IGNORED

Baby Vuolo Is a Girl

GnomeCat

My name is short, cutesy, and (IMO) simple, and it is very often misspelled and mispronounced because it’s not exceptionally common. I’ve been told it’s quite usual in Germany as a nickname for Maria/Mary. Maybe that’s why I’m always asked what it’s short for lol? 

As always, I really wish I could share my children’s names, because I absolutely love them. But some people really don’t. There’s never going to be across-the-board love for what you name your kid. 

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dad is one of 5 kids, also all with J names. For the two daughters, one is a Dolly Parton song and the other name I guarantee you’ve never heard. My uncle is Jerald, also didn’t realize that was weird. 

My mom has a less-common name, but her sister has a pretty made up name- you’ve probably never heard this one either.

And my name is Alexa (please don’t stalk me or my fam). This was a lot harder for people before the amazon echo!! Now I get comments on that. 

I didn’t realize my family was so unusual or that people may have been judging. I love unique names!

On 4/12/2018 at 5:17 AM, subsaharanafrica said:

FWIW, my name has come up in this thread multiple times. My first name is the long formal version, but I go by the -ee nickname that has been specifically called out as childish in more than one post. 

I’m a female lawyer. It has never been an issue. 

My name has also come up on here more than once. It ends in an ee sound and as far as I'm concerned it's a full name on its own, although there aren't any established nicknames for it. I wasn't even aware it was a nickname for something else until I was in high school and another girl went by my name but her "real name" was a longer name. I'm also a female lawyer. I feel that being young, short, and blonde has caused me more issues in the legal profession than my name. 

1 hour ago, Runningfromreality said:

My name has also come up on here more than once. It ends in an ee sound and as far as I'm concerned it's a full name on its own, although there aren't any established nicknames for it. I wasn't even aware it was a nickname for something else until I was in high school and another girl went by my name but her "real name" was a longer name. I'm also a female lawyer. I feel that being young, short, and blonde has caused me more issues in the legal profession than my name. 

I'm also a female lawyer.  I think looking young has made it worse, but I have had people comment on my y ending name.  Also they always ask what my real name is.

36 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

I'm also a female lawyer.  I think looking young has made it worse, but I have had people comment on my y ending name.  Also they always ask what my real name is.

I think it helps me that my name really is more of its own name than a nickname, even if it started as a nickname, which I don't think it did. It can just be used as a nickname for one or two other names.  Also, it's fairly common for women 10-15 years older than me, which might help a little bit. My mom was also an attorney and I'm jealous that she has a long formal name with several nicknames, but was able to use her formal name professionally. 

I chose very common classic names for my kids with the original spelling, that being said, it isn't a big thing when other's choose unique or uncommon names/spellings. I figure that what are now common names, were once considered unusual and probably had people wondering why. Although I will admit I made a stinkface over Spurgeon, I actually like the surname as given name trend but that one there was just too much even for me.

On the topic of cutsie names for children- I absolutely loathe it. Out of a family of six children, I was the only one to get stuck with one and makes me seethe with rage sometimes because I feel like people never take a 'Kelsey' as seriously as they would a 'Margaret,' 'Elisabeth' or, 'Thomas.'

4 hours ago, neurogirl said:

My dad is one of 5 kids, also all with J names. For the two daughters, one is a Dolly Parton song and the other name I guarantee you’ve never heard. My uncle is Jerald, also didn’t realize that was weird. 

My mom has a less-common name, but her sister has a pretty made up name- you’ve probably never heard this one either.

And my name is Alexa (please don’t stalk me or my fam). This was a lot harder for people before the amazon echo!! Now I get comments on that. 

I didn’t realize my family was so unusual or that people may have been judging. I love unique names!

I now have that Dolly Parton song in my head.

I like both traditional and unusual names. Though over the past few years people have started giving their kids names that are ubsurd. 

My sixth grade teacher was Elisabeth. She went by Lisa. 

It was the first time I had ever seen it spelled that way. And the only reason I know is I was nosy and my desk was in front of hers. So I looked at the mail she had on her desk and it said 'Elisabeth X" I asked her about it and she said that was her name but she went by Lisa. So glad she didn't mind a nosy kid, she was my favorite teacher.

My overall opinion is that names are in the eye of the beholder. I still prefer culturally "appropriate" names to any other. I don't care the culture. Just let it be someone's culture and I ain't talking Elvish either. 

I am not a huge fans of nicknames as real names, but my opinion is so insignificant in the scheme of things.

Ultimately, I believe people should name their children whatever they want with a little consideration of how the child would feel in the long run.

I still judge, secretly ... though.

Me in my mind: "Why the heck did she name her child, Apple?"

Me aloud: "Apple, that is such a pretty name. I like that. Unique." 

22 hours ago, Lillymuffin said:

Ok, so many things here—I feel like I hit the jackpot in this thread! As I mentioned earlier, my given first name is Elisabeth. With an “s.”  Which is what I always tell people when I have to give my legal first name. That’s not a kre8tyvve spelling, though. It’s the French, German, and multiple other European countries’ spelling. 

I go by a nickname. For the sake of argument, it’s Libby. So after I’ve been introduced by my formal name, I invariably say, “But I go by Libby. No one ever calls me Elisabeth.” I have the opposite problem of others on here; I guess because I don’t use Liz or Beth, no one retains my preferred name and they invariably end up reverting to Elisabeth, which just isn’t me. It’s seriously annoying. 

My parents also blessed me with two middle names, one for each of my grandmothers. So, let’s say I am Elisabeth Lillian Judith Muffin. Great for options, terrible for filling out forms, getting things monogrammed, initialing anything (there’s only ever 3 boxes), or explaining that yes, those are all really my names, and no, I’m not Catholic. 

I had a point when I started this, but it’s late and it kind of got lost along the way.  Tl:Dr is you’re probably damned no matter what you do, so give your kid a name you really love and screw anyone who doesn’t like it.  :text-lol: 

It's insane how many people can get Elizabeth wrong. I use the ' z ' in my name. I'm glad I have another two names before it. One of which is in your post, small world. 

I still have difficulty with the name " Apple" but... is it really any different than naming a child Fern or Olive or Myrtle?  We just aren't used to it because it didn't catch on.

On 4/12/2018 at 3:13 PM, Ivycoveredtower said:

so much pink. Pink is fine but I don't think these people realize there are other colors. 

image.thumb.png.58fa106d059dc8930e68bcfddc5ed52d.png

Good grief that’s a lot of pink. White and purple would definitely balance this out!

On 4/12/2018 at 8:50 PM, Daisy0322 said:

I LOVE pink!

I was the first girl grandchild on both sides of the family. I was swathed in pink for literally YEARS. I am 63 now and still almost never wear or use pink things. I deliberately stay away from pink. My walls were pink, my hairbrush was pink, my socks were pink or white.. with lace... I loathe pink.

AFA names like "apple".... well, at least there's a reference. But naming a child (something like)"M'aka"fume.... help me with translation, please.

On 4/9/2018 at 1:22 PM, SorenaJ said:

Boys can wear dresses as well

Don’t be ridiculous, this is the Duggars we’re talking about. 

My name gets misspelled a lot. Different first letter sometimes and people tend to forget the -e at the end because there are two or three variations to it. This does NOT bother me slightest if those people don’t know me well. I am also not bothered by people asking me about my name if I use my nickname to introduce myself. What does bother me if someone uses my nickname without my permission (exception: someone else has introduced me to them with it- obviously they wouldn’t know better). But I generally don’t get offended very easily.

Kre8tiv spelling though.... if you cannot even figure out how the say the name written before you I will definitely judge (not nice but the truth). Kre8tiv spelling doesn’t apply to the names that have many forms because of different languages- it is quite easy to figure out how to say them even if you probably can’t write them correctly right away. I think Julianna and it’s many forms was a nice example from a post earlier. Non of the mentioned forms would count as kre8tiv but a fantasy writing like Chuli-Anna definitely would. 

On 4/12/2018 at 6:44 AM, albanuadh_1 said:

Explain why it's OK to name a female child a considered male name , such as Bailey, but most of us would cringe at naming a boy Beverly or Shirley. Have my own theory on it but would like to hear others.

