IGNORED

Baby Vuolo Is a Girl

GnomeCat

My dog is Molly, too. She is a rescue. Returned to the pound twice before us. She's 9, and is known as Molly the Monster.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, justodd said:

This weekend, I found out a friend of a friend named their daughter Caterpillar. Pretty sure that’s a new low, in terms of non-celebrity baby names. 

My grandson has just informed me of my great granddaughter's name- Atilla-

1 minute ago, NewOrleansLady said:

well that's unfortunate I see a lot of Atilla the Hun jokes in that poor girls future. 

I've always wondered if my assosiation of Molly with chubby comes from the fact that it looks like the Dutch word for chubby or if native English speakers have the same.

In my assosiation, a Molly always has a round face, chubby cheeks and a bit fuller figure.

10 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

I've always wondered if my assosiation of Molly with chubby comes from the fact that it looks like the Dutch word for chubby or if native English speakers have the same.

In my assosiation, a Molly always has a round face, chubby cheeks and a bit fuller figure.

Then I would have been a perfect Molly!!! :giggle:

12 hours ago, mollysmom said:

I always wanted to be a "Molly". I just think it's such a sweet name. Never had a little girl so I named my dog Molly. She's 7 years old today! Best dog ever! :my_heart::my_heart::my_heart:

One of our cars is named like that. The other one is named Wilma. :lol:

Molly also because she looks a bit chubby. A German word for a chubby figure is "mollig". 

6 hours ago, NewOrleansLady said:

I know of someone who named their baby girl Boudicca. 

If you want to name her after a badass woman there are so many others to chose from that people can spell. And pronounce. 

Candace. A  name mentioned in the Bible. A powerful line of Queens( and a great actress) so automatically Bad Ass. Easy to spell, pronounce and Your little girl can be Candy  with she option of a perfectly respectable adult name later. 

Ticks all the boxes. 

11 minutes ago, Nargus said:

Boudicca. 

My FIL's favorite historical figure. He insists his line is descended from her. 

3 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

I'm a native English speaker and I've never thought of Molly and chubby together. I bet it's a language thing. 

My main association with Molly is the American Girl story and doll, which I had as a child. image.png.c4cf59b011dd6e64b62a4c8f38161d4a.png

7 hours ago, NewOrleansLady said:

Has the baby been born yet? If not he may be joking with you. Husband and I came up with all sorts of names to tell people who wouldn’t stop asking what names we had picked. My favorites were to name random Beatles albums and insist that we were naming the baby that. I also really liked telling people we were going with Chewbacca if the baby was hairy at birth. 

(For the record, we went with Anna. It was really fun messing with my in-laws for a while though. Eventually they learned to stop asking and be patient.  :pb_lol:)

53 minutes ago, Nargus said:

I know of someone who named their baby girl Boudicca. 

If you want to name her after a badass woman there are so many others to chose from that people can spell. And pronounce. 

True confession:  I named my late Jack Russell Terrier Boudicca. It suited her.   No-one had any problem pronouncing it although we did call her Boucca (boo-kah) for short.  I also know of a rather wimpy little female dog called Attila. 

But not good baby names. :)

10 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

My favorites were to name random Beatles albums and insist that we were naming the baby that. I also really liked telling people we were going with Chewbacca if the baby was hairy at birth. 

Nah.  You liked calling her Velocibaby best.  Admit it!   And how is the little sweetie? 

6 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

True confession:  I named my late Jack Russell Terrier Boudicca. It suited her.   No-one had any problem pronouncing it although we did call her Boucca (boo-kah) for short.  I also know of a rather wimpy little female dog called Attila. 

But not good baby names. :)

Nah.  You liked calling her Velocibaby best.  Admit it!   And how is the little sweetie? 

She’s been busy running all over the place, helping to feed the dog, kissing the dog every chance she gets, getting excited when she sees her potty, raiding the pantry (which she’s trying to do right now), insisting I read the same books multiple times a day, and trying to talk more and more. We may be up to five words right now - “hi” and “ma” are definite. “Uh-oh”, “da”, and “no” have been said at least once in context, but not frequently enough for us to know whether to count them.

So she’s doing pretty well. :pb_lol:

3 hours ago, Gobbles said:

One of our cars is named like that. The other one is named Wilma. :lol:

Molly also because she looks a bit chubby. A German word for a chubby figure is "mollig". 

Same word as in Dutch, then it really is a language thing if only the Dutch and German think Molly is chubby.

So the awesome Southwest pilot who safely landed the plane after its engine exploded was:

TAMMIE

Woohoo!

Would anyone have felt safer/more relieved if she'd been called Tamara? No? Didn't think so. Her name has nothing to do with her abilities in the cockpit. And, FWIW - she was one of the Navy's first fighter pilots (she took the path I wanted, and I'm so very proud of her).

3 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Candace. A  name mentioned in the Bible. A powerful line of Queens( and a great actress) so automatically Bad Ass. Easy to spell, pronounce and Your little girl can be Candy  with she option of a perfectly respectable adult name later. 

Ticks all the boxes. 

No to Candy. Candy is right up there with Crystal.

35 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

So the awesome Southwest pilot who safely landed the plane after its engine exploded was:

TAMMIE

Woohoo!

Would anyone have felt safer/more relieved if she'd been called Tamara? No? Didn't think so. Her name has nothing to do with her abilities in the cockpit. And, FWIW - she was one of the Navy's first fighter pilots (she took the path I wanted, and I'm so very proud of her).

Actually, everyone seems to be referring to her as "Tammie Jo"- 

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

The fundie Browns have a Truely, Aspyn, and a few other "unique" names which I don't care for.

Christine does have some strange name taste. Aspyn Mykelti Paedon, Truely. she has two that aren't bad. Gwendlyn and Ysabel

24 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Christine does have some strange name taste. Aspyn Mykelti Paedon, Truely. she has two that aren't bad. Gwendlyn and Ysabel

This probably sounds bad but Mykelti always reminds me when I decided to get come up with alien names for my sci-fi stories and just typed random letters together on the computer as a kid. I always assumed that's how they did it in sci-fi books for some of the more out there names.    

I have an Aunt Dawn, who’s married to my Uncle Don. They have a son Donald and a daughter Donna. 

They said when they met they joked about naming their kids versions of their name, and it somehow became real. Donna goes by her middle name because she hates her parents for taking the mickey with her name. 

5 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

TAMMIE

Woohoo!

Not just Tammie, but Tammie Jo! Although, despite the Southern-sounding name (per this board) she was apparently raised in New Mexico and went to college at MidAmerica Nazarene University (in Olathe, Kansas) before joining the Navy. Personally, I'm not sure if Tammie actually is her legal name, but it's certainly the one everyone knows her by!

4 hours ago, GreatScott said:

I have an Aunt Dawn, who’s married to my Uncle Don. They have a son Donald and a daughter Donna. 

They said when they met they joked about naming their kids versions of their name, and it somehow became real. Donna goes by her middle name because she hates her parents for taking the mickey with her name. 

My parents are Don and Donna, my middle is Dawn... go figure.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived