IGNORED

Maxwell 13: And Another One Bites the Dust - John is Engaged

Coconut Flan

17 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Joe and Elissa really aren't around the family as much as the other two married families. Let's hope john does the same. 

Haven't they gone a long time(for a Maxwell) between pregnancies too? Maybe Joe was secretly the rebellious one and now Daddy can't control him as much since he got married. Joe and Elise really don't seem to hang out a lot with the family like the rest of the married couples. Maybe they are out having f*n! 

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

re: John and Chelsy's future quiver. They'll both be almost 27 when they marry. That's a lot better than 18, but they could easily still have 10 or 12 kids if they stick to their quiverfull ideology.

11 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Haven't they gone a long time(for a Maxwell) between pregnancies too? Maybe Joe was secretly the rebellious one and now Daddy can't control him as much since he got married. Joe and Elise really don't seem to hang out a lot with the family like the rest of the married couples. Maybe they are out having f*n! 

So what are they doing when they are not hanging out with the rest of the family? Do they, GASP, have friends and enjoy spending time with them?? Do they attend church with their family?

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

re: John and Chelsy's future quiver. They'll both be almost 27 when they marry. That's a lot better than 18, but they could easily still have 10 or 12 kids if they stick to their quiverfull ideology.

Chelsy's parents had 10 and the Max's have 8, so my guess will be 9. But I hope it's more like 7. They will have a baby by the first anniversary. Most fundies do. 

I am going to ask a real dumb question:  Don't women who have many (6 plus) vaginal births tend to have some type of "pee-pee" issues for example leakage?  If so, would they potentially have leakage problems while doing the "wild-thing"?  

5 minutes ago, Tatar-tot said:

I am going to ask a real dumb question:  Don't women who have many (6 plus) vaginal births tend to have some type of "pee-pee" issues for example leakage?  If so, would they potentially have leakage problems while doing the "wild-thing"?  

I know many women who only have 2 or 3 kids and they have bladder issues. Not during sex but they can't jump on a trampoline or sneeze without some leakage. They have exercises you can do (kegals) and they even have this interesting type of tampons you can use if you're going to work out and do a bunch of jumping and bouncing. So anyone can have that problem really. 

6 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Well, that house surely is in need of renovation. Actually, I'm quite interested to see how it turns out. Is that a living room with the fireplace and windows high up near the ceiling? If so, that is one dark and depressing living room - perfect for a Maxwell!

And of course it's Stevus who seems to be leading their prayer and not the new house owner himself.

I believe the room with the fireplace is the downstairs family room, that's why the windows are higher.  It is "garden level", not a full basement. The living room is the room in the second picture which has two people looking out the window, we see their backs, I think Jesse and Mary.  You can see on the left side that it has a half wall, open to the stairwell for the split level entry.  This type of home is quite common in my area, especially on sloped lots which this one seems to be.

The last post made me reflect on Steve's rule that men should buy homes debt-free before marrying...

Even if that were his ONLY condition for men courting his daughters, it would still rule out 98% of good fundie boys. Look at those Bontrager brothers, in all ways the perfect Christian husbands but they're living in a rental (Josh), on the parent's property (Carson), and in the family motel (Mitch). In fact I believe all the Bates couples are renters too, and those husbands work hard. Following Steve's logic, they should have waited another 10 years or so to marry.

Without a college degree, very few industries allow young guys to make that much money before their mid-twenties. In fact, web development and coding are one of the few that can be self-taught and yield very high returns. Assuming a boy is able to save up money in the 6-digits in just 6 or 7 years, he would still have to live in a pretty desolate area to afford a house with 3+ bedrooms at that price. So that rules out anyone living near a metropolis where jobs usually are.

The kind of combo the Maxwells have (making good money from home in a cheap area) is extremely rare. The kind of guys who would aspire to court the sheltered Maxwell girls would be farmers, aspiring pastors/ministry leaders, contractors for a family business etc. I can't see a successful, owns-his-own-house kind of fundie boy want to marry any of them. There are gaggles of pretty and FUN-LOVING Christian ladies out there to choose from, with fathers less intimidating than Stevehovah. 

Just adding these thoughts to the long list of reasons why they will never marry. 

I think that they will definitely attend a real church instead of the nursing home church, though they may attend the nursing home for certain events.  Chelsy appears to be used to an active social life.  She's moving to a new city without knowing anyone but her in-laws, and they are not known for being social.  Even many of her neighbors will be Maxwells.  Since she won't be working at a job, the main way for her to meet people with similar perspectives will be to join a decent-sized church and become involved in its' activities.  She has few acceptable alternatives.  And even though it may not please Steve, at least it will be in a religious environment, so he may not be able to overtly undermine it.  As an aside, that may be the best shot for matchmaking candidates for the three sisters, since the potential mates will already be local.

1 hour ago, usedbicycle said:

The last post made me reflect on Steve's rule that men should buy homes debt-free before marrying...

It's such a daft rule at that. What's so un-godly about a mortgage?

And if he allowed his daughters to work at a proper job they'd be able to save some money to buy that house together with their fiancé too, sharing the burden.

And this, in a cult that glorifies marriage and children.

The stupidity of it all.

6 minutes ago, Foudeb said:

It's such a daft rule at that. What's so un-godly about a mortgage?

Exactly. What's so un-Godly about pants? Who the hell knows. Fundies like to invent rules and standards that they can hold each other to I guess to see whose winning the Jesus competition they've all got going on. It's all in their heads. 

I commented on the engagement post also and it wasn't accepted. I merely congratulated them and asked if they also had a no-touch courtship (in the pictures of Joseph and Elissa from their courtship/engagement it was mentioned that they had one). I guess they don't want to admit that John and Chelsy didn't? 

Joseph is in the pictures of John's house. Isn't that him in the plaid in the first picture? No sign of Elissa or Calia though. Hmm.  

5 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Some people are just not very fertile. I have no idea if Joe and Elissa are preventing but I find hard to believe they are doing it already. Using secretly BC after 3-4 kids? Maybe. But just after 1 baby? No way. They are Maxwells and Joseph seems rigid and holier-than-you and in fundieland you need more than 1 kid to be a "real" family.

But I'm impressed Joe is getting so independent (for a Maxwell). It can only be good for Elissa and Calia, except if it means more solitude for them. I mean, they don't share family meetings but if this means they are alone at home, it's even worse. Do we have any evidence that Joe and Elissa socialize?

8 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Also reading the old posts again, and here's Palimpsest with her double wedding prediction.

Good grief.  I'd completely forgotten that I'd predicted that!   Yes, Jesse and Alison should get hitched too.  Then I can gloat properly.

8 hours ago, lilith said:

So John didn't broker the sale with his real estate license?

For some reason (that I've now also forgotten) I got the impression the house was sold at auction.  It happens around here when a house is foreclosed on, bank owned, and sits on the market forever.  John could have got it for a lot less than the estimate.

And that house still looks in pretty shitty condition to me.  It is lucky that John and Joseph are good at construction.  I hope they can fix the damp problem in the family room.

8 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I think the key is to go with pop culture references they'll never get. 

I'm still chuckling over the time @johnhugh got him with Cliff Richard.  Congratulations and jubilations.

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

And that house still looks in pretty shitty condition to me.  It is lucky that John and Joseph are good at construction.  I hope they can fix the damp problem in the family room.

Those pictures look like they are from July so i think John has done more work since then. Maybe that's why he's so thin. He's been working his butt off on the house. 

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I believe we said it was 0.7 of a mile. Notice who is missing yet again. Joe and Elissa really aren't around the family as much as the other two married families. Let's hope john does the same. 

I have fairly high hopes for the relationship between Chelsy and Elissa (John and Joe too). Their houses are only two blocks apart, so should be easier for them to interact with each other than it will be to troop over to the main compound.

Working on the house, praying, fasting, dealing with all the weeping, and moving less than a mile away from the Fatherhouse, would cause anyone to drop a few pounds.  John is now going to become an "extended" family member, after all.

16 minutes ago, Bethella said:

I have fairly high hopes for the relationship between Chelsy and Elissa (John and Joe too). Their houses are only two blocks apart, so should be easier for them to interact with each other than it will be to troop over to the main compound.

We may be too optimistic about the level at which Joe and Elissa have broken away.  I hope they have distanced themselves and that Chelsy and Elissa like each other. 

I really hope Chelsy and John do decide to distance themselves from the rest of the family as much as they can, join a real church, and spend a lot of time with her family.  Otherwise I think Chelsy will be climbing the walls of that debt-free house within months.  All their shared ugly extreme Fundamentalist values won't save the marriage if Chelsy is unhappy at the idea of being absorbed into the MaxBorg.

Hey, Steve.  Over here! :greetings-waveyellow:  You can't protect your adult children's privacy if they want to go public nor control what they do after they have left home.  Nor can you force your future in-laws to buy into your silly controlling ideas.

You do understand how incredibly begrudging and annoyed your engagement announcement sounded.  Also how it might give the impression that you don't want this wedding to happen, or even hope and expect the engagement to be broken off, don't you?  

Even your leg-humpers should be looking at you sideways after that performance.  It really wasn't nice.  Even from you, and we don't expect much niceness from you, let alone graciousness.

Mitchell andBryn Bontrager posted their love story and didn't once use the words court or courtship. They said relationship a few times and used the word date. Although it sounds similar to the usual fundie courtship, I bet the Bontragers' use of the words date and relationship bug the hell out of Steve. 

34 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Hey, Steve.  Over here! :greetings-waveyellow:  You can't protect your adult children's privacy if they want to go public nor control what they do after they have left home.  Nor can you force your future in-laws to buy into your silly controlling ideas.

You do understand how incredibly begrudging and annoyed your engagement announcement sounded.  Also how it might give the impression that you don't want this wedding to happen, or even hope and expect the engagement to be broken off, don't you?  

Even your leg-humpers should be looking at you sideways after that performance.  It really wasn't nice.  Even from you, and we don't expect much niceness from you, let alone graciousness.

QFT

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Chelsy's parents had 10 and the Max's have 8, so my guess will be 9. But I hope it's more like 7. They will have a baby by the first anniversary. Most fundies do. 

Assuming they're both fertile of course. In a culture that prizes women primarily for being wives and mothers it must be incredibly hard for the women who struggle to conceive. It's hard enough in mainstream society, where you are able to have other roles and where you are not solely the sum of your womb. I hope they don't struggle, and I wish them safe and uneventful pregnancies and births, but I also hope they have fewer of them.

7 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

You can have bladder and also fecal incontinence after one pregnancy if you're really unlucky. Depends a bit on what happened on the baby's way out.

8 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I always kind of giggle when I see the "long time (for a Maxwell) between pregnancies". In mainstream life three years would be totally normal. I hope she has a lot of support.

40 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Hey, Steve.  Over here! :greetings-waveyellow: .....

Nor is it very Christian.  It is ego centered.  It is rude.  It is out and out mean.  If he was Catholic he would need to take a trip to the confessional and then make amends.  

Steve blabbers on and on about the Bible.  He even has bible quotes on the wall of his home and in his writings.   Yet, none of the guidance on how to behave and treat others set forth in the Bible seems to be sinking in with him.  

Steve would benefit from a spiritual advisor to help him understand the passages he is studying.  His limited understanding is reflected in his behavior each and every day.

3 hours ago, goldbu said:

I commented on the engagement post also and it wasn't accepted. I merely congratulated them and asked if they also had a no-touch courtship (in the pictures of Joseph and Elissa from their courtship/engagement it was mentioned that they had one). I guess they don't want to admit that John and Chelsy didn't? 

Joseph is in the pictures of John's house. Isn't that him in the plaid in the first picture? No sign of Elissa or Calia though. Hmm.  

I was gonna ask if anyone did that! Cool!

About Joe and Elissa and Calia as a 2-year-old only child, it may be she's had miscarriages, and wants any future pregnancies kept secret until she gives birth. Or, boundaries. If there's no 2nd pregnancy mention in a year, I'll start wondering about secondary infertility.

So, John's house is within walking distance, but maybe a bit more of a walk than the next-door, across the street, and around the corner extended family homes? It's a start. How many close-by houses are there that they can claim?

42 minutes ago, Tatar-tot said:

Steve would benefit from a spiritual advisor to help him understand the passages he is studying.  His limited understanding is reflected in his behavior each and every day.

These patriarchal types (Stevehovah, Rick Arndt, The Duck Biologist, Michael Pearl, et al.)  are just too arrogant and controlling to listen to anyone else, like they think that THEY are god, or something. 

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I'm still chuckling over the time @johnhugh got him with Cliff Richard.  Congratulations and jubilations.

Bless you for that.

Funny enough I did try that again this time but I think Stevie has turned into a secret Cliff fan.

Picture the scene with Stevie at his desk blowing the cow horn with his headphones on listening to Cliff singing, ‘we’re all going on a what some would call a summer holiday’ or ‘Mistletoe and grape juice’ - “I’m just listening to the reversals singing ‘daddy on his knees’ Terri.”

11 hours ago, Alicepooh said:

I was wondering about the same thing: if that's the living room, it's very very small, with fireplace and all.

As mentioned above, that is the family room downstairs.  There is also a bedroom downstairs.  The house is larger than it seems from the sales square footage as the "basement"/downstairs footage can't be included in the official square footage.  It was a big reason houses like that were so popular for awhile. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived