IGNORED

Baby Vuolo Is a Girl

GnomeCat

12 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

so much pink. Pink is fine but I don't think these people realize there are other colors. 

image.thumb.png.58fa106d059dc8930e68bcfddc5ed52d.png

Its kind of funny though, if that backdrop curtain was white, the pink wouldn't look nearly as overwhelming. But it is a lot of pink on pink on pink.

In JinJer's defense, the shower wasn't planned by them, so we don't know how they would have decorated for a girl shower themselves.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, asking a recent a acquaintance about their legal name is tacky (and potentially transphobic) but not really in the same way as asking about religion/politics/etc. It's just one of those annoying things that most people probably get asked far too often, like "how's the weather?!" If they're very tall or "what do your tattoos mean??!"  (I have a little bias on that last one). It's just not a fun question after the 1000th time.

But on that note, I truly wish people talked about religion/politics/money more often. I think the world would be a better place. Being against ever asking about them sort of an antiquated, authoritarian attitude to me. Who gets to decide whether discussion of how to pay a bill at a restaurant is about "money?" Or whether a local shop getting new ownership is "political?" There's some perspective calling the shots for everyone there, and to me, that's not cool.

I always try to be respectful and premise potentially awkward questions politely, but that's just my two cents.

3 hours ago, pandora said:

Really? I think however someone spells their kid's name generally just tells you... how they want that name to be spelled. I think it's too bad if someone makes life harder for a kid by giving them tons of unnecessary letters or confusing swaps, but how many Elizabyyytheees do you know? I've met plenty of kids with creative spellings, and most of them are something like Dontay, or Juliauna. Not the most common version of a name but picked to help people pronounce it the way the parents intended or liked the look of. And the thing is, little Juliauna was gonna have to spell out her name for people no matter how traditionally it was spelled- it could be Juliana or Julianna or Giulianna. What names/ spellings are considered normal change over time, and some names we consider standard now are actually bastardizations of past names. I feel like people get their backs up about creative names by looking at a few really altered examples, but most non-standard spellings are pretty self-explanatory. Naming your kid something relatively unique or spelling a name a new way is as old a tradition as written language.

I get it, we all make snap judgements, but sometimes ya gotta talk back to yourself about them. I try to presume people give their kids names they like and thought about. As with a lot of things, taste can vary so much!

Personally, I think it is very self centered to creatively spell another's name- I know some people do not have the ability to feel empathy, so there's that element of society, but barring that limitation, I do not understand why a parent would saddle their kid with a spelling that would forever be spelled incorrectly. My name last name has an '- do you know what a PITA that little ' can be??? 

The only way I can reconcile saddling a child like that is the fact that names and spellings are very easily changed- of course adding an additional hassle, but it is a solvable problem.

You want to fly your creative name flag, change the spelling (or your name) of YOUR name. Then you get to deal with the hassles.

42 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

so much pink. Pink is fine but I don't think these people realize there are other colors. 

image.thumb.png.58fa106d059dc8930e68bcfddc5ed52d.png

When my GD was born, she was the first girl to be born in my family since my daughter, 27 years before her. In between, there were 6 grandsons. I am also an only daughter, so a very boy dominant family. My parents, went out to buy their baby GGD a little dress and my mom had a blue dress in her hand and my dad said, "NO, pink...." I think he was just tired of all the blue in his life-

20 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

LOL - I actually knew a woman whose given name (birth certificate proven) was Baby.

Just like on Jane the Virgin!  One of the characters named their daughter Baby.

15 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Personally, I think it is very self centered to creatively spell another's name- I know some people do not have the ability to feel empathy, so there's that element of society, but barring that limitation, I do not understand why a parent would saddle their kid with a spelling that would forever be spelled incorrectly. My name last name has an '- do you know what a PITA that little ' can be??? 

You want to fly your creative name flag, change the spelling (or your name) of YOUR name. Then you get to deal with the hassles.

I understand what a struggle it can be when someone makes a choice you dont agree with, and your worry for a child affected by that choice, so I'm hearing you there. But it's a huge leap to go from "that person named their kid something I think is ridiculous" to "maybe they are incapable of empathy." My point was (hopefully I can make it clearer here!), I think it's a fair assumption that the vast majority of the time parents name their kids with good and thoughtful intentions. Plenty of times when kids end up with an unusual spelling it is no more unusual that already recognized variation among names. The vast majority of us are gonna have to spell our names out fairly often for others, and variation of names over time is the rule, not the exception. I have a common name and it still gets misspelled plenty because there are multiple "right" spellings. If someone wants to name their child Elisabeth (recognized spelling) they shouldn't be forced to choose Elizabeth simply because it's more common. So to me, what's the real difference between those recognized variations and, let's say, Ellizabeth?

Like you, obviously there are names I prefer and others I don't like/ are spelled in a way I find bothersome. But I feel the need to stand up for parents who choose non-standard spellings when there's insinuations that those who choose them are being selfish or uncaring. There's a million small debates that could be less contentious if we could all recognize that someone choosing something we wouldn't pick for ourselves ( or our children) isn't being thoughtless, they just prefer something different than we do.

I love pink, and I love ballet. I wish the backdrop was silver or white, so the ballerinas would stand out more. My sons loved pink, but my daughter only liked hot pink. I think all of them love blue, but I don’t. I think baby showers should use the favorite colors of the parents, and not a color associated with the SAAB. Wouldn’t that make more sense? 

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

My parents, went out to buy their baby GGD a little dress and my mom had a blue dress in her hand and my dad said, "NO, pink...." I think he was just tired of all the blue in his life-

Funny story, I was born in small community hospital and one of many girls born that day.  They ran out of pink blankets by the time I arrived, so I was presented in a blue blanket.   My Mom got a bit worried at first.  

5 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I see 100% nothing wrong with having a plethora of pink for a baby shower (or a plethora of blue).

When the baby is old enough to express a preference (and not simply a fetus in attendance via uterus-owner at a party!!!), then the parents should dial it back if the child doesn't want pink.

I agree! I LOVE pink! My mom being not so girly never got me anything  pink until I had an opinion. It's pretty much what the parents like until they they can talk and or point. If I have a girl it's going to look like princess bubblegum fucked glitter and their baby threw up in my house. That being said I also have a few pink shirts for my son and he has a stuffed kitty that's rainbow colors with pink glittery eyes because he picked it up at the store one day and I liked it too, now he takes it everywhere. ( Both of our families are mortified too lol butbthat just adds to the fun).

Point being though once they care then it matters, before that, picking out what you think it cutest is the reward for never getting to sleep and occasionally being covered in baby spit.:pb_lol: 

1 minute ago, Daisy0322 said:

picking out what you think it cutest is the reward for never getting to sleep and occasionally perpetually being covered in baby spit.:pb_lol: 

FTFY

3 hours ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

I love pink, and I love ballet. I wish the backdrop was silver or white, so the ballerinas would stand out more. My sons loved pink, but my daughter only liked hot pink. I think all of them love blue, but I don’t. I think baby showers should use the favorite colors of the parents, and not a color associated with the SAAB. Wouldn’t that make more sense? 

My sons baby shower was turquoise, red, yellow, orange, and green with a little pink.... Dr. Suess themed but it was very brightly colored and looked very gender neutral because my husband and I picked the colors

IMG_4314.PNG

9 hours ago, pandora said:

And the thing is, little Juliauna was gonna have to spell out her name for people no matter how traditionally it was spelled- it could be Juliana or Julianna or Giulianna.

Yup, and having a traditionally spelled name is not guarantee that you're not going to have to spell your name for people -- a lot. My name is a common one with a traditional spelling  (think: Jane.) There are some creative spelling alternatives for it and I have to spell my name all the time. It's not really not a big deal -- no one can spell my last name either so I just usually say them both and spell them out immediately afterwards.

11 minutes ago, scribble said:

Yup, and having a traditionally spelled name is not guarantee that you're not going to have to spell your name for people -- a lot. My name is a common one with a traditional spelling  (think: Jane.) There are some creative spelling alternatives for it and I have to spell my name all the time. It's not really not a big deal -- no one can spell my last name either so I just usually say them both and spell them out immediately afterwards.

I hate my name and there are so many spellings. I've just become resigned to it and if someone needs to spell my name I just make a game out of if they will get it correct or not. 

At places like Starbucks where someone asks you for your name I tend to shorten mine to a version that I know they won't have to ask to spell. Having to spell your name isn't the worst thing, but I think it's nice when you don't have to spell it.

I have an unusual last name that I always have to spell, but when I went back to where my dad grew up and where someone else with that last name has a locally-known business it was awesome to not have to spell my last name for once.

On 4/11/2018 at 9:38 AM, HereticHick said:

This happens to me sometimes as well. And you know what?-- 90% of the time it is done by a man.

I know that my experience is just one data point, but I've always suspected I am not alone.

I have a name that was extremely common the decade I was born - it's similar to Susan, and was just as popular then. I never went by any nickname, but well over half of the people of both sexes I meet immediately start calling me a nickname like "Susie" which I despise. In my case it's done by both men and women, possibly slightly more women, and I forking HATE it.

Ok, so many things here—I feel like I hit the jackpot in this thread! As I mentioned earlier, my given first name is Elisabeth. With an “s.”  Which is what I always tell people when I have to give my legal first name. That’s not a kre8tyvve spelling, though. It’s the French, German, and multiple other European countries’ spelling. 

I go by a nickname. For the sake of argument, it’s Libby. So after I’ve been introduced by my formal name, I invariably say, “But I go by Libby. No one ever calls me Elisabeth.” I have the opposite problem of others on here; I guess because I don’t use Liz or Beth, no one retains my preferred name and they invariably end up reverting to Elisabeth, which just isn’t me. It’s seriously annoying. 

My parents also blessed me with two middle names, one for each of my grandmothers. So, let’s say I am Elisabeth Lillian Judith Muffin. Great for options, terrible for filling out forms, getting things monogrammed, initialing anything (there’s only ever 3 boxes), or explaining that yes, those are all really my names, and no, I’m not Catholic. 

I had a point when I started this, but it’s late and it kind of got lost along the way.  Tl:Dr is you’re probably damned no matter what you do, so give your kid a name you really love and screw anyone who doesn’t like it.  :text-lol: 

I know it’s super cliche, but I somehow always end up having my name very much  misspelled at Starbucks. Which is a bit funny because I have an extremely common name with essentially only one (widely used) spelling. As in - if my name was Jessica, I get back cups with Jussiqua, Jasseca, and Jesika back. Why? Only the Starbucks Gods know. 

On 4/11/2018 at 2:52 AM, subsaharanafrica said:

I don’t know that this is the case. When last I looked (which is admittedly a few years ago), according to the SSA the name Max is significantly more popular among parents naming boys born in the US than is Maximilian. 

Raising my hand... I have a Max.  We thought about Maxwell and Maximilian but frankly thought both were pretentious and so he's just plain Max.  I've since gotten to know a Maxwell and like it a whole lot better than I did when we were naming our kid, but he's got a longer middle name with nickname options there so I still really like just plain Max.  (He met a kid at camp whose name was Maxx... and thought that was a cooler spelling.... LOL).  

15 hours ago, Peaches1981 said:

My dad’s name is Beverly. He goes by Bev.... Could be that in his day and age (he is 75now) that wasn’t considered a “girl” name, but more likely it was cuz Nanny was nuts ;)

Your father should not introduce himself like that if he ever happens to come to the Netherlands :my_biggrin:

3 hours ago, FundieCentral said:

I know it’s super cliche, but I somehow always end up having my name very much  misspelled at Starbucks. Which is a bit funny because I have an extremely common name with essentially only one (widely used) spelling. As in - if my name was Jessica, I get back cups with Jussiqua, Jasseca, and Jesika back. Why? Only the Starbucks Gods know. 

You know that there is a theory that they do it on purpose right?

My sister has a quite common Dutch name but with a less-common spelling (there are actually two ways to spell it but 80% has one version and 20% the other). Everyone spells her name wrong except for Starbucks :my_biggrin:

ETA: I just checked the exact numbers for my sisters name and it is actually 19,1%. So proud of my correct guessing ;-)

4 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Raising my hand... I have a Max.  We thought about Maxwell and Maximilian but frankly thought both were pretentious and so he's just plain Max.  I've since gotten to know a Maxwell and like it a whole lot better than I did when we were naming our kid, but he's got a longer middle name with nickname options there so I still really like just plain Max.  (He met a kid at camp whose name was Maxx... and thought that was a cooler spelling.... LOL).  

I love Max! I wanted to name our son Maximus but one of my many cousins beat us to it. We all live in a 30 minute radius of each other too so multiple of the same name would be confusing.

@Lillymuffin  my eldest has Elisabeth as her second name, named After her Austrian  great grandmother.  Her first name is After a great great great aunt.  Also a Germanic name and old fashioned.

I’m in love with the name Bea. I don’t know if I will ever get a chance to use it. I have an extremely long name and I would love to have a short version. And honestly, I could of used this as my nickname as a kid. 

11 hours ago, Lillymuffin said:

Ok, so many things here—I feel like I hit the jackpot in this thread! As I mentioned earlier, my given first name is Elisabeth. With an “s.”  Which is what I always tell people when I have to give my legal first name. That’s not a kre8tyvve spelling, though. It’s the French, German, and multiple other European countries’ spelling. 

I go by a nickname. For the sake of argument, it’s Libby. So after I’ve been introduced by my formal name, I invariably say, “But I go by Libby. No one ever calls me Elisabeth.” I have the opposite problem of others on here; I guess because I don’t use Liz or Beth, no one retains my preferred name and they invariably end up reverting to Elisabeth, which just isn’t me. It’s seriously annoying. 

My parents also blessed me with two middle names, one for each of my grandmothers. So, let’s say I am Elisabeth Lillian Judith Muffin. Great for options, terrible for filling out forms, getting things monogrammed, initialing anything (there’s only ever 3 boxes), or explaining that yes, those are all really my names, and no, I’m not Catholic. 

I had a point when I started this, but it’s late and it kind of got lost along the way.  Tl:Dr is you’re probably damned no matter what you do, so give your kid a name you really love and screw anyone who doesn’t like it.  :text-lol: 

Just like Elisabeth Sladen from Doctor Who. And for short she was Lis. 

I don’t understand the sentiment of using a “creative” spelling for a name as being somehow inappropriate or wrong. I mean, that’s how names change and develop over time and I think variety is the spice of life. Can you imagine if we just never took liberties with names starting thousands of years ago. Names would be pretty boring today if you ask me ::shrug::

It’s kind of like when people get upset at words being added to the dictionary because they “aren’t words”. Well no words were words until they became... words :my_angel:

My name is  common, classic, biblical name. It still gets misspelled on a regular basis. Multiple ways even, though I’ve only ever seen it spelled one other way except for a few strangers on Facebook whose parents got reeeealll creative. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived