IGNORED

Kendra, Joe and Garrett Duggar, Part 10

Jellybean

46 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Could be.

I do that, sometimes with pain but particularly with anxiety. I have to remind myself to breathe in those times. I think it's not an uncommon coping mechanism.

I pass out from extreme pain. The last time in happened - I was able to tell the person doing the procedure "You have to stop for a second - I'm going to pass out." and then I was able to come back. So I don't think I'm holding my breath - but - it's just my body's way of going "nope - not cool."

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, pandora said:

Question for people who've given birth, do hospitals tend to require you to be wearing a hospital gown while laboring? From the pics Kendra's double layered hospital gowns for full coverage don't look that comfortable, I'd think if she had a choice she'd be wearing a comfy nightgown or something, but as someone who'd never had a kid I'm surprised she'd be required to be in a gown if she didn't even get an epidural. 

I have no clue. I was 34 weeks pregnant when I was admitted due to pretty intense vomiting (among other unpleasant symptoms) and the plan was to get me fluids and monitor the baby. I ended up just wearing hospital gowns until I was discharged three days later. The hospital gowns made all the stuff they had to do much easier and I felt more comfortable wearing them then I would have been in the clothes I wore there. I just made sure to wear the knee length robe* I brought with me when I wanted to visit the baby in NICU or get out of bed - I didn’t have to worry about flashing anyone that way. 

*The robe was my sister’s suggestion. Her son was in NICU for half a day after his birth due to a bit of fluid in his lungs and she was so intent on seeing him that she charged through the hospital in her hospital gown. Her husband was running behind her desperately holding the gown closed the entire time so she wouldn’t flash anyone. She made sure to tell me to pack a robe in my bag just in case something like that happened. 

35 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I had a hospital gown on for both births, it was comfortable.

It also fell off constantly and I was mostly naked during both labors. I really didn't care, I wasn't focused on what I was wearing. 

Actually, childbirth was the first time ever I could not give less of shit that strangers saw me naked. 

My cousin told me after she had her son that you tend to lose any modesty you had after giving birth. That was definitely true for me, though I have mostly defaulted back to my normal level of modest now. 

(But seriously. Nothing will kill your modesty and embarrassment faster than passing out a few hours after having a baby and coming into and out of consciousness to find a dozen medical professionals you don’t know working on your naked body to make sure you’re ok. Fun times, fun times.)

I think the loss of modesty can happen with a lot of medical procedures. I was lying half naked in the ER getting an ECG once when this other nurse pulled back the curtain, saw me, and immediately closed it again saying, "Oh, sorry!!! Sorry!!!" I was just lying there like, "What? This other woman I've never met in my life is already looking at my boobs, what do I care if you have a peak too?"

I feel the same way at the doctor when they do the breast exam - they have me slip one arm out of the gown, then put it back in, slip the other arm out - for what? To preserve some conceit of modesty? While they're squeezing my boobs? I'm always lying there thinking, "What's the point of this, seriously? Wouldn't it be easier if I was just naked the entire time? You're a doctor, I'm sure you've seen it all!"

8 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I think the loss of modesty can happen with a lot of medical procedures. I was lying half naked in the ER getting an ECG once when this other nurse pulled back the curtain, saw me, and immediately closed it again saying, "Oh, sorry!!! Sorry!!!" I was just lying there like, "What? This other woman I've never met in my life is already looking at my boobs, what do I care if you have a peak too?"

I feel the same way at the doctor when they do the breast exam - they have me slip one arm out of the gown, then put it back in, slip the other arm out - for what? To preserve some conceit of modesty? While they're squeezing my boobs? I'm always lying there thinking, "What's the point of this, seriously? Wouldn't it be easier if I was just naked the entire time? You're a doctor, I'm sure you've seen it all!"

You’re right. Giving birth is just the first time I personally did not care about who saw what. I was too focused on my baby to care about modesty at that point. I’ve always been fairly self conscious and modest though, so having someone besides myself to really focus on probably contributed to my lack of modesty quite a bit. But yes, experiences will definitely vary based off the person.

38 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Ok but can we talk about the shirt Kendra’s wearing?

wtf is this lmao

9F45BBF1-60AE-40C5-A999-1A7175DBD6BE.png

I get what the joke is supposed to be; I think the manufacturers didn't take into consideration what their shirt might look like on people who were groomed by a cult to become a Teen Helpmeet.

Since childbirth can result in an emergency situation rather rapidly at times, it's easier for hospital personnel if the laboring woman is in a hospital gown.  In case of a crash section it also means you won't lose your own gown to being cut off.  I've known two or three people who made their own hospital gowns out of material of their choosing.  

36 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

You’re right. Giving birth is just the first time I personally did not care about who saw what. I was too focused on my baby to care about modesty at that point. I’ve always been fairly self conscious and modest though, so having someone besides myself to really focus on probably contributed to my lack of modesty quite a bit. But yes, experiences will definitely vary based off the person.

I don't wanna get into all the shot I've done while drunk but let's just say I have no problem with people seeing me naked.... my doctor kept trying to cover me up with blankets when I wasn't pushing (she was trying to be nice) but I was sweating and hotter than the devils balls and I told her if I could have less clothes on right now I would.... I only had a bralette type thing on. She looked really surprised. She's been an OB for 20 years though so I thought it was strange she was surprised. She's very into attempting to keep people's dignity in tact while pregnant though she works with a lot of sexual trauma survivors, which is also why I picked her.

Absolutely.When I had my babies,I wasn't worried about modesty.I was in pain and focused on my baby.

But,when I had my radiation treatments for breast cancer.First,they had to make all these measurements and markings.Then one radiologist was male...so when I came in and he was there,I had to lie on the table with my left breast fully exposed..to a guy.Not that he was interested or anything..lol.I just felt self-conscious and uncomfortable.

But I have I friend,and she insisted on female OB-Gyns..she said she didn't want different men seeing her equipment.Mr Melon scoffed at that one.

@DillyDally Well, Michelle was pregnant the same time as Anna for one grandchild, and maybe was for Jubilee as well, so one baby is definitely not out of the realm of possibility. An "extra-special" fundie mom achievement I think is having TWO more kids during the grandchildren season of life. Christina is only 39 so she could get there, but if they've never been preventing (and I do have questions about that even though Kendra has said "however many God gives us") then they aren't as fertile as the Duggars/Bates and it will be anyone's guess as to whether or not they have a 9th. 

(The Caldwells had kids born in 1998, 2000, 2004, 2006/7, 2008/9, 2010/2011, and 2014/2015. Their current youngest, #7, is 3 or 4 years old. I wonder if they thought they were done with that season of life? Though they do have several gaps of 4 years.) 

Also, I'm very glad that Kendra and Christina knew Kendra's tendency to hold her breath during pain and planned on a hospital birth so she didn't pass out without medical personnel around. Michelle had hospital births so I just don't understand the Duggar daughters' insistence on home births, even when dangerous. 

@neurogirl  Likely because none of Michelle's sisters was a "qualified" midwife.   How could they have said to Jill, favoured daughter. 

Maybe it's a younger generation thing too, in fundie circles.  Anna's sister seems to be on her own having kids in Africa, midwife maybe if she's lucky. 

I just watched the videos too (first time TLC let me, lol), and I thought Joe was super sweet during the whole thing. I'm glad it looks like she got the birth she wanted (I know, healthy baby and all that, but not having the birth you wanted/imagined can be difficult), and everyone is home and healthy

5 hours ago, beepy13 said:

I can't imagine my mother having a kid AFTER I had one.

"Everyone, this is my son - he's 5 years old. And here he is holding my newborn sister!"

My family is not religious at all, however, my grandmother was a freak of nature and my Aunt is 3 years younger than me.  

We grew up more like cousins. My Grandmother was 50 years old when she had her, she had 2 grown children so nothing to indicate super fertility! 

7 hours ago, justodd said:

We were pretty much all bedspreads, all the time, until I was in high school. I don’t remember exactly when I got my first comforter, or why mom changed her mind, but I do know that I thought it was an improvement. I always hated the flimsy bedspread over a non-snuggly blanket combo, so comforters seemed downright luxurious! I never even heard of a duvet cover until I was nineteen, but I’ve preferred using them over not for quite a while, now. When I was getting ready to renew the lease on my current apartment for the first time, I decided to take a chance and “properly decorate” for the first time. I’ve moved around a lot, so I never really saw a point in investing a lot of time/money in that area. (It was kind of scary, buying actual furniture and painting walls!) One of my favorite choices was/is a black velvet duvet cover, and I have two comforters that I swap in and out, depending on the weather. I used to get annoyed by the corners migrating, but a few safety pins solves the problem. I just make sure they’re pinned inside, so there’s less chance of coming undone or poking me as I sleep. I’ve had it for almost three years now, and I still smile every time I flop against it. So soft, so cuddly, so hard to make myself leave!

E0189DA1-3D96-40DD-AA84-19D34809DAA7.jpeg

Are you ME?!?!?! Haha I have the same desk next to my bed (love it!) and that is exactly where one of my fans is....right at the foot of my bed!!! I think we might be long lost twins!!!!

I'm only about 6 minutes into the first video, but I want to point this out: In addition to planning a hospital birth, Kendra also seems to have gotten proper prenatal care. She was just mentioning in a TH that if they're not heading to the hospital over night, they will be going in to see her doctor in the morning to check how far she's progressed. So glad she wasn't dealing with half-assed pseudo-midwives!!

I just watched the video, I wanted her to get an epidural! I was getting anxious thinking she was going to pass out.

I wonder if it was her parents that were like "nah girl you're going to get real prenatal care" or was it Joe being like "soooo seeing my sister's births just really makes me want you to get legitimate health care".

Ideally it would be a decision she and Joe made together, with her as the primary decision maker considering that she was the one actually giving birth.

3 hours ago, kiwi said:

Does anyone have a non tlc version of the videos, cant watch without a subscription here in NZ... wah! 

It’s usually up on Youtube within two weeks and then removed after another week so we’ll just have to keep eachother updated here if it comes along. 

3 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

It’s usually up on Youtube within two weeks and then removed after another week so we’ll just have to keep eachother updated here if it comes along. 

I cheated, found an ip hider lol! 

From watching I would guess that the footage at the big house and putting the sign up at the house was staged footage and filmed well after - hence the “oh hes here” dull answers to Jessa’s text. Considering we know the wedding shower took place the same day... and the lack of signs, people, decorations and food at the house...?!? Just my non-fbi opinion lol! 

I do feel for her a lot of what was shown wasnt necessary.

Why not show...

a nursery tour?? 

the baby shower??

getting the house ready??

I feel the quickness to get the footage out there isn’t measuring up to the previous birth episodes. Izzy’s was what 2+ hours long? Spurgeon’s about half that, Giddeon’s was a tlc-go episode too from memory - which wasnt long at all. I guess the same can be said for the wedding episodes too. They do a quick edit and get the footage out FAST before interest fades. 

1 hour ago, kiwi said:

I cheated, found an ip hider lol! 

From watching I would guess that the footage at the big house and putting the sign up at the house was staged footage and filmed well after - hence the “oh hes here” dull answers to Jessa’s text. Considering we know the wedding shower took place the same day... and the lack of signs, people, decorations and food at the house...?!? Just my non-fbi opinion lol! 

I do feel for her a lot of what was shown wasnt necessary.

Why not show...

a nursery tour?? 

the baby shower??

getting the house ready??

I feel the quickness to get the footage out there isn’t measuring up to the previous birth episodes. Izzy’s was what 2+ hours long? Spurgeon’s about half that, Giddeon’s was a tlc-go episode too from memory - which wasnt long at all. I guess the same can be said for the wedding episodes too. They do a quick edit and get the footage out FAST before interest fades. 

Izzy’s was long, but a huge chunk of it was recaps of prior births. According to those who watched it at the time, the portions about Jill were kind of disjointed and edited oddly. 

As for Jessa having Spurgeon, I’d guess they were already planning to turn the three specials into a regular series at that point. I’d bet they gave those three episodes more attention to help interest potential viewers.

16 hours ago, pandora said:

Question for people who've given birth, do hospitals tend to require you to be wearing a hospital gown while laboring? From the pics Kendra's double layered hospital gowns for full coverage don't look that comfortable, I'd think if she had a choice she'd be wearing a comfy nightgown or something, but as someone who'd never had a kid I'm surprised she'd be required to be in a gown if she didn't even get an epidural. 

It varies:

At the hospital I gave birth to my first at they did require a gown.

For my third and fourth births I gave birth at an alternative birth center (hospital affiliated and actually down the hallway from the regular L&D.) At the ABC I labored and gave birth entirely naked. For the fourth birth I did wear my sports bra. I know it might sound odd but it’s very common at the ABC and nobody cared. I labored a lot in the shower and tub and it would’ve been so uncomfortable wearing clothes in there.

I was handed the green robes (2) the minute we got to the room :(. I also have no modesty since childbirth. Was never super uptight about it but since 7 interns,three docs and 50 nurses have seen all my business... I’m pretty open now!

Childbirth is messy.  I’d rather have my all the messy stuff stain a hospital gown than something of my own that I paid for.  My sister in law bought these custom and expensive nightgowns to wear while in labor.  She did not appreciate me pointing out that she was probably going to ruin at least one of them.

ETA:  I did bring nightgowns and a robe to wear during my hospital stay post birth.  With my oldest, I had to wear a nightgown the whole time because I had some TMI issues that needed regular monitoring down there.  With my second, I was allowed to wear sweatpants for the bulk of my stay in the hospital once the doctor checked me and found no issues.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived