IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters - Part 4

Coconut Flan

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, EowynW said:

My fundie sister is a big fan of this page on Facebook and today invited me to like it. 

*gags* 

https://youngwifesguide.com/

She seems to hit all the bases and be completely unoriginal in content. 

On 6/21/2018 at 5:40 PM, GenerationCedarchip said:

I was at the state homeschool convention, so I saw quite a few of the families we chat about. The Rodrigues clan was there in their big van. Does anyone know what the oldest daughter is doing?

Nurie graduated last year and Timothy graduated this year.  But don't ask what Nurie's been up to or what her plans are since graduation.  It makes her cry (according to Jill).  :pb_rollseyes:

One of my fundie fb friends just announced her twin pregnancy. Babies 8 & 9. They are financially struggling and while she says she's "beyond excited" I have my doubts. I think the oldest is ten. For sure no teens yet. She's in her early 30s.  

You guys! We went on vacation three hours away from our home camping. I was going to disconnect. Swear to Rufus we get here and get in line for icecream and I call my kids and the family in front of us says ‘oh bible names! You must be believers!’ I said yes we are but also our name is really Eastern European and these names sounded the best with it... they have three girls all the girls and mom are in skirts. Dad is on a ‘workcation with them... all the ladies have very long hair. Confirmed they home school on their homestead. Very nice family and we played in the water but my bathing suit clashed with their modest wear. We did have fun saying our favorite Bible stories to each other. Lol. I can’t even get away when im away! Also - mr eyes says he’s not sure this site: interest is good for my soul. Lol

Taken from the "young wifes guide":   "I’ve watched as her family has struggled to make ends meat"....ummmmmm what?

Anyone good at Name That Sect?

I live in north London, and I often see groups of fairly young women in calf-length (ish) skirts, covered shoulders/collarbones (often they're wearing cardigans), long hair, and these big, wide headbands. They're all wearing these headbands (some of them are lacy, some of them are a more solid fabric). They're always in decent sized groups and the last time I saw a big group of them, I think they were singing a hymn. Any clue as to what sect they could be a part of? This is a pretty religiously diverse area (big Hindu temple nearby, lots of Muslims, there's also an Ethiopian church not too far from my area - maybe about 3ish miles away), but I'm not quite sure who they could be affiliated with. 

40 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

They're all wearing these headbands (some of them are lacy, some of them are a more solid fabric).

Can you describe the headbands better?   Are they actual head coverings or headbands?   I'm also wondering whether you are in Hackney or further north like Walthamstow.  Or neither. :)

45 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Can you describe the headbands better?   Are they actual head coverings or headbands?   I'm also wondering whether you are in Hackney or further north like Walthamstow.  Or neither. :)

Neither, and would rather not get more specific just to preserve my privacy. The headbands kinda look like this:

imgrc0068051285.jpg

21 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Neither, and would rather not get more specific just to preserve my privacy. The headbands kinda look like this:

I don't blame you at all for not being specific.  Hackney and Walthamstow might have given me clues though.

No idea on that headband.    

Maybe Orthodox or Hasidic Jewish? Are the skirts black? Are they wearing tights? Tights are a very good clue.

The headbands could just be the newest fashion in the community, rather than any religious statement, or they could be married women using them as some sort of (newfangled) headdress.

Depending on the sect, Orthodox Jews are allowed unaccompanied vocal music (with some misogynistic restrictions, of course.) The Orthodox Jewish girls' overnight camp I've dealt with are VERY big on singing. Unless you're pretty sure it's a Christian tune?

If not Haredi, as @Jigsaw3 suggests, perhaps Exclusive Brethren? I think there was a Gospel Hall in the area in East Finchley when I lived there briefly.

5 hours ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Maybe Orthodox or Hasidic Jewish? Are the skirts black? Are they wearing tights? Tights are a very good clue.

The headbands could just be the newest fashion in the community, rather than any religious statement, or they could be married women using them as some sort of (newfangled) headdress.

Depending on the sect, Orthodox Jews are allowed unaccompanied vocal music (with some misogynistic restrictions, of course.) The Orthodox Jewish girls' overnight camp I've dealt with are VERY big on singing. Unless you're pretty sure it's a Christian tune?

I don't think they were wearing tights. That would have been a dead giveaway for me. I'm inclined to believe that they were Christians of some sort, since they were singing in English and I didn't recognize the tune (I'm Jewish). It could just be that they're some flavor of fundie and the headbands are the equivalent of the denim skirt or the floral maxi dresses that every fundie girl and their mother wears here. 

@nastyhobbitses The headband picture you posted reminds me somewhat of the headbands some of the seven farmgirl sisters wear. 

I wasn't sure where to ask about this, and since it's real life, I'll just ask here.

I have an uncle who I haven't seen for about 45 years.  Back then he was a missionary in Taiwan.  The last communication I had with him was when my father died in '92 and he was asking for a donation (via form letter) and made no mention of my father's (his brother's) death.  Although an agnostic, my father always supported him with financial donations because 'family'.  Anyway, I wrote him a scathing reply and haven't heard anything since. 

I decided to look him up last night and he's a pastor of an Independent Baptist church in Vancouver now.  I was wondering if there was a difference between "Independent Fundamental" and just "Independent"?

I googled and all I could find is that it's different terms for the same thing.   I'm really curious because this would be the first indication of fundamentalism in my family.

Can any of you former IFB people help?    

That reminds me of the picture my Trump loving cousins wife posted of them at a LEGO convention last week. He's got a tee shirt that says, Guns, God and Trump. I nearly puked. She keeps coming back to my facebook and posting all these opinion pieces on Trump to tell us he's so wonderful... My other cousin posted WWJD and I replied with Matthew 15:19:
"For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders.

On 7/1/2018 at 6:45 PM, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

Nurie graduated last year and Timothy graduated this year.  But don't ask what Nurie's been up to or what her plans are since graduation.  It makes her cry (according to Jill).  :pb_rollseyes:

I can imagine. I got curious and looked up the state homeschool graduation program for this year and sure enough, there was Timothy. His statement didn't have that "my mom wrote this" quality to it. He basically said his goal is to be a missionary pilot. No word on where he's studying, but hope it works out for him.

2 hours ago, anniebgood said:

That reminds me of the picture my Trump loving cousins wife posted of them at a LEGO convention last week. He's got a tee shirt that says, Guns, God and Trump. I nearly puked. She keeps coming back to my facebook and posting all these opinion pieces on Trump to tell us he's so wonderful... My other cousin posted WWJD and I replied with Matthew 15:19:
"For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders.

Excellent quote!  I hope you are deleting all her pro-idiot in the white house posts.  I don't like political stuff being posted on my page, I don't mind things that are interesting to me such as crochet, animals, spiders, turtles, Texas related stuff.  If I post on somebody's page I try to use those guidelines as well.

3 hours ago, anniebgood said:

We are gun owners but have never understood the whole "God & guns" thing. A lot of my fundie friends post that stuff too. 

Well, you could always try one of my two tactics.  You make snarky comments.  For example..."Well, at least you put God first..".  Or "What, those are the three things you worship most?".  My absolute favorite response to such stuff is to calmly and politely refute their nonsense.  Pointing out (and using references where applicable) where their claims are wrong.  Trust me, using logic and reason as well as good manners will get them to block or unfriend you quicker than anything.  The last thing these people want to do is think calmly.

14 hours ago, GenerationCedarchip said:

I can imagine. I got curious and looked up the state homeschool graduation program for this year and sure enough, there was Timothy. His statement didn't have that "my mom wrote this" quality to it. He basically said his goal is to be a missionary pilot. No word on where he's studying, but hope it works out for him.

They (meaning the whole fam-damily) are leaving in a week or two to drive Timothy cross-country to Washington State to attend the Moody aviation program.  Everyone is perplexed as to how they can afford that.  It's a 5 year program.

13 hours ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

They (meaning the whole fam-damily) are leaving in a week or two to drive Timothy cross-country to Washington State to attend the Moody aviation program.  Everyone is perplexed as to how they can afford that.  It's a 5 year program.

They're affording it the same way they afford anything that gives Jill more narcissistic supply: shameless grifting, starving the kids, and stealing any money the kids earn or are gifted. I eagerly await how Jill is going to make the trip and her son's further education entirely about her. 

My step in-laws son had to do an accelerated Moody program...because the college closed in Spokane. Had to do 1 1/2 semesters in 5 months to graduate with a degree in theology at the wise old age of 20. (married with 2 under 2. )

Perhaps the flying school is in better shape. Probably attached to an FBO at SPO as well. 

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic

Archived