IGNORED

BRADRICK! Divorce Part 3: Now With Remarriage?

Destiny

On 1/27/2019 at 1:35 PM, starfish said:

We need to get the Ro-Botkins going again. Maybe they will blog post about the NY abortion bill or some other

fundie calamity and come out of their self-imposed exile. 

I miss them.  And I wonder what's keeping them so busy that they can't update their site even a little bit.  Maybe it takes them a whole year to write a six-part article series to be released over a week.

Maybe the men in their family had an adventure so they're busy doing all the donkey work again.

Maybe DadBot has been so hospitable to any passersby that he can make into disciples that they're stuck cooking and cleaning 24/7.

Maybe they developed opinions are aren't allowed online anymore.

Maybe they travelled a bit too far and weren't able to recharge their power cells in time.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just checked the Western Conservatory web site; the Duck Biologist hasn't blogged since August 2017, so about a year and a half.  They claim to be working on a documentary about how families can something something something and save Christian civilization.  Pretty sure they are all living off the proceeds of T Rex Arms, a fire arms accessory company founded by one of the sons. 

On their Web site, you can get "It's Not About Staying Home" by AS and E for FREE!  Hint: I think it's 100% about staying home and it's not about breaking free to live your own life, get an education, live in your own apartment and have an intellectual life apart from what your father thinks you should think.  

In this message, the Botkin sisters reexamine hot button issues like a father’s authority, marriage, singleness, college, jobs, ministry, giftedness, Phariseeism, pursuing fruitfulness rather than just safety, serving our families vs. serving other people, why feminism is not the big enemy, and of course, “staying at home.” Prepare to be more excited about being a single Christian young woman than you’ve ever been before!

11 minutes ago, Howl said:

In this message, the Botkin sisters reexamine hot button issues like a father’s authority, marriage, singleness, college, jobs, ministry, giftedness, Phariseeism, pursuing fruitfulness rather than just safety, serving our families vs. serving other people, why feminism is not the big enemy, and of course, “staying at home.” Prepare to be more excited about being a single Christian young woman than you’ve ever been before!

Yikes.  That is NOT the response I think most Christian SAHDs have to a reexamination of the lives and teachings of the Botkin daughters. Not at all. 

You know, I miss Bradrick! and the manly men first crisis responders wanabees.  They gave me such a giggle as I was always reminded of the old SNL skit Miles Copperthwaite and the Raging Queen. Now there was a group of manly men

Fundie, you are full of magical thinking. You won't admit it mind you what with magic being "evil" but a lot  of what you call faith is simply magical thinking. I'm waiting for the Botkins daughters to be put on the spot about "why haven't the husbands you thought would magically appear for being godly and pure, you know magically appeared already?" Because the Botkins daughters and other fundie do something, to my mind do a form if spell castijng with their talk of rewards for godly living. They should read the Bible where, "In this world you will have troubles, but take heart I have overcome the world." 

16 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

You know, I miss Bradrick! and the manly men first crisis responders wanabees.

Who could forget them - BRADRICK! was pure comedy gold:

On 1/27/2019 at 10:00 PM, CyborgKin said:

miss them.  And I wonder what's keeping them so busy that they can't update their site even a little bit.  Maybe it takes them a whole year to write a six-part article series to be released over a week.

Maybe the men in their family had an adventure so they're busy doing all the donkey work again.

Maybe DadBot has been so hospitable to any passersby that he can make into disciples that they're stuck cooking and cleaning 24/7.

I remember reading a comment somewhere... It must have been a screenshot here on FJ because I don't seek out fundie blogs these days, just read about them second-hand. But IIRC, someone commented about Papa Botkins' health (might even have been a query as to whether he was feeling better, phrased in a way that made me think he might be in physical decline).

Wonder if things are so quiet because the daughters' representative of god on earth is in failing health?

Pure speculation on my part, of course.

3 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

You know, I miss Bradrick! and the manly men first crisis responders wanabees.

3 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

I used to look to see if they ever responded to a true emergency.   Even if their "qualifications" were more imagined than real, I would still give them credit if they showed up to help somewhere; that would tell me they actually would do more than manly men chest-beating.    I know Bradrick! did some assistance on his own but never saw or heard anything of the group participating in any disaster assistance anywhere.   And I think they would talked it up if they did.

1 hour ago, refugee said:

I remember reading a comment somewhere... It must have been a screenshot here on FJ because I don't seek out fundie blogs these days, just read about them second-hand. But IIRC, someone commented about Papa Botkins' health (might even have been a query as to whether he was feeling better, phrased in a way that made me think he might be in physical decline).

Wonder if things are so quiet because the daughters' representative of god on earth is in failing health?

Pure speculation on my part, of course.

I seem to remember something about Geoff suffering from very bad headaches/migraines? Maybe this came from @CyborgKin? Either that or comments on Facebook. 

5 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

I seem to remember something about Geoff suffering from very bad headaches/migraines? Maybe this came from @CyborgKin? Either that or comments on Facebook. 

Doesn't sound familiar to me and I don't have any inside knowledge.

Well I have seen a couple of their Christmas emails to newsletter subscribers but they haven't done one of those in a while.  Come to think of it, I haven't checked Isaac and Heidi's blog in a while...

nope the latest post there is still the Death Star timelapse one from 2017

I still find it interesting that some Botkin brothers rendered and made a soundtrack for something Star Wars related.

Oh sweet baby jebus! The Bradrick! crisis playing. Pretty much just solid evidence of what happens when you prop men above every and all others without skill, experience or character. The hubris coming out of that corner or fundiedom was often just short of impossible to comprehend. 

I suppose when you have no real job or skills but need to keep the image created of your perfect Christian manhood, any made up manly man thing will do. 

He didn't support his wife & many offspring with his showboating. He was a failure at manhood and leading his home and caring for his family. But, he had fun doing it, it seems. 

4 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Oh sweet baby jebus! The Bradrick! crisis playing. Pretty much just solid evidence of what happens when you prop men above every and all others without skill, experience or character. The hubris coming out of that corner or fundiedom was often just short of impossible to comprehend

Yep and I remember seeing the "experts" they featured on their site, presumably they would lead or impart their knowledge to the band of manly men.  Well, then, if these guys really knew what they were doing, wouldn't one of the things they would do is actually have the Bradrick! crisis team show up at an actual crisis?  

Just a whole lot of so-called manly men posturing, is what it was.   

On 1/29/2019 at 5:52 PM, LurkerOverThePond said:

His bullshit (from the video): “I saw first-hand what crisis does to people. They either become self-focussed, and turn into victims, or rise to the occasion, and turn into heroes.”

NO!! BULLSHIT! Saying that someone makes themselves a victim by being “self-focussed” and failing to “rise to the occasion” fills me with RAGE.

How dare he? So, someone who is trapped under a fallen building in an earthquake is being too “self-focussed”? Someone who’s being pulled unconscious out of a burning building needs to “rise to the occasion”?? People experiencing natural disasters and other crises aren’t choosing to be victims, you ass, the situation has put them in that position. There is NO SHAME in needing help.

And the pschological devastation of crisis is not to be underestimated either. I used physical examples above because they expose his crap so clearly, but someone who is facing, say, the sudden death of a close family member or a child gone missing aren’t failing in any way by going through the natural and necessary stages of shock and grief. How cruel to imply that they could be heroes but are failing if they have needs.

Now possibly, POSSIBLY, Bradrick’s not referring to actual crisis victims when he says “victims”, but to the distressed-looking manly-man watching TV in the video. Perhaps, by not helping others, said manly-man is making himself a VICTIM of hopelessness! See how sad and powerless he feels while watching the news in his cosy house with a wife humming eerily to their baby like the start of a horror movie? He can choose to be a HERO instead!

Which even then is a problematic dichotomy. There’s a lot between the extremes of passivity versus heroics. How about being a “helper”? That seems more appropriately modest to pursue than “hero”. Not to mention that opportunities for actual heroics are rare, and not just up to someone “deciding” to be a hero today, while opportunities for helping are everywhere.

Side note: I’ve always hated the Prayer of St Francis hymn. The third verse begins: “Oh master grant that I may never seek so much to be consoled as to console.” While that is a fine thing to pray personally when it fits your circumstances, the “never” and, by putting it as a hymn, the forcing of it into everyone’s mouths regardless of their circumstances, is AWFUL. Someone in need of consolation isn’t doing anything wrong!! There’s already a huge amount of shame in seeking help and comfort; crap like this just makes it harder. Needing help, needing a hero, being made by circumstance a victim of something, is NOT A FAILING.

(I feel very strongly about this!!!)

All, let's cleanse our palates with  The REAL Manliest Man who Ever Manned:

image.png.74462b2c3ff951c7b9d57d6eacff28dc.png

Mic drop, fake manly-men. Mr Rogers out-mans you all every single time.

2 hours ago, FilleMondaine said:

All, let's cleanse our palates with  The REAL Manliest Man who Ever Manned:

image.png.74462b2c3ff951c7b9d57d6eacff28dc.png

Mic drop, fake manly-men. Mr Rogers out-mans you all every single time.

A conservative religious pundit I listen to (when my blood pressure’s too low) acknowledged Mr. Rogers as wholesome entertainment but despised him for his softness and lack of masculinity. You be you, conservative religious pundit. All you warlike warriors for your multiple and seemingly infinite versions of G-d go somewhere and fight each other and leave the rest of us alone. 

35 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

A conservative religious pundit I listen to (when my blood pressure’s too low) acknowledged Mr. Rogers as wholesome entertainment but despised him for his softness and lack of masculinity. You be you, conservative religious pundit. All you warlike warriors for your multiple and seemingly infinite versions of G-d go somewhere and fight each other and leave the rest of us alone. 

"Softness and lack of masculinity?" What the hell. Mr. Rogers had more real masculinity in his pinkie finger than any blowhard pundit. 

I never thought of using conservative talk shows as a treatment for low BP. I think it's working already!

Yeah, even "mainstream" Christian authors like John Eldrige of Wild At Heart seem to revert to constantly propping up masculinity and all things male as the pinnacle of humanity. You don't have to have a gender caste system for men to be affirmed and appreciated.  You don't have to tear women down in order to build men up. 

Or... how about THIS guy!  For the record, I love Bob!  What a great guy with a soft heart who could have easily kicked some manly men's butts.

Spoiler

Bob_at_Easel.jpg

Military career

In 1961, 18-year-old Ross enlisted in the United States Air Force and was put into service as a medical records technician.[6]:15 He eventually rose to the rank of master sergeant and served as the first sergeant of the U.S. Air Force Clinic at Eielson Air Force Base in Alaska,[7][8] where he first saw the snow and mountains that later became recurring themes in his artwork. He developed his quick-painting technique to create art for sale during brief daily work breaks.[8] Having held military positions that required him to be, in his own words, "tough" and "mean", "the guy who makes you scrub the latrine, the guy who makes you make your bed, the guy who screams at you for being late to work", Ross decided that if he ever left the military, he would never yell or raise his voice again.[8]

Honest masculinity is not having to constantly prove it (see great examples above).  Also, my husband (who is a huge Bob Ross fan, not surprisingly).

For realz though...Tim Curry in Rocky Horror is a thousand times more masculine than most of these fundie twerps could ever hope to be.  I give you, the sexiest eyebrow raise in the history of the world:

Tim_Curry_Rocky_Horror.jpg

On 1/27/2019 at 11:00 PM, CyborgKin said:

I miss them.  And I wonder what's keeping them so busy that they can't update their site even a little bit.  Maybe it takes them a whole year to write a six-part article series to be released over a week.

Maybe they developed opinions are aren't allowed online anymore.

Maybe they travelled a bit too far and weren't able to recharge their power cells in time.

I like to think they’re trying to hack into Audri’s Twitter and stop all her likes and reposts about racism and church abuse. 

I never understood what the point of Bradrick! inc was. If he wanted to assist in natural disasters, he could have joined

the national guard or Fema. 

16 minutes ago, starfish said:

I never understood what the point of Bradrick! inc was. If he wanted to assist in natural disasters, he could have joined

the national guard or Fema. 

It was a NETWORK OF MEN.  But not just ANY men, manly, Christian men.  It was a network for manly, Christian men who wanted to network with OTHER, manly Christian men.  And who were, of course, were all married to godly, Christian women...but still wanted to fellowship with a large network of other, manly, Christian men.  

I don't think it's at all coincidental that it sounds like a same-sex version of Ashley Madison for a very specific population under a very thin pretext.  And while I don't think that was entirely Peter's intent, I also don't think it's completely unrelated that Mr. Bradrick WAS found to be having extra-marital affairs with men.  I think many of the men who really focused on being manly men on trips with other men doing manly things half dressed and far away from any women did so in an effort to find an approved outlet for certain repressed feelings.  

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived