IGNORED

JinJer & Felicity 44: The Glossy Veneer is Slipping

Jellybean

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jeremy.  There are good words at freejinger, some of them are seven and eight syllables and they make good sense. They are in sentences and everything.  They are better words than yours, to bad you’ll probably never know their worth.  

7 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I had 2 on Friday. I opened the door, put my hand up and said "no thank you" and "good luck on your endeavors."

They were pleasant as was I-

What? From your descriptions, we are very near neighbors, and I had NO idea there were door-to-door Mennonites in this area ! The only people who ever approach me are the people dressed in white suits  for the men, and a long white skirt for the women. They stand out in front of stores and ask for money for some mission.  Very polite. I’m not sure who they represent. Anyone know? 

Sometimes we get LDS missionaries, but I've not seen any for quite a while- possibly because the last time they knocked was a fairly rough day, and my response was "Hail Satan and have a nice day." 

I've recently done a bit of googling and the only missionaries/missions trips coming to Perth I can find are the LDS. 
Honestly, part of me really wants to see the reaction my suburb would have to a full-blown skirts-only fundevangelist missionary. 
The rest of me knows nobody really deserves it. 

8 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@nst, one of my granddaughters is a Brownie and another just "flew up" this year to Junior Girl Scouts.   The girls both love their involvement in Girl Scouting.

i don't remember being a girl scout, a brownie I do as i sold cookies in lions bay when i was a kid and then we went on overnights which were horrible. 

6 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

What? From your descriptions, we are very near neighbors, and I had NO idea there were door-to-door Mennonites in this area ! The only people who ever approach me are the people dressed in white suits  for the men, and a long white skirt for the women. They stand out in front of stores and ask for money for some mission.  Very polite. I’m not sure who they represent. Anyone know? 

Not sure- they had the garb and  some sort of religious books in their hands. On that day, I was expecting a package and also I've had this lingering thought of how thieves ring doorbells in the middle of the day and then kick in the door if no one answers, so I answered. I typically do not answer the door if I'm not expecting anyone. My front door is one flight of stairs down from the bulk of my living space-

I found girl scout knock off cookies at Aldi last week- I think they were 89 cents a package? Would've never known the difference. So if you are near an Aldi and can't wait until Spring now there's an option!

22 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

I found girl scout knock off cookies at Aldi last week- I think they were 89 cents a package? Would've never known the difference. So if you are near an Aldi and can't wait until Spring now there's an option!

Same thing at Lidl.  My husband brought home the Lidl knockoff of Samoas and most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference.  My girls sell them so I’m conflicted...lol.

Keebler has some,too,that are like thin mints and Samoas.

Snark,how do you like Lidl?We just had one open last year,and I love it!I just love the produce.I always am amazed at how much a I get a low cost.

I like Aldi,too.

Sorry,if I have hijacked..carry on.

6 minutes ago, melon said:

Keebler has some,too,that are like thin mints and Samoas.

Snark,how do you like Lidl?We just had one open last year,and I love it!I just love the produce.I always am amazed at how much a I get a low cost.

I like Aldi,too.

Sorry,if I have hijacked..carry on.

We shop at Lidl weekly and we love it too.  I love how affordable it is, especially the organic/grass fed meats.  And the quality is great.  

25 minutes ago, melon said:

I like Aldi,too.

Aldi has mint choc cookies similar to thin mints/grasshoppers for $0.95.  I love Aldi!

Some things I won't buy there, but it's always my first of 3 stores when I shop and it saves me so much money.

ETA I posted this before I saw @fluffernutter said the same thing.  Teach me to respond before catching up

3 hours ago, nst said:

i don't remember being a girl scout, a brownie I do

I was a brownie for all of almost one meeting.  After my mom bought the uniform and paid dues or whatever.

I wasn't brownie material, but I did keep the book which I loved.  I was entranced by the idea of the middle of the night cleaning and good deeds and kindness for others without being asked.

I honestly think it may be one reason I always associated housework with love....as a gift to my family.

(I am so sappy!)

My kids answer the door, sometimes when I say not to, but most of the time it's the neighborhood kids wanting to play. But once that shit is done, back to not answering the door. 

I usually don't have anyone knocking at my door.The HOA has no solicitation signs.Sometimes,people must not see the signs ,or just ignore the signs.

My brother is a JW,I would not put it past them to send someone from the congregation local to me,to talk to me.Once,someone did come by to invite us to the Memorial of Christ's Death.I have seen tracts left on my porch,luckily,I was not home.

Mr Melon and I are ex LDS,we don't go,anymore or accept many of their beliefs.

It was ironic that they build a meeting house about a mile from our house,if we still went,that would be where we'd go.The missionaries have come a few times.Probably because our names are still on the membership rosters.We asked to be removed..they have not done so,

Aldi,Lidl and Trader Joes,are my favorite stores.Harris Teeter and Publix have good sales and I have always had excellent customer service.Publix earned even more respect because during the storm,which,we were lucky ,not to have problems...they stayed open.

I despise Walmart.I hate going there.Mr Melon gets his prescription from there,and he cannot understand my hatred of Walmart.He even said I should apply for a job there!!Hell to the NO!

2 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

I have had the peanut butter ones and they are delicious. 

1 minute ago, libgirl2 said:

I have had the peanut butter ones and they are delicious. 

The coconut, chocolate, and caramel rings are great, too.  One of my sons loves the Mallowmar knockoffs.  

4 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

The coconut, chocolate, and caramel rings are great, too.  One of my sons loves the Mallowmar knockoffs.  

My co-worker likes the "thin mint" knock off. I know I would love the coconut ones. 

@Vivi_music, I was reading your post while watching an episode of Deadly Devotion on Discovery ID that is about JWs.  This woman is getting no help from the church in dealing with her abusive estranged husband.

ETA:   The estranged ex burst into the house with a sawed-off shotgun, held his wife at gunpoint briefly, and then went to get the two kids.  Mom called 911 and then went to the kids' bedroom.  The husband shot her and then the kids who were hugging each other as they were murdered by the stepfather.  The woman's first husband had been disfellowshipped by the JWs.  He was shunned at the funeral.  

16 minutes ago, FJismyheadship said:

An article showed up on my feed today, saying people were saying the Vuolos were culturally appropriating because of the hat/scarf/whatever it was on Felicity's head at the game.

Thoughts?

Huh? 

16 minutes ago, FJismyheadship said:

An article showed up on my feed today, saying people were saying the Vuolos were culturally appropriating because of the hat/scarf/whatever it was on Felicity's head at the game.

Thoughts?

FFS. I don't particularly like the baby turban, but enough already with the cultural appropriation hysteria.

12 minutes ago, FJismyheadship said:

Thoughts?

Then all 20 something white girls are doing it, because I know 3 young moms in their early/mid 20's with daughters who's girls wear them.  I don't think it is appropriation, women of all colors and ethnicities have worn them for centuries.

We have a store not too far away run by aboriginals where they sell goods and clothing decorated with Native art.  The clothing (capes, dresses etc) is gorgeous and sold so people can wear it.  Personally I will wear whatever the hell I want.  Have had too many years of asshats trying to tell me what to wear.

35 minutes ago, FJismyheadship said:

Thoughts?

I think the baby turban is probably ok

If you really think about it, it has only been about 50ish years since western women stopped wearing head coverings of some sort when out in public. For most of history women have almost always worn something on their head, either veils, head scarves, hats etc. They varied in form, fashion and practicality , even as late as the 1960 women would wear some type of hat when out in public as it was considered part of your womanly duty to be well kempt at all times, and the hat was the topper on the "present" so to speak.  It was the sexual revolution in the late 60's early 70's that they started saying fuck this and let their hair down to fly free.

21 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

We have a store not too far away run by aboriginals where they sell goods and clothing decorated with Native art.  The clothing (capes, dresses etc) is gorgeous and sold so people can wear it.  Personally I will wear whatever the hell I want.  Have had too many years of asshats trying to tell me what to wear.

Buying and wearing art made by First Nations people isn't disrespectful or appropriative (unless you're wearing something intended for ceremonial use as a fashion statement). The problem is when large clothing companies make knock offs of Native art with no benefit or imput to Native people and strictly in the name of profit.

As for the baby turban, I don't see it as problematic. It's a head covering to keep the baby warm. If they'd acessorized the baby with bindis, henna and gold jewelery just for the hell of it, that would make it appropriation.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived