IGNORED

Joy and Austin: 248 Days Since the Wedding and Still Counting

Coconut Flan

28 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I have three names and it's massive. First name (9 letters) Middle Name #1 Paternal Grandmother's Name (3 letters) Middle Name #2 Maternal Grandmother's Name (8 Letters) Surname (6 letters). 26 Letters is too much to give a child. My parents were insane. 

I was given the name of my mother's godmother. It's relatively old fashioned and doesn't at all jive with the red hair and pasty skin. :P 

I just counted and my son has 27 letters in his name! We joke that his name sounds like it comes straight out of the royal family.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm slightly jealous of people with middle names. I have only my 4 letter first name. I love it, but it would be nice to have some nickname options or a chance to go by middle name. 

15 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

IThey divorced a few years later because he's an epic asshole, and the kid turned 18 and changed his name back to what his mom originally named him and refuses to speak to his father. My sister's husband is a III and they both refused his name is ridiculous, his father (babies grandfather) is still pouting and the boy is 7 years old. 

Was the name worse than Spurgeon or Wilberforce? LOL

2 hours ago, nst said:

which means 10 days from now according to Jill 

:D

remember Jill is her doctor.  The blurry vision of jill 

Just remember that Jolly Muffin is a professional nurse. She knows it is best to labor for 70 plus hours. Everyone should follow her safe ways.

I hope Joy is in the hospital laboring right now and not in her living room with her pretend midwife sister. 

I'm trying to resist being interested in the birth of this Duggarling but I just can't resist! I hope the baby comes within a week, rather than being very overdue.

My full name (1 first, 1 middle, 2 surnames) has 23 letters and two punctuation marks. I like feeling like the only one in the world with my name though :P It might not be the case, but I'm pretty sure it is.

My dad is a junior. Before I was born, he and my mom decided that if I was a boy, I would not be carrying on the name because it would just get too confusing. It got confusing when someone would call asking for John (not his actual name but you get the point) and whoever answered the phone would have to ask "Which one?". Also my dad's dad ended up being a pretty crappy dad who walked out on his family, so my parents had no desire to carry on that legacy. Not that they ended up having any boys anyway. I got a fairly common first name (though I go by a very common nickname and constantly run into people with my name) and a middle name from my dad's best friend who passed away from cancer six months before I was born. I picked my sister's first name (I was extremely stubborn about it and eventually my parents just gave in), which is also very common, and my parents gave her a middle name after a previous English Queen (my mom loves royal history).

45 minutes ago, JillRodsEyeliner said:

Just remember that Jolly Muffin is a professional nurse. She knows it is best to labor for 70 plus hours. Everyone should follow her safe ways.

Jolly Muffin is possibly one of my favorite typos ever.  Sounds like a nurse-clown from a children's TV show.  

26 minutes ago, Caskett4ever said:

My dad is a junior. Before I was born, he and my mom decided that if I was a boy, I would not be carrying on the name because it would just get too confusing. It got confusing when someone would call asking for John (not his actual name but you get the point) and whoever answered the phone would have to ask "Which one?". Also my dad's dad ended up being a pretty crappy dad who walked out on his family, so my parents had no desire to carry on that legacy. Not that they ended up having any boys anyway. I got a fairly common first name (though I go by a very common nickname and constantly run into people with my name) and a middle name from my dad's best friend who passed away from cancer six months before I was born. I picked my sister's first name (I was extremely stubborn about it and eventually my parents just gave in), which is also very common, and my parents gave her a middle name after a previous English Queen (my mom loves royal history).

My friends thought it would be cute to let their eldest daughter get involved in the naming process for their second daughter.  Unfortunately, daughter #1 thought the baby should be named after her and her favorite princess.  She was INSISTENT that her new sister be named "Audrey2 Rapunzel".  Naturally naming a child after a man-eating plant  from Little Shop of Horrors and Rapunzel wasn't exactly ideal, so they tried to get her to change the name.  Nope.  Audrey2 Rapunzel was it.  Then when they tried to break the news to her that they would NOT be going with either Audrey2 or Rapunzel for the name, she took it pretty hard.  

They're on baby #4 now, and they don't discuss names with ANYONE until after the child is born and named. Lesson learned.  

9 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

My friends thought it would be cute to let their eldest daughter get involved in the naming process for their second daughter.  Unfortunately, daughter #1 thought the baby should be named after her and her favorite princess.  She was INSISTENT that her new sister be named "Audrey2 Rapunzel".  Naturally naming a child after a man-eating plant  from Little Shop of Horrors and Rapunzel wasn't exactly ideal, so they tried to get her to change the name.  Nope.  Audrey2 Rapunzel was it.  Then when they tried to break the news to her that they would NOT be going with either Audrey2 or Rapunzel for the name, she took it pretty hard.

You called?

13 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

They're on baby #4 now, and they don't discuss names with ANYONE until after the child is born and named. Lesson learned.  

My sister in law and I are both pregnant right now.  My 4 year old niece has decreed that her sibling will be named Sprinkle Zoey and my baby will be named Rainbow Twilight Sparkle.  

2 hours ago, AlwaysExcited said:

I'm slightly jealous of people with middle names. I have only my 4 letter first name. I love it, but it would be nice to have some nickname options or a chance to go by middle name. 

If you want a middle name you can pick one that you like, and then get that added? You can change your name? 

18 minutes ago, Nargus said:
36 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Jolly Muffin is possibly one of my favorite typos ever.  Sounds like a nurse-clown from a children's TV show.  

Audrey isn't an odd name at all. I would have named her that and the 2 could have been a cute childhood joke that would gradually wear off. Rapunzel is a different matter :)

32 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

My 3times grandmother named Cinderella. Born in the 1850s. All her siblings have normal names so I have no idea why she ended up Cinderella. She went by Rilla or Lilla.  

Went to uni with a Cinderella! She called herself Cindy so we assumed her name was Cynthia... until a post went up listing lab schedules.

11 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Audrey isn't an odd name at all. I would have named her that and the 2 could have been a cute childhood joke that would gradually wear off. Rapunzel is a different matter :)

I was more agreeing that letting kids in on the naming process is a dangerous door to open. 

This girl I knew growing up was a jr to her mom and I remember being like 50% that's so cool/50% that's so confusing but you'll more than likely get used to it. My name on my birth certificate isn't the same as what I go by now ( my parents threw a name on my brother's and I birth certificate since they were still waiting for my grandparents to official name us based on the culture). I had two middle names (still technically do but I honestly go by one for all professional documents) but on my original one my aunt wanted me named by princess Eugenie which my mom originally comprised with a middle name instead of first ( I really don't think I look like a Genie to be honest...)

9 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

The grandmother honouring is nice, although a different friend of mine ended up with a name that was apparently not even that common when it was given to her grandmother and is almost archaic now. On the positive side no one in her class has ever had the same name as her!

Yep!  I'm the oldest child in a Greek family and I was named after my paternal grandmother.  I have two younger sisters, the first of which was named after my maternal grandmother and then the youngest was given the female version of my paternal grandfather's name. 

My mom has a very common Greek name, but struggles with it here in the US.  Because of that, she wanted to give my sisters and I "normal" legal names.  So our baptismal names are the same as out grandparents' names, but our legal names are interpretations of them, which I am very grateful for.  My cousins, on the other hand, have their baptismal names as their legal names, so they have "normal" Greek names which are fairly unique here.  

As for the name length conversation, my last name alone has 13 letters (my first and middle names have a very average 4 and 6 letters, respectively).  I don't want to give up my last name when I get married and if everything goes according to plan, my boyfriend and I would end up hyphenating our last names, making it 21 letters (and a hyphen) long.  

20 letters exactly in my full name (I just counted). My mum had a friend with my name as a little kid and according to her she was a very nice little girl. So in some sense I was named after her, but my mum also just really loved the name. She had a childhood friend with my middle name, too, but that's more of a coincidence as my middle name is my grandma's first name. As for my last name, it's so Quebecois that it's like being smacked over the head with a maple-syrup-covered snowshoe. Je me souviens. Tabarnac.

32 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Audrey IS a lovely name, but unfortunately it is ALSO the name of the young lady who was trying to name her sister.  She didn't want her sister to completely share her name, so her solution was to add the 2 to indicate that SHE was the original, older Audrey. So while the parents could have dropped it...then they would have two daughters close in age both named Audrey.  Maria Theresa of Austria pulled off giving all her daughters the same first name (though not really, she was capitalizing on a naming convention now uncommon), but I'm not sure in the modern era it's so easy to get away with naming your daughters the same thing!

I gotta say, in a world that accepts Jrs and numerics of men being named after their fathers but balks at a woman giving a daughter her own name, I like Audrey's style.  She's got a great name, she knows it, so she thinks all her siblings should share it!   Who better to honor and hope your kid emulates than your original and obviously awesome child?!?

I think her parents are happy to NOT be on Audrey4 now though.  

And I thought of you when I wrote the story, @Audrey2!

My husband wants to name a daughter after me, but our son is not after him.  I think I'm opposed because of confusion.  Anyway it can happen that way.

My name has 19 letters (7 in first name, 8 in middle, 4-letter surname.)

Dang, I am waiting for baby news for three couples (Joy, plus Elissa and NR-Anna Maxwell who are also due very soon). 

37 minutes ago, Nargus said:

I was more agreeing that letting kids in on the naming process is a dangerous door to open. 

My friend's let their 5 year old son pick his little brother's name. He was obsessed with Thomas The Tank Engine at the time, so thankfully he picked Thomas James.

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Was the name worse than Spurgeon or Wilberforce? LOL

The name is Dorrance, you be the judge.

12 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

My name has 19 letters (7 in first name, 8 in middle, 4-letter surname.)

Dang, I am waiting for baby news for three couples (Joy, plus Elissa and NR-Anna Maxwell who are also due very soon). 

Your wait is one third over - NR-Anna's baby has arrived! Head on over to the Maxwell forum! :P 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived