IGNORED

JinJer & Felicity 44: The Glossy Veneer is Slipping

Jellybean

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

@PennySycamore I would give you the f- you button but don't want to really down vote you, I'm now going to have this song stuck in my head all day.  :bangheaddesk: 

Sadly not the worst song stuck in there this week.

Yeah, could be worse. It’s completely gone now, but for a week I couldn’t get some ponderous aria out of my mind.  

Now im trying to GET a certain tune in my head, one that’s completely been new to me but which just isn’t “clicking” — it’s  frustrating to me but my music teacher is about ready to quit over it!!

3 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

And I'm so happy, so very happy...

Thanks a lot, that's going to be stuck in my head now. :pb_lol:

My brain has moved on to more songs from VBS and family camp.

Give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning

Give me oil in my lamp, I pray 

Hallelujah!

Sorry. :my_blush:

Here's my current earworm, it came on this morning...never gonna get out of there!

Spoiler

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@Mama Mia, the lyrics to that song about the devil sitting on tacks is something like this:*

I've got that joy, joy, joy down in my heart

(where?) Down in my heart.

(where) Down in my heart

I've got that joy, joy, joy down in my heart to stay.

And if the Devil doesn't like he can sit on a tack

(what?) Sit on a tack

(what?) Sit on a tack

And if the Devil doesn't like it he can sit on tack to stay.

*That's the best I can remember it.  I probably learned the first verse in Sunbeams almost 60 years ago, but the second much, much later.

I remember seeing the Duggars or the Bates singing that. I wonder how they would feel knowing we used to sing that during Mass when I went to Catholic school. IT was a favorite of of us kids...... 

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Mama Mia, the lyrics to that song about the devil sitting on tacks is something like this:*

I've got that joy, joy, joy down in my heart

(where?) Down in my heart.

(where) Down in my heart

I've got that joy, joy, joy down in my heart to stay.

And if the Devil doesn't like he can sit on a tack

(what?) Sit on a tack

(what?) Sit on a tack

And if the Devil doesn't like it he can sit on tack to stay.

*That's the best I can remember it.  I probably learned the first verse in Sunbeams almost 60 years ago, but the second much, much later.

Thank you ? ! Trying to remember was driving me nuts !

1 minute ago, Mama Mia said:

Thank you ? ! Trying to remember was driving me nuts !

When I heard them sing it for the first time, I was like "hey that's our song!" 

4 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Original sin was happily preached by the various Christian ministries at this State university. 

It is a pretty common belief. Some churches push it more than others. It can be easy to think that the harmful teachings are out there with fringe groups like IBLP, but the reality is teaching children that they were born sinful and only worthy of hell is more common. 

3 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

There was only one mention of the Devil or Hell that I recall - and it was in a really silly song that had a refrain of “ if the Devil doesn’t like it he can sit on some tacks!” that we all giggled at. 

I remember that one! And also Father Abraham which really doesn't make a lot of sense. We also sang songs about the blood of Jesus. "What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus. What can make you whole again? Nothing but the blood of Jesus. "

and of course, the wonderful song for children

"There is a fountain filled with blood,
Drawn from Immanuel’s veins,
And sinners plunged beneath that flood
Lose all their guilty stains:
Lose all their guilty stains,
Lose all their guilty stains;
Lose all their guilty stains."

I always imagined an actual fountain with Jesus cutting open his veins and filling a big fountain. 

There is also 

Are you washed in the blood

and 

There is power in the blood

I sang a ridiculous amount of songs about blood at church as a child. 

2 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

It is a pretty common belief. Some churches push it more than others. It can be easy to think that the harmful teachings are out there with fringe groups like IBLP, but the reality is teaching children that they were born sinful and only worthy of hell is more common. 

I remember that one! And also Father Abraham which really doesn't make a lot of sense. We also sang songs about the blood of Jesus. "What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus. What can make you whole again? Nothing but the blood of Jesus. "

and of course, the wonderful song for children

"There is a fountain filled with blood,
Drawn from Immanuel’s veins,
Lose all their guilty stains:
Lose all their guilty stains,
Lose all their guilty stains;
Lose all their guilty stains."

I always imagined an actual fountain with Jesus cutting open his veins and filling a big fountain. 

There is also 

Are you washed in the blood

and 

There is power in the blood

I sang a ridiculous amount of songs about blood at church as a child. 

So much blood! "Oh the blood of Jesus" is  another one I heard a lot. It did hit me once how weird it would look to outsiders to see hundreds of people singing together about being covered in blood.

As for Hell, it's hard for people who weren't raised with that belief emphasized to understand how terrifying it is and how hard it is to get over that fear when it was instilled in you from early childhood. It has been years since I was a Christian but just a few nights ago I had a weird sleep episode where I only partially woke up and I became convinced I was dying and going to Hell. It was terrifying, even after all that time.

29 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I always hear “sit on a tack” in the voices of Rod and Todd Flanders.

My thoughts exactly. Here you go.

Spoiler

For anyone needing a new ear worm, here’s the latest craze among toddlers:

(Spoiler: I actually somehow love this song, probably because it’s the first song my daughter has gotten obsessed over and because she finds it so funny when I do the dance moves.)

On a side note, I checked GCC Laredo's statement of faith, which redirects to GCC SA, I forgot how Catholic lite + fire and brimstone it really is over closer to SBC. It looks like whoever's in charge of editing it has changed, the formatting is an inconsistent mess.

I remember as a kid being really freaked out at the over the concept of drowning if you decided to get Baptized and didn't truly believe and the extra adults who were in the water to guard from the devil or fight him if he showed up. I was concerned that he might really show up physically, my brother more so and like, what if he did show up and we didn't recognize him. Like what would happen if I accidentally hugged him, because you had to hug everyone, weird little kid thoughts.

As an adult I've never figured out why that church did it in such a dangerous creek, especially since someone did drown or almost drown when my dad was a kid.

2 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

My brain has moved on to more songs from VBS and family camp.

Give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning

Give me oil in my lamp, I pray 

Hallelujah!

Sorry. :my_blush:

No! Now stuck in my head!

3 minutes ago, CherylV said:

No! Now stuck in my head!

Again, sorry. :my_blush:

Did anyone else sing the "Give me gas for my Ford, keep me truckin' for the Lord" verse, or was that just us?

Just now, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Again, sorry. :my_blush:

Did anyone else sing the "Give me gas for my Ford, keep me truckin' for the Lord" verse, or was that just us?

We sang that! Not sure how common it was though 

@VelociRapture Hate to break it to you, but Baby Shark is old news ?...  And I am now being tortured, because there are 20,000 alternative versions too, and all of them have the same specific jinder stuff going on with them.

Anyway, if you want lovely toddler fare with really good music (ETA that riffs off 100 different styles), I 100% recommend Hey Duggee, which is a quintessentially CBeeBees  (BBC pre-school stuff) production, and adorable in every way.  My best friend has the album, but even as a non-parent, it's a gorgeous cartoon, and the graphic design is ace...

(I'm always Betty)

I also recommend Sarah and Duck...  Of course, people might need a VPN to see this on BBC sites...

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

t did hit me once how weird it would look to outsiders to see hundreds of people singing together about being covered in blood.

My husband was raised a Christmas and Easter Methodist and he was really confused how everyone was okay standing and singing about being covered in blood and bathing in blood. 

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

how hard it is to get over that fear when it was instilled in you from early childhood. I

It is really hard to get over this sort of stuff. I don't think people who weren't raised that way can understand. And even those who were raised with hell fire and damnation don't always get it because no everyone is impacted the same. I was a very sensitive child who took everything to heart and I believed it when they said I was born deserving nothing but suffering forever in hell and that I was worthy of nothing. 

5 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

My husband was raised a Christmas and Easter Methodist and he was really confused how everyone was okay standing and singing about being covered in blood and bathing in blood. 

It is really hard to get over this sort of stuff. I don't think people who weren't raised that way can understand. And even those who were raised with hell fire and damnation don't always get it because no everyone is impacted the same. I was a very sensitive child who took everything to heart and I believed it when they said I was born deserving nothing but suffering forever in hell and that I was worthy of nothing. 

This is a very good point.  I was only exposed to fundy-lite between the ages of 8-12 (Awana, VBS, and Evangelical Free Church) and I never fully bought in intellectually and have completely disavowed it for almost 4 decades and going to hell is still my biggest fear despite being a very dedicated lapsed Catholic.

None of my fear comes from Catholicism...in my case I was very affected by the fear of hell hammered into me as a kid.  I cannot tell you how many times I "accepted Christ as my savior" because I was never filled with peace so I figured I was doing it wrong.  Their mind fuckery is effective, I'll give them that.

Something that actually helped me with the fear of Hell was reading ex-Muslim forums. What a lot of them go through is definitely much worse but what struck me was how similar some things were, like the fear of Hell. But as real as the fear of "Christian Hell" is for me, I've never feared "Muslim Hell" in the slightest, and vice versa for people who were raised Muslim. It made me see how much that fear is a product of your upbringing and not in itself a rational fear. (Christians themselves often don't get that either and think the fear of Hell will be as powerful for non-Christians as it is for them.)

11 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I cannot tell you how many times I "accepted Christ as my savior" because I was never filled with peace so I figured I was doing it wrong.  Their mind fuckery is effective, I'll give them that.

I got saved so many times. My "official" salvation time was when I was in preschool*. My therapist had me think back to a time in childhood when I wasn't anxious and I couldn't because from the time I was small I was almost constantly worried about the state of my soul. Salvation never felt natural to me and I still wonder how all those people I grew up with made it seem so easy. It was like I was always putting on a show and trying to be what I thought a good Christian should be, but I never had this deep spiritual connection that others appeared to have. Reading the Bible was never enjoyable. Praying bored me. Bible studies were torture. I spent so much of young developing years wondering what was wrong with me and worried that I was going to hell if I died. 

12 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

It made me see how much that fear is a product of your upbringing and not in itself a rational fear. (Christians themselves often don't get that either and think the fear of Hell will be as powerful for non-Christians as it is for them.)

My therapist has mentioned something like this. Rationally I can tell you that I don't believe in hell and that it really isn't something I should worry about, and most of the time I'm okay. But in dark periods of my life it will all come back. Hell and the Rapture, those things caused me so much anxiety. 

*to give the church credit they would not baptize me until  I was way older and could explain salvation and why I needed to be saved. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived