IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters - Part 4

Coconut Flan

I saw 2 FLDS women at Walmart this evening, complete with pastel prairie dresses and the hairstyles. I was shocked, I have never seen them in real life before! 

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Google tells me I'm about 650 miles away from Colorado City, AZ.

I've seen FLDS women here in "sin city". The last time I saw a family of FLDS, they were at a gas station right off the freeway. Bunch of kids, a 15 passenger van pulling some sort of RV. Interesting bunch. 

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 0:24 PM, Flossie said:

Do fundies get more points for having more grand kids?  My parents were thrilled when the grandchildren started petering out.  Even gift cards for birthdays and holidays was getting expensive.  Now they're looking at great grand kids, and luckily no one expects them to do much more than send a card.

Quite a few grandparents that I know would gladly pay for snip jobs for their kids.  (Even with only 2 or 3 kids per son or daughter.)  I know that my next-to-useless mother threatened to leave the state if I had any more, and I only had one.

4 hours ago, Granwych said:

I know that my next-to-useless mother threatened to leave the state if I had any more, and I only had one.

When I got pregnant with child #2, my mother's first response was "is it too late to have an abortion"? 

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

When I got pregnant with child #2, my mother's first response was "is it too late to have an abortion"? 

Maybe our mothers were sisters...

OK, I need to vent about my fundie-lite cousin and I'm gonna do it here. First off, the reason she is fundie-lite is so she can have all the judgment with none of the hard stuff. She LOVES The Activist Mommy and Focus on the Family, even though she has no clue because she's just now pregnant with her first. She is cool with pants and working outside the home and birth control, but gays and universal healthcare and abortion are evil. She's also opposed to breastfeeding in public and swears she's seen lots of women just sitting there with both boobs hanging out and they're clearly just doing it for attention. 

Secondly, she has NO IDEA how things are outside her happy little bubble. She thinks that birth control has been easily available and free for 20 years because SHE was able to get some at a free clinic in New England 20 years ago, so obviously it's the same everywhere. She thinks feminism was great for getting women the vote and the right to work outside the home, but we don't need it now. She literally said that she's not a feminist because "I don't choose to make myself a victim." She was medically separated from the army and has free healthcare for life but is opposed to it for everyone else.

She once attacked me on a thread I started on Facebook and claimed that I was "constantly" attacking Christians and cursing out and attacking anyone that disagreed with me. When I asked for ONE SINGLE PIECE of evidence of this, of course she couldn't provide any, or even an anecdotal example. That's because she thinks that my posting something that she disagrees with means that I'm attacking her and obviously I'm horrible. She was also posting crazy shit like the wage gap is a myth and when asked for evidence, she posted a link to Yahoo search results for "wage gap lie." No joke. Just the freaking SEARCH RESULTS. That's how these people "research," they search for what they WANT to hear. She got super pissed when my friends and I laughed our asses off at her so-called evidence and posted a crap-ton of peer-reviewed studies in return. She posted a thing in all caps saying that she was being attacked and called me a hypocrite. I told her that insisting upon actual EVIDENCE of her claims is not attacking anyone and that I had in no way called her names or attacked her beliefs and that I was fighting for her rights just as much as anyone else's.

She blocked me from seeing her posts right after that, but she doesn't realize that I can still see the replies she makes on public pages, all of which are nasty things about how poor people don't deserve a living wage, how awful everybody different than her is, etc.

The crazy part is that this is all super recent. She spent several years in the army. No deployments that I know of, but she did some traveling and met all kinds of different people. She has also lived many places throughout the country. She had an unexpected out of wedlock pregnancy in her late teens. She considered abortion, then I heard she had a miscarriage. I'm pretty sure she had an abortion and lied to the family so they wouldn't be mad at her. This craziness has only been the last couple of years. 

Anyway, I know this is really long but it's been really getting to me for a while. 

@CrazyLurkerLady The Activist Mommy's page is completely full of people like your cousin. Her willfull ignorance is infuriating. I truly hope she gets a swift kick in the ass one day but I doubt it. The willfully ignorant tend to stay that way until their dying day. 

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

@CrazyLurkerLady The Activist Mommy's page is completely full of people like your cousin. Her willfull ignorance is infuriating. I truly hope she gets a swift kick in the ass one day but I doubt it. The willfully ignorant tend to stay that way until their dying day. 

Yea I have fundie fb friends who love her. 

I saw a fundy woman at the gym last week! While I was on the treadmill I could see her in the gymnasium playing basketball. She had super long hair that was not tied back and was wearing a long T-shirt with capri leggings underneath of a knee length skirt with her white running shoes. She was adorably uncoordinated and gave the most awkward high fives. It was much more entertaining to watch than the TV in front of me.

I think I saw a fundie family on Saturday afternoon. I live in a popular tourist area of Northern Ireland but I've never seen anything like these people before. 

There was a man, woman, a teenage girl and boy, 2 or 3 younger girls, a toddler and a baby. 

All the males were in kaki's and polo shirts. What stood out to me though was the women. All in straight skirts that came below the knee, high neck long sleeved frumpy tops and the younger girls skirts were denim. All the women had long hair with some pulled back in a clip while the men all had sharp hair cuts. They were watching a parade and taking pictures. 

I was rushing to beat the parade to the top of the street to cross over before it got that far but they made me stop in my tracks because I was so shocked to see apparent fundies like that around here. It was strange 

• 2 weeks later...

My life is one long series of real life fundie encounters. This weekend my brother walked in while Mr EW was cooking breakfast (freeing me up to do something I needed to do) and told the Mr that "he'd make someone a good wife one day." 

10 hours ago, EowynW said:

My life is one long series of real life fundie encounters. This weekend my brother walked in while Mr EW was cooking breakfast (freeing me up to do something I needed to do) and told the Mr that "he'd make someone a good wife one day." 

Did Mr. EW laugh it off or pop him in the mouth? 

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Did Mr. EW laugh it off or pop him in the mouth? 

He laughed it off. That's just how he is. The most laid back guy I know. 

Mr. Four and I went south in order to see the total eclipse. During our stay at our hotel, we met some people on the elevator, as you do. Fella started talking about how they were returning home from southern Florida. So, I said, "you're stopping here, then tomorrow you finish your trip? (To PA)  "Oh, no", pipes up a boy... I'm guessing about 13. "Tomorrow, we're going to the Ark Encounter."

I managed to swallow my immediate laugh and sneer, and look thoughtful, and say, "I've heard about that place." And managed not to say anything more.

And the boy says, "You've never been? It's very informative. You should go."

Thankfully, we made it to our floor by then, although I think the kid and Pop would have stayed talking to us about it... 

Then I had to tell Mr. Four about the debacle that is the Ark Encounter. In our hotel room. In private.

• 2 weeks later...

I was taking a walk in the park today when I saw a probably-fundie family: mother, father, and 5 under 6 I'd estimate. Three kids (two girls and a boy) were running around having a good time and each parent was pushing a stroller with a baby/toddler (I didn't look too hard). The mom had a hip-length braid, and she and the girls were wearing below-the-knee skirts over leggings and bandannas on the back of their heads like kerchiefs. The dad was clean-shaven and wearing a long-sleeved T-shirt and cargo pants, and the boy was wearing a long-sleeved T-shirt and track pants. They were all dressed relatively colorfully and one of the girls had silver sparkly shoes. Any idea on denomination?

I live near Pensacola Christian College and will be in town today and have always wanted to see it so... I will update when I return on any sightings.

On 8/7/2017 at 0:41 PM, feministxtian said:

WHAT?! I am so sorry to hear that. Seems really insensitive. My father once told me that he wanted my half sisters mom to get an abortion and she refused and that is why he should not have to pay child support. Some people are totally out to lunch.

3 hours ago, Hufflepuffpride said:

WHAT?! I am so sorry to hear that. Seems really insensitive. My father once told me that he wanted my half sisters mom to get an abortion and she refused and that is why he should not have to pay child support. Some people are totally out to lunch.

She decided that I was utterly incompetent as a mother and had no business having more children. Then the shit REALLY hit the fan when child #2 was a boy...which was what she wanted...she was disappointed when I was born a girl and then had the dream of a son ripped from her when my brother died due to prematurity in 1966. She resented the HELL out of me...and pretty much hated my guts. Its ok though, the feeling was mutual. 

4 hours ago, feministxtian said:

She decided that I was utterly incompetent as a mother and had no business having more children. Then the shit REALLY hit the fan when child #2 was a boy...which was what she wanted...she was disappointed when I was born a girl and then had the dream of a son ripped from her when my brother died due to prematurity in 1966. She resented the HELL out of me...and pretty much hated my guts. Its ok though, the feeling was mutual. 

Well at least now you can have as little contact with her as you want! Plus you have great examples about how not to raise children!

@feministxtian, my mom and her mother were both the first-born children in their families, and both of their fathers had wanted boys and insisted on calling them a boy's name instead of their real name when they were little kids. It certainly wasn't as bad as what you went through, but it was still weird and I don't doubt that it made my mother and grandmother feel less valued for who they were. Anyway, I've seen you talk about your mom on other threads, too, and I'm truly sorry she was so awful to you.

7 hours ago, Corntree said:

@feministxtian, my mom and her mother were both the first-born children in their families, and both of their fathers had wanted boys and insisted on calling them a boy's name instead of their real name when they were little kids. It certainly wasn't as bad as what you went through, but it was still weird and I don't doubt that it made my mother and grandmother feel less valued for who they were. Anyway, I've seen you talk about your mom on other threads, too, and I'm truly sorry she was so awful to you.

There was an upside to the mother's shit. It made me tough as nails. 

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic

Archived