IGNORED

Senator McCain is discontinuing cancer treatments /Senator McCain Passed RIP

47of74

McCain will probably not be with us much longer.

Sen. John McCain, who was diagnosed with brain cancer last year, has made the decision to discontinue medical treatment, his family said in a statement on Friday.

"Last summer, Senator John McCain shared with Americans the news our family already knew: he had been diagnosed with an aggressive glioblastoma, and the prognosis was serious. In the year since, John has surpassed expectations for his survival. But the progress of disease and the inexorable advance of age render their verdict. With his usual strength of will, he has now chosen to discontinue medical treatment," the family of the Arizona Republican said in a statement.

McCain, the 2008 Republican presidential nominee, is a key voice in the Republican Party and an icon of the Senate.

The statement went on to say, "Our family is immensely grateful for the support and kindness of all his caregivers over the last year, and for the continuing outpouring of concern and affection from John's many friends and associates, and the many thousands of people who are keeping him in their prayers. God bless and thank you all."

It wouldn't surprise me if it happens soon.  It didn't take too long after my uncle and his family decided to just focus on keeping him comfortable so they're probably at the same point now. 

Edited by laPapessaGiovanna
Edited title
  • Sad 14

I hope the remainder of his time here is peaceful.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 16

Just coming to post this. So sad. 

I just want orange one to stay out of it, not offer fake condolences, not go near his family, nothing. They deserve better. McCain has a dignity 45 will never, ever be able to grasp (or in his case buy).

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/24/politics/john-mccain-cancer-treatment/index.html

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 6

I may not have always agreed with McCain and may never forgive him for foisting Palin on us, but I always thought he was a decent person trying to do the right thing. I hope what remains of his life is peaceful.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 13
  • Love 4

I’m just waiting for drump to say something horrific. You know he will.

And even degrading a dying war hero won’t offend the right.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 4

Get your tissues out.

You Honored Our Deal, John McCain. I’ll Honor Your Legacy.

Dear Senator McCain,

The news of your imminent departure comes as no surprise given what we know about the disease that is taking you from us. And yet, it still hits on my heart like a ton of bricks.

Not just because of the depth of my respect, reverence and love for you. But because it is dawning on me just how much your voice, clear conscience and moral authority will be missed in the American political arena. There simply is no other John McCain to take your place.

It was the honor of a lifetime to work for you. You always said we should serve a cause greater than ourselves. Thanks to you, for a brief period I did that.

I had come from Bush world, and the team that denied you the presidency. But you never held that against me.

We bonded in the green room of the last presidential debate in 2004, when you hosted President Bush and his team. While we all milled around, I noticed a news story on the television about the selfless soldier Pat Tillman who had left the NFL and a huge salary to serve in the military, and had been killed by friendly fire. His former teammate Jake Plummer had sewn his number onto his jersey in remembrance. The NFL commissioner had come down hard on him, fining him and forcing him to remove the patch. In the news clip, you went off on the commissioner and gave him a classic McCain acid bath.

I approached you, and said, “Senator, I just saw this, and wanted you to know I appreciate what you said. I too am a huge fan of Pat Tillman. So much so that after he died, I wanted to make sure I thought of his sacrifice often. And to ensure that I didn’t forget, I had his number, 40, tattooed on my shoulder.”

You said: “That’s bullshit, McKinnon.” So I stripped down in the middle of the green room. And when you saw the evidence, you teared up, hugged me, and said, “I knew there was a reason I liked you, McKinnon.”

When you asked me to work for your presidential campaign a few years later, I said “Senator, I’ll go mow your lawn in Sedona if that’s what you want.”

I had one caveat. I had met Senator Barack Obama and though I disagreed with much of his politics, I liked him and thought his candidacy would be good for the country. So I told you that, as unlikely as it seemed in early 2007, that I would step out if you and him ended up running against each other in the general election. I just didn’t want to be the tip of the spear attacking Obama, and didn’t think I would be the right person under the circumstances.

I think you thought it odd, but assented, particularly because you didn’t think it would happen. To make sure you remembered, I wrote a memo to the senior staff of the campaign outlining the agreement.

Then I saddled up, and stayed there when the campaign melted down and most of the staff left. There were just a handful of us left, working for free.

Candidly, I stayed on as volunteer not so much with the notion that you could still win the nomination but simply because I respected you so much and wanted to help regain some of the dignity that had been lost due to the humiliating circumstances of going from well-funded, can’t-lose front runner to flat-broke also-ran who’d come in third to Mike Huckabee in Iowa.

Those of us who remained were with you as you marched through New Hampshire, completely broke. I remember staying at the cheapest possible hotels, some of them literally under construction.

And then it happened. You won the nomination. You caught lightning in a bottle through your sheer determination and inspiring message of “Country First.”

And sure enough you had forgotten our deal. So, I brought you the memo. And in classic McCain style, you didn’t get angry, you hugged me and said:

“Thanks for helping me get here. It would be very un-McCain-like not to keep my word, so God bless you and good luck.”

I want you to know, that was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done in my life.  To walk away after all the moments from the campaign that I remember and cherish.

We were flying in a small plane that hit some turbulence, and I was showing some white knuckles. Now most people know about your POW experience, but they don’t know that you ditched other planes. And in one horrific experience, you were in your plane on the deck of the USS Forrestal when a missile went off accidentally from another plane and hit yours. Your plane exploded and you jumped off the wing onto the deck. The fire engulfed the ship, and 134 people were killed. And yet, even though it was your plane that was directly hit, you somehow survived.

So, when I looked pale in the turbulence, you turned to me and said: “McKinnon, don’t worry about it. If you’re flying with McCain, you’re not going to die in a plane.”

But the moment that moved me most was the first time I went out on the trail with you. Because of your lean staff at the time, I was doing everything. Whoever had been with you before I showed up handed me a black bag. I looked inside and saw some basic grooming tools, like a hairbrush. But it was only when we arrived at our campaign stop that I realized the purpose.

We were in a van. And we walked out on the side away from the waiting crowd. And you turned to me, a decorated prisoner-of-war survivor, and bent over at the waist in supplication. And then it dawned on me:

You could not comb your own hair. Because of your arms being repeatedly broken as a POW, you could not raise your arms above your shoulders. Then you turned into the crowd. I turned away with tears in my eyes.

In the coming days there will be countless tributes to the brave political stands you took over the years. Your independence was legendary. While I didn’t always agree with you, there was never a question in my mind that you always did as you pledged you would and indeed put country first.

Though no one can or will take your place, I hope that as the country pays tribute to your incredible legacy others will be inspired to step up and try to be the next John McCain.

Gratefully Yours, McKinnon

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Love 17

My brother served in the Navy and was on the USS Forrestal with McCain.  He said they were not really close friends, but they were on the same ship so they came in contact with each other frequently and they did talk on a few occasions.  My brother, who does not impress easily, said that he always thought McCain was a very nice man, and very dedicated to his oath as a Naval Officer.  I have seen a story about how McCain's negligence caused the fire and explosion on the Forrestal, but per my brother (and he was there and saw what happened and lost friends in the disaster), that story is as far from the truth as it gets.  That story did not actually get publicized until McCain's run for the Presidency and it pops up every so often.

I read his book a few years ago and at one point while he was a POW, he did give in and said he would talk.  But he also recanted that fairly quickly, and I think that is very common when someone is under the torture he suffered so I'm not going to judge him for that.

My thoughts are with him and his family, it has to be a hard situation for them all and mostly for him.  I would think that it might not be too long.

• Upvote 20

Trump avoided national service and has the audacity say shit about McCain, he was captured and tortured I don't blame him for saying he would talk because if I was in his situation, I would have named names before they would have started torturing me.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 12

3 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Sweet Rufus.

Dump is the biggest fucking asshole that ever lived. There is not a shred of decency in his cold fucking heart. Melania must bathe in bleach after touching that fucker. I hate him so much I can hardly hold it in. No class whatsoever. Total piece of shit. And those who support him now are pieces of shit too.

2 hours ago, Destiny said:

God, he’s such a terrible human!

I'm not sure he is human.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 20
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 2

And senator mccain has died. He died about an hour ago. 

We may not have agreed on a lot, but he seemed like a good person who wanted to do the right thing. May he Rest In Peace. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 7
  • Love 21

9 minutes ago, Destiny said:

And senator mccain has died. He died about an hour ago. 

We may not have agreed on a lot, but he seemed like a good person who wanted to do the right thing. May he Rest In Peace. 

He was a man of integrity.

Fair winds and following seas.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 16

He was everything Trump is not. He was one of the few last GOP members who had integrity and wouldn't bow down to Trump. I hope Trump is banned from his funeral. 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 19
  • Love 5

Trump's twitter account has tweeted condolences to Sen. McCain's family.  Yes, I was careful with my phrasing there.  RIP, Sen. McCain. 

• Upvote 18

Trump's twitter account has tweeted condolences to Sen. McCain's family.  Yes, I was careful with my phrasing there.  RIP, Sen. McCain. 

If the Orange Menace wrote that tweet, I’ll eat a pound of ribeye. I hope he has the good sense to stay with that, instead of doing what he always does and undercutting what a staffer writes.
  • Upvote 14

Senator McCain was not of my party, and I often did not agree with his political positions, but he was a true lifelong patriot and willing to step over party lines. He and Kennedy and Biden were dear friends. He has planned for Obama and W to eulogize him and 45 is not invited/welcome to the funeral..

• Upvote 19
  • Love 7

I hope that Trump's fans will leave the McCain family alone and let them grieve in peace.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 4

Trump sending condolences after all the shit he has said about him and his daughter is an insult, he is only saying it to look better. RIP John McCain.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Sweet Rufus.

I am inclined to believe the Ooompa Loompa is the JRod of the political world. We wait/watch in horror over the next thing he says or does....every day. 

How low will Cheeto go?

Edited by MarblesMom
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 11

Gracious words from a real president and gentleman:

• Upvote 2
  • Love 26

I’m actually pretty sad about this. I often disagreed with him, but he served this country with a great amount of dignity, respect, and courage. Not many politicians today can hope to live up to the example he has set. I’m very sorry to see him go and my condolences go out to his family. I very much hope they are allowed to grieve their loss in peace. 

EAF17239-7B9D-454B-812A-C627C5D514D5.thumb.jpeg.a4f63ecbe04ae6ab483c37dd336bb221.jpeg

• Upvote 6
  • Love 24