IGNORED

Bro. Gary Hawkins 6: Dancing Cocktail Weenies

Jellybean

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?  I have that cookbook (except it doesn't say "new")!  I received it as a wedding gift many moons ago.  It's still my go-to for meatloaf and spaghetti sauce.  :)  

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, pamplemousse said:

Don't be so sure about him not selling food.  There may well be a camping stove and refrigerator in that RV... *urp*

You know how he could really clean up?  By selling PeptoBismol as dessert---that's the real pink drink!

9 hours ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?  I have that cookbook (except it doesn't say "new")!  I received it as a wedding gift many moons ago.  It's still my go-to for meatloaf and spaghetti sauce.  :)  

A house we rent for the weekend up in the local mountains has the original in the kitchen.  I was so excited to see it and read it!  I thought it funny to see MSG mentioned as something to be used.  Definitely not in the new version, I'm sure!  Well, I'm assuming but wouldn't be surprised if left out now.

19 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

A house we rent for the weekend up in the local mountains has the original in the kitchen.  I was so excited to see it and read it!  I thought it funny to see MSG mentioned as something to be used.  Definitely not in the new version, I'm sure!  Well, I'm assuming but wouldn't be surprised if left out now.

I have a recipe for garlic salad dressing that calls for MSG.  I went and bought some Accent (pure MSG!) and added the called-for teaspoon.  That dressing was delicious, but sheesh, the crazy no-ending nightmares it gave me for a few days.  I tossed the stuff; later, I read that MSG is a neurotoxin in large-ish doses. 

1 hour ago, Granwych said:

I have a recipe for garlic salad dressing that calls for MSG.  I went and bought some Accent (pure MSG!) and added the called-for teaspoon.  That dressing was delicious, but sheesh, the crazy no-ending nightmares it gave me for a few days.  I tossed the stuff; later, I read that MSG is a neurotoxin in large-ish doses. 

Yes,  I get headaches, rosy cheeks and heart flutters from it.  Makes stuff taste better, like more of a *pop* but, one of the worst things to put in our bodies!

I don’t understand the culinary or aesthetic reasoning behind making them stick up like that.

It looks like a Halloween thing.  Like gross finger gruel.  That I would totally eat.   :violence-swords:

The Harvesting of the Weens would make a good thread title.

OK folks, I hope y'all had a blessed weekend in the LORT and plenty of mid-century meaty good eats. (LOVE old cookbooks!)

I just had to share some news with those of you who were following my neighbor drama. (For those who haven't, we live in the middle of nowhere in the mountains and a family moved into the house up the hill from us. Dude be crazy and he had to have been off some meds. He would go on screaming rampages and there was likely a major DV issue going on. Screamed at my  neighbor for a good hour, then came around in his van to confront him and stopped at my property. I felt threatened to the point that I called 911 and loaded my rifle.)

Turns out that the night the sheriff's helicopter was circling over me (as I cleared brush from my mountainside) Crazy Dude had threatened to kill the neighbors' dog. He and his little girl were over there and he was screaming at the barking dog to shut up. Apparently the lady and little girl left that night and haven't been back, and I'm thankful for that, especially for the poor little girl's sake.

Anyway… Crazy Dude and roommate moved out this weekend. Praise Rufus, hallaluyer and Haymayun! I can now feel pretty safe to walk around my property, let my dogs run, and not have to worry about randomly being shot. I hope he moves far, far away from any neighbors and never comes back here.

In sad news, my above ground pool has sprung a leak and I'm pretty bummed about it. Maybe I can start a pool ministry–I can float around in my inner tube with my beer, sharing the good word of Rufus, and I can grift money towards my new pool fund.

2 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I don’t understand the culinary or aesthetic reasoning behind making them stick up like that.

That's because there isn't any reasoning, none at all.  Poor weens look like they're trying to escape.

@PumaLover  Maybe try that *as seen on TV* sealing tape or putty.  Might be at Home Depot.

Hallerfuckinllluer!  The woman and child fled (as they should, go girl.  Stay away! Please.) and neighbor out of your area.  Stay away!  Whew.  Rufus bless.

3 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I bet Freud would have a theory about that.

3 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Ween graveyard?

11 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

2b.jpg

For those who are unfamiliar with the Gallery of Regrettable Food. . .

enjoy

http://lileks.com/institute/gallery/10PM/index.html

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  I LOVE the Lileks site!  If you haven't seen it before, I recommend waiting until you're in a secure place where you can laugh long, hard, and loud with possible tears streaming down your face and beverage-spewing on your screen.

I'm just going to leave this here.

(Keep in mind that this is a Weight Watchers recipe from 1974.)

vintagerecipecards.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/crown_roast_of_frankfurters.jpg

Weight Watchers had a lot of cringeworthy recipes back in the day, judging from what I've seen in their old cookbooks.  Between all of those and (at one time) mandating that followers eat liver once a week, no wonder people lost weight on it...because they couldn't stand to eat.

Was it here that someone linked to the 70s dinner party twitter account? I don't remember how I stumbled across this. 

If not, here it is.   Be warned, it's not appetizing:

https://twitter.com/70s_party?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Here's an example that gives you an idea of the contents without actually forcing you to look at a picture of the finish product:

@Georgiana I was just running out of reading material, but that should keep me going (and distracted!) for a while. What were they thinking with those recipes (and what was the obsession with mayonnaise)?!? 

1 hour ago, Lillymuffin said:

@Georgiana I was just running out of reading material, but that should keep me going (and distracted!) for a while. What were they thinking with those recipes (and what was the obsession with mayonnaise)?!? 

The midcentury obsession with "Space Age Foods" was....interesting.  I totally get the excitement surrounding processed food that lasts forever given that it was a major food innovation, but at a certain point things REALLY jumped the shark.  And in this case, I think the shark was molded out of spam and jello with olives and pineapple rings for eyes, pickle triangle teeth, and an iceberg lettuce wedge fin.

I regret writing that.  I thought I was finally done being hungover, but it's way too soon to think about jello-spam sharks.   I don't even know why I thought that would be OK.  Bro Gary could have seen this was a bad plan from all the way over in his camping chair.

I should totally have a 70s style dinner party when I finish with my 70s themed redecorating tho.  

[Quoting @PumaLover] Turns out that the night the sheriff's helicopter was circling over me (as I cleared brush from my mountainside) Crazy Dude had threatened to kill the neighbors' dog. He and his little girl were over there and he was screaming at the barking dog to shut up. Apparently the lady and little girl left that night and haven't been back, and I'm thankful for that, especially for the poor little girl's sake.
Anyway… Crazy Dude and roommate moved out this weekend. Praise Rufus, hallaluyer and Haymayun! I can now feel pretty safe to walk around my property, let my dogs run, and not have to worry about randomly being shot. I hope he moves far, far away from any neighbors and never comes back here.

Thanks for the update. I was wondering what happened. Sounds like the best possible outcome, considering the circumstances.

6 hours ago, Lillymuffin said:

(and what was the obsession with mayonnaise)?!? 

There is still an unhealthy obsession with mayo in the prairie states.  Potato/macaroni salad is pretty much mayo, with a guest appearance of what it is really might be meant to be.

Pic is from lunch last week.  This is standard fare.  

mayo.jpg

10 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

Pic is from lunch last week.  This is standard fare.  

Ah, but are those pickle slices dill pickles, sweet pickles, or bread-and-butter pickles? 

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? the ones in the pic were out of a jar, I am sure.  The missing pickle was a homemade one and it was awesome.

WHY are you missing the mayo swimming pool?!  I thought we were friends  LOL :my_heart:

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived