IGNORED

Josiah and Lauren Part 9: Where Are They Honeymooning?

Coconut Flan

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Marriage......is a blessing. From the Lord. That's what I'd say."

Yeah...

Edit: Okay, seriously, that was even worse than Jessa & Ben's second anniversary vid with the talk of the weather and the face-mashing smooch at the end. I was expecting awkwardness from SiRen -- as I'm sure everyone was -- but did they watch that video back at all? I seriously just plugged my earphones into my computer in order to hear poor Lauren. Is she normally that mousy-sounding? I should be cringing because they're giggly and staring at each other and fondling each others' hands, not because they've barely mustered up the energy and smiles to film their obligatory post-nuptial, possibly pre-honeymoon 30-second video.

They're married! This is what they've been literally trained to live up to! They should be at the point of trying to give marriage advice to their siblings already! Something feels wrong.

@Pecansforeveryone I grew up 15-20 minutes from "The Historic Triangle", and Busch Gardens, 45 min from VaBeach (depending on HRBT traffic). We used to have season's passes to Busch, we'd go, ride coasters and go home (free parking!!). HATE Water Country. Got dragged to one of the Historic Triangle places every damn year for a school field trip or to Mt. Vernon, Monticello or some bullshit. On my list of places I never, ever want to go ever again. Now I live in another "vacation mecca" and you don't have enough money to force me to the strip!! 

My bucket list involves EVERY NASA center (except Langley), the Grand Canyon, and visiting my son in NorCal, and possibly a trip to put my feet in the Pacific ocean just to say I did, oh, and Spacefest in Tucson...

Being used to your surroundings: I live in London. My friend (who is from Bulgaria) stayed with me for 10 days the summer after our first year at university. She was honestly surprised that I didn’t go into central London all the time (I live in a suburb). 

My family took a lot of road trips and camped when I was growing up (with 5 kids, camping was the way to afford traveling). I've stayed in quite a few national and state parks over the years and always loved how different each park was (even ones right next to each other like Yellowstone and Grand Teton). I really appreciate that my parents made it a priority to do a big road trip every few years. And we traveled a lot to northern Minnesota to visit my dad's family, so I never felt like we didn't travel. 

Since I've been married, we haven't really been on any vacations (besides trips to visit my extended family a few hours north). In just over 5 years of marriage, my husband has been out of work at least part of every year, through no fault of his own (contract work is the absolute worst, let me tell you!). I'm crossing my fingers that this current job (no more contract work!) of his keeps him on for a loooong time!

My mother-in-law recently mentioned wanting to go on a big family trip to Norway in a few years. I told my husband I'm not going on an international vacation with his family - way too exhausting - and we haven't even taken a domestic vacation with them yet! We're hoping to do a super chill getaway with his parents and brother to the North Shore (in Minnesota) next summer. My MIL is one of those plan every single second types who wants to constantly be doing something on vacation - I told my husband that we are going to do ONE thing a day, if that, and that every activity needs to be optional. My health and energy don't do well with constant go-go-go. I love to sit by a camp fire and toast marshmallows and look for agates along the lake shore, or sit and drink tea and listen to the nature sounds. 

We also bought a house very quickly at the end of 2015, so between stretches of unemployment and fixing things on our house, we don't have a huge budget for travel. We just were able to go back to the B&B we stayed at for our honeymoon this year - it's about half an hour away from our home in a cute riverside town. My travel goals right now are to go back next year hopefully and stay in the B&B's newest room (it has a giant window seat that fits two, and we love to sit together and read).

I also have chronic health issues that make airplane travel super frustrating and draining (no, I can't take off the leg braces that make it possible for me to walk, Mr. TSA agent). I prefer road trips and have so many places I want to see in the USA that I don't have a huge desire to travel overseas (I'll make an exception for Ireland someday). I think jet lag would be very difficult for me to adjust to, since even losing an hour or two of sleep just absolutely exhausts me and throws me off for days. 

Thankfully, we're both homebodies and absolutely LOVE having people come over and hosting fun things like game nights! We're pretty much going to be the home that both of our families will come to for holidays in the future. I love hosting, and if I get tired, I can just go put my feet up and chill or change clothes into something more comfortable if need be. Every single piece of furniture in our house is comfy and I have soft throw blankets to curl up in in every single room (each couch has its own blanket!). We're saving up to renovate parts of our house to make it even more conducive to hosting big groups (we want to knock down the wall between the kitchen and living room next). 

Attached picture of the window seat at the B&B, because, how cozy does that look?!

Solarium.4.jpg

Yeesh that video. I won't call them as bad as the Dillwanks but that was so awkward. 

That sigh she makes! And then a different sigh at 24 seconds. I'm really not criticizing her -- I'm sure I'd find it weird to do a video like this too -- but it all adds to the overall awkward vibe. I mean, if they were actors and trying to make this video seem as awkward as possible I'd say it was masterfully done.

And none of them sound at all original when they start talking about how the Lord has brought them together and how marriage is a blessing from God. I'm sure they believe it, but when they repeat the exact same phrases over and over it just doesn't sound genuine.

That video.........so much wtf.

Those sighs...??

The weird lack of enthusiasm.....???

Josiah's trying-too-hard "marriage is a BLESSinG!!1!"....................???????

Are we just reading too much into this? Because they seem SO weird together.

Lauren reminds me of Priscilla Waller. :( 

I touched on this a little bit in my last comment, but what bothers me the absolute most about the video is how it seems like they're trying to be excited, but...aren't. For some reason. Especially Lauren. Why?

:(

I hope I'm just reading too much into it and they just got done with a long (hopefully fun!) day doing something and then got some notification from TLC that they needed to do a video and didn't bother to watch it afterwards before posting it.

7 minutes ago, bananabread said:

Are we just reading too much into this?

I mean, the answer to that question here is usually yes. :pb_lol:

But it is weird. And I notice Lauren seems a lot less enthusiastic than she did in previous videos. Hopefully it's nothing, or she's just tired, but I don't know why no one noticed how awkward the video comes off before they posted it online.

12 hours ago, Quiver Full of Kittens said:

Mr. Kittens and I had very different childhoods in regard to this. His family is very much wealthy. My family was middle class, lower middle class during hard times. I went on one true vacation when I was ten. Otherwise it was trips to my grandmas. It was fine by me because I adored her and I didn’t know any different. As an adult, I stated out of college making next to nothing, and moved on to a job that makes more, but not enough for a lot of “extras”

Same! For like the first two years we were together I kept having these moments where I was going "you've been to Morocco? When? How??" And he's like "oh, I never mentioned it?" Or once I mentioned that I'd never driven in a convertible, and he goes "seriously? Didn't you ever get upgraded when your family rented cars on vacation?" Uhh, why would we rent a car when we already had a Chevy Nova and we were only going to Grandma's house?

1 hour ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I am sorry to hear about your car troubles in Utah. Sheesh, those questionable mechanics. I'm reminded of the car trouble scene in Family Vacation. Yes, it happened outside Monument Valley, Utah. Yes, they ended up emptying their wallets for four bald tires. 

That's right it did! We've joked that maybe it was voodoo put on us since its always Utah or maybe witchcraft not sure by who since it was never the same city or mechanics. Or maybe we passed a black cat crossing the Utah border or broke glass that made our bad luck always having car problems in Utah. 

Head shaking at the moment. What? Is? Up? What happened to the smug having alot to say, young dude? Well, we all have seen 2 not so vibrant videos. The rehersal pics were alot more happy. Not saying they are not happy at the moment. Just...maybe stressed for some reason.   

55 minutes ago, MarbleRainbow said:

My MIL is one of those plan every single second types who wants to constantly be doing something on vacation

Yes, this is important when traveling with others!  Make sure everyone understands everyone's limits for activities!

Mr MM and I went to Hawaii with his cousin and wife, who kept us in the car 12 hours a day because they had to see EVERYTHING.  

Finally, I was done, and stayed at the condo and read.  

I wanted beach time, and since the other 3 weren't beach people, I got one hour the entire week.

I would rather travel alone than with peeps who are not in my groove for the trip  :)

I'm so confused that we have still seen so little of this wedding. Looks like we're definitely not getting a People spread, but then why are they so stingy with wedding pictures? There's not a single photo of the wedding party (and not even any info on who was in their wedding party) so far. What's going on?

3 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I'm so confused that we have still seen so little of this wedding. Looks like we're definitely not getting a People spread, but then why are they so stingy with wedding pictures? There's not a single photo of the wedding party (and not even any info on who was in their wedding party) so far. What's going on?

I'm guessing someone in the lineup is obviously pregnant and doesn't want us to know.

23 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

Head shaking at the moment. What? Is? Up? What happened to the smug having alot to say, young dude? Well, we all have seen 2 not so vibrant videos. The rehersal pics were alot more happy. Not saying they are not happy at the moment. Just...maybe stressed for some reason.   

Like...having to make a video of you and your new spouse that you know will be scrutinized in minutia on the internet? Something stressful like that? :pb_lol:

I really don't think of myself as someone with a one track mind, but every time one of these couples do a post-wedding thank you all I can hear them saying is "Hi, it's us again, but now we're boning!". It's not something I want to think, and it's not something I think at weddings IRL ( including several Mormon wedding receptions, so no premarital adult sleepovers for those couples either). Ugh.

Lauren looks and sounds like she's moments away from crying to me. The pained smile she forces when she says they're looking forward to sharing lots of exciting memories with everyone... I can feel the sadness after watching that.

For those who don't want to watch the video, this is the expression I'm referring to:

Spoiler

painedsmile.thumb.png.00d13bdc397e0532f461b2e86a3efa21.png

9 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

Yes, this is important when traveling with others!  Make sure everyone understands everyone's limits for activities!

Yes! This is very important. My family is one of those must-see-everything families when we travel - at Walt Disney world we are in the first bus out and last bus back - once my sisters and I were literally the last guests to leave Studios! At the beach we spend mornings on the beach, but after lunch we are out somewhere, and play mini golf every night. My sisters and I used to have a camper, and the microwave still had the packaging material in it when we sold it because we literally only used it to sleep. Others get exhausted and irritated traveling with us if they don’t know what to expect, and we get super frustrated traveling with people who want to sleep late and take forever to get moving.

I usually come back from all trips except the beach pretty exhausted, but that’s ok. I can sleep at home and sit at my desk at work. I want - maybe need - to see and do things when I’m traveling. It’s my creativity recharger, since I have to be creative on demand at work. 

I’m going to be down voted to Hell. But I can’t control the random thoughts that go through my head. She seems like the fundie version of the crazy woman who married Unlce Fester in the Addam Family movie. Just the voice and the stare. It could just be getting used to the cameras. Just a quick trip inside my crazy head before bedtime. 

My goodness, I haven’t seen newlyweds that awkward since the Wallers. But newlywed awkwardness aside, the Wallers seem to have settled into each other and now seem to be on the happier side of fundie marriages. I hope Siah and Lauren do the same. 

I also got a vibe that she was crying before but it could just be awkwardly filming?

Also, they kept doing that adoring gaze on cue and it was so painful.

I think she is reading or trying to remember talking points and panicking about forgetting her lines? That might be part of the awkward. Being 19 and creating a video for the first time that you know will be watched by thousands of people has got to be scary. But it's also true that they don't seem to be helping each other through it so much as fake it till you make it, (or at least abysmally try to fake it)...

It's got to be stressful if this thing that you we're told would just be magically wonderful in the first few weeks is difficult. Maybe she's really homesick, maybe they aren't getting along that well, maybe intimacy isn't going well...there are so many potential sources of awkward. I hope eventually they learn to get along well as friends at least. It's gonna be a long life together...

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived