet or not. But I remember my moms face when she closed the door. I think was was shocked but a bit sad as well.

That man sadly committed suicide a few years after the door-to-door accounter. Which I think makes that memory even more bittersweet for my mother. It was thr last time she saw him. My Mom and my aunt attended the funeral of course. ?

Sorry that story ended up being sadder than I remembered.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived