IGNORED

Texas Senate Race: Beto O'Rourke vs. Ted Cruz

Cartmann99

4 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

I'm already trying to think of what to wear in order to piss off and befuddle the most people at my polling place when I DANCE A JIG AS I GO IN TO VOTE FOR BETO.  A tee with a caption in Spanish?  A hijab?  Or full-on pastel goth?  The possibilities are endless.

:text-lol: My  brain is obviously failing, I thought you lived somewhere on the east coast?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope - I live behind the Pine Curtain - East Texas, home of Big Sandy, Braggie Abbie and ALERT Academy (which I make a face at when we drive past it).

*Looks up from her spinning wheel*

You tell 'em Ted! We sure don't want none of that tofu nonsense, evil big-city technology, or a bunch of Jezebels tempting our innocent young men with their dyed hair! 

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) told a rally crowd in Humble, Texas that his opponent would turn Texas into California by bringing “tofu, silicon and dyed hair,” according to a Reuters reporter.

James Oliphant of Reuters was at the rally, where Cruz was asked repeatedly about a White House aide’s comments suggesting that he could lose to Democratic opponent Beto O’Rourke because he is unlikable.

Cruz refused to comment claiming he had not yet read the report.

During his stump speech, the allegedly unlikeable Republican took on dyed hair—his own wife, Heidi, having presumably developed naturally blonde hair following college.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/ted-cruz-warns-beto-cruz-will-bring-tofu-silicon-dyed-hair-texas/

*Looks up from her spinning wheel*
You tell 'em Ted! We sure don't want none of that tofu nonsense, evil big-city technology, or a bunch of Jezebels tempting our innocent young men with their dyed hair! 
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) told a rally crowd in Humble, Texas that his opponent would turn Texas into California by bringing “tofu, silicon and dyed hair,” according to a Reuters reporter.
James Oliphant of Reuters was at the rally, where Cruz was asked repeatedly about a White House aide’s comments suggesting that he could lose to Democratic opponent Beto O’Rourke because he is unlikable.
Cruz refused to comment claiming he had not yet read the report.
During his stump speech, the allegedly unlikeable Republican took on dyed hair—his own wife, Heidi, having presumably developed naturally blonde hair following college.
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/ted-cruz-warns-beto-cruz-will-bring-tofu-silicon-dyed-hair-texas/

The only thing Teddy brings to Texas is racist, misogynistic, homophobic dumb fuckery.

Ted Cruz lives in Houston when he's not being a complete jackass in Washington.

Oh man,  Dim Donald 2.0 is going to do pro-Cruz events in Houston on 10/3, Cornyn is overlooking the fact that Cruz refused to endorse his re-election bid in 2014 to go stump for him, and various right-wing nutter groups and people (including the Mercers), are being asked to help Lyin' Ted. In other words, these folks are seriously scared!

The picture cuts off, you have to click on it to see the full image.

I was just in Lockhart, Texas, a town southeast of Austin, famous mostly for its BBQ, and especially when the founder died and there was a titanic family battle over the iconic location and the name.  This is the kind of place where your order was served on wax paper with a side of white bread, and there were big knives attached to the picnic style tables (inside) in case you needed to cut anything, and a patina of smoke and grease covered everything.   Sides were pickles and onions.  Anyway, one family member kept the location but had to change the name.  The name went to a brand new location.   Everybody seems to be doing OK; it's still good BBQ.  Anyway, the point is that at least two downtown businesses, one on the town square, had prominent Beto signs in their respective windows.  

This is a dicey proposition.  I'd guess Lockhart went to Trump; it's an old conservative town that's getting a little influx from people priced out of Austin and willing to do a bit of a commute to get to work.  But it's a sign of the times that someone would confidently take the risk of losing business with a Beto sign, or maybe gain it. 

And yes, at lunch a guy came in with a large holstered side arm. 

My sense is that at least some conservatives are getting the impression that Lyin' Ted is some kind of swamp creature who is perpetually running for president rather than serving the people of Texas. 

43 minutes ago, Howl said:

And yes, at lunch a guy came in with a large holstered side arm

Did you show him your big watermelon cutting knife? :kitty-wink:

Agreed with you, @Howl, Lockhart has always seemed to me like a typical rural Republican town. Caldwell county went for Trump in 2016 but interestingly nearly 40% voted Hilary. So Democrats do exist there (although electoral turnout there, like everywhere in Texas, is pathetic -- about 12,000 votes in a county of 40,000). Still, Beto signs in the town square. What an election, y'all.

When you try to win an argument using these tactics and forget that the internet is forever...

I have a bad feeling that Lyin' Ted is going to be doing a LOT of lyin' in this campaign.  They are going to go very dirty and I think it may backfire with many voters.  Ted's campaign is obviously going for the fear factor. 

"Watcha laughing at," I said to Mr PPOD last night.  

Mr PPOD holds up his phone to me and plays the Ted Cruz campain ad for me.

Can't link on my phone, but it's  all about how you can't run in Texas and be a Liberal man. Super craptastic lyrics. Clearly aimed at the gun toting anti tofu crowd.  Would be hilarious in a saner world.

2 hours ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

"Watcha laughing at," I said to Mr PPOD last night.  

Mr PPOD holds up his phone to me and plays the Ted Cruz campain ad for me.

Can't link on my phone, but it's  all about how you can't run in Texas and be a Liberal man. Super craptastic lyrics. Clearly aimed at the gun toting anti tofu crowd.  Would be hilarious in a saner world.

This one?

Beto's initial response was to post this childhood picture of himself:

920x1240.jpg

@Cartmann99, That's the one! 

Love the Beto  photo.  I think I had the same pants and haircut as the kid second from the left at about that age, because my mother didn't see the point of making girls wear only pink and skirts.

23 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Well, I do have a serrated water melon cutting knife, it's pretty close to machete size.  Alas, I didn't have it with me. 

I did see a Cruz ad today with lots o' scary stuff about Beto.  Open borders and what not. 

On 9/10/2018 at 4:37 PM, Cartmann99 said:

I should explain this for the non-Texans. The laws on the open carrying of knives in Texas changed in 2017 so that there is no longer any restrictions on blade size. So, unless the business owner asked her to leave it in the car, @Howl could legally take her big melon cutting knife into the BBQ place in case she needed to fight off any attackers.

AUSTIN, Texas - A new law in Texas will allow people over 18 to carry knives with blades longer than 5 ½ inches in public.

That means after September 1, people possessing anything from daggers to swords will not be breaking any laws.
“What this law does is it gets rid of all that grey area and simplifies the law,” said AJ Postell, co-founder of Lone Star Gun Rights.

Gov. Greg Abbott recently signed House Bill 1935 into law, removing size restrictions on knife blades carried publicly by adults.

“The way the law currently is is that any knife with a blade length over 5 ½  inches is prohibited, so with the new law, it basically takes all that prohibited language off the books thus allowing knives over 5 ½  inches of blade length, also daggers, double-edged knives, dirks, even swords will soon come legal September 1,” Postell said.

Part of the reason knife activists fought for the bill is because they feel Texans were being unfairly labeled as criminals for carrying knives.

“We were seeing a lot of Texans get in trouble for the mere possession of something that they were legally allowed to own and to buy, but they were getting in trouble for possessing that item,” said Postell. 

Even after September, long knives will not be allowed in several places; including bars, schools, churches, airports, government buildings, hospitals, correctional facilities, sporting events and polling locations.

“If someone goes into a business and the business owner or an employee is not comfortable with what they're carrying, they can ask them to leave or ask them to go place it in their vehicle and, again, law abiding people are going to do that,” Postell said.

Even though carrying swords or machetes may soon be legal, Austin police don't expect many will take advantage of the opportunity.

“We're looking at this in the same light that we saw from going to open carry from concealed carry. There was a lot of concern prior to the bill being passed that was going to allow people to carry firearms on their sides versus being concealed and what we saw was very little of that going on in actual practice,” said Austin Police Department Assistant Chief Frank Dixon. 

As for any possible increases in crime, police said the new law will not make knife violence any less punishable.

“It's going to be a cultural shift in how we think and how we conduct business, but, at the end of the day, I don't think it's going to impact public safety a bit,” Dixon said.

Minors will still be unable to possess knives over 5 ½ inches unless they are in a car, watercraft or supervised by a parent or guardian.

Austin police want to remind the public that even after September 1, if you see someone suspicious carrying any length knife it is okay to report it to authorities.

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/texas-law-will-allow-open-carry-of-knives-swords-

I personally think this is nuts, but my elected officials love this sort of nonsense.

A Beto sign has just appeared in my yard!  Hubs must have gotten it!  So excited! 

ETA: Hubs says he didn't have anything to do with it.  It must have been a Beto angel! 

Archived