IGNORED

Jinder's Dresses: A Very Subjective Rundown/Review of all Duggar Wedding Gowns

Jinder Roles

My rankings for the moment:

1) Abbie
2) Jinger
3) Jessa
4) Lauren, though I think Jessa and Lauren are about tied for me.
5) Kendra. Too much sparkles and poof for me. One or the other would have been better.
6) Jill
7) Anna. The T shirt style is perfectly fine, it's just way too plain.
8) Joy. The alterations are just so awkward looking.

On 11/23/2018 at 6:40 AM, SweetJuly said:

I actually don't understand why they didn't fit the dress a bit better. I know it came from one of Anna's sisters, but some extra tailoring could perhaps have made it more her own. Was it so ill-fitting because of "modesty"?

I think it was more out of a frugality and lack of sophistication.

• Upvote 4

Fun thread! My rankings and comments:

1. Jessa: I love the color, like the sparkly top, I can live with the skirt. I thought it suit her perfectly. 

2. Kendra: I loved her skirt, fun! The top is OK, I can do sparkly (a la Jessa), but not sparkly white.

3. Jinger: this style of dress is not at all my thing, however, she looked wonderful in it and it really suited her. Deserves the podium. 

4. Abbie: the dress suit her and it looks good.

5. Lauren: they could have done a lot better with the front of the dress, and also, with her hairdo so that the back - which is the one interesting thing about that dress - was not totally hidden by hair and veil.  

6. Anna: I always think she got the short end of the stick as far as Duggar weddings go. The dress is OK and she looks OK, nothing super-flattering or to write home about. 

7.  Joy: the Frankenstein dress. Please do something with your hair.

8. Jill: everything is wrong about this dress: not flattering, awful alterations. Please do something with your hair. 

9. Amy: I thought it's impossible to go below Jill, but there we go! The strapless gown does not flatter her at all, she looks like she could be bursting out of that dress any second. Looks tacky and cheap. 

• Upvote 3

And since people posted their wedding dresses up thread...here is mine, as I was walking down the "aisle" with my dad (aisle in quotes because it was an outdoor wedding ceremony). I erased parts of the pics for privacy of my guests. 

The story is simple: I am an old movie junkie. When I watched Jezebel, I thought: I'l probably never get married, but if I do, it will be a Jezebel-style ruby red wedding dress. So I got it custom-made, in ruby red taffeta silk. I'll probably never wear it again, but I felt wonderful, it fit me and my personality perfectly, and darn it, it was so worth it!

FJpic (3).jpg

• Upvote 16
  • Love 3

Has there been a comparison of Duggar engagement rings before? I'd be curious to see photos of all of them side by side.

Just now, TheMustardCardigan said:

Has there been a comparison of Duggar engagement rings before? I'd be curious to see photos of all of them side by side.

I saw one, somewhere. Probably on a clickbait thing... lol   Let me see if I can find it. :)

https://duggardata.tumblr.com/post/173339186794/fundie-fashion-facts-engagement-rings-part  

• Thank You 4

26 minutes ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

Thanks @SapphireSlytherin! I just got engaged last week so I'm suddenly now a lot more interested in the whole wedding sphere than before, hah.

Oh - how exciting! Best wishes to you!

• Love 2

1 hour ago, rosary said:

About the rings... for their age and jobs---these rings are good. Maybe they don't like big stones?

Nothing in the world wrong with a half-carat, or a quarter-carat, or a 1/5 carat diamond.

That's about the tackiest thing to say, really.  Of all the things to judge these people for, the size of their engagement ring stones is WAY down at the bottom of the list.

I got (happily) married WITHOUT an engagement ring. I now have my mother's ring (I inherited it when she died). It's a half-carat, F, VVS1, .54 carat emerald cut. We have to have it appraised every three years (insurance reasons). Every time, the appraiser makes a point to tell me what a spectacular stone it is, and how stunning the setting/cut is. It's worth far more than a 2-carat included, yellowish "rock" that would cost the same $$ as mine is worth.

Further, FWIW, I'm not really a diamond person - I prefer Sapphires (imagine that). But it's what I've got (for now). Maybe someday I'll get a beautiful sapphire solitaire. Maybe not. Things like this aren't at the top of my "want" list. lol

Edited by SapphireSlytherin
  • Upvote 2
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 1

And it’s not equally tacky to respond with an elaborate description of how it doesn’t matter about ring size and how you couldn’t really care less .... (but hey btw, my stone is just spectactular and stunning)?

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

17 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

And it’s not equally tacky to respond with an elaborate description of how it doesn’t matter about ring size and how you couldn’t really care less .... (but hey btw, my stone is just spectactular and stunning)?

I was POINTING OUT that small stones can be more valuable than HUGE stones (which the tacky person seems to think are the "best."). 

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1

17 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I was POINTING OUT that small stones can be more valuable than HUGE stones (which the tacky person seems to think are the "best."). 

Fair enough. I think you did so with a generous and overwhelming amount of detail.

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Detail is necessary to explain the difference in cut/clarity/color, as well as carats. And to prove I know what I'm talking about, rather than having to explain what/how/etc.

But I'm sorry I offended you.

• Bless Your Heart 2

I am unoffended.

That info about diamonds is fairly common knowledge. Or easy to source if one wants to

https://www.gia.edu/diamond-quality-factor

Your subjective monolouge on not liking them but oh my yours is special and wonderful.... that’s tacky.

Edited by AliceInFundyland
Tacky might be the wrong word. Condescending works also.
  • Upvote 4
  • Fuck You 2
  • Love 1

Okay FJ wedding enthusiasts, this is kinda off topic but I need your help finding a bridesmaid dress! 

My friend needs a long lilac/lavender dress for a wedding in Mexico. She is petite, flat chested and a size 0-2. It definitely does NOT need to be modest, but hopefully under or around $100.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

Okay FJ wedding enthusiasts, this is kinda off topic but I need your help finding a bridesmaid dress! 

My friend needs a long lilac/lavender dress for a wedding in Mexico. She is petite, flat chested and a size 0-2. It definitely does NOT need to be modest, but hopefully under or around $100.

If it's just for her I'd see if there are any bridal consignment shops around! At least worth checking out, save some money and get a nice dress.

• Thank You 1

4 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

I just got into the wedding game five seconds ago but if she's interested in shopping online, I've taken a peek at web sites like Azazie and Birdy Grey, which offer a lot of different styles of dresses in a ton of different colors for bridesmaids. One of their big advertising points is that they're convenient and affordable Birdy Grey in particular sells all their dresses for like $99. I can't personally vouch for these businesses because I've never used them before, but my friend was in a wedding recently and got her dress from Azazie and liked the experience and the dress looked nice on her in her photos.

For the more traditional route I'd say to check department stores, bridal shops, and boutique dress shops.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

Another option is buying material and making an infinity dress :) That's my eventual plan lol

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

Renttherunway.com  :) 

• Upvote 4

Thank you for the suggestions! She's ordering a couple online. 

I must admit, whilst browsing for suitable options I wondered why brides pick such gross colors for their bridal party to wear. Do y'all just want them to look worse/not upstage the bride? I really hope nobody ever asks me to be in their wedding!

• Upvote 1

Ok since we have no upcoming brides, I am sad. My favourite thread drift is looking at the dresses that you guys think you could see the bride in.

Can we play?

Lets do Jana and maybe Anna (when she divorces and re marries someone that is not a dickhead, wank spank). 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

surprise surprise I ended up on a LDS dress site. 

These are some I could see for Jana

fj1.jpg

Spoiler

fj2.jpg

fj3.jpg

fj4.jpg

fj5.jpg

fj6.jpg

maybe this updated and sweeter t shirt dress for Anna barefoot and (not pregnant) on the beach or in a meadow with her new not dick waddy husband to be and the girl's in similar dress styles (or pants if they want) with flowers in her hair and a weight of her shoulders

Sorry i don't know how to put the pics under a spoiler 

Fj7.jpg

Edited by hoipolloi
Put multiple images (2-6) behind spoiler tag
  • Upvote 7

^^ That first dress has my vote for sure. I love how fitted it is, like Lauren's dress, only with more visual interest. I like the bold pattern of the lace, and the fact that it doesn't look overly fundy. It's got a discreet sexiness to it, and a sophistication that would suit Jana (I can't see her in a poofy princess Kendra dress).

I found this modest dress really pretty. It has an ethereal quality to it, and I'm a sucker for lining that contrasts with the beaded/lacy top layerof fabric. 

Edited by VeryNikeSeamstress
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic