IGNORED

Senator McCain is discontinuing cancer treatments /Senator McCain Passed RIP

47of74

11 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

They did. I believe that McCain spoke recently or wrote in his last book about how he had wanted to pick Joe Lieberman (my former Senator.) Lieberman was a Democrat turned Independent (he lost a primary race to Ned Lamont one year and later won that general election as an Independent), but Lieberman would have been a good choice for McCain given that they were friends and it would have showcased McCain’s commitment to bipartisanship. Unfortunately, his campaign felt otherwise and they pushed Palin as the choice because they wanted to appeal to more female voters. :pb_rollseyes:

Ultimately, McCain was the one who made that choice though. I think he chose badly that time and to be honest I’m pretty sure he’d agree with that because I think he said as much at one point.

Well that shows how little his advisors knew about women! (Wonder how many of them WERE women?) ALL of my women friends, even conservatives, HATE her and feel that she is an embarrassment on every level!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

Freaking insane BTs: "McCain conspiracists say his brain cancer was a hoax"

Spoiler

President Trump displayed his innate grace and decency Saturday by spiking a White House statement honoring the late Sen. John McCain’s life. Monday morning, the flag over the White House was ( until criticism poured in ) back to full staff, six days before protocol says it should have been.

Even for Trump, this seemed churlish. Unless there is another explanation: John McCain is not dead.

When McCain’s family put out the news Friday that he had discontinued treatment for his terminal brain cancer, this was done “to take media attention” from Senate candidate Kelli Ward, and, according to Ward herself, replace it with a “narrative that they hope is negative to me.”

Ward had unsuccessfully challenged McCain in the 2016 Republican primary in Arizona, so it makes complete sense that, two years later, McCain would arrange his death to divert attention from Ward’s bus tour.

Furthermore, according to a conspiracy theory network popular among some Trump boosters, when McCain supposedly died on Saturday, he did not succumb to cancer but took his own life to avoid being hauled off to Guantanamo Bay and put before a military tribunal for his longtime work helping Islamic State terrorists and others. (And before he died, he concealed his criminal ankle bracelet by wearing a medical boot on his leg.)

Unless, of course, the suicide, like the cancer, was just a ruse. In that case, McCain will continue to work secretly for the deep state and for the Clinton Foundation.

So many lies. Heck, he’s even lying in state!

In death, as in life, McCain has a way of bringing out the loons. Undoubtedly the posthumous conspiracy theories would have amused him as much as anybody. He took particular delight in debunking “propaganda and crackpot conspiracy theories,” as he put it to Naval Academy midshipmen 10 months ago.

No matter the evidence, “still the conspiracy theorists hock their wares,” he wrote in 2009, introducing a book refuting 9/11 conspiracy notions. “They ignore the methods of science, the protocols of investigation and the dictates of logic. The conspiracy theorists chase any bit of information, no matter how flimsy, and use it to fit their preordained conclusions. They ascribe to the government, or to some secretive group, powers wholly out of proportion to what the evidence suggests. And they ignore the facts that are present in plain sight. We cannot let these tales go unanswered.”

Answering those tales is even more important at a time when the president amplifies and echoes them. In his love of truth, McCain was the anti-Trump. Trump rose to power with his “birther” conspiracy theory and the support of the Alex Jones crowd, and he has literally thrown open the doors of the White House to conspiracy theorists.

Last Thursday, as the Daily Beast’s Asawin Suebsaeng and Will Sommer reported, Trump hosted Lionel Lebron, a prominent conspiracy theorist, and posed with him in the Oval Office. Lebron is a 9/11 truther who believes Trump is fighting the deep state and globalist pedophiles and is a leading promoter of the very online network floating the notion McCain is alive or a suicide. Three days after his White House visit, Lebron tweeted an image of Trump crossing a swamp of Democrats, featuring racist images of Barack and Michelle Obama and the words “fire at will.”

With the exception of Hillary Clinton, perhaps nobody stoked the conspiracy crowd’s fevers like McCain. He was “songbird” McCain, a secret agent of the North Vietnamese who threw the 2008 election to Obama, covertly met with the leaders of Islamic State in Syria, secretively started the Robert S. Mueller III “witch hunt” against Trump, and was “in bed with the Clinton Foundation” but turned against Clinton shortly before his death.

A post on Sunday from the leader of a prominent conspiracy forum wrestled with whether McCain killed himself or surrendered: “Suicide weekend? Hands up? . . . We are in control. BIG week ahead.”

One wacky participant speculated: “National Dog Day happens to be the day McCain’s death announced. Coincidence?” (Sorry, no. McCain died Saturday. National Dog Day was Sunday.)

Weirdly, conspiracy theorist broadcaster Alex Jones accepted at face value McCain’s death from brain cancer. “I’m gonna take the high road because I think McCain was actually a twisted, compromised, tortured individual,” Jones said, calling McCain “leader of the deep state.”

McCain would have had a ready rejoinder for these “deathers” — just as he did when he took the microphone in 2008 from the supporter who called Barack Obama an “Arab”; ridiculed “chemtrail Kelli Ward” in 2016 for promoting the belief that jet contrails spread biological weapons and change weather; and denounced the “nutty conspiracy theory” in 2015 that accused him of staging Islamic State beheadings.

McCain answered these nuts with calm reason. In memory of him, let’s continue his fight until they, and their leader in the Oval Office, return to the crevices whence they came.

• Disgust 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 13

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Freaking insane BTs: "McCain conspiracists say his brain cancer was a hoax"

Reveal hidden contents

President Trump displayed his innate grace and decency Saturday by spiking a White House statement honoring the late Sen. John McCain’s life. Monday morning, the flag over the White House was ( until criticism poured in ) back to full staff, six days before protocol says it should have been.

Even for Trump, this seemed churlish. Unless there is another explanation: John McCain is not dead.

When McCain’s family put out the news Friday that he had discontinued treatment for his terminal brain cancer, this was done “to take media attention” from Senate candidate Kelli Ward, and, according to Ward herself, replace it with a “narrative that they hope is negative to me.”

Ward had unsuccessfully challenged McCain in the 2016 Republican primary in Arizona, so it makes complete sense that, two years later, McCain would arrange his death to divert attention from Ward’s bus tour.

Furthermore, according to a conspiracy theory network popular among some Trump boosters, when McCain supposedly died on Saturday, he did not succumb to cancer but took his own life to avoid being hauled off to Guantanamo Bay and put before a military tribunal for his longtime work helping Islamic State terrorists and others. (And before he died, he concealed his criminal ankle bracelet by wearing a medical boot on his leg.)

Unless, of course, the suicide, like the cancer, was just a ruse. In that case, McCain will continue to work secretly for the deep state and for the Clinton Foundation.

So many lies. Heck, he’s even lying in state!

In death, as in life, McCain has a way of bringing out the loons. Undoubtedly the posthumous conspiracy theories would have amused him as much as anybody. He took particular delight in debunking “propaganda and crackpot conspiracy theories,” as he put it to Naval Academy midshipmen 10 months ago.

No matter the evidence, “still the conspiracy theorists hock their wares,” he wrote in 2009, introducing a book refuting 9/11 conspiracy notions. “They ignore the methods of science, the protocols of investigation and the dictates of logic. The conspiracy theorists chase any bit of information, no matter how flimsy, and use it to fit their preordained conclusions. They ascribe to the government, or to some secretive group, powers wholly out of proportion to what the evidence suggests. And they ignore the facts that are present in plain sight. We cannot let these tales go unanswered.”

Answering those tales is even more important at a time when the president amplifies and echoes them. In his love of truth, McCain was the anti-Trump. Trump rose to power with his “birther” conspiracy theory and the support of the Alex Jones crowd, and he has literally thrown open the doors of the White House to conspiracy theorists.

Last Thursday, as the Daily Beast’s Asawin Suebsaeng and Will Sommer reported, Trump hosted Lionel Lebron, a prominent conspiracy theorist, and posed with him in the Oval Office. Lebron is a 9/11 truther who believes Trump is fighting the deep state and globalist pedophiles and is a leading promoter of the very online network floating the notion McCain is alive or a suicide. Three days after his White House visit, Lebron tweeted an image of Trump crossing a swamp of Democrats, featuring racist images of Barack and Michelle Obama and the words “fire at will.”

With the exception of Hillary Clinton, perhaps nobody stoked the conspiracy crowd’s fevers like McCain. He was “songbird” McCain, a secret agent of the North Vietnamese who threw the 2008 election to Obama, covertly met with the leaders of Islamic State in Syria, secretively started the Robert S. Mueller III “witch hunt” against Trump, and was “in bed with the Clinton Foundation” but turned against Clinton shortly before his death.

A post on Sunday from the leader of a prominent conspiracy forum wrestled with whether McCain killed himself or surrendered: “Suicide weekend? Hands up? . . . We are in control. BIG week ahead.”

One wacky participant speculated: “National Dog Day happens to be the day McCain’s death announced. Coincidence?” (Sorry, no. McCain died Saturday. National Dog Day was Sunday.)

Weirdly, conspiracy theorist broadcaster Alex Jones accepted at face value McCain’s death from brain cancer. “I’m gonna take the high road because I think McCain was actually a twisted, compromised, tortured individual,” Jones said, calling McCain “leader of the deep state.”

McCain would have had a ready rejoinder for these “deathers” — just as he did when he took the microphone in 2008 from the supporter who called Barack Obama an “Arab”; ridiculed “chemtrail Kelli Ward” in 2016 for promoting the belief that jet contrails spread biological weapons and change weather; and denounced the “nutty conspiracy theory” in 2015 that accused him of staging Islamic State beheadings.

McCain answered these nuts with calm reason. In memory of him, let’s continue his fight until they, and their leader in the Oval Office, return to the crevices whence they came.

This is another article that WTF is way too lenient, and I wish I could give something stronger than disgust. I'm angry about these monsters, but don't want to give you negative reputation. Grrrr!!!!

• Upvote 8

I like The Onion mocking Dumpy's response to McCain's passing:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

Damn, Meghan. I was crying during that eulogy. The love and respect she had for her father and that he had for his family really showed in her speech. 

She pulled no punches either. I hope that Ivanka and Jared were using their “listening ears”, but they’ll probably just be as willfully obtuse as always. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

30 minutes ago, AuntK said:

Can somebody please tell me WHY Ivanka and Jared are attending McCain's funeral service? Just seeing their smug faces makes me ill!

I saw them on the screen and literally went:

88595E20-22FD-40B9-855B-D029CC6BBB53.jpeg.6e9b284ad33e93967a1c326c696a8dd1.jpeg

Seriously, NONE of the Trumps should have attended. The absolute gall of those two to show their fucking faces there. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

Tweeted during the service. 

This is so appalling that I lack the words to express my disgust.

Edited by fraurosena
separating merged posts
  • Disgust 6
  • WTF 7
  • I Agree 1

The whole service is riddled with subtle, and not so subtle, political snark. We all know that McCain was heavily involved in his funeral arrangements, so this is his last opportunity at 'voicing' his opinions for all the world to hear. 

Edited by fraurosena
words
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 13

John McCain’s Funeral Was the Biggest Resistance Meeting Yet

Donald Trump’s name was never mentioned. It didn’t have to be. The funeral service for John Sidney McCain III, at the Washington National Cathedral, on this swampy Saturday morning, was all about a rebuke to the pointedly uninvited current President of the United States, which was exactly how McCain had planned it.

Of course, there were fulsome tributes to Senator McCain’s bravery and courage and public service, stark reminders of the torture he endured as a prisoner of war, and of the policies he fought for (and against) in his many decades as a Republican politician from Arizona. But McCain knew that would not be the headline from the grand service, whose many details he personally oversaw. This was to be no mere laying to rest of a Washington wise man, nor just another funeral of an elder statesman whose passing would be marked by flowery words about the end of an era. It was a meeting of the Resistance, under vaulted ceilings and stained-glass windows.

This was made clear a few minutes into the two-and-a-half-hour service, when McCain’s daughter Meghan, weeping at times, called it a funeral for nothing less than “the passing of American greatness” that her father represented, and not the “cheap rhetoric” that now passes for it. Later, her voice breaking, she said, “The America of John McCain does not need to be made great again, because it is already great.” Her eulogy was then interrupted by applause, the first time I have heard such a thing at a funeral in that great, cavernous, and sombre Episcopalian hall. She hadn’t uttered the name of the “President Non Grata,” as the Washington Post recently referred to Trump, nor did she need to. Midway through her remarkable speech, a pool report from the White House was released. Trump, wearing a white “Make America Great Again” hat, and having tweeted his morning complement of bile, directed at Hillary Clinton, Robert Mueller, and his own Justice Department, had departed to play golf.

Before he died, McCain had personally enlisted Trump’s two Presidential predecessors to speak at the service, and when they came to the lectern both George W. Bush and Barack Obama fulfilled the role they had been assigned, offering tributes to the man they had each beaten in an election, as well as odes to the American political system they all loved. In any other context, maybe it would not seem to be a stinging criticism to hear Obama praise the “rule of law.” But Trump is the inescapable context of these times in Washington. “Perhaps above all,” Bush said, “John detested the abuse of power.” When Bush talked about McCain’s dedication to America’s leadership in the world and his hatred of tyrants, how many of those listening thought of the current President’s praise for many of those same dictators whom McCain had been so proud to oppose? Of course they thought of it. That was the point.

In the line of his address that is sure to be its most quoted, Obama seemed to describe both Trump and the divisive way in which he has chosen to lead the country. “So much of our politics can seem small and mean and petty, trafficking in bombast and insult, in phony controversies and manufactured outrage,” Obama said. “It’s a politics that pretends to be brave, but in fact is born of fear. John called on us to be bigger than that. He called on us to be better than that.” Heads nodded. Democratic heads and Republican ones alike. For a moment, at least, they still lived in the America where Obama and Bush and Bill Clinton and Dick Cheney could all sit in the same pew, in the same church, and sing the same words to the patriotic hymns that made them all teary-eyed at the same time. When the two Presidents were done speaking, “The Battle Hymn of the Republic” blared out. This time, once again, the battle is within America. The country’s leadership, the flawed, all too human men and women who have run the place, successfully or not, for the past few decades, were all in the same room, at least for a few hours on a Saturday morning. The President of the United States, however, was not.

McCain’s grand funeral—the Obama adviser David Axelrod called it an exercise in “civic communion”—underscored a fact that is often lost about Washington these days. The city is much more bipartisan, in some respects, than it has ever been, more united than it may currently seem, in its hatred of Donald Trump.

Some are more forthright about this than others, for understandable reasons. Others are circumspect, especially the elected Republican officials who have now publicly bowed to Trump after trying and failing to stop his ascendance in their party. But their presence at McCain’s funeral suggested that the final chapter has not yet been written in the Republican drama over what to do about the crude interloper who has taken over their party. McCain certainly died hoping for something other than the current, slavish devotion to Trump that many Republicans on Capitol Hill now profess, and that is what his funeral was meant to remind us. Watching John Boehner and Elizabeth Warren, David Petraeus and Leon Panetta, Al Gore and Madeleine Albright and Paul Ryan glad-hand in the pre-noon hours of September 1st, there was no doubt of what their presence there, together, was meant to convey.

A little after 9 a.m., President Trump’s daughter Ivanka and her husband, Jared Kushner, made an entrance in the packed Cathedral, embracing Republican senators, nodding earnestly, dressed in black like everyone else. Trump’s national-security adviser, John Bolton, was there, too, along with John Kelly, the former Marine general whom Trump has enlisted as his White House chief of staff. All eyes were on them, and, after the service, that is much of what the buzzing knots of people outside the cathedral talked about: What were they thinking as they heard the speeches? Why did they come? Were they embarrassed? Ashamed? Should they be? They should not be under any illusions, and I imagine they weren’t: this was a room full of people who hate much of what their boss is doing, and that they are letting him do it. Was a tax cut for the wealthy worth it? A few dozen judicial appointments and two Supreme Court seats?

A few minutes after the service, when the talking and singing was over and the bipartisan establishment flowed back into the humid swamp outside the cathedral, I ran into Jeff Flake, McCain’s fellow-senator from Arizona and, like McCain, one of Trump’s few remaining public critics among Republicans on Capitol Hill. “The fever will break eventually,” Flake said. “It has to.” It was an oddly optimistic thing to say at a funeral, and, when he said it, it hardly sounded convincing.

But I imagined that it was the prayer voiced silently by many of those in the room. I thought back to the beginning of the service, when the choir had sung the beautiful words of the Navy Hymn: “Oh Holy Spirit, who didst brood upon the chaos dark and rude and bid its angry tumult cease and give, for wild confusion, peace; oh hear us as we cry to Thee, for those in peril on the sea!” I have heard those words at many funerals before, but never did they seem to speak to the room in quite the same way.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 6