Beverly, Shirley, Carol, Kelly, Shannon, and a lot of other "girl" names were once names for boys.  I think we cringe at calling a boy by a "girl" name because we still all were raised with the thought that men are more powerful, and calling a boy a "girl" name is a step down, while calling a girl a "girl" name isn't a step anywhere.  Power means survival.  A lateral step is neutral.  A step down is threatening.

I personally would not name a son of mine a "girl" name, like Victoria (my favourite name ever) because I wouldn't want him to get teased for having a "girly" name.  I can be as progressive as I want and like a name however much I want, but I don't think it would be fair for me to put a son in a position to be teased just because I want to make a statement to the world about how naming conventions are stupid.  I wouldn't want my son to pay a penalty among his peers.  That might even reinforce to him to NOT break naming conventions of he has his own sons.  For every little girl there is who got mild teasing for being named Shane, but who eventually liked it (admit it--the employment world is still more favourable to men, and there's a benefit in some ways to having a masculine name), there is NOT a boy with a "girl" name who grew up thinking it's awesome to be called Rosie, but there might be a boy who demanded he get called another name, like Ripper instead of Rosie. 

That creates a catch-22.  How can we try to send the message that it's okay to name boys "girl" names when doing that will result in kids having to pay the price, which can even backfire?  We have to expect children to have an adult view on names even while they're getting teased for being named "wrong."  It's an adult view that names are just names, but I think that, if we're all honest with ourselves, we all know that names are not just names, we all have associations with various names, and that we all feel more comfortable with some naming conventions that we know can be problematic because sometimes it's easier to go along with the crows, even while we are uncomfortable doing things we consciously know have problems.

Polish and Russian diminutives are great, they sound so affectionate and cute. but they'd be weird as actual given names because of that.

4 hours ago, кошка said:

Beverly, Shirley, Carol, Kelly, Shannon, and a lot of other "girl" names were once names for boys.  I think we cringe at calling a boy by a "girl" name because we still all were raised with the thought that men are more powerful, and calling a boy a "girl" name is a step down, while calling a girl a "girl" name isn't a step anywhere.  Power means survival.  A lateral step is neutral.  A step down is threatening.

Exactly!

6 hours ago, Alicja said:

Polish and Russian diminutives are great, they sound so affectionate and cute. but they'd be weird as actual given names because of that.

Like Natasha "Sasha" Obama

11 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

I was the first girl grandchild on both sides of the family. I was swathed in pink for literally YEARS. I am 63 now and still almost never wear or use pink things. I deliberately stay away from pink. My walls were pink, my hairbrush was pink, my socks were pink or white.. with lace... I loathe pink.

I had a baby girl in January, after 5 grandsons in 2.5 years on DH's side. He has a huge family, immediate and extended so we've gotten a lot of gifts. It's 99% pink clothing. I kid you not. When we had our son a couple of years ago, he got such a variety of stuff - cute clothes, books, toys, stuffed dinosaurs, hockey jerseys, etc. Not our girl, she gets pink, pink, pink. I mean it's nice we haven't had to buy anything but it's kind of sad that this is the social conditioning from day 1.

I have an Irish name, (as does my brother, it was my mom's "thing" even though I found out later we're Scottish) and 2 of my kids have traditional names though Middle wolfie goes by her initials, which are CJ. Oldest has what is now a trendy name but it wasn't popular when we picked it. She and I both get asked about spellings a lot because of the rise in tryndyness. 

I'm an Elisabeth with an "S," too, and I use the full name.  My last name is one of the three most common surnames in America and Elizabeth with a "Z" combined with my last name is extremely common.  I've spent my life being mistaken for other women, as well as battling people wanting to shorten my name to Liz or Lizzy all.the.time.  I love hearing about other Elisabeths!  

2 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Oldest has what is now a trendy name but it wasn't popular when we picked it. She and I both get asked about spellings a lot because of the rise in tryndyness. 

I have such a trendy name too but it was definitely not trendy when I was born. It saw a huge spike when I was about two. My parents told me when I was a newborn they got some flack for my name but now it’s so unbelievably common. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived