IGNORED

Joy and Austin: 248 Days Since the Wedding and Still Counting

Coconut Flan

Please have the Baby before next week please. 

I'm not ready to share my birthday with a duggarling yet.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I know an "Arthurine"

Also, a Beau-- named after her father Beauregard

OMG I know an "Arthurina"!! In Italian/Greek families it goes first boy named after the mother's father, first girl after father's mother, next boy after father's father, next girl after mother's mother (I really hope I have that the right way around - it's all after grandparents, anyway).  So in hospital I was sharing with a lovely lady who'd had a boy (dutifully named after grandfather, although somewhat rebelliously using the name as his middle rather than first name), then twin girls (middle names after grandmothers) then was expecting another girl - whose somewhat unique middle name was after the remaining grandfather. Never heard of another feminised version of Arthur before!

2 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

OMG I know an "Arthurina"!! In Italian/Greek families it goes first boy named after the mother's father, first girl after father's mother, next boy after father's father, next girl after mother's mother (I really hope I have that the right way around - it's all after grandparents, anyway).  So in hospital I was sharing with a lovely lady who'd had a boy (dutifully named after grandfather, although somewhat rebelliously using the name as his middle rather than first name), then twin girls (middle names after grandmother) then was expecting another girl - whose somewhat unique middle name was after the remaining grandfather. 

I'm half Sicilian, and the father's father is named after first. :) I am not sure about the grandma honoring. My own Sicilian grandparents broke tradition, used middle names, and named their first son after both of their fathers, two girls (including my mom) with names they liked, 2nd and final son after my grandpa, but all with American names. I don't think they named women after one another in their families as a general rule, but some did anyway. I know my grandma definitely wasn't named after anyone! And personally, my grandparents had official American names, and Italian names amongst their families. None of their kids carried on the tradition, but it didn't matter by that point.

52 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Is it just me who has three names before the surname?

No, it’s not just you :) .  Our daughter has two middle names - I wanted my mum’s middle name, but since my MIL had three sons and was excited about having a granddaughter, I felt I couldn’t leave her out (aren’t I nice!).  So DD has both of their middle names as hers.  They’re both classic girls names and sound nice together.  She’s 21 and likes them.  I had two middle names, hyphenated, but they were terrible and when I hadn’t a midlife crisis at 40 I formally deleted them.  My parents were a bit upset I think, but they were terrible.  Definitely worth the hassle.

I may have mentioned this before - my mother's father's family was from Holland. Most of the 13 children were born there, only the last few (including the youngest, my great-grandfather) were born in the US. The parents were not the most creative when it came to names. Several names were repeated first or middle among the kids. The most egregious was a Cornelius Peter and then a few kids later, a Peter Cornelius. Peter died as an infant and as was the custom the next boy was given the name Peter Cornelius. At a family reunion a few years ago, his son (who had a son that was a Junior) introduced himself as "First John of Second Peter." :-)

My (younger) sister has my mom and grandmother's middle name, which was the name of my grandma's favorite aunt. Her older girl also has the name. My middle name will not get passed down (it's not a family name) because it is 4 letters long, with only the first letter being different from my married last name. I would have liked to use my father's name but my husband has the same name with a minor variation on the full name (like Jonathan vs Johnathan), so we both agree that is probably out except maybe as a middle. I have considered using Elise as a middle as it mixes up the syllables of my father's middle name (Leslie). Unfortunately my husband really likes the name Elspeth but that is NOT happening!

I vote a boy named Montana Max.

On 2/22/2018 at 12:08 AM, Dandruff said:

David and Priscilla Waller named their daughter Davia.  Their boys have names starting with "P". 

Isn't or was Prissy recently pregnant?

6 hours ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

I'm loving all this discussion about people's name stories! I'm obsessed with names haha, regardless of the story behind them. I like my own alright, though I think it's hilarious that I am, apparently, named after the most beautiful girl at my dad's high school that everyone had a crush on xD. 

The worst name story I've ever heard was a teenager named Glitter, apparently after her dad's and uncle's favorite stripper....:my_cry:

Try hearing a lady screaming her son named Mystical Ocean across a store.

2 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I may have mentioned this before, but I'm named after my grandmother, who died the year I was born. 

I have three, my parents both have four.

We are from a European Catholic family so it is quite common around here.

I may have mentioned this before, but I'm named after my grandmother, who died the year I was born. 

I am considering giving DD2 two middle names. DH and I like one. DD1 really wants to give her a different one. Out of curiosity, are both middle names on your birth certificate?

I have two middle names. They're both on my birth certificate, but they usually get shortened to initials on bank cards and some other IDs. 

2 hours ago, Taylurker said:

I'm half Sicilian, and the father's father is named after first. :) I am not sure about the grandma honoring. 

I knew I'd get it the wrong way around! :) I was trying to remember whose father Arthur was, my friend's or her husband's, heh. 

The grandmother honouring is nice, although a different friend of mine ended up with a name that was apparently not even that common when it was given to her grandmother and is almost archaic now. On the positive side no one in her class has ever had the same name as her!

My mother named me after her grandmother who died of tuberculosis at a very young age. It is a beautiful Hebrew name, but very rare for where I spent most of my childhood. It always singled me out and caused me endless frustration growing up. I love my name nowadays, and am proud to wear it.

My husband has a first name he hates. It is double-barrelled, but apart from his close family people mainly use the first part of the name. He comes from a big family, and every second aunt or uncle who writes him a birthday card misspells the second part of his name. It doesn't make any sense because the spelling is standard French, and the spelling error his family makes actually turns the name into an English one... My husband once showed me a birthday card he received as a teenager from his paternal grandparents - they had addressed it to an entirely different grandson of theirs who has a completely different name and was born in a completely different month.

Our daughter will be named after my paternal great-grandmother. She was a wonderful, imposing lady who personally made sure her disabled son was returned to the family from the "mental institution" (i.e. death trap) to which the Nazi administration had taken him, and protected and cared for the Russian prisoners of war in her village.

That her name works well in all European languages, and can be easily spelled and pronounced by everyone in our very mixed and multilingual family is an added bonus :pb_razz:

4 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

My brother has two middle names. He has a first name that at the time he was born was very unusual, so one of his middle names is a family surname, and the other is a very ordinary first name (like Matthew or Thomas, but neither) which he could choose to use instead if he wanted.

28 years later, his first name is really popular here in the UK and often troubles the baby names charts. My folks were trailblazers...

I'm so glad it's not just me with three names. I only go by one, and most of family use the nickname which used to get somewhat confusing at family gatherings because my cousin goes by my nickname as her given name. 

I'm proud of my name. I wish I was as great as the person I am named after. 

I'm so glad it's not just me with three names. I only go by one, and most of family use the nickname which used to get somewhat confusing at family gatherings because my cousin goes by my nickname as her given name. 

In our family, my uncle goes by something completely different from either of his given names. When he was a toddler he was compared to a particular TV character, and the character's name just stuck on him. I had no idea it wasn't his real name until he brought a girlfriend back when I was a kid, and she was extremely disconcerted that we were all calling him 'Joe' (eg) when she'd only ever known him by his official name. I think she thought he had some kind of double life going on.

I didn't realise how strange it was until I found myself in her shoes. My girlfriend at university went by her middle name, but her family called her by her first name. Spending holidays with them, when they referred to her by that other name, addressed presents to me and [stranger], as if I were in a relationship with someone else entirely. There is something very weird about seeing someone you feel you know intimately being called by an entirely different name. It's only a passing oddness, obviously, but kind of disorientating.

27 minutes ago, AprilQuilt said:

In our family, my uncle goes by something completely different from either of his given names. When he was a toddler he was compared to a particular TV character, and the character's name just stuck on him. I had no idea it wasn't his real name until he brought a girlfriend back when I was a kid, and she was extremely disconcerted that we were all calling him 'Joe' (eg) when she'd only ever known him by his official name. I think she thought he had some kind of double life going on.

I didn't realise how strange it was until I found myself in her shoes. My girlfriend at university went by her middle name, but her family called her by her first name. Spending holidays with them, when they referred to her by that other name, addressed presents to me and [stranger], as if I were in a relationship with someone else entirely. There is something very weird about seeing someone you feel you know intimately being called by an entirely different name. It's only a passing oddness, obviously, but kind of disorientating.

I also have a friend from university who had a different nickname that is nothing like her given names. Her parents gave her that nickname at birth ('her name is Mary Anne, but we call her Jane' or something like that). She doesn't like the nickname so when she went to university she would just start using her first given name.

I once was at her hometown for a celebration and I got so confused when her family and childhoodfriends would talk about Jane while I only knew Mary :my_biggrin:

Almost the same story with a friend of my parents. The wife of the couple always liked a certain name and had invisioned that her husband would have that name (let's say John). So when she ended up with someone with a different name she decided she would just call him John from then on. So when my parents met them afterwards they only knew him by John. They went to the wedding and people would be say: 'have you seen Gary?' and they said: 'We don't know Gary', 'but he is the groom', 'oohhh, you mean John!'

They ended up divorcing before I was born and he took his normal name again so to me this guy's name is just Gary.

7 hours ago, Karma said:

No, it’s not just you :) .  Our daughter has two middle names - I wanted my mum’s middle name, but since my MIL had three sons and was excited about having a granddaughter, I felt I couldn’t leave her out (aren’t I nice!).  So DD has both of their middle names as hers.  They’re both classic girls names and sound nice together.  She’s 21 and likes them.  I had two middle names, hyphenated, but they were terrible and when I hadn’t a midlife crisis at 40 I formally deleted them.  My parents were a bit upset I think, but they were terrible.  Definitely worth the hassle.

My son has two middle names too and they are both the names of his grandfathers. They go very nicely together. 

I don't think you can legally give your child more than 1 middle name in my country. Tbh, right now most people don't have any middle name, but I know it's common in many other countries. I really like the custom they have in Spanish-speaking countries (it's  like that only in those? Correct me if I'm wrong) where you get a surname from both of your parents. I feel like it's more fair to both of the parents, although it does generate really looking names :)

8 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I do. Only because my parents couldn't agree on one middle name so they gave me both. Now my daughter has my middle names as her first and middle name (first name is slightly modified).

My husband doesn't have a middle name, so I always joke he can have one of mine. :)

My husbands family is Mennonite and even though they have huge families- they all use the same names. So there will always be a Peter, Henry, William, Isaac, Anne, Mary, Helen and Margaret, Sarah.

So I have 2 sister in laws who are Anne (one goes by Annie), 2 Margaret (one goes by Margie)

and I have probably 30 some nieces and nephews who are also having kids so we wanted to find a name for our son that wasn’t one of those but wasn’t Trendi you know?

23 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

So she's technically overdue now, right?

Yeah, if she was due yesterday she's 1 day past her due date.

27 minutes ago, Meggo said:

My husbands family is Mennonite and even though they have huge families- they all use the same names. So there will always be a Peter, Henry, William, Isaac, Anne, Mary, Helen and Margaret, Sarah.

So I have 2 sister in laws who are Anne (one goes by Annie), 2 Margaret (one goes by Margie)

and I have probably 30 some nieces and nephews who are also having kids so we wanted to find a name for our son that wasn’t one of those but wasn’t Trendi you know?

I have always assumed this is why so many of the most common names have nick names. There were so many people with the same names that they had to distinguish them somehow.

30 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

So she's technically overdue now, right?

which means 10 days from now according to Jill 

:D

remember Jill is her doctor.  The blurry vision of jill 

9 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I have three names and it's massive. First name (9 letters) Middle Name #1 Paternal Grandmother's Name (3 letters) Middle Name #2 Maternal Grandmother's Name (8 Letters) Surname (6 letters). 26 Letters is too much to give a child. My parents were insane. 

I was given the name of my mother's godmother. It's relatively old fashioned and doesn't at all jive with the red hair and pasty skin. :P 

7 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I have three names and it's massive. First name (9 letters) Middle Name #1 Paternal Grandmother's Name (3 letters) Middle Name #2 Maternal Grandmother's Name (8 Letters) Surname (6 letters). 26 Letters is too much to give a child. My parents were insane. 

I was given the name of my mother's godmother. It's relatively old fashioned and doesn't at all jive with the red hair and pasty skin. :P 

I have 23 letters but my mother has 33 letters by birth and 40 after marriage, it never fits on creditcards.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived