IGNORED

Lori Alexander 41: The Uninformed Wife

3 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

OK. I confess that I loved reading The Tightwad Gazette -- because I thought the woman who wrote it was BSC and it was amusing in a sort of horrifying way.  I never followed anything she suggested.

I also read it long after it was written and. as a sensible woman with common sense, knew that times were different, prices had gone up, houses in other parts of the country cost more, and the author was BSC in some (most) of her suggestions.  Such as wash and reuse the styrofoam tray meat from the grocery store is packaged on. Uh... no. no, never, no.

One of the things the TWG fangirls ignore is that the author sold subscriptions to her monthly Opus of Frugality -- that is she made money from it and the subsequent books. So yeah calling BS on the fact they lived completely on hubby's tiny navy pay.  The author also failed to mention when hubby left the navy he got a pension and had a civilian job.  So yeah BS on the whole living on a tiny navy pay thing.

Oh and I guess I really was a tightwad as I borrowed the book from a friend, who had been given it by someone else.

Please tell me what bsc is! I'm dying to know. I followed the Tightwad Gazette when it was actually being published in newsletters, which would have been in the 90s. It was a time when we were trying to live very frugally, and while I didn't use many of her tips, I found the overall philosophy useful. I was sort of fascinated by the idea that you could live humbly on a low income and still save money for a very large dream.Many of her tips were geared to parents, and once I had kids (many years later) I actually put them into practice. 

She didn't make much off the newsletter till she was featured in Parade magazine (which was a Sunday supplement) and then she started making serious money. Before that, I think they did live off hubby's pension. However, what she doesn't tell us is that they had access to a military commissary and (I think) free health care through the Navy. Perhaps someone who is ex-Navy can share the benefits a retired serviceman receives. But I don't think she was completely honest about that, no.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I find fascinating in all this is that limiting every one's lifestyle to sameness deprives people of the opportunity to be neighborly.  I think people are saying "we do this" on her blog in an to attempt to show that there are other frugal options other than just having 1 car.   But of course, other ways of being frugal are not allowed in Lori-land.

But then again, I believe God is a God of diversity and does not want people living lives trying to measure up to the impossible standards and crazy ramblings of a narcissistic, malnourished suburbanite. :-)

3 hours ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

She posts on IG laundry detergent that is $20 on Amazon for 32 loads!!

Plus, Thrive Market is $50 a year because it works like Costco or Sam’s Club. I did a trial membership with them and found it wasn’t worth it. I can just buy $7 for 32 load detergents and live my life just fine. A healthier life than Lori’s, anyway. 

57 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Plus, Thrive Market is $50 a year because it works like Costco or Sam’s Club. I did a trial membership with them and found it wasn’t worth it. I can just buy $7 for 32 load detergents and live my life just fine. A healthier life than Lori’s, anyway. 

You can make it yourself much cheaper. 

5 minutes ago, EowynW said:

You can make it yourself much cheaper. 

Oh, definitely you can. I'm a grad students in my last month a half before graduation and until my life is no longer complete chaos, Tide is gonna have to do. :pb_lol:

4 hours ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

She posts on IG laundry detergent that is $20 on Amazon for 32 loads!!

She's so pretentious. I get Tide, All, or even Persil for $2 or $3 for 30-some loads, when it's on sale and I have coupons, which is all the damned time. 

All those chemicals, though. I guess I'm doomed. :roll:

15 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Oh, definitely you can. I'm a grad students in my last month a half before graduation and until my life is no longer complete chaos, Tide is gonna have to do. :pb_lol:

It doesn't work for me in our current house. hard water and a front loader. :( 

She's crazy.  I just had toss out a Sam's size (read: GIANT) thing of laundry detergent.  I've developed some sort of hellish allergy, and my doctor wanted me to switch to something dye/perfume free. I absolutely CRINGED when I got rid of it.   :doh:

I do love that mere hours after she's prattled on about being frugal, she shows her readers some ridiculously expensive laundry detergent. 

They're all like, "I reuse wax paper, and communicate w/ family via two tin cans and a bit of string."

Lori's like, "Oh, me too!  I LOVE being frugal.  When I get back from my 10 week vacation, I'll show you my new i-Phone and a denim skirt I got on sale for $70. 

By the by, did I tell you about the cheap assed house Ken is looking at buying?!?  ONLY 500,000!  Can you believe it?  We're really going to be roughing it.  Oh well, godliness with contentment is great gain!  TRUTH!"

Earlier in this thread or in the last thread, there was some discussion of Lori's claim to use grilled cheese grease/oil/whathaveyou on her face or hands.  That might be a thing among certain batshit crazy women in Southern California.  I'd watched this short video of Kendall Jenner's makeup routine earlier today and Kendall said that she used oil from her grilled cheese on her face.  Kendall may have been pulling our collective leg though.  She was smirking a bit when she said it.

Here's a link to the video with the text of what Kendall says:

Kendall Jenner shares how she does her 2 minute supermodel face

EB26331B-3F26-428F-909F-B17CD2CB1E98.jpeg.d12193d36ddc3ef0483d1a64e6ee3dea.jpeg

94ECC233-9C55-4BDB-B7E0-8162E18A7C38.jpeg.7a76035ff64b15a383018fca49aa7351.jpeg

This Facebook comment exchange under today’s doodle is infuriating and heartbreaking. This mother plainly says that her child is too young to understand (maybe around a year old if he’s becoming “more mobile” and getting into the trash can) but can Lori leave that alone? Hell no! I sincerely hope Lori’s shitty advice is ignored.

So Lindy must be feeling like she’s second fiddle to the newest henchwoman Beccy Mosser. Beccy has made herself quite popular today, with several requests for some blog post or sermon she developed. She strikes me as even more outrageous and offensive than Lori, if that’s possible. 

44 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Earlier in this thread or in the last thread, there was some discussion of Lori's claim to use grilled cheese grease/oil/whathaveyou on her face or hands.  That might be a thing among certain batshit crazy women in Southern California.  I'd watched this short video of Kendall Jenner's makeup routine earlier today and Kendall said that she used oil from her grilled cheese on her face.  Kendall may have been pulling our collective leg though.  She was smirking a bit when she said it.

Here's a link to the video with the text of what Kendall says:

Kendall Jenner shares how she does her 2 minute supermodel face

Totally works. I made bone marrow dumplings on Sunday and my hands have never felt softer. It only took five washes to get the greasy feeling off, and another five to get rid of the smell of dead animal. Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer hand-cream. :)

8 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

I found her detergent for like 7 bucks at Walmart.com. why its so expensive on Amazon I have no idea. 

What's the name?

7 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

she literally chose the most extreme definition of chastens..... That says a lot to me. 

Exactly what I was thinking. 

Lori often quotes verses that have to do with punishment, pain, etc.  Very telling.

7 hours ago, Frog99 said:

So Lindy must be feeling like she’s second fiddle to the newest henchwoman Beccy Mosser. Beccy has made herself quite popular today, with several requests for some blog post or sermon she developed. She strikes me as even more outrageous and offensive than Lori, if that’s possible. 

I checked out Betty's FB page. It looks like her husband has been in jail. There was a link to a GoFundMe acct for legal fees. She says her husband was protecting her family from a neighbor threatening them.  Obviously   I wasn't there, but it sounds fishy that she says there were witnesses yet her husband was the one who went to jail and the one she claims threatened them is not.

I know, I know. I have too much time on my hands to be lurking and reading a stranger's FB page.  I was just thinking all the more reason for this woman to get a JOB.  Then she might have the money for the lawyer.

I've been running into Ken and lori a lot over on the dale partidge page. I think she's trying to become like him. She's a huge DP leghumper. 

21 minutes ago, EowynW said:

I've been running into Ken and lori a lot over on the dale partidge page. I think she's trying to become like him. She's a huge DP leghumper. 

Can you point me to the posts? I've looked at about 10 and I'm not seeing them.

4 minutes ago, jerkit said:

Can you point me to the posts? I've looked at about 10 and I'm not seeing them.

In comments. Both have commented on various posts of his over the past month. I'd look but I'm at work right now. I think lori commented on his recent public school post. 

2 hours ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

I checked out Betty's FB page. It looks like her husband has been in jail. There was a link to a GoFundMe acct for legal fees. She says her husband was protecting her family from a neighbor threatening them.  Obviously   I wasn't there, but it sounds fishy that she says there were witnesses yet her husband was the one who went to jail and the one she claims threatened them is not.

I know, I know. I have too much time on my hands to be lurking and reading a stranger's FB page.  I was just thinking all the more reason for this woman to get a JOB.  Then she might have the money for the lawyer.

I had a look at their page too.  The husband sounds like a violent and nasty person.  Scroll down for a post in caps. It's awful! It's dated Oct 17 2013. The actual post is too awful to quote. This response reveals his violent nature: 

Most women who are on their own have been a self heart attack. And their man couldn't take it any more so they went elsewhere. Kind of like the ladies which used to come to Beccy and I and would tell us he is beating me. We would go and try to se what we could do to help(already being involved in their lives). What we wound up finding out was that you had a typical guy who does not like being disrespected. These fellas ladies were very rude and disrespectful and many times violent. So what basically happened was the mouthy little witch finally got a spanking. We would continually warn these women after we learned this lesson, that they should respect and show reverence to their husbands to avoid these situations. But this was ignored and as always. Following was the woman got spanked and eventually divorce.(snip)

But out of the hundred or so couples we have counseled on this subject. The one or two ladies that have listened have taken a very hard hearted and distant man and through their respectful and reverent behavior have wonderful marriages. But the 97 or 98 have gotten spanked and divorced or abandoned on a whim. Even after 27 years of marriage. Some men have been so trampled down they just pulled the trigger of suicide. The point is is that a truly humble, submissive,reverent, meek an quiet woman will win in the end if she cries out to Jesus everyday and begs Jesus for her life to be a living sacrifice to him.

Today Lori is writing about being quiet. Lots of gems here on the ongoing theme of her being the least self-aware person on the planet: 

How do we live peaceably with our own families? By being kind towards them and loving them. We don’t argue with them or insist upon being right.

Because Lori never argues or insists on being right. Never. 

Talebearing, whispering, and backbiting should have NO place in a believer’s life.

And we all know that she never tells tales about others or back stabs or posts pictures of them or their homes or yards or anything else in order to critique them. Nope. Not Lori. 

We are not to create divisions in the church. We don’t rebuke the pastor if he said something we don’t like. We don’t sit in our chairs and criticize in our minds what’s wrong with the singing and the service. We don’t murmur against what we don’t like about the church to others. No, we find things to praise in our churches and focus upon these things!

Lori would never cause so much trouble in her church that the pastor bans her from leading groups! Nor would she rant about ungodly churches not teaching what she thinks is important, and certainly she would never even consider doing that on a public blog! 

If you are busy keeping your home clean, orderly, and tidy, you are studying to be quiet. As you dust your furniture, clean your dishes, organize your closets, vacuum your floors, fold your laundry, and train your children, you are learning to be quiet. You are doing your business, which is being a keeper at home, with your own hands and the Lord is pleased with this.

And she is definitely doing all of this with her own hands. She would not hire a housekeeper to do it for her so she has more time to gossip and backbite on her public blog where she rants about what's wrong with churches. She is too virtuous for that sort of thing. 

Of course. 

7 minutes ago, onemama said:

I had a look at their page too.  The husband sounds like a violent and nasty person.  Scroll down for a post in caps. It's awful!

It’s funny that others checked her out. Last night I did the same.  I also looked at all the other commenters’ profiles. I have no idea why I did this, and I ended up feeling so much anger and despair that there are people (so many people) who believe this shit. It is frightening.  Lori is attracting some real winners. 

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived