IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters - Part 4

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Briefly said:

Our last three cars have been used but we purchased them from a rental agency, so they are not very used.  Low mileage and they are in good condition, plus the last one still had the original factory warranty on it.  Because they are not brand new, the price is fairly low for an almost-new car. We've done the junkers and cheap cars before, when we were younger and just starting out.  We try to take good care of our vehicles so that they last many years, but not everybody does and I don't want another experience with a car that we could have replaced about 3 times with what we spent on repairs over a 2 or 3 year period.  We did that once.

Reliability is so important to me. I have never had a brand-new car--always pre-owned--but we look for low miles, warranties, etc, and maintain our vehicles. I have such bad childhood memories of sitting by the side of the road for hours in broken-down junkers, so I have strong feelings on the subject! 

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Lisafer said:

Reliability is so important to me. I have never had a brand-new car--always pre-owned--but we look for low miles, warranties, etc, and maintain our vehicles. I have such bad childhood memories of sitting by the side of the road for hours in broken-down junkers, so I have strong feelings on the subject! 

Yep. been there!  But I was an adult.  It was late at night, me and the baby in the car on the way home from the in-laws place at te lake - Mr. Briefly stayed with his dad. My car basically quit but I coasted to the shoulder of the road. In the middle of nowhere, but I had a cell phone that I'd just had for a few months so I was able to call Mr. Briefly, he and his dad came to get us and then his dad waited for Triple A to come tow my car.  The one we bought to replace it was the one that we paid for multiple times with repairs.  After that, I insisted on good cars!

Not fundie as such. But I found this in a paper.

I think I’ll pass.

54799C7B-2069-4B27-ABC9-FBB9C5646456.thumb.jpeg.ee0430b3b34b61e5a66464d24cf4c307.jpeg

What I failed to capture is the fact that this is from 8pm till dawn. Fuck that noise.

Reading about all your various liquor laws makes me extra glad I live in evil CA. Even my Target and Walmart sell alcohol of all sorts. 

1 hour ago, ChunkyBarbie said:

Reading about all your various liquor laws makes me extra glad I live in evil CA. Even my Target and Walmart sell alcohol of all sorts. 

same in Nevada & Arizona. 

When my aunt moved to Virginia, thirty or so years ago, they had some very weird Blue’s Laws.  I think that is what they were called. Anywho, she discovered in the worst way that her town didn’t allow the sale of tampons on Sundays, or at least that Sunday.  If the store manager she unleashed on is still alive, I’m sure he still has nightmares about my aunt going off at him. The words “on the rag” and “bleeding like a stuck pig” were shouted and screeched that day in that man’s grocery store. No, he did not sell her any and couldn’t give her a coherent reason why, other than “I can’t ma’am, you must not be from around here.”  

A store employee took pity and gave my aunt a couple from her stash. My aunt had to drive a city over to buy tampons. 

Lady Lydia and Jill R. would have been SHOCKED by my aunts refusal to accept misogynistic BS laws and use of VULGAR words. Meh, my aunt wears pants, works and is the wrong kind of Christian, whaddaya expect? 

Eta.  Seriously though, my aunt was furious about this incident for a good five years.  Rightly so. 

14 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

What I failed to capture is the fact that this is from 8pm till dawn.

My kind of schedule! (Natural night owl here. ? )

A gentleman claimed that he was delivering fliers, but I'm always suspicious when I buzz people into the building, so waited at the door. He was delivering fliers, but was also a Jehova's Witness...

I don't tell random strangers what I truly believe, so I went with the old "I was born Catholic, I will die Catholic" spiel - which is technically true. He tried to show me some scriptures. Mate, they've done that to me in Catholic RE for years in school! I still decided to distance myself from the RCC. I'm not about to join a religion that refuses blood-transfusions and has a limited number of places in heaven, because of a bit of specially selected scripture! I want to see sources, original material and citations!

It all ended on a friendly note though, which I'm glad about. We both agreed that inter-faith communication was important (something to do with me saying "I respect your beliefs, and just ask you to respect mine"), and a nice chat about an obscure British series of books. Then we shook hands and parted ways.

Best thing: We were both so happy when we started chatting about those books! He told me all about his first encounter with them (he was a few decades older than me) and said he was amazed that anyone still knew those books. I was happy as a pig in clover to exchange quotes, and have a good laugh with him. Best JV encounter ever!!!

Oh, and the inter-faith dialogue bit...

17 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

That’s the late 80s. Holy crap!

That is about when Texas did away with them.  I hated the blue laws.  They were so stupid!  I was buying a toy for my mom's new dog on a Sunday, no problem there.  But the next aisle over was the one with baby stuff (diapers) and that one was roped off because those things could not be sold on Sunday.  They did not make much sense!

It's just been recently that restaurants can sell alcoholic drinks on Sunday.  The liquor stores may try to get a referendum to allow them to be open on Sunday, but I heard a commercial for one of the grocery stores today and they stated that they sell their newly stocked beer and wine on Sunday.  I think beer was ok at the grocery store already, but it was the low-point beer so that may have been why it was allowed.

@Briefly Oh that low percent beer is sooo stupid. I forgot you were in Tulsa, right? My family is there. You cannot get drunk on that crap. Pointless.

But not selling tampons at certain times of day? That’s just bullshit.

1 minute ago, AliceInFundyland said:

@Briefly Oh that low percent beer is sooo stupid. I forgot you were in Tulsa, right? My family is there. You cannot get drunk on that crap. Pointless.

But not selling tampons at certain times of day? That’s just bullshit.

We are actually right outside of Tulsa, in Broken Arrow but I work in Tulsa.  We did live in Tulsa for several years.  I'm not a beer drinker, I know - sacrilege for a Texan to admit that!  But Mr. Briefly usually would just buy a case of strong beer - he calls it real beer - at the liquor store and then several weeks later he would run out of it and go get another.  It took him a long time to go through it,  We would also grab a few cases to bring back to Oklahoma with us when we went back to Texas for visits.  But now it's available at the grocery store.  This area has a huge problem with alcoholism and I won't be t all surprised if that increases.  Because people don't seem to be able to understand moderation!

Why can’t you sell tampons on certain days? What is the reasoning behind this? I drove a 26 wheeler into Salt Lake City in 1983, holy shit you would have thought I was an axe murderer but in those days I was so good looking the men were very conflicted.  It was so funny I still laugh about it.  Just unload the truck and let me F off outa here! 

NY used to have a law that you couldn't buy beer before noon on Sunday, but I believe that's been rescinded.  Beer and wine coolers(but not wine itself, despite many legislative attempts)can be sold in grocery stores, and I think I read that beer is specifically prohibited to be sold in liquor stores.  Weird. 

NY used to have a law that you couldn't buy beer before noon on Sunday, but I believe that's been rescinded.  Beer and wine coolers(but not wine itself, despite many legislative attempts)can be sold in grocery stores, and I think I read that beer is specifically prohibited to be sold in liquor stores.  Weird. 
OK has been similar but the laws are changing!! Beer and wine can now be sold in grocery stores as of today, and liquor stores can now sell cold beer.
Still no Sundays or after 9pm, but it's way better!

2 hours ago, sleepy_doggos said:

OK has been similar but the laws are changing!! Beer and wine can now be sold in grocery stores as of today, and liquor stores can now sell cold beer.
Still no Sundays or after 9pm, but it's way better!

The grocery stores do sell wine on Sundays. I'm near Tulsa.  The convenience stores also have wine and strong beer, but they don't have a lot of room so they won't really be an issue as far as liquor stores go.  Although my daughter did say that they bought a $3.00 bottle of wine at the convenience store by their apartment.  She said that yes, they did get what the paid for!

Virginia had Blue Laws. ALL the stores in my hometown were closed but you could go to the next county and shop until you drop. To this day, beer and wine are sold in grocery stores but you have to go to the ABC store to get liquor. Good old Virginia, the land of Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell. Here in heathen Nevada there's a nice booze selection in most grocery stores, specialty booze stores, and even available at the local mini-mart. 

Kinda funny seeing as how we don't drink (no religious reasons, I come from a long line of alcoholics and hubs is in recovery)

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

Here in heathen Nevada there's a nice booze selection in most grocery stores, specialty booze stores, and even available at the local mini-mart. 

I loved this bumper sticker we saw in Nevada this summer!

Spoiler

20180807_204019.thumb.jpg.9ce93b4e1ec7afea8569cde519fcb805.jpg

:my_biggrin:

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? that sounds about right. Prostitution isn't legal in Clark County but that doesn't mean a damn thing. Hit up Freemont Street or the strip or other seedier parts of town any night and there will be working girls out and about. 

Oh and not using a hands-free device in the car is illegal (if you're the driver). My lawsuit may hinge on that if it goes to court. 

In my county in Mississippi, you can't buy wine or liquor on Sundays at all unless you're at a bar/restaurant and order it by the glass. Wine and liquor can't be sold from the 'Wine and Liquor Store' after 10pm on other days. Beer can be bought at gas stations and grocery stores but they can't sell beer after 9pm on Sunday but there are no restrictions as far as I know in the morning on Sunday or at night on any other days. 

None of it makes sense to me. You can order as much wine and liquor as you can handle at a bar on a Sunday but can't buy it yourself?

There are still dry counties in MS though so at least I don't live in one of those.

Here in New Mexico, we can't buy beer, wine, or liquor on Sundays before noon. When I first moved here, you also couldn't buy package liquor on election days, but you could get a drink in restaurants and bars.

56 minutes ago, Sobeknofret said:

Here in New Mexico, we can't buy beer, wine, or liquor on Sundays before noon. When I first moved here, you also couldn't buy package liquor on election days, but you could get a drink in restaurants and bars.

The liquor stores still close in Oklahoma on election day.  I'm not sure about buying a drink in restaurants, though.  I think that the grocery stores are probably still going to be able to sell beer and wine during their regular hours on election day.

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic

Archived