IGNORED

Carlin and Evan 1: Front Hugging Before Courting

Coconut Flan

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came out of lurking recently. One of the main reasons was to give props to whoever coined the name, “Fundie Zoolander”. 

Bravo.

I don't know if many of our are into the YouTube scene, but I've realised today Carlin and Evan remind me of those stereotypical over the top youtubers.

I would not be shocked if they tried some sort of social media ministry, and if the show were to end, their own YouTube show. They'd fit right in.

25 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

I don't know if many of our are into the YouTube scene, but I've realised today Carlin and Evan remind me of those stereotypical over the top youtubers.

I would not be shocked if they tried some sort of social media ministry, and if the show were to end, their own YouTube show. They'd fit right in.

As long as they also have some kind of real job too I am all for it. It might be something to dive into when you feel the need to cringe.

5 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

They just remind me of that SNL sketch with Miley Cyrus promoting the Disney Channel Acting School. Be as loud as possible! 

Pride and Prejudice is my favourite book. I've probably read it about 50 times. In my opinion, Mr. Collins is even worse in the book than he is in the adaptations. He's simply awful. There's a reason why Elizabeth is shocked and dismayed that Charlotte chooses to marry him. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand Charlotte's reasoning, but Mr. Collins is an ass. He's extremely arrogant, he treats women like children, he's socially clueless, always butting in where he's not wanted, obsequious to the point of being incredibly embarrassing, yet at the same time full of himself, he has no sense whatsoever. As his wife (assuming you're somewhat intelligent and sensible, which Charlotte Lucas is) you'd be constantly humiliated by him. He also advised Mr. Bennet to disown Lydia completely and to never even speak her name again after her elopement. He never read novels (he seemed to have taken moral issue with them) and insisted on instead reading Fordyce's Sermons aloud to the women. Mr. Collins is essentially a fundie.

Mr. Collins sucks.

Well, novels were frowned upon in these days. Especially as the ones the young ladies tend to read were mostly romance novels. Gothic romance was a huge hit with the young female audience then. 

A lot of people have the same reaction to silly romance novels today. I don’t care and love to read one from time to time but would never think them to challenge my mind. On a superficial note: if you look for a nice romance- The Hating Game by Sally Thorne was the best romance novel I read in the last three years. 

And most people just didn’t have to time to read solely for pleasure. That made it even more a luxury thing if you read something that wasn’t teaching you something or at least considered art (like poetry)

7 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

Well, novels were frowned upon in these days. Especially as the ones the young ladies tend to read were mostly romance novels. Gothic romance was a huge hit with the young female audience then. 

A lot of people have the same reaction to silly romance novels today. I don’t care and love to read one from time to time but would never think them to challenge my mind. On a superficial note: if you look for a nice romance- The Hating Game by Sally Thorne was the best romance novel I read in the last three years. 

And most people just didn’t have to time to read solely for pleasure. That made it even more a luxury thing if you read something that wasn’t teaching you something or at least considered art (like poetry)

They were frowned upon by a certain sort of person. And not all novels were gothic romances. ;) It's very clear in the text that Mr. Collins is an absolutely absurd character who is not representative of the average man of the time.

People like the Bennets most definitely had time to read for pleasure. In fact, they would have read for pleasure a great deal, because there were only so many things you had to do to fill up your spare time. That's why being 'accomplished' was so important for a lady. It gave her something to do, and it also made her useful in that she could entertain everyone on a cold winter's night by playing an instrument, singing, dancing, discussing a book, etc.

12 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

They were frowned upon by a certain sort of person. And not all novels were gothic romances. ;) It's very clear in the text that Mr. Collins is an absolutely absurd character who is not representative of the average man of the time.

People like the Bennets most definitely had time to read for pleasure. In fact, they would have read for pleasure a great deal, because there were only so many things you had to do to fill up your spare time. That's why being 'accomplished' was so important for a lady. It gave her something to do, and it also made her useful in that she could entertain everyone on a cold winter's night by playing an instrument, singing, dancing, discussing a book, etc.

I am not going to disagree. Maybe I didn’t bring my point across well?

I still stand to my statement that novels were not seen as today. And of course not all novels were gothic romance, but a lot of female characters in Jane Austen like to read those, as they were popular around that time. And they had a certain reputation. 

I also wasn’t defending the character Mr. Collins just that his opinion to novels isn’t something that sets him apart from other male characters (example: Mr. Martin and there is a reason why Capt. Bennett’s love of poetry is somewhat funny to other males, or Frank Churchill’s  character study which makes it a given that he likes poetry and novels).

For the “accomplished Lady”- talking about books yes, but not talking about novels. Most male heros in Jane Austen don’t read them so there would be no talking point. It’s like talking about Twilight when you should talk about Catcher in the Rye. (I am aware that our modern genre doesn’t fit the genre novel in Austen times).

Carlin has a new insta photo up of her trying to look candid. (Oh yes I always look like a celeb in a nail polish ad while I drive down the road too.) 

1 hour ago, sparrow said:

Carlin has a new insta photo up of her trying to look candid. (Oh yes I always look like a celeb in a nail polish ad while I drive down the road too.) 

The post for anyone curious:

On 1/8/2018 at 7:35 AM, singsingsing said:

Pride and Prejudice is my favourite book. I've probably read it about 50 times. In my opinion, Mr. Collins is even worse in the book than he is in the adaptations. He's simply awful. There's a reason why Elizabeth is shocked and dismayed that Charlotte chooses to marry him. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand Charlotte's reasoning, but Mr. Collins is an ass. He's extremely arrogant, he treats women like children, he's socially clueless, always butting in where he's not wanted, obsequious to the point of being incredibly embarrassing, yet at the same time full of himself, he has no sense whatsoever. As his wife (assuming you're somewhat intelligent and sensible, which Charlotte Lucas is) you'd be constantly humiliated by him. He also advised Mr. Bennet to disown Lydia completely and to never even speak her name again after her elopement. He never read novels (he seemed to have taken moral issue with them) and insisted on instead reading Fordyce's Sermons aloud to the women. Mr. Collins is essentially a fundie.

Mr. Collins sucks.

There's a novel--I forget the name but it was recommended here--that tells the Pride and Prejudice story from the servants' point of view. I really liked the perspective of the hardworking young girl servants who are sent out into the rain to buy the ribbons for the dance, or who struggle to remove a stain from a gown.

Anyhow, in this book, Mr. Collins is viewed understandingly. He knows he is frequently mocked. He knows he is absurd but cannot stop. He is hurt when Elizabeth rejects him so roundly. I liked that perspective. In real life, a real Mr. Collins would not be as one-sided as Austin portrays him in the book.

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

The post for anyone curious:

She looks a little too made up for me to take her seriously.

5 hours ago, Hisey said:

There's a novel--I forget the name but it was recommended here--that tells the Pride and Prejudice story from the servants' point of view. I really liked the perspective of the hardworking young girl servants who are sent out into the rain to buy the ribbons for the dance, or who struggle to remove a stain from a gown.

I think you mean the novel Longbourn?

4 hours ago, miss_batson said:

Another day, another Carlin pitcure, these time with Kaci.

Probably BEC but...The over exposed filter on those photos just screams vanity on Carlin’s part. She’s actually blurred out most of Kaci’s features! They look like they could be super sweet auntie and niece pictures but it seems more like Kaci is just a prop for Carlin to use as an excuse to post more pictures of herself  

3 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Kaci is just a prop for Carlin to use as an excuse to post more pictures of herself  

LIFE is  just a prop for Carlin to use as an excuse to post more pictures of herself 

5 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Probably BEC but...The over exposed filter on those photos just screams vanity on Carlin’s part. She’s actually blurred out most of Kaci’s features! 

Hey now, she's just following the example of their favorite photographer Taryn Yager.

Now I'm cringing at the thought of what the pictures Carlin would take with her own babies would look like...

Again when they take these staged photos, are they like "quick let me grab a niece/nephew/random child! because I just got an idea for a picture!"

2 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Again when they take these staged photos, are they like "quick let me grab a niece/nephew/random child! because I just got an idea for a picture!"

Similar to my last comment, I know a lot of peers in their 20s and all their photos are staged and come off as so fake. They really do photos like that knowing they will get a bunch of likes ....I’m not into that at all, but I should say 95% of people my age are into that, apparently. Though, it is still to weird to see a fundie person doing it probably because of the modest dress and the fact that they’re usually more out of touch. 

10 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Probably BEC but...The over exposed filter on those photos just screams vanity on Carlin’s part. She’s actually blurred out most of Kaci’s features! They look like they could be super sweet auntie and niece pictures but it seems more like Kaci is just a prop for Carlin to use as an excuse to post more pictures of herself  

The Bates seem to use Kaci as a prop an awful lot (looking at you, Lawson). I wonder, why not Brooklyn? Maybe Erin doesn't allow it.

6 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

What does that mean?

Well, it's supposed to be this candid, casual picture of her just driving down the street, right? That her BFF might have taken from the passenger seat? But her lipstick and hair are perfect, her nails are done--it seems so posed and fake.

Though I guess that's what people her age do, nowadays.

17 minutes ago, Hisey said:

The Bates seem to use Kaci as a prop an awful lot (looking at you, Lawson). I wonder, why not Brooklyn? Maybe Erin doesn't allow it.

With Whitney now having a job that she can't just fit in around Zach's presumably odd schedule, and especially now that they're also doing work on their new house, it's possible Kaci and Bradley are just over at the Bates house a lot more because they need to be baby-sat. I'm assuming Chad works a regular 9-5 and Erin is able to schedule piano lessons around him fairly easily, so they most likely don't need to rely on her family as much. All guesswork, of course.

1 hour ago, VineHeart137 said:

With Whitney now having a job that she can't just fit in around Zach's presumably odd schedule, and especially now that they're also doing work on their new house, it's possible Kaci and Bradley are just over at the Bates house a lot more because they need to be baby-sat. I'm assuming Chad works a regular 9-5 and Erin is able to schedule piano lessons around him fairly easily, so they most likely don't need to rely on her family as much. All guesswork, of course.

Actually, I thought the same thing after I wrote my comment.

• Jellybean locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived