IGNORED

Josh, Anna, M-Squad Pt 13: Awaiting M5

choralcrusader8613

11 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Does anyone else remember The Great Space Coaster and Gary Gunu?

Yes!!!!  I loved the Great Space Coaster, and Gary Gnu was my absolute favorite.  I also loved those cute little puff ball creatures and La Linea, which was literally just an animated line that would morph into things.  Such a good show. 

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, justodd said:

I used to love Zillions, which was basically Consumer Reports for kids. They'd review fast food kids meals and talk about deceptive toy commercials. Sounds dull, but was actually really fun and interesting!

I was a Zillions fan too! I have a weird recollection of maybe reading the pizzeria review issue in a vaguely Italian restaurant, but can't decide if I'm making up my own memory there. 

1 hour ago, PumaLover said:

My contribution to the thread drift-my fave after school show was Fun House! Kids had to run through this obstacle course and grab flags. I had a crush on JD Roth and was so jealous of all the kids on the show. I always wanted to do the obstacle course. My friends and I recreated it in my backyard and it was so fun.

Never seen that show, but that just reminded me of the Nickelodeon show Legends of the Hidden Temple! Kids climbing all over things and searching for pieces of treasure, rather than flags. (They made some kind of TV movie out of it last year too.)

And a few years later I lived in a place that got SkyTV and got hooked on Crystal Maze. That was my after school show of choice since my options were relatively few but Crystal Maze was always so interesting. I know they have ones real people can play in now in the UK based on the ones from the actual show, but sadly, so far none in the US. 

Dreadful drek loved by my daughter when she was little

• Word Girl
  • Word World
  • Dinosaur Train
  • Sid the Science Kid
  • Dragon Tails.

And so many more.

I was only allowed to watch "Watch With Mother" - Andy Pandy etc - but we listened to the radio as well. Children's Favourites with Uncle Mac had records like Nellie the Elephant and Torchy, The Battery Boy - I loved it!

@sawasdeeI used to sit on the kitchen table whilst my mum was baking with the radio on listening to "Listen with Mother"

"Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin"

Ahhhhh such lovely memories :) 

@CoveredInBees So did I! And Mrs Dale's Diary in the morning is when my mother sat down for a cuppa, and I got milk and a biscuit...

9 hours ago, PumaLover said:

I think it came out nice! I'm a tie dye artist and realized it matched the shirt I was wearing! In other news, I barfed shortly after posting the first time. I blame it on Fuckface.

My contribution to the thread drift-my fave after school show was Fun House! Kids had to run through this obstacle course and grab flags. I had a crush on JD Roth and was so jealous of all the kids on the show. I always wanted to do the obstacle course. My friends and I recreated it in my backyard and it was so fun.ae2d0d0cd62783ee2892cca865123c7d.jpg

I remember JD Roth and that show.  He was obsessed whenever their was a twin pair of contests because he is one.  

Any Irish here remember Den2  which later became The Den with the travesty that was Dustin the Turkey and Socky the sock monster? 

I used to watch it every day! Still slightly traumatised from Dustin 

1 hour ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Any Irish here remember Den2  which later became The Den with the travesty that was Dustin the Turkey and Socky the sock monster? 

Not Irish - but didn't Dustin the Turkey appear on Eurovision? (Not singing My Lovely Horse...)

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

Not Irish - but didn't Dustin the Turkey appear on Eurovision? (Not singing My Lovely Horse...)

That was the peak year of eurovision weirdness. We took an elvis look-alike with a pink toy guitar :pb_lol:

I like this thread drift. UK 90s baby here. My TV was:

Rosie and Jim

Tots TV 

Zzzzzap! Which was awesome and doesn't get the recognition it should. I believe it was aimed at hearing impaired children, but it was fun for all! It was all these bizarre characters living in a comic book? And there was an artist or something? Idk. But it was great. 

Art Attack. "It's me, theeeeeeee head." amazing. 

Then as a pre teen it was standard Disney Channel fare - Recess, Lizzie McGuire, That's so Raven. 

I also have fond memories of a show called Fort Boyard which my dad and I used to watch together. It was basically the Crystal Maze but in a French castle. And Melinda Messenger hosted, which I think was the main reason (well, two very large reasons) my dad liked it. Lol.

6 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

I remember when it was called 'dempseys den' with zig and zag:content::content:

It's been fun walking down memory lane, remembering so many kids' television shows. :) Did anyone else watch Villa Alegre back in the 70s?

Spoiler

I remember being so excited when we went to Casa Bonita when I was 4, because I knew the song the mariachi band was playing from watching Villa Alegre:my_biggrin:

There was a radio program called Reading Aloud out of WGBH (Boston Public Radio) when I was a little kid.  Children's book read over the air on Sunday nights.  Loved it.

7 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Unfortunately yes, yes he did. From a land famed for singers they sent a puppet turkey to Eurovision :pb_rollseyes:

On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 11:16 PM, Beermeet said:

So. Much. Yes!!!!  We're not old, we just had better programming then these dang kids these days.  Not to mention the walking to school uphill both ways with coconuts for shoes.  Kids with their fancy shoes, humpf!  Hahahahaha!!!

Oh yeah, Mr. Rogers!  <3.  New school Revue, is that right?  With the frog and owl?  

Hah!!! I'm from Canada so no coconut shoes here. We walked barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways.

@Sydney Fox, I'm in my 50s.  When I was really young we lived in Windsor, Ontario, right across the river from Detroit so we got all the awesome channels without needing cable. Then we moved far away to an area with only 2 channels. I lived for our semi-annual trips back to Windsor to see family. Mom and dad would visit with relatives while my siblings and I would park ourselves in front of the TV of whoever we happened to be visiting and watch all the shows we no longer got in our new city until we were bleary-eyed. Good times, those.

Just remembered, Gilligan's Island, The Jetsons, Lost In Space. Danger, Will Robinson, danger...

4 hours ago, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

Rosie and Jim

Tots TV

Art Attack. "It's me, theeeeeeee head." amazing. 

Then as a pre teen it was standard Disney Channel fare - Recess, Lizzie McGuire, That's so Raven. 

I loved CBBC and CITV in 90s, my parents refused to get cable until I was in 6th year at high school so I had to make do with them.

On cbbc I loved Smart, Grange Hill, Byker Grove and live and kicking 

On CITV I loved Art attack, Hey Arnold and Fun House.

I'm glad they stuff from nick and Disney otherwise I would never have been able to watch Recess, Lizzie McGuire and Keenan and Kel. 

Both CBBC and CITV have went downhill since they got their own channel on digital. 

4 hours ago, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

Rosie and Jim

Snip

Oh my gosh how did I forget Rosie and Jim! I absolutely loved that programme! I now have the theme song running in my head 

As an Aussie kid, Captain Planet was my go-to TV show after school (Captain Planet! He's a hero! Gonna take pollution down to zero!). Then there was Johnson and Friends, Bananas in Pyjamas (the proper one with real guys in suits!), and Playschool. Going through the arch window was the highlight of my day HAHA.

Then we got Foxtel and I could watch Ahhhh! Real Monsters and Rugrats. Life = complete.

While reading I came upon this. It's true except when you're a Duggar. 

Ugh! M5's arrival better not make him ok to be back on television.

IMG_7139.JPG

On 8/24/2017 at 6:36 PM, Kjaerringa said:

My kids loved Gullah Gullah Island, but did not enjoy other kid shows as much. They loved cooking shows, ice skating, movie musicals, anything about animals or the ocean,  and WW11 documentaries about aviation. I am not joking.

My daughter was obsessed with a channel we had called Nickelodeon Games and Sports when she was 3-4. It played nothing but old episodes of Double Dare, Legends of the Hidden Temple, and those other Nickelodeon gameshows. This was in about 2003-2004, then our cable provider dropped it and that was pretty upsetting. My preschooler just loved those shows so much that whenever I would watch doctor shows when she was around, she'd get all into it and yell, "go, Blue Team!" when the medical professionals in their blue scrubs were shown rushing a patient into surgery or something. :pb_lol:

On 8/24/2017 at 8:02 PM, Shadoewolf said:

Ohh now Sat morning or after school for me? The original Transformers, Voltron, Thundercats, He-Man and She-Ra, original Strawberry Shortcake,  original Jem and the Holograms, original Rainbow Brite, Gummi Bears and staying up late to watch Fraggle Rock on HBO!

I wasn't able to watch a lot of those shows, because my older sister was so damn prissy and would CONSTANTLY police when I was looking in the general direction of the TV, so if a He-Man commercial even came on (or even a She-ra commercial...those were no more acceptable) I had to make it very clear that I was looking away and not at all interested in the subject, or I'd face endless ridicule. Kids can be so stupid! I wish I could go back in time and tell my sister to fuck off :doh:. I doubt I'd have actually been very interested in those things anyway, but the constant pressure I felt to prove I wasn't was just so ridiculous! I don't even know how she got to be this goddamn prissy and annoying, but I sure wish I hadn't let it bother me! Anyway, we're great friends now. :my_smile: She can still be a BIT prissy sometimes, but it's easy for me to just roll my eyes about it now.

18 hours ago, Playagirl said:

Hah!!! I'm from Canada so no coconut shoes here. We walked barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways.

@Sydney Fox, I'm in my 50s.  When I was really young we lived in Windsor, Ontario, right across the river from Detroit so we got all the awesome channels without needing cable. Then we moved far away to an area with only 2 channels. I lived for our semi-annual trips back to Windsor to see family. Mom and dad would visit with relatives while my siblings and I would park ourselves in front of the TV of whoever we happened to be visiting and watch all the shows we no longer got in our new city until we were bleary-eyed. Good times, those.

Just remembered, Gilligan's Island, The Jetsons, Lost In Space. Danger, Will Robinson, danger...

Playagirl, I turn 50 this year and Mr. Fox just turned 56, so I was right about your age, lol. He tells our kids about shows he watched as a boy and expects me to know them too, but there's those 5 or 6 years of shows that he saw but I didn't, and they're the shows you mentioned.

Are we STILL waiting for the M5 blessing? If we hadn't seen her pregnant, I'd think it was a scam.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived