IGNORED

Carlin and Evan 1: Front Hugging Before Courting

Coconut Flan

I have a (conservative Christian) niece who just broke up with her boyfriend because after moving in with him, she realized he was a heavy drinker well on the way to being an alcoholic. They were planning to get engaged soon but like most young folks these days, were living together before marriage. I am SO glad that they lived together so that she had that chance to realize that getting married would be the worst mistake of her life.

Carlin doesn't have that opportunity. Forget about living with someone: she doesn't even have the opportunity to be alone with him for long enough to know that he won't shut up about himself, or he doesn't meet her standards of personal hygiene, or whatever other hypothetical dealbreaker, let alone incipient alcoholism. Neither can Evan find that out about Carlin. Fundamentalism is so damaging.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If BUB were Pride and Prejudice, Carlin would be Lydia.

Agreed. Is Chad Darcy? I don’t think there is a Darcy. Darcy would never put up with this bullshit.

11 minutes ago, Kaylo said:

Agreed. Is Chad Darcy? I don’t think there is a Darcy. Darcy would never put up with this bullshit.

Emma’s Dad was pretty annoying. “A boiled egg may not be unwholesome...”

ETA: Oops, wrong book. It’s late. Darcy was putting up with the even worse Mrs. Bennett.

Carlin pissed me off during Josie’s party. When Evan got there she said since he was there the party could start. Look let your sister have one flipping day for her. It’s not all about you. 

9 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

Carlin pissed me off during Josie’s party. When Evan got there she said since he was there the party could start. Look let your sister have one flipping day for her. It’s not all about you. 

Carlin just seems exhausting as a person. 

She's very pretty and #hairgoals, but my god, girl, chill out and stop making everything about you. 

I can't believe Fundie Bieber actually released a song. This is gold.

That courtship proposal looks so over the top, how do you one up that for engagement? 

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Carlin just seems exhausting as a person. 

She's very pretty and #hairgoals, but my god, girl, chill out and stop making everything about you. 

I agree but then again I guess that’s how you get attention in a family of 19 kids. 

I watched an episode of the TLC show they had on YouTube and it was Carlin’s bday. They bought her a cake and said she was probably shocked they even remembered because they were busy. What were they busy with? Building a fricken chicken coop. Parents of the year, right there.

Re: Jane Austen characters. I dug up my post where I tried to guess which Jane Austen heroine each Duggar sister was most like. I feel like I don't really know the Bates sisters well enough to do the same for them, but maybe others will be inspired. Here's my old post, behind the spoiler:

Spoiler

OH BOY. Okay, here's what I'm going with...

Jana - Anne Elliot. Quiet, reserved, kind, taken for granted and taken advantage of by her family. Still unmarried at the DANGEROUS age of 27!

Jill - Lydia Bennet*. Silly, assertive (with her sisters when they were all living at home), extremely pleased with herself after diving into marriage, but her husband is a complete loser, and always begging for money. (Obviously Lydia's scandalous elopement doesn't factor in here)

Jessa - Emma Woodhouse. Beautiful, confident, likes to play matchmaker, likes to be in control, but has no particular talents.

Jinger - Jane Fairfax*. Somewhat artistic and talented, beautiful but reserved, and pushed around by others. Falls for an intelligent and charismatic but shallow man.

Joy - Catherine Morland. Young, naive, idealistic, a follower. (I almost chose her for Jinger till I remembered the part about her rolling down hills and thought she seemed more Joy)

*I know these two aren't heroines, but I didn't feel like Jill or Jinger aligned with either Elizabeth Bennet or Elinor Dashwood!

After digesting the episode a few days I have to say it was very nice of Evan to put so much thought and attention everything he did for Carlins courtship proposal.  As annoying and immature as she comes across every girl deserves that special spotlight moment and to feel like the center of attention.

Here's where my not so nice thoughts come in, could it be the whole thing was so over the top becaue he knew it was being filmed and they're both attention hogs? Probably!  Also stealing the spotlight from your sister only makes you look like a jerk and not very "godly" or whatever word they always use to describe themselves.  Shameful!  Maybe they are both very nice and all that and they're just being portrayed that way on TV but God I fin0d them annoying!

Edited to say I know my post sounds a little all over the place lol, sorry.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

That courtship proposal looks so over the top, how do you one up that for engagement? 

He's gonna have to propose on top of the Eiffel Tower-- or have Nathan propose via skywriting, or something. Or both!  What a freaking waste of money.

I see Chad and Erin as Jane and Bingley. Agreeable, sooooo in loooooooooove, Chad was a huge catch on the fundie marriage market, and Erin is beautiful and pretty docile. 

Agree with earlier poster who said Carlin is Lydia. Alyssa is Mary because she wanted quiet and out of the house! Tabitha Paine is Caroline :( 

John Shrader is Mr. Collins. The annoying twit who thinks he writes well and annoys everyone in his vicinity. 

I posted this the last time we talked about Austen characters, but Anna is Charlotte Lucas- willing to put up with anything to be married.

2 hours ago, Andrea said:

After digesting the episode a few days I have to say it was very nice of Evan to put so much thought and attention everything he did for Carlins courtship proposal.  As annoying and immature as she comes across every girl deserves that special spotlight moment and to feel like the center of attention.

Here's where my not so nice thoughts come in, could it be the whole thing was so over the top becaue he knew it was being filmed and they're both attention hogs? Probably!  Also stealing the spotlight from your sister only makes you look like a jerk and not very "godly" or whatever word they always use to describe themselves.  Shameful!  Maybe they are both very nice and all that and they're just being portrayed that way on TV but God I fin0d them annoying!

Edited to say I know my post sounds a little all over the place lol, sorry.

Please. . .I am sure Evan met with the producers and came up with he liked AND that could easily be filmed (good lighting, sound, room for the crew to set up, etc). I did not see the episode but I am going to guess he didn't propose at dusk or in a crowded venue, that would have been too hard to film. Ever notice most of these activities don't occur at night? I suspect BUB funded whatever costs were involved too.

14 hours ago, Kaylo said:

No, Chad is definitely Bingly and Erin is Jane. Gil just throwing up his hands is very Mr Bennett. Alyssa is probably Lizzie. She didn't want to live too near her family after marriage, lol. And Alyssa knows how crazy her family is. But I don't think John is Darcy. 

Who gets to be Mr Collins? Derrick Dillard.

So I finally watched it and I think my favorite part is when Zach is praying and he says “we thank your for Evan. So far.” It’s like he’s the only realistic person in the family .

Also - probably an unpopular opinion, but I thought the song was great and his voice is really pleasant to listen to. That was actually my favorite part of the whole thing. He probably could have just done the part at the dam and that would have been enough. I actually find him to be significantly less annoying now.

Too bad he has shit beliefs. 

30 minutes ago, LegHumperBibleThumper said:

So I finally watched it and I think my favorite part is when Zach is praying and he says “we thank your for Evan. So far.” It’s like he’s the only realistic person in the family .

Also - probably an unpopular opinion, but I thought the song was great and his voice is really pleasant to listen to. That was actually my favorite part of the whole thing. He probably could have just done the part at the dam and that would have been enough. I actually find him to be significantly less annoying now.

Too bad he has shit beliefs. 

I agree with you on his talent. I think he’s more talented than Lawson by a long shot. His voice is good, the song was corny but well intentioned. 

On 1/3/2018 at 4:21 PM, BeccaGrim said:

How does one Serve The Lord as a Cosmetologist?  I am trying to understand this. 

Well, in non-ATI, I would say one would do so by doing hair and nails for homeless people or the working poor for no or little charge. In ATI circles, I would say it would be to try and convert ebil non-evangelicals.

On 1/5/2018 at 10:12 AM, Feministe9000 said:

But I have to say, watching Evan sing AT Carlin with audio turned off, is amazingly hilarious!!!!  I had a good chuckle. I wonder if he will do a song for the wedding, and then the first anniversary, and so on. It's gonna get old, especially with those chipmunk cheeks of his and cheesy grin ahahahahahahahha

I'm sure it will be as cringe-worthy as Joshley's horrible loyalty song at his wedding and Pecan's awful conducting job at his.

I feel like I need to defend both Charlotte Lucas and Mr Collins a bit. Mr Collins is made over the top in most films. He is annoying and overly devoted to Lady Catherine in the book too and he wrote one of the most silly letter so it is not that weird that he is rejected by the sisters. However, unlike in most films he is not middle aged, he is 25 and described as not too bad looking and his silliness could very well be expected to something he would grow out with age. Charlotte Lucas is no beauty and on the verge of being an old made who found a decent looking man who is an heir and with some potential. He has wealthy friends and a good home to offer her until he inherits Mr Bennett. He is probably a much better man than she is expects at this point and is fully justified in making sure he will propose to and marry her. She might be seen as cold and calculating but at this point, what else could she be? 

2 hours ago, freedom_for_all said:

Y'all are making me feel like I should read Jane Austen. Book club?

In my biased opinion, you totally should. My favourite is Emma. I love to read the editions for university. After reading the book I enjoy the academic take on it. In Emma’s case I read a nice interpretation how Jane and Augusta are mirroring characters that show, how she could have become: too cold or too gossip. There was more to it but I cannot remember. Need to read it again, I guess....

I love all of these Austen comparisons.  My English major heart is just a-pounding. Maybe Erin is Emma.  All the matchmaking!

But seriously, can you imagine, for a second, having to live with Carlin? That moment when she  yelled out that Josie's party could start because Evan was there? I wanted to throw something at her. She's like an only child with eighteen siblings.  For one afternoon, it wasn't about her and yet it was.  And I always thought she and Tori were close but--dang--when it came down to it Tori did not make her maid of honor.  I don't see Josie interacting with her much, she's close to Alyssa. And she dragged Katie to the Stewarts, who is young and probably drag-able. Whatever Gil is saying, they might be ready to get that girl out of the house. 

10 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

I love all of these Austen comparisons.  My English major heart is just a-pounding. Maybe Erin is Emma.  All the matchmaking!

But seriously, can you imagine, for a second, having to live with Carlin? That moment when she  yelled out that Josie's party could start because Evan was there? I wanted to throw something at her. She's like an only child with eighteen siblings.  For one afternoon, it wasn't about her and yet it was.  And I always thought she and Tori were close but--dang--when it came down to it Tori did not make her maid of honor.  I don't see Josie interacting with her much, she's close to Alyssa. And she dragged Katie to the Stewarts, who is young and probably drag-able. Whatever Gil is saying, they might be ready to get that girl out of the house. 

I thought Carlin was the maid of honor and Erin was the matron of honor?

2 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

Wasn't it just Erin? 

Nah I just watched one of their old live videos Carlin was maid of honor while Erin was matron of honor. 

Also Carlin’s fundie stare game is officially at a level 10. 

D8FA8AD8-4637-4602-B150-8D11A0DBB300.jpeg

• Jellybean locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived