IGNORED

Senator McCain is discontinuing cancer treatments /Senator McCain Passed RIP

47of74

My brother in law just told me the news. 

My dad served in Vietnam with him and remembers the USS Forrestal incident. Last month we visited the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola, which contains the USS Forrestal memorial. I had not heard details of it and found the memorial and information very moving. I grew up in a Navy family and have nothing but utmost respect for any military personnel, current or retired.

I am far from sharing Republican ideals but I always had a lot of respect for Senator McCain.  May he rest in peace. 

Edited by PumaLover
clarity
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 13

I remember this video from the 2008 campaign when he took the mic from a crazy woman who is probably now wearing a freaking MAGA hat.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 20

I just had to add a few others from this article:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/reaction-death-arizona-sen-john-mccain-020031083.html

"John McCain's life is proof that some truths are timeless. Character. Courage. Integrity. Honor. A life lived embodying those truths casts a long, long shadow. John McCain will cast a long shadow. His impact on America hasn't ended. Not even close. It will go on for many years to come."

"As a POW, John endured the worst of what human beings can do to one another. In politics, he fell short of his greatest ambition. At the end of his life he faced a cruel and relentless disease. And yet through it all he never lost sight of what he believed most: Country First. And the spirit that drove him was never extinguished: we are here to commit ourselves to something bigger than ourselves."

"John was many things - a proud graduate of the Naval Academy, a Senate colleague, a political opponent. But, to me, more than anything, John was a friend. "

"America will miss John McCain. The world will miss John McCain. And I will miss him dearly."

"On behalf of myself, Jill, and the entire Biden family, our sincerest condolences go out to Cindy, Doug, Andy, Sidney, Meghan, Jack, Jimmy, Bridget, and the entire McCain family." — former Vice President Joe Biden.

"Senator John McCain was an American hero and a true patriot. I always admired and respected John from the opposite side of the aisle, because he thrived under pressure, and would work to find common ground, no matter how hard. He dedicated his life to serving the country he loved. I have no doubt that the Maverick's legacy will forever be an important model of leadership and civil discourse." — former Vice President Al Gore, on Twitter.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 6

He’s died, apparently. 
Trump is a cunt.

Rest In Peace Senator McCain.

Fuck that Orange paraquat.

It’s insulting to c—ts to compare them to that orange asswipe.
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

I had some political differences with Senator McCain, however; he always had my up-most respect.  He truly lived his life in honor of his country. My thoughts and sympathy goes out to his family, his many close friends on both sides of the aisle, and our country for losing a true patriot.      

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

I've been dreading this day since his diagnosis was announced last year. There just isn't anyone in the senate quite like McCain.  Republican or democrat, did it really matter? McCain's views were certainly conservative but he was willing to work with whoever to make a compromise or get things done (you know, like all senators probably should?)

He was a devoted public servant who I believe did his best to serve his state and country. He was a man full of integrity, a rarity among politicians. In character, he seemed more or less the antithesis of Trump. I'm sad that he's gone, but may he rest in peace. I hope he'll serve as an example to our future politicians.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 9

Interesting fact, which I read on the Arizona Republic website, both John McCain and Ted Kennedy died on August 25 (9 years apart), and both from brain tumors/ cancers (although the exact types were different.) They, reportedly, were good friends.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 2

Really sad. He had the guts to stand up to Trump and Trump didn’t nothing but bash him. He was a very noble man and was a true hero after being a prisoner of war for five long years.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Meghan’s eulogy for her father is beautiful.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 8
  • Love 13

How terrible is it, that the leader of a foreign country has more poignant words for the passing of your countryman than his own commander in chief?

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 6

Here we say that winning is easy, while losing is hard and character showing. He was a man of character and honor and he showed it best when it was harder. He dies when the US needs him the most, but people like him can be more powerful and inspiring in death. Rest in peace Senator McCain.

• Upvote 17

I was recalling seeing McCain on a late-night talk show the night after he lost the presidential election. 

Letterman (I think it was Letterman) asked him how he was doing.  McCain said, I'm sleeping like a baby.  I go to sleep, then I wake up and cry.  Pretty funny. 

• Upvote 12

I too, have been dreading this day.  McCain was a moderate Republican who was able to work in a bipartisan manner.  The governor of Arizona is now free to appoint someone to fill McCain's seat.  This person will work to push the Orange Ass agenda.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 1

5 minutes ago, PsyD2013 said:

I too, have been dreading this day.  McCain was a moderate Republican who was able to work in a bipartisan manner.  The governor of Arizona is now free to appoint someone to fill McCain's seat.  This person will work to push the Orange Ass agenda.  

Apparently the governor might be thinking of appointing Cindy McCain in his place. 

• Upvote 12

12 hours ago, PumaLover said:

My brother in law just told me the news. 

My dad served in Vietnam with him and remembers the USS Forrestal incident. Last month we visited the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola, which contains the USS Forrestal memorial. I had not heard details of it and found the memorial and information very moving. I grew up in a Navy family and have nothing but utmost respect for any military personnel, current or retired.

I am far from sharing Republican ideals but I always had a lot of respect for Senator McCain.  May he rest in peace. 

The Forrestal fire happened on my sister's birthday that year.  I'm not sure exactly when the families of the men on the ship was notified or it if was on the news, but I do remember a day of my parents acting very odd.  I was about 8 at the time and my parents did not talk about it to us then.  They probably didn't want to worry us.  But later I realized that what I was seeing in them was fear for the life of their eldest child.

13 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

I am inclined to believe the Ooompa Loompa is the JRod of the political world. We wait/watch in horror over the next thing he says or does....every day. 

How low will Cheeto go?

The idiot in office is likely to take that as a challenge.  There is no telling how low he will go.

I sincerely hope that he stays away from the funeral.  It's probably too much to hope for that he will keep his ignorant mouth shut.

Obama's statement was very classy and a perfect example of what a statement of condolence should be.  But then he has more class in his little finger than what the idiot in office has.

I have not had a chance to talk to my brother yet to see what he says.  I'm sure it will be positive towards McCain.

• Upvote 10

In watching the news coverage of McCain's life, I found out that he was a voracious reader, constantly reading even during the last part of his life.

Admirable, and probably contributed to his understanding of people, including those he didn't necessarily agree with.

• Upvote 12

I'm very grateful to see that Barack Obama and George W. Bush will be eulogizing McCain, in the bipartisan support he inspired. I know that Obama's eulogy will be inspiring, articulate, eloquent, and heartfelt, and I think W. will do a good, heartfelt job as well, if his tweet about McCain's death is any indication.

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 1

15 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Gracious words from a real president and gentleman:

Class, character, dignity.  THIS is how the President of the United States is SUPPOSED to act!

I didn't agree with McCain on most of his politics, and didn't appreciate his part in escalating whacko Sarah Palin to the national stage, (although I'm sure his advisors had a great deal to do with that), BUT, that being said, he was an honest-to-God American patriot who "more than self his country loved."   Unlike the orange, narcissistic, greedy, incompetent, misogynistic, racist bigoted shithead who is now occupying the Oval Office.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6

To me, McCain was an American hero, and I respected him even though I didn't agree with him politically. He was the last Republican who put service to country before party loyalty, even if it meant getting completely trashed by Mango Mussolini.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

Sen. John McCain to lie in state. Here's what that means

Sen. John McCain, whose more than three-decade career in the Senate irreversibly impacted the tenor of Washington, will lie in state in the US Capitol this week, an honor given to few statesmen.

McCain, who served in Congress and the military as a Navy pilot and is remembered as a war hero after surviving more than five years as a prisoner of war in Vietnam, will lie in state and will also have memorial services at the National Cathedral and in Annapolis, Maryland, a Republican with knowledge of the plans told CNN.

Lying in state, according to the Architect of the Capitol, is an honor reserved for "government officials and military officers" and involves laying the casket of the deceased in the Rotunda of the US Capitol, where the public can come and offer final respects.

"These occasions are either authorized by a congressional resolution or approved by the congressional leadership, when permission is granted by survivors," the Architect of the Capitol instructs on its website.

Democratic Sen. Daniel Inouye, of Hawaii, was the last lawmaker who received the distinction, in 2012. Prominent private citizens can also be laid in the Rotunda, but they are lain in honor, not in state, as was the case with minister Billy Graham earlier this year.

Others who have lain in state include former Presidents Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, Dwight Eisenhower and Herbert Hoover.

Rosa Parks, one of the most well-recognized figures of the civil rights movement, is the only woman to have lain in either honor or state.

According to the Architect of the Capitol, "since 1865, most services have used the catafalque," or support for the coffin, that was "constructed for the coffin of Abraham Lincoln."

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/08/26/politics/mccain-lain-state-capitol/index.html?__twitter_impression=true

• Upvote 6
  • Love 6