IGNORED

Chelsea Instagram

Milly-Molly-Mandy

7 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

this monstrosity is decribed as a "shappy chic cocoon"

The look on the baby's face shows even she knows that thing is straight from hell. 

• Haha 6
  • I Agree 2

20 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I almost hate to say this, but I’ve seen a ton of gender (cough cough cough) reveal cakes that are a variation on this theme. “Guns or glitter” and “Boots or ballet” come to mind. Because women can’t wear boots???

Usually what people do surrounding their own life events doesn't bother me, even if it's nothing close to what I would do. But for some reason, these kinds of "gender reveal" parties annoy me to no end. I'm about 12 weeks pregnant and we're on the fence about finding out sex at all. If we do, we likely won't tell anyone because it really doesn't affect how we raise an infant (aside from deciding about circumcision, etc.). Find out if you want, don't find out if don't want to know, throw a party, whatever! Just don't decide who your child is going to be before they're born based on their genitalia. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

1 minute ago, Runningfromreality said:

Usually what people do surrounding their own life events doesn't bother me, even if it's nothing close to what I would do. But for some reason, these kinds of "gender reveal" parties annoy me to no end. I'm about 12 weeks pregnant and we're on the fence about finding out sex at all. If we do, we likely won't tell anyone because it really doesn't affect how we raise an infant (aside from deciding about circumcision, etc.). Find out if you want, don't find out if don't want to know, throw a party, whatever! Just don't decide who your child is going to be before they're born based on their genitalia. 

For the most part, I’m cool with the idea of a sex reveal, but the forced dichotomy gets to me every time. I grew up in boots. I know men who do ballet. I know plenty of women who hunt or use guns. I know guys who love glitter and ruffles. It seems silly, if not harmful, to cram a person who isn’t even born yet into a pre-arranged category. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 2

59 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

For the most part, I’m cool with the idea of a sex reveal, but the forced dichotomy gets to me every time. I grew up in boots. I know men who do ballet. I know plenty of women who hunt or use guns. I know guys who love glitter and ruffles. It seems silly, if not harmful, to cram a person who isn’t even born yet into a pre-arranged category. 

Agreed, simple pink or blue doesn't bother me, while boys can like pink and girls blue, it is simple way to reveal the sex but the themes for them are getting dumber. I have no interest in firing a gun now but as a child tomboy me would have preferred riffles over ruffles any day. I danced from the ages 5 to 7 after that I did Karate for a while and usually played football at weekends with my friends, was not good enough for a team though.

• Upvote 4

Why would you buy such expensive, hard-to-wash outfits for what is essentially (for about six months) a screaming tube of vomit and shit? 

Christening outfits are one thing, because the kid only wears those for a few hours at most. I'm sure even Wills and Kate took the very rare, expensive, one-of-a-kind christening dress off their kids as soon as the pictures were done because like fuck are they letting Prince Louis projectile vomit all over 100-year-old lace. But it looks like this lady designs "everyday" apparel for babies. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I mentioned on another thread I’m tempted to have a “sex reveal” party when the time comes. Decorations for the party will be from a sex toy store. Genitalia confetti, genitalia balloons, etc. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 11
  • Love 7

20 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I mentioned on another thread I’m tempted to have a “sex reveal” party when the time comes. Decorations for the party will be from a sex toy store. Genitalia confetti, genitalia balloons, etc. 

Will you invite me? Because someone needs or shout, “surprise, it’s a penis!!” loudly enough for the neighbors to hear. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 15
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

841028451_pinterestthrewup.JPG.53d21ef269c46d1a50eb9e8a6766cb95.JPG

this monstrosity is decribed as a "shappy chic cocoon"

Hide contents

Dignity seems to be the last thing these poor babies are clothed with. Just wait until she develops the strength to tell mom, no, she's wearing the shredded jeans and t shirt today.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Runningfromreality said:

So am I doing it wrong if I was planning on just bringing our baby home in a normal, cute onesie? Honestly, as first time parents, I think my husband and I are both a little afraid that we'll somehow break the baby, I can't image putting one in an over the top ruffly outfit just for the photo op. Also, bringing all of that stuff to the hospital seems extremely time consuming and insane. I just have so many questions for people who do this. 

Trust me, babies are stronger than you think!  You won't break the baby, you will love and cherish the baby and raise him or her to be a great person.  (Some people don't like saying "it" about babies and I wasn't sure so I didn't want to say it to you). You will be great parents!

My father bought a lacy, very girly baby dress for me when we found out we were having a girl, so that is what she wore home from the hospital.  It would probably have been a dress anyway, but it was special because it was from my dad.

There was a picture a few pages back where they were in the hospital lobby.  At the back of the picture was the nurse's station and the two nurses looked very bemused.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

31 minutes ago, Briefly said:

Trust me, babies are stronger than you think!  You won't break the baby, you will love and cherish the baby and raise him or her to be a great person.  (Some people don't like saying "it" about babies and I wasn't sure so I didn't want to say it to you). You will be great parents!

If I didn't break any of my kids, you won't either. Babies are tough little critters. Ever see a 2 year old fall down 5 BRICK steps and bounce up like nothing happened? That's my #2 granddaughter. Ever see an 18 month old climb to the top of a 6' tall bookcase? That was my youngest (#2 son). He was the one I'd find sleeping on the floor at 7-8 months (he wasn't even walking yet) and blame the other kids for getting him out of his crib. Nope, little critter climbed out in the middle of the night. 

They're amazing little creatures and it's so much fun to watch them grow and really show their personalities. My grown up kids are still so much like how they were as newborns. Daughter could sleep her life away, didn't like being cold, was stubborn as all hell. She still is the same way at 35. #1 son was change-resistant, liked to be alone, had a bottomless pit for a stomach. He's the same at 31. #2 son was always into something, moving anything fascinated the hell out of him, could go from calm to full meltdown in 0.2 seconds. He hasn't changed much in 28 years. 

Enjoy the little one...you can't spoil them by cuddling, hugging on them, rocking them to sleep...enjoy it, it goes by way too fast. 

• Love 9

I admit I don't get the trend of gender reveal parties in addition to baby showers. Now it might be fun to do a reveal at the shower but it seems excessive to have two different parties. I mean you do you and all that, it's just not for me. I don't much care for parties in any sense. It does make me wonder what Pomeroy baby showers are like though... ?

• I Agree 7

23 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Will you invite me? Because someone needs or shout, “surprise, it’s a penis!!” loudly enough for the neighbors to hear. 

Sure!! I’m not sure if I can invite my mom to this, or my grandma. They’d be horrified. One idea I have for the reveal is to fill a box with either penis or vagina helium-filled balloons. I open the box and penii (I really want this to be the plural form of penis) or vaginas fly out. 

I don’t know if anyone else has watched Grace & Frankie, but there was one scene where Frankie said that gender reveal parties were ridiculous and that they’d throw a gender decision party for the baby when they’re older.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

Our gender reveal was at the birth of my kids. You couldn’t pay me to find out. Actually I had to constantly tell the nurses not to tell me. I guess it’s so uncommon and the gender was written on the chart so it almost slipped out like 4 times before I gave birth. It was crazy annoying. 

• Love 4

We discussed find out and not finding out, then my control freak tendencies made me realize that I really, really wanted to know.  If somebody asked, we told them.  If they didn't want to know, like my boss, we tried not to say anything.  But I was glad that we found out.  I don't think I really would be a fan of the gender reveal parties, but it might be fun to combine with a baby shower I guess.

• Upvote 1

With my second I didn’t find out and the ultrasound tech was awesome! She didn’t even write the sex on my file! She was literally the only person on earth who knew and I’m sure she forgot the next day. I loved the fact that no one knew the sex before my second kid was born. 

• Upvote 3

My mum didn’t find out with either me or my brother. 

I don’t have kids, and I don’t know if I’d find out or not. I can imagine really wanting to, but also not wanting to. There are also the occasional cases where it’s wrong, or where the baby is in an awkward position and you can’t find out. 

• Upvote 1

My mother's OBGYN accidentally told her that I was a girl. I think my mother didn't mind: she was a 25 years old single mother-to-be and probably had other things to worry about. When she got pregnant for the second time she quickly knew that it was a boy since everything felt so different for her. She never even asked her doctor. Lastly my sister arrived and again she knew that this was a girl.. 

I think I would like to know wether I'm having a girl or boy, but a gender reveal party wouldn't be my thing. 

7 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Sure!! I’m not sure if I can invite my mom to this, or my grandma. They’d be horrified. One idea I have for the reveal is to fill a box with either penis or vagina helium-filled balloons. I open the box and penii (I really want this to be the plural form of penis) or vaginas fly out. 

I don’t know if anyone else has watched Grace & Frankie, but there was one scene where Frankie said that gender reveal parties were ridiculous and that they’d throw a gender decision party for the baby when they’re older.

Oh Frankie was into the party! It was actually Grace who said that those parties are ridiculous, and Frankie disagreed but said that they'll also have to throw a gender decision party.

Grace: "Oh, God, I'm thrilled that Bud and Allison are having this ridiculous whatever-it-is party so I can see you."

Frankie: "Me, too. But a gender reveal party is not ridiculous, Grace. I mean, obviously, we're also gonna need to have a gender decision party when the child is 12."

And on the topic of both Grace and Frankie and vagina balloons...

Spoiler

medium-clean.jpg

:pb_lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I would obviously ask my hypothetical transgender kid's express permission to do this and I would never dream of doing it if my kid wasn't 10000% on board, but I always thought it would be kinda fun to have "WHOOPS MY BAD IT'S A BOY/GIRL/NEITHER" as a theme for a transgender coming out/starting hormones party. I have seen some trans people throw "it's a boy/girl" parties to celebrate coming out and I always thought that was kinda cute. 

As for revealing the sex of a baby, I don't see anything wrong with a pink/blue balloon or whatever, but the full-on parties are ridiculous and I especially don't like the over-the-top gendering. Pink or blue, fine, lace or violence, not fine. 

• Upvote 5

I found out with one of mine but not the other, but we kept it a secret and didn’t tell anyone. I absolutely LOVED knowing and we would have found out again if we’d had a third kid. 

• Upvote 1

I'm picturing the scene in "Murphy Brown" where she's showing off her ultrasound photo and Corky says "Look, there's his little woo-woo!"

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

My mum didn’t find out with either me or my brother. 

I don’t have kids, and I don’t know if I’d find out or not. I can imagine really wanting to, but also not wanting to. There are also the occasional cases where it’s wrong, or where the baby is in an awkward position and you can’t find out. 

At a job I had in Texas, my boss's son and his wife were so excited that they were having a girl.  They had the full pink everything, stereotypical girl nursery, all sorts of monogrammed stuff, you name it and it was ready for the girl.  They were combining family names into the first and last name and quite a bit was engraved/monogrammed, etc.,  The sonogram tech was absolutely certain that it was a girl.  The were absolutely convinced.  Up until the point of delivery, when HE was born.  After a few years, it was funny to them.  But at the time it was a big mess.

• Upvote 6

3 of my cousins had babies this past year (the first great-grandchildren for my grandparents came all at once apparently), and only 1 set of parents found out the sex. I was a little miffed at the way my family was talking about it, that "don't you want to be surprised" and pressuring people not to find out. It's a valid decision either way and don't start parent-shaming already!!

I think I've shared this before but my parents wanted to be surprised by my sex at birth. My mom went into premature labor and found out the day before I was born because a doctor or nurse said something, but she said as her water broke in the mall at 32 weeks she had enough to be surprised about. 

(Are placental abruptions hereditary? Asking for a friend)

Edited by neurogirl
  • Upvote 3