IGNORED

Safe at Home (Arndts) 3: No penguins were harmed in the making of this thread

samurai_sarah

42 minutes ago, Petronella said:

Wait, how is this known? I thought kept pretty good track of the Arndt threads, but this is news to me!

Wondering this too. I guess I didn't read close enough the first time to see that she was talking about an arndt as opposed to speaking generally 

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Eastcoastn said:

I wonder if being non-fundie but non-"average" has been a barrier for it too. They wouldn't fit in with people like JB&Michelle because they're too modern. But they also seem too fundie-lite to fit in with the average person.

My sense is that the fundie lite thing is far less of a problem than the enmeshment and relative isolation.  As the years go on, it becomes harder for me to imagine any woman being invited into the club and even harder to imagine any woman really wanting to be in the club.   A manboy will have to break free of the family, and that can be hard to do for people in their situation.  

5 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

My sense is that the fundie lite thing is far less of a problem than the enmeshment and relative isolation.  As the years go on, it becomes harder for me to imagine any woman being invited into the club and even harder to imagine any woman really wanting to be in the club.   A manboy will have to break free of the family, and that can be hard to do for people in their situation.  

Agree, the fundie lite part is not the problem.  There are plenty of fundie-ish people around in their area (this is considered part of Bible belt) , so the fundie beliefs would not be seen as odd.  It's the family overinvolvement.   Lots of people, including fundie-ish ones, would see it as a problem, as not being normal.   Add the whole "all we need is the family" insularity makes it hard for accepting others into the fold and the enmeshment probably makes any manboy dating someone a "family issue".  I imagine that anyone that a manboy dates would have to pass muster with the family as they are viewed as possibly joining the family.  Getting ahead of things certainly, but this family is probably not much different than those fundie families who believe in "dating with a purpose".

Someone in an enmeshed, insular family like this would have to break out to get a life.  But the FOO programming would be difficult to overcome.  

59 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

Getting ahead of things certainly, but this family is probably not much different than those fundie families who believe in "dating with a purpose".

They do believe in dating with a purpose/courting.  Rick's on record.

1 minute ago, JenniferJuniper said:

They do believe in dating with a purpose/courting.  Rick's on record.

Thanks.  I couldn't remember if Rick said anything about it or not.  Certainly not surprising.

3 hours ago, Petronella said:

Wait, how is this known? I thought kept pretty good track of the Arndt threads, but this is news to me!

I googled a few of the oldest — or maybe just looked for Arndts in the bi-state area and there was one with an address in Soulard. Had an apartment-style number or letter, so I presumed he rented or owned a condo or flat (“flat” = generic word for apartment in this neck of the woods).

This was about 2 years ago. Can’t remember where or if it was discussed here (drat!).

3 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I googled a few of the oldest — or maybe just looked for Arndts in the bi-state area and there was one with an address in Soulard. Had an apartment-style number or letter, so I presumed he rented or owned a condo or flat (“flat” = generic word for apartment in this neck of the woods).

I could be wrong, but I think Paul had two FB pages and one gave a St. Louis address?  I think it turned out to be one of their businesses.  A PO Box or something?   

33 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

I could be wrong, but I think Paul had two FB pages and one gave a St. Louis address?  I think it turned out to be one of their businesses.  A PO Box or something?   

There was more than a PO Box. But I could be misremembering. 

I couldn’t remember if I’d fed the Junedogs last night. My roommate couldn’t find an envelope he needed to mail (it was in his car, where he’d taken it with the intent of going to the PO).

ohboy....

3 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

There was more than a PO Box. But I could be misremembering. 

I couldn’t remember if I’d fed the Junedogs last night. My roommate couldn’t find an envelope he needed to mail (it was in his car, where he’d taken it with the intent of going to the PO).

ohboy....

The Brieflydog would let me know if she missed a meal! She's a beagle and they are ruled by their bellies.

The address could be a mailing center, we have one for our business and it's a street address with a box number but it reads like an apartment address.

10 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think FJ my implode if the Arndts started snapping up all the SAHD old maids. Sarah Maxwell, Sarah Mally, Esther Staddon, the oldest Waller girl, one of the Smith girls in her 30s. There are so many...

Now you're giving me an idea for a new show, a la Here Come the Brides, which was on sometime in the late 1960's and featured a group of women who came on a ship from Massachusetts to marry the bachelors of Seattle. It was fictional (just to be clear). While it wasn't on in my lifetime, a friend remembered it, checked it out from the library, and showed it to me. Maybe these fundie maidens could be imported to the Arndt house...

I need to clarify- this was very early pioneer Seattle, when it was populated by a bunch of lumberjacks, according to the show. 

41 minutes ago, Briefly said:

The Brieflydog would let me know if she missed a meal! She's a beagle and they are ruled by their bellies.

The address could be a mailing center, we have one for our business and it's a street address with a box number but it reads like an apartment address.

Love Beagles almost as much as Shepherds!

interesting about the mailing center. If I find the address again, I’ll make a rendezvous to check it out. 

2 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Now you're giving me an idea for a new show, a la Here Come the Brides

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers.  Go.  Match 'em up.  

3 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Now you're giving me an idea for a new show, a la Here Come the Brides, which was on sometime in the late 1960's and featured a group of women who came on a ship from Massachusetts to marry the bachelors of Seattle. It was fictional (just to be clear). While it wasn't on in my lifetime, a friend remembered it, checked it out from the library, and showed it to me. Maybe these fundie maidens could be imported to the Arndt house...

I need to clarify- this was very early pioneer Seattle, when it was populated by a bunch of lumberjacks, according to the show. 

Just to be clear, the SHOW was fictional, but the boat full of brides was very real! They’re known as the Mercer Girls! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer_Girls

15 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I watched that show! I was madly in love with Jeremy Bolt, the youngest brother, played by Bobby Sherman. I'm going to have to see if my local library has the show and take a walk down memory lane.

On January 22, 2018 at 10:58 AM, Carm_88 said:

Guys, come on! It's a double birthday. :P I think if they ever started taking pictures at the table like normal people, we'd all start looking for the aliens. :P

19248156_1645250332184581_6959688001644701147_n.jpg

Holy dancing cheese puffs wtf are these people!  Bedroom birthdays though make perfect sense.  That's where they were conceived.   Ewwwww

btw I can't take Cr for the cheese puff thing lol

14 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Holy dancing cheese puffs wtf are these people!  Bedroom birthdays though make perfect sense.  That's where they were conceived.   Ewwwww

btw I can't take Cr for the cheese puff thing lol

My daughter's birthday is in a few days.  I think I'll yank her chain a little and tell her we're celebrating her birthday in the bedroom! :)

19 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Just to be clear, the SHOW was fictional, but the boat full of brides was very real! They’re known as the Mercer Girls! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer_Girls

Thank you for expressing that more eloquently than I did. I had read that it was based on reality but I clarified poorly that it was not a reality show, like The Bachelor.

On January 23, 2018 at 1:27 PM, catlady said:

is the pumpkin supposed to be a substitute baby for the godless professor?  so far, that's the only reason i can think of for giving it a bath.

Pumpkin baptizing ?!!!'

Going to prayer closet.............

They dance so no Dugger Maxwell courtship here. I wonder if Rick fell over on the dance floor?

8FB97A59-FAA7-4663-8C68-E5C6E90DC9A7.jpeg

For apparently competent professional photographers, that birthday picture is terrible!

2 hours ago, mydoggoskeeper said:

For apparently competent professional photographers, that birthday picture is terrible!

I'm guessing it was just spur of the moment with someone's phone. The camera used makes all the difference. I don't expect photographers to constantly have their professional camera around their necks at all times. But most people have their phone in their pocket most of the time. 

5 hours ago, mydoggoskeeper said:

Have you seen their wedding pictures? They're amazing! I wouldn't judge from the birthday picture. It may not have been any of the photographers. 

On 3/26/2018 at 6:42 PM, Audrey2 said:

Asa Mercer's "girls"! I don't know about the show, and I assume it was heavily fictionalized, but it definitely happened. The official history chronicled at  http://www.historylink.org/File/1125 might also be sanitized. After all, the descendants of these women are part of Seattle Society now. I'm sure these women were preceded by a boatload or two of prostitutes. 

Every few months I come here to see if anything has developed with this family.  None of these people want to hold someone's hand or live on their own? None of them want to know an independent life where they make their own decisions? A life of stuffed penguins and mowing the lawn for dad is actually fulfilling for them? The kidults all seem so genuinely nice and capable of having their own lives and yet nothing again. *throws hands up in the air*

2 hours ago, Amapola said:

Every few months I come here to see if anything has developed with this family.  None of these people want to hold someone's hand or live on their own? None of them want to know an independent life where they make their own decisions? A life of stuffed penguins and mowing the lawn for dad is actually fulfilling for them? The kidults all seem so genuinely nice and capable of having their own lives and yet nothing again. *throws hands up in the air*

Rick and Cathy may be the best brainwashers and possibly the worst parents! 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived